T Nation

Not Functional? That's a Load of #%$^

I’m lean (most of you would say way too light), and i like lifting, so it’s probably to be assumed I’m part of the “functional strength” crowd. I admit, it is sometimes more impressive for me to see a 145lb guy benching 400 than a 250 benching 500.

However, i can’t just argue that the strength isn’t functional. You’re less likely to use certain lifts, like the bench press, but you still do, any time you push something away from your chest.

Today i was working for my mom (landlord), moving tens of packs of shingles(bout a 100lbs each), and i was thinking, if this isnt functional, what is? I deadlifted some, cleaned some, hell, there was a 4x3(rough estimate) table we couldn’t get onto the trailer without it being incredibly awkward, and i snatched it overhead, and stepped up. The table was around a hundred fifteen pounds. Maybe that’s light weight to you all, but i never could have done it without weight training.

In conclusion, nothing can truly be argued as not functional, there’s always some application in everyday life that can be made. If you want to, share some “functional experiences” that you have done with the benefit of weight training.

Yea let’s shoot this dead horse right in the fuckin face again…

I am banging my head against my keyboard. That’s right, Neck Flexion and Extension. Functional Baby.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Yea let’s shoot this dead horse right in the fuckin face again…[/quote]

lol

you cleaned some, deadlifted some, but you didn’t lay on a bench and press any did ya? yup, you just proved the bench press isn’t functional (way to go jackass)

/sarcasm

*/sarcasm is for the retarded that wouldn’t have caught on

Weighted hip thrusts are VERY functional.

(thrusts)

[quote]dk44 wrote:
I am banging my head against my keyboard. That’s right, Neck Flexion and Extension. Functional Baby.[/quote]

LOL!

why are you more impressed by a guy lifting the same proprotional amount of weight as a guy bigger than him just because hes smaller?

145 and 400
250 and 500

thats just a 100lb increase on both the man and the weight. i just feel like bustin chops.

Yea, but how many fucking 145 lb guys can actually lift 400?

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
Yea, but how many fucking 145 lb guys can actually lift 400?[/quote]

That’s all I kept thinking about as I read that. Where the fuck are these guys who are bench pressing 400lbs at every workout for chest who only weigh 145lbs?

They sure as hell aren’t on this site.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
greekdawg wrote:

That’s all I kept thinking about as I read that. Where the fuck are these guys who are bench pressing 400lbs at every workout for chest who only weigh 145lbs?

They sure as hell aren’t on this site. [/quote]

You said it!

Are you talking about a 250lb fatass or a built guy?

Unless he’s obese he’d be more impressive than the 145lb guy in both physique and strength.

[quote]Blaze_108 wrote:
I’m lean (most of you would say way too light), and i like lifting, so it’s probably to be assumed I’m part of the “functional strength” crowd. I admit, it is sometimes more impressive for me to see a 145lb guy benching 400 than a 250 benching 500.

However, i can’t just argue that the strength isn’t functional. You’re less likely to use certain lifts, like the bench press, but you still do, any time you push something away from your chest.

Today i was working for my mom (landlord), moving tens of packs of shingles(bout a 100lbs each), and i was thinking, if this isnt functional, what is? I deadlifted some, cleaned some, hell, there was a 4x3(rough estimate) table we couldn’t get onto the trailer without it being incredibly awkward, and i snatched it overhead, and stepped up. The table was around a hundred fifteen pounds. Maybe that’s light weight to you all, but i never could have done it without weight training.

In conclusion, nothing can truly be argued as not functional, there’s always some application in everyday life that can be made. If you want to, share some “functional experiences” that you have done with the benefit of weight training.[/quote]

You trained some.

You did some manual labour.

You’re stoked.

Build a bridge.

Get over it.

lol, my goal is to be very functional, I have the intention of using every muscle I train in the outside world whether its moving around very big furniture or w\e easily or winning many bets about how badly I can fuck you up :stuck_out_tongue:

greekdawg wrote:

Well we’ve all seen the 150lber lifting 100lb dumbells.

/sarcasm

greekdawg wrote:

Of course they are not on this site, silly, they are posing in the mirror at the squat rack with their medium under armour shirts. They are at GNC buying get huge powder.
They use the word like in every, like sentence.

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
Are you talking about a 250lb fatass or a built guy?

Unless he’s obese he’d be more impressive than the 145lb guy in both physique and strength.[/quote]

As solid 250 pound guy that can put up 500 is very impressive both in and out of the weight room.

EVERYONE GET DOWN…PUT YOUR HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM. I’M TAKING THIS THREAD OVER.

ok, now I’m not sure why the OP is pointing out that he can lift things in real life now that he’s been to the gym…but if we all stay calm, no one has to die, you can all go home to your families…you can all walk out of here alive and in one piece…just follow my lead.

So, guys, how has the weather been where you are? Here in New England we FINALLY hit 80 degrees yesterday! I think this is the latest that it’s ever hit 80 for the first time in my whole life!

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
So, guys, how has the weather been where you are? Here in New England we FINALLY hit 80 degrees yesterday! I think this is the latest that it’s ever hit 80 for the first time in my whole life!
[/quote]

I’m having to cycle to work and back in the rain lately so no good here.

Box squats help me poop.

I love how weak little guys try to rationalize being weak and little. My function is to move as much weight as possible, and I do it pretty well if I may say so myself. I’m too functional for you, I’m too functional for your party, I’m too functional for this shirt, so functional it hurts.