New SUVs?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:
Whatever you do, get a real truck. None of that feminine crossover shit.

Also, the VW tourag is a beast offroad. [/quote]

I had a pickup before when I did work that required it, and even though I did love it, a 7 foot bed is a lot of wasted space for me now. Literally, I won’t do shit besides drag it around.

And I don’t fucking miss everyone calling me every time they move, either. [/quote]

Doesnt have to be a pickup truck, “truck” is more a definition of the frame and drivetrain.

If you did get a pickup, get a quad cab with the short bed.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:
Whatever you do, get a real truck. None of that feminine crossover shit.

Also, the VW tourag is a beast offroad. [/quote]

I had a pickup before when I did work that required it, and even though I did love it, a 7 foot bed is a lot of wasted space for me now. Literally, I won’t do shit besides drag it around.

And I don’t fucking miss everyone calling me every time they move, either. [/quote]

Doesnt have to be a pickup truck, “truck” is more a definition of the frame and drivetrain.

If you did get a pickup, get a quad cab with the short bed. [/quote]

Words of wisdom my friend.

I loved that pickup but damn…

And I agree with you. That’s what I’m shooting for. A lot of the American SUVs like the GMCs and all are too car-ish for me.

I’ll probably get flamed for this but I am a big fan of my Ridgeline.

Stay away from Escalades, just about every person I know who owns one has told me that they leak oil with less than 10k miles on them.

[quote]BeefEater wrote:
I’ll probably get flamed for this but I am a big fan of my Ridgeline.[/quote]

Those are not horrible, but isnt the bed really small? Like not very practical?

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

Those are not horrible, but isnt the bed really small? Like not very practical? [/quote]

My buddy fits his sportbike in the back of his. I think it’s actually bigger than it looks.

james

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

Those are not horrible, but isnt the bed really small? Like not very practical? [/quote]

The bed is 5x5 and I haven’t had a problem using it for anything so far. The trunk in it is what surprised me the most, it’s huge. I have hauled large pieces of lumber which just requires the use of tie downs which can be tedious but the extra cab space makes up for it in spades.

4runners are glorious and generally super reliable

[quote]superjuho wrote:
What’s wrong with VW? Or foreign cars?
I get supporting American industry and I think it’s fine. And I believe American cars are cheaper to buy new in U.S.? But German and Japanese cars have superior built quality and reliability.
[/quote]

That’s pretty much it - I support America where I can, but there’s two things (pocketknives and cars) that if it’s not made in America, I really have a hard time buying/using it. Don’t ask me why.

That’s not to say there’s not foreign made cars that are high-quality, or that I wouldn’t buy any; if you offered me a Land Rover/Porsche/Maserati etc I would quite obviously take it. It’s just kind of a thing that I prefer.

Hence why I am looking at Jeeps. I am also considering the Cherokee - anyone have experience with it?[/quote]

The new model Grand Cherokees are fucking sweet. It is the only Jeep I’d look at and has great bang for the buck. Make sure if you get a used one that its the current model, I think '11 was the first year they made them. The Overland Summit trim level is loaded to the gills, but a bit out of your budget if you buy new.

My buddy’s fiance has a new Cherokee and the rear brake caliper bolts broke on her. The truck wasn’t used for anything crazy at all. I like the trucks but would be really cautious based on my experience.

james

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

The bed is 5x5 and I haven’t had a problem using it for anything so far. The trunk in it is what surprised me the most, it’s huge. I have hauled large pieces of lumber which just requires the use of tie downs which can be tedious but the extra cab space makes up for it in spades.[/quote]

I wondered about that trunk, isn’t it where the spare is? What happens if you have a full bed and get a flat?

Agreed they are larger than they look, along the same lines as the avalanche. I have a couple of friends that have avalanche and they absolutely love them. My one friend says he can lock up his kayak inside it by opening the pass through.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

The bed is 5x5 and I haven’t had a problem using it for anything so far. The trunk in it is what surprised me the most, it’s huge. I have hauled large pieces of lumber which just requires the use of tie downs which can be tedious but the extra cab space makes up for it in spades.[/quote]

I wondered about that trunk, isn’t it where the spare is? What happens if you have a full bed and get a flat?

Agreed they are larger than they look, along the same lines as the avalanche. I have a couple of friends that have avalanche and they absolutely love them. My one friend says he can lock up his kayak inside it by opening the pass through.[/quote]

The trunk is where the spare is so if you have a full bed then you would have to remove enough stuff to get access to the trunk. I considered this when purchasing the Ridgeline and ultimately I came to the conclusion that the chances of both happening are unlikely and that it’s not as if getting a flat is very convenient to begin with. If you were hauling something like dirt or mulch then it would be a rather big problem.

