Only Christians are his family

Way to go Alabama. Zeb will love this POS.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_alabama_governor_christians

New Ala. gov: Just Christians are his family
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. â?? Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley told a church crowd just moments into his new administration that those who have not accepted Jesus as their savior are not his brothers and sisters, shocking some critics who questioned Tuesday whether he can be fair to non-Christians.

“Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I’m telling you, you’re not my brother and you’re not my sister, and I want to be your brother,” Bentley said Monday, his inauguration day, according to The Birmingham News.

The Anti-Defamation League on Tuesday called Bentley’s remarks shocking.

“His comments are not only offensive, but also raise serious questions as to whether non-Christians can expect to receive equal treatment during his tenure as governor,” said Bill Nigut, the ADL’s regional director.

[Read more: The First Amendment, explained]

Speaking at Dexter Avenue King Memorial Church after the official inaugural ceremony, Bentley told the crowd that he considered anyone who believed in Jesus to be his brothers and sisters regardless of color, but anyone who isn’t a Christian doesn’t have that same relationship to him.

“If the Holy Spirit lives in you that makes you my brothers and sisters. Anyone who has not accepted Jesus, I want to be your brothers and sisters, too,” Bentley said.

After his speech, Bentley said he did not mean to insult anyone.

Responding to questions about it, Bentley’s office released a statement Tuesday saying he believes “he is the governor of all of Alabama.”

“The governor clearly stated that he will be the governor of all Alabamians Ã?¢â?‰?? Democrat, Republican and Independent, young, old, black and white, rich and poor. As stated in his (inaugural) address, Gov. Bentley believes his job is to make everyone’s lives better,” the statement said.

Ashfaq Taufique, president of the Birmingham Islamic Society, told The Birmingham News he wasn’t sure how Bentley’s remarks were intended.

“Does it mean that those who according to him are not saved are less important than those who are saved?” Taufique said. “Does he want those of us who do not belong to the Christian faith to adopt his faith? That should be toned down. That’s not what we need. If he means that, I hope he changes it. We don’t want evangelical politicians. They can be whatever in their private life.”

The official with the Anti-Defamation League, which fights discrimination against Jewish people, said it sounded like Bentley was using the office of governor to advocate for Christian conversion.

“If he does so, he is dancing dangerously close to a violation of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which forbids government from promoting the establishment of any religion,” Nigut said.

This is blown out of proportion. He recognizes with Christians more b/c he is a Christian.
His statement is correct in the context that it is used, ie, if you haven’t accepted JC as your saviour then you’re not apart of his church, this is a fact in the context that it was used. If he states trying to baptize and circumcise then I’d be really concerned.
Would people get mad at him if he said he was closer to his family than strangers? I don’t think so.
Context.

The usage of that word IN CONTEXT of a speech at a christian church is brothers and sisters IN CHRIST. So, no, if you have not accepted Jesus then you aren’t his brother or sister. He is stating a fact.

This is an outrage fail.

He didn’t say anything wrong or biased.

In other news. Obama claimed to be a Democrat. Can you believe that? Does this mean that he thinks non-democrates are less important? Does this mean that He will act in a way biased against republicans? Does he desire for Americans to join his liberal ideology?

I say yes, yes, yes. The defamation league should do something about this.

Sorry I just had to repost that you were getting mad that a Christian claimed that only other Christians were his brothers in Christ. I’m sorry if you want him to accept non-Christians as brothers in Christ, but that is just beyond retard.

Sometimes I think you just completely shut down the logical/rational part of your brain

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Sorry I just had to repost that you were getting mad that a Christian claimed that only other Christians were his brothers in Christ. I’m sorry if you want him to accept non-Christians as brothers in Christ, but that is just beyond retard.

Sometimes I think you just completely shut down the logical/rational part of your brain[/quote]

There’s really no need to question those things at this point is there? fightingIrish has always been just a tad slow to connect the dots, yet fast on the trigger when it comes to posting. It’s a really bad combination, for him. For the rest of us on the other hand it’s free entertainment. The gift that just keeps giving.

