Not Functional? That's a Load of #%$^

[quote]Melvin Smiley wrote:
jakshafter wrote:
Its low 90’s here and 80%+ humidity. Freaking sauna outside every day. It rained sunday and there was just steam outside.

No joke man. It’s so humid here in Arkansas today that my little weather clock thing says it’s raining.[/quote]

My fucking AC went out in my car yesterday. Central Ark was brutal. Swamp Ass.

You guys are all lucky.

It was 96 here today with about 80% humidity.

Now I’m off to lift in my non-air-conditioned garage.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
Professor X wrote:
greekdawg wrote:
Yea, but how many fucking 145 lb guys can actually lift 400?

That’s all I kept thinking about as I read that. Where the fuck are these guys who are bench pressing 400lbs at every workout for chest who only weigh 145lbs?

They sure as hell aren’t on this site.

Of course they are not on this site, silly, they are posing in the mirror at the squat rack with their medium under armour shirts. They are at GNC buying get huge powder.
They use the word like in every, like sentence. [/quote]

Like, your not going it right.

Its more like “They use the word like in like, every sentence.”

Its been fucking hot. But what’s new about it being hot in Alabama…

This has been a very successful hijack…

[quote]Professor X wrote:
greekdawg wrote:
Yea, but how many fucking 145 lb guys can actually lift 400?

That’s all I kept thinking about as I read that. Where the fuck are these guys who are bench pressing 400lbs at every workout for chest who only weigh 145lbs?

They sure as hell aren’t on this site. [/quote]

Joe Bradley did over 400 raw at 148, actually 396 at 132 in the early 80s. And I don’t think anyone since has done this raw. Maye 2-3, but very few.

So I would put the best ever at above 250 doing 500, but he’s still doing 500.

[quote]Neuromancer wrote:
Blaze_108 wrote:
I’m lean (most of you would say way too light), and i like lifting, so it’s probably to be assumed I’m part of the “functional strength” crowd. I admit, it is sometimes more impressive for me to see a 145lb guy benching 400 than a 250 benching 500.

However, i can’t just argue that the strength isn’t functional. You’re less likely to use certain lifts, like the bench press, but you still do, any time you push something away from your chest.

Today i was working for my mom (landlord), moving tens of packs of shingles(bout a 100lbs each), and i was thinking, if this isnt functional, what is? I deadlifted some, cleaned some, hell, there was a 4x3(rough estimate) table we couldn’t get onto the trailer without it being incredibly awkward, and i snatched it overhead, and stepped up. The table was around a hundred fifteen pounds. Maybe that’s light weight to you all, but i never could have done it without weight training.

In conclusion, nothing can truly be argued as not functional, there’s always some application in everyday life that can be made. If you want to, share some “functional experiences” that you have done with the benefit of weight training.

You trained some.

You did some manual labour.

You’re stoked.

Build a bridge.

Get over it.
[/quote]

Hell, we used to call it bringing in hay when I was a kid, hahaha!

[quote]Chewie wrote:
You guys are all lucky.

Now I’m off to lift in my non-air-conditioned garage. [/quote]

The thermo at work said 97-98 today. Of course, it’s just going to get worse. When August hits, I’ve got bat wings by 930 and have to change shirts after lunch. Gotta love living on the Gulf Coast eh?

[quote]Applesauce wrote:
Chewie wrote:
You guys are all lucky.

Now I’m off to lift in my non-air-conditioned garage.

The thermo at work said 97-98 today. Of course, it’s just going to get worse. When August hits, I’ve got bat wings by 930 and have to change shirts after lunch. Gotta love living on the Gulf Coast eh?[/quote]

The thermometer said 110 in August last year. I had bat wings walking to my car.

It’s nice here in San Diego. A cool marine layer that burns off in the afternoon for clear skies.

San Diego weather rules.

[quote]Agressive Napkin wrote:
It’s nice here in San Diego. A cool marine layer that burns off in the afternoon for clear skies.

San Diego weather rules.[/quote]

I’ve been to San Diego once. Awesome place. I stayed at a resort called paradise point and it was beautiful. Pennsylvania sucks weather wise it’s either snowing like hell or so hot and humid you can barely breathe…

105 today,sunny lovley I started hitting the lake instead of the indoor pool at the gym,still a bit cool though IMO.
couple weeks will be monsoon season with sticky 110 degree heat and thunderstorms that always flood out the nice neighborhoods.

it dont flood in the hood we just go swiming.
damnit people why the fuck you buy a hummer if your scared of a little water and dust.pansies

oh and you guys have no idea about heat untill you can walk outside at 3 am in flip flops and burn your feet on the pavement

Weather here’s been beautiful lately, if we get the pool opened up soon it’ll be a bit easier to stay cool.

On a side note, I’m hoping to get my permanent motorcycle license Thursday morning.

It’s been nice in Jersey. We haven’t hit 90 once yet, although it has been rainy alot. Fine drinkin weather though.

[quote]nichaaron wrote:

oh and you guys have no idea about heat untill you can walk outside at 3 am in flip flops and burn your feet on the pavement

[/quote]

Wow dude.

Well that’s what you get for wearing flip flops. No self respecting man does such things.

You never wear shoes that you can’t jump a fence in. It’s just a bad idea, cause… well you never know.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
It’s been nice in Jersey. We haven’t hit 90 once yet, although it has been rainy alot. Fine drinkin weather though.[/quote]

I have enough functional strength to drink in any type of weather. Including the power to chug a beer in 90mph winds, and the agility to drink from a yard glass while dodging golf ball sized hailstones.

Oh yeah, it’s raining here in CT right now.