Our Country is on it's Way Down the Toilet

[quote]Vires Eternus wrote:
LarryDavid wrote:
horsepuss wrote:
Like muslims allowed free speach within our borders.I think reasons like that are what is really gonna be the downfall of this land.

Are you for real? And no one else said anything about this-some people in the thread even agreed with this.

WTF

EDIT: I missed Chi Towns first post, and Iron Dwarf’s post didn’t show up until now, but still, what fuck is up with the people agreeing?

Freedom and security are by their nature mutually exclusive.

Right leaning conservatives are generally more comfortable with giving up a relative amount of freedom in exchange for greater security, while left leaning liberals are generally more confortable sacrificing absolute security in exchange for a greater range of freedom. Viewpoints tend to range wildly in both directions, and strong opinions are magnetic. You will either be attracted or repulsed based on your polarity.[/quote]

Virus Eternus… that is completely wrong. The fundamental tenant of “leaning to the right” is the belief in small government. Small government = less government control = MORE freedom.

It is so unfortunate that the vast majority of the American population does not understand the political spectrum at all, and instead gets all it’s preconceived notions from the media. And just incase this comes up, Republican does NOT = conservative. Republican is a party, conservative is a political belief system.

As far as the original topic talking about how parenting is at the cause of childhood obesity… I believe the collapse of the traditional American family is the real cause of the downturn in America as a whole. More specifically, girls getting pregnant and having illegitimate children that are deemed to grow up with a much higher chance of committing crimes and draining the American justice system. This also turns into a huge drain on the health system and causes higher taxes etc…

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:
Are you for real? And no one else said anything about this-some people in the thread even agreed with this.

WTF

EDIT: I missed Chi Towns first post, and Iron Dwarf’s post didn’t show up until now, but still, what fuck is up with the people agreeing?[/quote]

The “politicaly correct” people make me sick. What part of “the terrorists want to kill us” don’t you understand?"

In World War II, would it have been acceptable to you that I go around waiving a Nazi flag screaming “sieg heil” in front of the White House?

[quote]Sanitarium wrote:
Vires Eternus wrote:
LarryDavid wrote:
horsepuss wrote:
Like muslims allowed free speach within our borders.I think reasons like that are what is really gonna be the downfall of this land.

WTF

EDIT: I missed Chi Towns first post, and Iron Dwarf’s post didn’t show up until now, but still, what fuck is up with the people agreeing?

Freedom and security are by their nature mutually exclusive.

Right leaning conservatives are generally more comfortable with giving up a relative amount of freedom in exchange for greater security, while left leaning liberals are generally more confortable sacrificing absolute security in exchange for a greater range of freedom. Viewpoints tend to range wildly in both directions, and strong opinions are magnetic. You will either be attracted or repulsed based on your polarity.

Virus Eternus… that is completely wrong. The fundamental tenant of “leaning to the right” is the belief in small government. Small government = less government control = MORE freedom.

It is so unfortunate that the vast majority of the American population does not understand the political spectrum at all, and instead gets all it’s preconceived notions from the media. And just incase this comes up, Republican does NOT = conservative. Republican is a party, conservative is a political belief system.

As far as the original topic talking about how parenting is at the cause of childhood obesity… I believe the collapse of the traditional American family is the real cause of the downturn in America as a whole. More specifically, girls getting pregnant and having illegitimate children that are deemed to grow up with a much higher chance of committing crimes and draining the American justice system. This also turns into a huge drain on the health system and causes higher taxes etc…[/quote]

Holy shit, did an 09’er just make a spot on, good post? Fucking win for the forum!

V

[quote]rich44 wrote:
<<< involved parents. >>>[/quote]

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
<<< Raise your children properly >>>[/quote]

This is THE key to everything. EVERYTHING, not just obesity, but since marriage and the family are dying so is everything else.

[quote]AmericanGirl wrote:
There’s definitely some symbolism to America’s obesity problem in relation to the way American government runs. I suppose it gives a whole new meaning to being “spoon fed” rather than doing things through hard-work and dedication. [/quote]

If I am understanding this the way I hope I am there is a smattering of brilliance here.

[quote]mtylermartin wrote:
I think you’re giving people too much credit, Rich. There are plenty of people in this country that are fat simply because they are lazy, but obesity probably has more to do with a lack of education. I was watching a Discovery Health program about an 1100 lb. man the other day and aside from being completely immobile, his biggest problem was denial. After numerous surgeries (including gastric bypass), and a 600 lb. weight loss, this guy was convinced that he 1) didn’t eat any more than you or I do and 2) that he could “crush” any person who told him that he couldn’t have something.

