Pareto's Principle for Size and Strength

I am after some feedback on my current program. I am trying to keep the program as simple as possible whilst getting the best returns, as I just don’t have the time to be spending hours and hours training.

Goals are

1. Improve strength in Deadlift, Power Clean and Squat (I have quantified this but will need to amend the timelines; I would like to achieve 250kg, 100kg and 250kg respectively; currently at around 200kg, 95kg, 200kg based on 5RM estimates.

2. Improve size, specifically chest (+4"), upper arms (+1.5"), quads (+1") and calves (+1.5").

In many ways, much of this is a return to how I was a few years ago. My all time 1RMs were 240kg, 100kg and 235kg respectively.

I currently do a variation of Madcow 5x5 for my Back Squats which sees me squat 3 x week. This is going quite well, however I have noticed it is having a lot less of a positive impact on quad size than I expected (but strength still going up); when I have done 5/3/1 etc in the past, my legs have grown more. As well as squats, I am doing RDL for volume 3 x week. Normally 4 sets of 12 around 50-60% 1RM.

I pull three times per week; Row on a Monday, Deadlift on a Wednesday and Power Cleans on a Friday, all using the same loading parameters as 5x5. I also do chin ups 3 x week. Back and arms strength and size progressing nicely.

For pressing, I currently do 4 sets of 12 on DB bench press, followed by 4 sets of 12 weighted dips on paralettes. Chest is coming up nicely again and pressing strength is coming up also.

So, the questions / opinions:

1. Lose the DB bench press in favour of an overhead exercise? Strict press? Push press? What parameters?

2. Lose RDL in favour of a more taxing quad exercise? Or split for 2 sets quads, 2 sets hams? Will my pulling be enough for hams?

Keen to see what others would suggest.

Thanks!

1 Like

Will it matter in 5 years?

To be honest I don’t think it matters much unless your progress has stagnated and you’re sure that stagnation is a result of training. Which of these options will motivate you to train the hardest and the most consistently?

2 Likes

This is so true

It’s all about training hard. If you’re not then you’re fucked

I mean, it kinda seems like you shouldn’t change a single thing with your upper body training and should go back to programming 5/3/1 for lower body training. No?

2 Likes

i’d finish the run of madcow and then evaluate, prob move on to a 3 day 5/3/1 template

-as a short term blast this worth considering/really boosts cleans…

Thanks everyone for the input so far, food for thought there, definately!