Occupy Wall Street

"i am a 19 year old student with 18 credit hours and 2 part time jobs. i am over 4000 dollars in debt but my paychecks are just enough to get me to school and back. next year my plan was to attend a 4 year college and get my bfa, but now i am afraid that without a co-signer i will have no shot at a loan and even if i can get a loan i am afraid that i will leave college with no future and a crippling debt. as a family we are losing our home. my mother lost her job and hasnt been able to find one. we are all living paycheck to paycheck. the stress is taking physical tolls on all of us but i still consider myself one of the lucky ones

we are angry, we are stressed, we are so fucking tired."

[quote]Rohnyn wrote:

[quote]ironcross wrote:

[quote]Bujo wrote:
HaHaHaHaHa!

She paid $100k for a history degree. [i]A history degree.[/i]

Seriously, what was she planning on doing with a history degree that would net her a return on the $100k she invested into getting it?

If you’re going to invest $100k into an education then everything you sign should start with Dr. and end with Ph.D. For fuck’s sake invest in a field that will net you a return.[/quote]

It’s so sad. This is what I was talking about in my thread “get rid of jobless people”. People in America are brought up under the retarded notion that they can be anything they want and they should really figure out what THEY WANT to study, not what they NEED to study. I will leave it to the Asians, who tell their kids not to study worthless subjects, to slap them upside the financial head.[/quote]
Well on their website I have seen 2 asians by the second page…jussayin.

I agree tho, ‘degree spoiled’ is my new term. It implies those who had the notiont hat getting a billion in debt in some worthless humanity was a good idea, and now are bitching and moaning cuz they feel gipped.

On one hand, I think theya re morons because they shouldn’t have gone with the sheeple and thot for themselves.

On the other hand, that has been the general theme of society for the past 20 years, the k-12 public school system basically telling you to go to Uni and study ‘what you want.’

At the end of a day, man must take responsibity for himself, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t outright misleading if not predatory influences among those are supposed to be guides nowadays tho.[/quote]

Investing in a system that could eliminate most of the uncertainty in picking a career path that has a goal would definitely stimulate the economy. Job exist; not everyone is bright enough to find them. Do we want to wait around for them to catch up, or do we want to speed up the whole process for everyone?

Good posts CappedAndPlanit.

[quote]CappedAndPlanIt wrote:

Read a few pages, and reconsider.[/quote]

Wait, am I supposed to feel sympathy after reading these? Well it’s not working. Some I laugh at, some I shake my head, and some I even feel contempt. The vast majority just come off as generic, life-isn’t-fair, woe-is-me whining.

Also, most of these signs are people complaining about situations they put themselves in – student debt, single motherhood, high rent, etc. Where’s the personal accountability? Don’t want a lot of student debt? Go to an in-state school. Work more. Go to school part-time. Can’t afford to raise kids? Don’t have them. Don’t have any more. Rent too expensive? Move somewhere cheaper. Get a roommate. Now I eagerly await the responses explaining why these are unreasonable solutions.

[quote]malonetd wrote:

Wait, am I supposed to feel sympathy after reading these? [/quote]

No. You’re supposed to understand that “Just work hard and you’ll be fine!” is a myth, that hardworking, educated people getting fucked over all the time.

And, yes, of course, I forget that every problem in every persons life is as simple as a three word answer. Kids can just be unborn, which doesn’t matter since they’re all planned for. Any person at any time can just “move somewhere cheaper”. Every in-state college offers the same courses as out of state colleges.

And what about the people who are in a bad position due to illness. Oh. Right. “Just dont get sick”. More words of wisdom, I’m sure.

[quote]malonetd wrote:

Wait, am I supposed to feel sympathy after reading these? Well it’s not working. Some I laugh at, some I shake my head, and some I even feel contempt. The vast majority just come off as generic, life-isn’t-fair, woe-is-me whining.

Also, most of these signs are people complaining about situations they put themselves in – student debt, single motherhood, high rent, etc. Where’s the personal accountability? Don’t want a lot of student debt? Go to an in-state school. Work more. Go to school part-time. Can’t afford to raise kids? Don’t have them. Don’t have any more. Rent too expensive? Move somewhere cheaper. Get a roommate. Now I eagerly await the responses explaining why these are unreasonable solutions.[/quote]

Good post.

The majority of these folks took on a TON of debt and put them selves in situations where the TINIEST thing could sink their ship.

I’m very sorry that your general studies degree from Fordham did not get you the 100K job they promised you in 06’

And maybe don’t sign a lease in NYC that takes up 60% of your income at the time.

Also, CaptainPlanet…are you really saying that people keep having kids because they HAVE too, because they depend on the welfare that those children bring in to live on?

That’s your argument FOR entitlements?

No wonder the euro’s love your arguments.

Does anyone know of any studies or estimates of what the unemployment rate would be if people were willing to move for work? There are jobs out there, but I have gotten the impression some people feel it isn’t worth it to move.