Generally speaking if you ask an obese person why they are fat, they are going to tell you some interesting things. The first thing they’ll tell you is that they don’t weigh anywhere near their actual weight (ie… a 500 lb. person will tell you they weight 300) and that they don’t overeat.

I know what it feels like to be ~40-50% BF. The intense denial is paired with lethargy and a complete lack of self confidence. It’s easy to look back and say, “man how did I ever get there?” But the actuality of it was that I was never taught how to eat correctly. I thought “eating well” was having equal parts mashed potatoes (eat your vegetables kids!) and chicken fried steak (my mother actually told me that this, being meat, had no calories).

From here it would be easy to blame my mother, but her parents preached this crap to her and their parents and so on. Somebody has to break the chain. I don’t think this problem will be solved until the ideology behind wellness really hits mainstream, but as far as down the toilet I think our country is not. My two pennies anyways! [/quote]

I agree that lack of knowledge on the subject is a big part of the problem. I was more talking about the bad habit of people in our country wanting to label everything as a medical condition and just handing out drugs that do nothing to solve the problem. I am a certified personal trainer so I know first hand that education can solve the problem. I have had many clients change their lives once given the knowledge. Personally I believe that all schools should be required to teach basic nutrition and fitness to students. Unfortunately changing the ideology is difficult.

As for the rest of the replies, yes I am not happy with the government and the way they are handling many situations but I did not want to get into that knowing the can of worms it would open. I believe all religions should be free to worship their own as long as it does not lead to violent acts. I know that members of all religious groups have done really dumb things “in the name of religion” to get a point across so no religion is perfect. That being said people who condemn a whole religion due to the acts a few are just ignorant. My main concern with the government is that the current administration is going to spend money we do not have and the people who suffer will be us in the middle class as always. Obama is no better than anyone else he is just as mush a crook. If he wants to help us he needs to reverse what that idiot Clinton did with opening our borders to free trade and removing taxes for importing goods allowing companies like Intel Corp to close plants here and send jobs overseas to make more money creating unemployment issues. Also lets not close GTMO just to bring these dangerous people into our country so that when they get out they are already on US soil. This one really pisses me off. Oh and don’t get me started on the health care crap they are trying to pass. I do not feel that the government has the right to force us to get health insurance let alone fine people $15,000 for not having it. They need to approach this from a different angle. First regulate cost of health insurance or create jobs that pay well enough for employees to get health insurance. What about all the people losing their jobs due to closures and layoffs no money coming in = no money going out. As for illegal aliens just ship them back and stop giving them welfare.

Alright, no one should have there freedom of speech taken away.

But, what was this nonsense that Conservatives give up freedom for security but Liberals give up security for freedom?

I will give you Neo cons give up freedom for security but Liberals sure as fuck give up freedoms for security too.

Look at what Liberals(Obama) are trying to start in Iran. They sure as fuck don’t have a problem ignoring property rights. If anyone denies this I say look at your fucking paycheck. Look at how they bastardize the Rich.

Its because of stupid statements on both sides that are given in this thread that we need to Revamp voting. We need to put some rules in place.

[quote]John S. wrote:
<<< Its because of stupid statements on both sides that are given in this thread that we need to Revamp voting. We need to put some rules in place.[/quote]

Uh… wouldn’t this be taking away somebody else’s freedom for your security?

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
John S. wrote:
<<< Its because of stupid statements on both sides that are given in this thread that we need to Revamp voting. We need to put some rules in place.

Uh… wouldn’t this be taking away somebody else’s freedom for your security?[/quote]

You used to have to be a land owner to vote. I don’t think having it be a requirement that people take a class on the Constitution before they are given there right to vote would be a bad idea.

How are you supposed to vote to follow something when you don’t understand it?

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
horsepuss wrote:
Iron Dwarf wrote:
Living well is the best revenge. Raise your children properly and you help reduce the problem for generations to come.

Too many crybabies around here lately.

And Horsepuss, if you expect your gov to limit rights of legal Muslims in the US, then what racial, ethnic, or faith group is next? Think about it. “Sieg Heil”

I dont remember learning about all the radical germany hating jews preachng there hatred for germany on street corners and trying to recruit deciples.

So to help you out…you meant radical muslims…not ALL muslims…right?[/quote]

My bad Big_Boss yes i mean Radical america hating Muslims, the other normal ones are fine.

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
Standard Donkey wrote:
bluefingas wrote:
horsepuss wrote:
You think this country is ging down the shitter because of the fat people.

I can think of lots and lots of thing that piss me off more than the fatties.

That and politicians

x2
Plus shit like spending tax payer money on programs for illegal immigrants.
I don’t care about obesity. I’m not fat, so fuck it. Let fat people do what they want. Being obese is a choice.

Well how then are liberals supposed to get elected?

illegal immigrants are Americans too.

