New SUVs?

Alright, after years of having my beloved Mustang, I think the winters and the crazy-ass weather events like Sandy are finally getting the best of me, so I’m looking into getting something new that’s got four-wheel or all-wheel drive and a little more ground clearance (I do a lot of hiking and backpacking and going back and forth to the gym, etc. so that’s what it would be used for besides my daily commute and the associated bullshit.)

I am partial to the Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited, but I know nothing about them. Was curious of people’s opinions on them as far as positives, negatives, etc.

I’ve been in them and never hated the ride (my first car was a pickup anyway), but how is the handling? Does the hard top reduce the wind noise that I despise? Are these cars worth it?

I am also partial to the way the Toyota FJ Cruiser looks, but besides knowing NOTHING about them, it would also kill me to buy a Japanese car. But I’m still intrigued.

Any advice, opinions, etc. are appreciated.

any range rover model from the last 10 years is great

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Alright, after years of having my beloved Mustang, I think the winters and the crazy-ass weather events like Sandy are finally getting the best of me, so I’m looking into getting something new that’s got four-wheel or all-wheel drive and a little more ground clearance (I do a lot of hiking and backpacking and going back and forth to the gym, etc. so that’s what it would be used for besides my daily commute and the associated bullshit.)

I am partial to the Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited, but I know nothing about them. Was curious of people’s opinions on them as far as positives, negatives, etc.

I’ve been in them and never hated the ride (my first car was a pickup anyway), but how is the handling? Does the hard top reduce the wind noise that I despise? Are these cars worth it?

I am also partial to the way the Toyota FJ Cruiser looks, but besides knowing NOTHING about them, it would also kill me to buy a Japanese car. But I’m still intrigued.

[/quote]

Wranglers are for cheerleaders who go to the beach. If you must have a Wrangler, buy an old one and modify it so it’s a decent trail rig. Brand new, these things are a complete rip off. They’re noisy inside, handle like a cardboard box, and aren’t practical at all. I can’t think of one thing this vehicle does well. Most people I know who bought one loved it at first but then realized what a pain in the ass this vehicle is.

If you don’t have more than 4 people to move around and are looking for something with 4x4, buy a truck. They are within the same price range as the Wrangler, capable enough to go off the road, and you have all that bed space for loading shit into on the weekends.

They work for Top Gear in most, if not all terrains, I am pretty sure they’ll work for you.

Plus they are better looking than the US off-roaders.

[quote]harrypotter wrote:
They work for Top Gear in most, if not all terrains, I am pretty sure they’ll work for you.

Plus they are better looking than the US off-roaders.[/quote]

And at least double the price for a BASE model.

[quote]WN76 wrote:

[quote]harrypotter wrote:

Plus they are better looking than the US off-roaders.[/quote]

And at least double the price for a BASE model.

[/quote]

pay to play.

If i was looking for a new 4x4, i’d look into a ford with the ecoBoost. Turbo 6 cylinder motors are BOSS

OK Range Rover guys, let me rephrase - I haven’t, you know, won the fuckin lottery or anything in the last five years either.

Looking for about 30k or under.

[quote]WN76 wrote:

[/quote]

Wranglers are for cheerleaders who go to the beach. If you must have a Wrangler, buy an old one and modify it so it’s a decent trail rig. Brand new, these things are a complete rip off. They’re noisy inside, handle like a cardboard box, and aren’t practical at all. I can’t think of one thing this vehicle does well. Most people I know who bought one loved it at first but then realized what a pain in the ass this vehicle is.

If you don’t have more than 4 people to move around and are looking for something with 4x4, buy a truck. They are within the same price range as the Wrangler, capable enough to go off the road, and you have all that bed space for loading shit into on the weekends.

[/quote]

Interesting.

Like a pickup you mean? I used to have a Dakota but those don’t come stock with 4x4, and that tends to shoot the price REALLY high. Or at least it used to.

What kind are you thinking?

Get a Defender 90

Or a G Wagon

How about one of these? lol

OK Range Rover guys, let me rephrase - I haven’t, you know, won the fuckin lottery or anything in the last five years either.

Looking for about 30k or under.[/quote]

What I should have said is that you can get pretty good 2nd hand deals and still get pretty much the current model

http://autos.nj.com/used_cars/style/all/land-rover

[quote]gregron wrote:
Get a Defender 90[/quote]

smartass

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

Looking for about 30k or under.[/quote]

What I should have said is that you can get pretty good 2nd hand deals and still get pretty much the current model

http://autos.nj.com/used_cars/style/all/land-rover[/quote]

haha I got you. Makes much more sense.

30k dollars?

Just swipe one from one of the ghetto rats in another state.

pay the guy 10k just so he isn’t gonna fuck it up completely.

FWIW, I’ve been driving my dad’s tahoe from 2002 with 200,000 miles on it and it’s still running good. Never had any major problems with the engine and still runs great. It looks great too, people comment on it saying it looks like I got a new paint job sometimes. My dad is now driving the Suburban from 09 i believe, and almost has 100,000 miles on it and it’s also running great too and never had any problems. The V8 engine’s a bitch on gas though.

My uncle had a jeep cherokee (way over priced) and it’s given him a bunch of problems. A/C would stop working. The battery on it died probably three times. A lot of little things would go bad on it, even thought there weren’t a lot of miles on it.

hope it helps.

[quote]WN76 wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Interesting.

Like a pickup you mean? I used to have a Dakota but those don’t come stock with 4x4, and that tends to shoot the price REALLY high. Or at least it used to.

What kind are you thinking?
[/quote]

I would recommend a fullsize. I’m partial to the F-150, but Chevy makes a nice truck, too. Like others have mentioned, look at buying a used vehicle.

love my 4runner. in my opinion toyota’s are one of the best. if you’re looking for a p/u here are some fans that testify to their toughness

Jeeps have a nice romantic image of driving around with the wind in your hair but as a daily commuter they suck.

I paid 26K for my 2012 Chevy silverado extended cab 4x4 and am very happy with it. Very comfortable with plenty of interior space. My previous vehicle was a 2002 GMC with 190K on it, that I only traded in because I had hit too many deer.

[quote]gregron wrote:
Get a Defender 90[/quote]

smartass[/quote]

I have a Defender 90. It’s pretty badass. No A/C, though. (Don’t need it where I live.)

I had the 300tdi engine swapped and put into it from the 2.5 n/a diesel.

I’ve been running studded tires in the snow/ice here and have had zero problems.