I realize that perfect labour mobility is impossible, and that there are cases where it is unrealistic to expect people to move halfway across the country, but I am pretty confident that a sizeable percentage has no real excuse.

In my region, and the province in general, there are many positions that have been unfilled for several years. The recession did very little to decent worker in my town, other than switching employers. On the other hand, a couple of friends in Toronto, and my mother in law in Vancouver were either unemployed, or working shitty jobs they were overqualified for. I told them they should move out here, they can stay with me while they look for work, or they could stay with other friends in other cities for a few weeks while they look for work. I told them the local McDonalds was paying the same as what they were making at their current jobs, and the cost of living is lower. None of them would even entertain the idea, and while none of them are unemployed right now, they are definitely underemployed.

These protests are fantastic. And they’re spreading. It’s awesome. Like a tea party without the idiots.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
These protests are fantastic. And they’re spreading. It’s awesome. Like a tea party without the idiots.[/quote]

Yeah, all the tats, facial piercings, dreadlocks, and down right stoned out of their mind expressions gave me the same impression.

Anyone else read their “demands?” Talk about ruination. 20/hr minimum wage?! And tax hikes? Think unemployment is bad now…These folks have done one too many whippets

Let’s not forget the spinelessness came from BOTH sides of the isle, when it came to punish the idiots who got the bailout…and then got right back to business as usual.

[quote]Sloth wrote:

These protests are fantastic. And they’re spreading. It’s awesome. Like a tea party without the idiots.[/quote]

Yeah, all the tats, facial piercings, dreadlocks, and down right stoned out of their mind expressions gave me the same impression.

Anyone else read their “demands?” Talk about ruination. 20/hr minimum wage?! And tax hikes? Think unemployment is bad now…These folks have done one too many whippets[/quote]

Ah yes. People with tattoos and piercings are clearly not educated.

I bet there’s no soldiers in that crowd, no educated professionals, no college graduates, no regular working people.

You’re disgusting in your stereotyping but then I don’t expect much from the blowjob barn down here.

Either way, they’re out there in the street pushing a populist agenda that the teabaggers couldn’t even fathom. It’s lovely.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

Also, CaptainPlanet…are you really saying that people keep having kids because they HAVE too, because they depend on the welfare that those children bring in to live on?

That’s your argument FOR entitlements?

No wonder the euro’s love your arguments.
[/quote]

I’m saying welfare is a trap.

I’m saying the focus should be on getting people to the point where they’re self sustaining, not throwing them crumbs and then letting them fend for themselves when they try to advance (such as the situation where government assistance is more than what they would get from going to work).

Its not an argument for entitlements. I keep forgetting that I have to avoid this board because every poster on the other side is going to twist whatever I say into infuriating strawman arguments, followed by insults.

Misrepresenting what I’ve said, and then making snarky comments based on that misrepresentation does not make you sly or witty. It makes you a stupid asshole.

This is the culmination of listening to teabagger horseshit, of watching a soon-to-be-recalled fascist governor strip workers collective bargaining and attempt to dismantle civil service, of watching that wealth disparity keep on growing while manufacturing leaves the country and the “job creators” are just SCARED TO DEATH so they sock their money away or create jobs only in other cheaper countries.

This is when we figure out that tax cuts for the rich don’t do shit for the rest of us, and that bailing out these fucking bankers so they can go back to giving themselves millions in severance pay and year-end bonuses does nothing but hurt us.

This is pure, unbridled populism, the reaction to the idiot wind that’s been blowing across this nation for the past few years since the T-baggers rose.

Here it comes.

You’re disgusting in your stereotyping but then I don’t expect much from the blowjob barn down here.

[/quote]

You’ve got a short memory.

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[/quote]

You’ve got a short memory.

I’ve seen enough of the t-baggers over the past three years to know who constitutes them and what they believe.

You don’t know shit about who’s out on Wall Street aside from the three clips you’ve seen on Fauxnews.

FauxNews will have to be much more careful who they interview after this.

Just another tattooed, uneducated, stoned out moron, right?

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/10/occupy-wall-street-protester-lectures-fox-news-reporter-video.php

FauxNews will have to be much more careful who they interview after this.

Just another tattooed, uneducated, stoned out moron, right?

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/10/occupy-wall-street-protester-lectures-fox-news-reporter-video.php

I can imagine the frantic search to find this gem among the rough. “Dude, not me, I’m like too high bro. Hey, get that guy to, like, speak for us and like, stuff.”

You don’t know shit about who’s out on Wall Street aside from the three clips you’ve seen on Fauxnews.
[/quote]

Nah, I snuck into the midst of them by wearing a Che t-shirt and liberal splashes of patchouli oil.

Right. Over 700 arrested so far, more than ALL those arrested at Tea Party rallies combined.

I see a bunch of white people there Irish, marching, protesting, shouting, with their signs…sounds like the recipe for a Klan rally.