Illegal immigrants are americans too, are you refering to the fact that mexico and sout america are AMERICA.

In that sense you are wrong.
[/quote]

sarcasm eludes you

[quote]Sanitarium wrote:

As far as the original topic talking about how parenting is at the cause of childhood obesity… I believe the collapse of the traditional American family is the real cause of the downturn in America as a whole. More specifically, girls getting pregnant and having illegitimate children that are deemed to grow up with a much higher chance of committing crimes and draining the American justice system. This also turns into a huge drain on the health system and causes higher taxes etc…[/quote]

Now you are speaking my language. Damn right here.

[quote]John S. wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
John S. wrote:
<<< Its because of stupid statements on both sides that are given in this thread that we need to Revamp voting. We need to put some rules in place.

Uh… wouldn’t this be taking away somebody else’s freedom for your security?

You used to have to be a land owner to vote. I don’t think having it be a requirement that people take a class on the Constitution before they are given there right to vote would be a bad idea.

How are you supposed to vote to follow something when you don’t understand it?[/quote]

OK, what if somebody just doesn’t want to take that class? Is it not an infringement on his freedom to require that he does before he can vote?

Should an honest man of character be denied his vote because he was born into poverty and hasn’t had the opportunity to become a land owner yet though he may be presently working his ass off? What if someone is renting a million dollar home, but doesn’t own it? What if he does own 20 cars, but no land?

I’m not even necessarily disagreeing with the thrust of your thought overall, but there is a larger point here. Everybody… liberals, conservatives, neocons (whatever that is exactly) blah blah blah all advocate limiting freedom in some way. Government by definition is the community wide limitation of freedoms (here come Lifty and Orion).

The question is never whether freedoms should be limited, but what limitations and to what degree they are.

I will say again, when there is a serviceable private preponderance of consensus regarding what these limitations should and shouldn’t be very little public limitation is necessary. When there isn’t, none will ever be enough.

When I said land owner, I was simply implying that it has been done before. Tho I see the reason behind what they did I think it was a bit extreme.

We have to follow the constitution right? So before one can vote he must at least understand it.

Its not really a hard document to understand, A weeks worth of class should be enough.

If you let everyone vote uniformed you get unconstitutional stuff like Income tax, undeclared wars and a bunch of failed social programs.

Have the states put the class in high school, make it mandatory that students take the class. Bam, everyone still gets to vote, and everyone will be informed.

[quote]John S. wrote:
<<< Have the states put the class in high school, make it mandatory that students take the class. Bam, everyone still gets to vote, and everyone will be informed.
[/quote]

And you’ll have a bunch of ACLU types writing the curriculum for the unions and the students will “learn” that the current power structure in DC is what America is all about.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
John S. wrote:
<<< Have the states put the class in high school, make it mandatory that students take the class. Bam, everyone still gets to vote, and everyone will be informed.

And you’ll have a bunch of ACLU types writing the curriculum for the unions and the students will “learn” that the current power structure in DC is what America is all about.[/quote]

No, because once you start talking about James Madison the ACLU arguments will go out the window.

Personally I would have Judge Napolitano write out the class.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

The question is never whether freedoms should be limited, but what limitations and to what degree they are.

[/quote]

The more fundamental questions are “what is freedom” and what "freedoms do you have the right to limit-

[quote]John S. wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
John S. wrote:

And you’ll have a bunch of ACLU types writing the curriculum for the unions and the students will “learn” that the current power structure in DC is what America is all about.

No, because once you start talking about James Madison the ACLU arguments will go out the window.

Personally I would have Judge Napolitano write out the class.

[/quote]

Come on man. You can’t possibly believe this public education system will start talking about James Madison in a positive light or allow Joe Napolitano within 20 miles of that curriculum. Napolitano isn’t perfect anyway, but nobody is.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

Granted,they can be legal and regulated like alcohol…BUT how would you determine if a person is within a “legal limit” of being high on crack cocaine,heroin,or meth??
[/quote]

You’ve got laws on the books now against public intoxication, include drug use into these laws.

Legalize it, then come down on people if they are walking around in public, committing crimes, or driving while high.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

Come on man. You can’t possibly believe this public education system will start talking about James Madison in a positive light or allow Joe Napolitano within 20 miles of that curriculum. Napolitano isn’t perfect anyway, but nobody is.[/quote]

Could it be done right now? No. Give it 2-3 years when where in the Inflation process and the masses will start listening to guys like Napolitano, While they may not be perfect they know more about the constitution then anyone alive today.

[quote]Vegita wrote:

Holy shit, did an 09’er just make a spot on, good post? Fucking win for the forum!

V[/quote]

Thanks V, hopefully it wasn’t a one-and-done