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

Agreed they are larger than they look, along the same lines as the avalanche. I have a couple of friends that have avalanche and they absolutely love them. My one friend says he can lock up his kayak inside it by opening the pass through.[/quote]

The trunk is where the spare is so if you have a full bed then you would have to remove enough stuff to get access to the trunk. I considered this when purchasing the Ridgeline and ultimately I came to the conclusion that the chances of both happening are unlikely and that it’s not as if getting a flat is very convenient to begin with. If you were hauling something like dirt or mulch then it would be a rather big problem.[/quote]

As luck would have it that would be my most likely time to get a flat. And I haul a fair amount of mulch, dirt etc…

Not many SUVs could withstand this…

I won’t tell you what to buy as I haven’t followed the US car market lately, but I will tell you where.

Reedman’s, Langhorne, Pa

I went there with the blue book memorised. the sticker price was lower…

It is like Ikea with cars

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:

[quote]superjuho wrote:
But German and Japanese cars have superior built quality and reliability.

[/quote]

I am not sure that is true any longer. Maybe for the Japanese, but German cars are pretty scarce on this list.

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dependability.htm?study=909201235&catStudy=909201236[/quote]

I was going to take issue with that also but I don’t know enough about cars, to be honest. I like American cars. They’ve treated me well.[/quote]

I’m a little surprised by this actually, but live and learn, you know. Now that I think of it, I don’t even have a source for the “not reliable” part. What about the built quality? Is there ill-fitting bodywork or rattling, cheap-feeling plastics? This is what they always say in Top Gear UK…
Also the horse carriage suspension from the medieval times that they use is not good for turning, but I guess it has it’s uses when carrying bigger loads, and an SUV is not meant to go fast around corners anyway.

There’s not too many American made cars brought to Europe I believe. For a few years the order in the biggest reliability tests conducted by the Germans has been Hyundai, most of the Japanese cars, most German cars and the French.

I will add that if your only obstacle is snow, you would do fine with a 4-wheel drive estate. You could get better mpg and in many cases bigger boot than in an SUV.

You seemed to be set on a Jeep? I say go for it. You’re the one driving it daily.

[quote]superjuho wrote:

[quote]superjuho wrote:

[/quote]

I am not sure that is true any longer. Maybe for the Japanese, but German cars are pretty scarce on this list.

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dependability.htm?study=909201235&catStudy=909201236[/quote]

I was going to take issue with that also but I don’t know enough about cars, to be honest. I like American cars. They’ve treated me well.[/quote]

I’m a little surprised by this actually, but live and learn, you know. Now that I think of it, I don’t even have a source for the “not reliable” part. What about the built quality? Is there ill-fitting bodywork or rattling, cheap-feeling plastics? This is what they always say in Top Gear UK…
Also the horse carriage suspension from the medieval times that they use is not good for turning, but I guess it has it’s uses when carrying bigger loads, and an SUV is not meant to go fast around corners anyway.

There’s not too many American made cars brought to Europe I believe. For a few years the order in the biggest reliability tests conducted by the Germans has been Hyundai, most of the Japanese cars, most German cars and the French.

I will add that if your only obstacle is snow, you would do fine with a 4-wheel drive estate. You could get better mpg and in many cases bigger boot than in an SUV.

You seemed to be set on a Jeep? I say go for it. You’re the one driving it daily.

[/quote]

Interesting post.

But yea I’m not really “set” per se… more like I like the way they look and they have the qualities I’m looking for. I like the Toyota 4Runner but it may be just out of my price range. Although as I said, I don’t particularly like Japanese cars, the opinions expressed on this thread about that particular make are enough to make me reconsider.

Like I said, I still have to test drive them, and really until that happens all I have are preconceived notions haha.

[quote]superjuho wrote:

[quote]superjuho wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Interesting post.

But yea I’m not really “set” per se… more like I like the way they look and they have the qualities I’m looking for. I like the Toyota 4Runner but it may be just out of my price range. Although as I said, I don’t particularly like Japanese cars, the opinions expressed on this thread about that particular make are enough to make me reconsider.

Like I said, I still have to test drive them, and really until that happens all I have are preconceived notions haha.[/quote]

I believe they have more power now but the 4Runner I drove in the late 90’s couldn’t get out of it’s own way on the highway. Vastly underpowered.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
I believe they have more power now but the 4Runner I drove in the late 90’s couldn’t get out of it’s own way on the highway. Vastly underpowered.[/quote]

My truck definitely isn’t a powerhouse but the new ones are much better. Part of it is that it’s not a sports car and it’s geared like a truck. I’ve gotten a ticket for 80 while towing my motorcycle to the track so it will move.

If the new 4Runners are out of your price range then I not hesitate to look at used ones. The FJ and Xterra are also solid choices.

But if you love the Wrangler then get the Wrangler. Nobody wants to drive something they don’t like. Just consider that you won’t keep it as long and you’ll have more problems than if you bought another choice. But that might not matter to you now.

james

I do not know if you plan on leaving anything of value in the wrangler but they get broken into often. They are fun to drive but not very stable or secure. Up here we have seen incidents with the half doors being stolen. if you are in a safe area and do not store stuff in it you could have a lot of fun. I prefer the quad cab short bed truck. I have had a mid size and full size and both served me well and both were American brands. I do not do any heavy duty off road stuff.

As was already mentioned get something you enjoy to drive. They are expensive and most of us hold on to our vehicles for long time.
Good luck