No. You run a state, and you’re telling people “You’re not my brother if you’re not christian.”

Well hey, fuck you too.

Keep your bullshit to yourself. You say things like that in public right after you get in, and don’t be surprised if people of other denominations look and laugh at you for the idiot you are. Nothing like bringing people together through politics, especially in what’s known to be one of the famously racist and discrimanatory states throughout the country’s history.

And as far as me shutting off the rational part of my brain, you’re the people that believe in worldwide floods, talking snakes, rib-women, and zombies rising from the dead. Let’s not get into what’s logical here.

It was out of line period. Elected officials should only go so far as explain their religion, and not belittle others for not accepting those views. It’s just as bad as a Muslim congressman saying the same about Islam.

However, I will say that if it were a muslim governor who said something similar…the story would be buried, and only covered by talk radio and Fox News.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
No. You run a state, and you’re telling people “You’re not my brother if you’re not christian.”

Well hey, fuck you too.

Keep your bullshit to yourself. You say things like that in public right after you get in, and don’t be surprised if people of other denominations look and laugh at you for the idiot you are. Nothing like bringing people together through politics, especially in what’s known to be one of the famously racist and discrimanatory states throughout the country’s history.

And as far as me shutting off the rational part of my brain, you’re the people that believe in worldwide floods, talking snakes, rib-women, and zombies rising from the dead. Let’s not get into what’s logical here.[/quote]

“You say things like that in public”

“Speaking at Dexter Avenue King Memorial Church” “told a church crowd”
You must have missed something. He was in a freaking church Rosie.

But you go ahead and keep shouting something about racism. I swear there isn’t a situation in the world that a lib can’t link to race. Yes, Rosie, he is obviously racist, thanks for bringing that to light.

I’m not even sure who you were addressing in the last part, it sure as hell wasn’t me.

So, the defamation league should investigate Obama for not including me when addressing democrats?

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
It was out of line period. Elected officials should only go so far as explain their religion, and not belittle others for not accepting those views. It’s just as bad as a Muslim congressman saying the same about Islam.

However, I will say that if it were a muslim governor who said something similar…the story would be buried, and only covered by talk radio and Fox News.[/quote]

In context it sounds more like he is saying he wants them to become his brothers in Christ, which any christian should want.

It shows he cares about his constituents. He cares about their souls.

The verbiage is not demeaning anyone, even as cut and taken out of context as it is.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

However, I will say that if it were a muslim governor who said something similar…the story would be buried, and only covered by talk radio and Fox News.[/quote]

He was speaking to church goers in a church. I wouldn’t care if a Muslim official said something similar in a mosque or a Jewish guy in a synagogue.

He was even reaching out to non-christians. He never said anything even remotely biased.

A christian only says other christians are his brother’s and sisters in christ. CRAZY!

So, Rosie, stuff like this must really piss you off huh?:

"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me to “recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:”

Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the favorable interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enable to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand, at the city of New York, the 3d day of October, A.D. 1789."

Pretty much the whole founding of this country has to make people like you mad.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

He was speaking to church goers in a church. I wouldn’t care if a Muslim official said something similar in a mosque or a Jewish guy in a synagogue.

He was even reaching out to non-christians. He never said anything even remotely biased.[/quote]

It was in a Christian Church? I take it back.

It has a steeple and everything.

I agree that if this had been in public as part of the official inauguration this would be different, but it wasn’t. It wasn’t part of the inauguration and it was in a church speaking to church members. That is completely different.

How many Christians here feel it is their obligation to try and convert (save) the nonbelievers?

Given that it was in a church, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. However, I do question the guy’s political savvy.

[quote]forlife wrote:
…However, I do question the guy’s political savvy.[/quote]

That may be very true. On the other hand, he did win his race.

[quote]doogie wrote:
How many Christians here feel it is their obligation to try and convert (save) the nonbelievers? [/quote]

Technically speaking, the answer to that question is 100%.

If a Muslim governor of a state said this, you’d be tripping over yourselves to put his head on a pike while hoisting your crosses.

Because a christian said it, you’re cool with.

Bunch of fucking hypocrites.