New SUVs?

I really liked my Ford Explorer when I had one. I also drive Expeditions at work regularly. I recommend either.

[quote]silverblood wrote:
love my 4runner. in my opinion toyota’s are one of the best. if you’re looking for a p/u here are some fans that testify to their toughness[/quote]

+1 bazillion.

I’ve got 190k on mine and it runs like a top. It’s been a lot of places and has never once let me down. It mostly carries my son and dog around but I also do some back country exploring.

For $30k you can get a nice example of one. My buddy has a FJ and also loves it. The cargo capacity of the FJ is less than my 4Runner though if that means anything to you.

I’m going to have to replace the truck at some point and I’m either going to get a Land Cruiser or another 4Runner. Seriously, I wouldn’t consider any other vehicle out there for an SUV. There’s none that are built as tough and these are still old school body on frame designs instead of the car based that everyone has gone to.

james

Toyota 4-runner, Sequoia, Land Cruiser, all solid bets for reliability and performance. That said, my next SUV is likely going to be a Diesel VW Touareg. I really like the styling, milage, tow capacity, fit-and-finish and sophisticated all-wheel drive system.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
Toyota 4-runner, Sequoia, Land Cruiser, all solid bets for reliability and performance. That said, my next SUV is likely going to be a Diesel VW Touareg. I really like the styling, milage, tow capacity, fit-and-finish and sophisticated all-wheel drive system. [/quote]

I wish that Toyota would go ahead and bring it’s diesel suv’s and trucks over here. I’d like to try the V8 twin-turbo diesel Land Cruiser. gotta be a beast.

GMC Terrain:

20+ City, 30+ Highway

Over 300 ponies rolling out of a 3.6L V6. Plenty peppy. My brother (who works in the auto industry and REQUIRES a vehicle that goes fast) just bought one. Plenty of space, modular seating, and the all wheel drive will run you anywhere from 26-28k ~ish.

The trouble with crossovers like the Tourag and Terrain is that they aren’t 4 wheel drives in the “off the beaten path” variety. But they will do superbly in snow and offer a much more comfortable ride.

james

[quote]atypical1 wrote:
The trouble with crossovers like the Tourag and Terrain is that they aren’t 4 wheel drives in the “off the beaten path” variety. But they will do superbly in snow and offer a much more comfortable ride.

james[/quote]

He’s in Joisy not sure serious offroading is a concern.

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:
Get a Defender 90[/quote]

smartass[/quote]

I have a Defender 90. It’s pretty badass. No A/C, though. (Don’t need it where I live.)

I had the 300tdi engine swapped and put into it from the 2.5 n/a diesel.

I’ve been running studded tires in the snow/ice here and have had zero problems.[/quote]

I’ve had two Landrover Defenders and while I think that no unmodified 4x4 will get you further off road, I just got fed up of all of it’s faults.

Don’t get me wrong, it was pretty reliable mechanically, but the build quality is appalling. I just don’t understand why in this day and age Landrover still can’t make a door that fucking fits or shuts without having to slam it and why they can’t make a functional heater that will clear your windscreen on a cold day or why they fit tiny windscreen wipers that look like they’ve come off of Barbie’s Power Wheels or something.

AND a seat that you could move forward and back so that you can adjust your distance from the pedals would be nice so that you don’t get lactic acid build up in your tibialis anterior and feel like you’ve got shin splints after a long journey.

AND it has the stopping distance of a cruise liner and costs way more than it’s competitors.

I just couldn’t recommend one as an every day car it’s far too uncomfortable. I still wouldn’t mind one as a toy though.

I now have a Mitsubishi L200 which drives like a car, but still has more than enough off road capability (low ratio box and diff lock etc).

I used to have a Nissan Pathfinder, it was sweet, put 240k miles on it until my brother destroyed it.

I think anything made by Toyota, Nissan, or Honda is a good buy.

If anyone owns (or has owned) a Range Rover, please share your experiences, I have heard both good and bad about them.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
If anyone owns (or has owned) a Range Rover, please share your experiences, I have heard both good and bad about them. [/quote]

I have a supercharged Range Rover and Mrs. Jewbacca has a supercharged Range Rover Sport.

I’ve had zero problems with either, except that the stupid key fob will not work if you put it in your pocket with your iPhone.

Very, very, fast for SUVs. Able enough to get me to the top of a ski mountain; not like I off road.

Very quiet. Very well built. Pretty much every luxury item that exists, except the back tailgate does not lower automatically, which angers my wife. (Big deal to a woman holding a baby.)

The comments regarding the LR Defenders are probably true, but that’s a military vehicle that is barely legal on the streets. Not sure what people except. My experience with them involved driving around Gaza. I liked the .50 cal plating, personally.

[quote]atypical1 wrote:

james[/quote]

That’s the thing. I like the way they look (even though I’m very wary of foreign cars and wouldn’t buy a VW), but I do like that “off the beaten path” look/feel to them.

As one might have guessed, I am not the “luxury” type.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]atypical1 wrote:

james[/quote]

[/quote]

1. Nobody in New Jersey ever calls it “Joisey,” or even “Jersey.” Only jerkoffs from NY do.

2. Offroading is popular here even though it wouldn’t be what I did. Most of the state is pretty damn empty. Mine is more for, like I said, being good in the snow, being able to drive it anywhere (in fields for parking, etc. where I’ve had MAJOR issues with my low-riding car), and at trailheads for backpacking.

Snowstorms/nor’easters/hurricanes and the downed limbs/snow/ice/flooding that they are bringing are a huge concern for me.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]atypical1 wrote:

james[/quote]

[/quote]

1. Nobody in New Jersey ever calls it “Joisey,” or even “Jersey.” Only jerkoffs from NY do.

2. Offroading is popular here even though it wouldn’t be what I did. Most of the state is pretty damn empty. Mine is more for, like I said, being good in the snow, being able to drive it anywhere (in fields for parking, etc. where I’ve had MAJOR issues with my low-riding car), and at trailheads for backpacking.

Snowstorms/nor’easters/hurricanes and the downed limbs/snow/ice/flooding that they are bringing are a huge concern for me.[/quote]

1. What do jerkoffs from New Jersey call it?

2. You will do fine with the crossovers although I personally prefer a truck.

[quote]atypical1 wrote:

james[/quote]

That’s the thing. I like the way they look (even though I’m very wary of foreign cars and wouldn’t buy a VW), but I do like that “off the beaten path” look/feel to them.

As one might have guessed, I am not the “luxury” type. [/quote]

What’s wrong with VW? Or foreign cars?
I get supporting American industry and I think it’s fine. And I believe American cars are cheaper to buy new in U.S.? But German and Japanese cars have superior built quality and reliability.

For what it’s worth, my parents have had a Skoda (essentially a VW with different badges) with 4-wheel drive for 5 years and it has not failed them in the Finnish winter. No off-roading but definitely difficult roads.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
If anyone owns (or has owned) a Range Rover, please share your experiences, I have heard both good and bad about them. [/quote]

I have a supercharged Range Rover and Mrs. Jewbacca has a supercharged Range Rover Sport.

I’ve had zero problems with either, except that the stupid key fob will not work if you put it in your pocket with your iPhone.

Very, very, fast for SUVs. Able enough to get me to the top of a ski mountain; not like I off road.

Very quiet. Very well built. Pretty much every luxury item that exists, except the back tailgate does not lower automatically, which angers my wife. (Big deal to a woman holding a baby.)

The comments regarding the LR Defenders are probably true, but that’s a military vehicle that is barely legal on the streets. Not sure what people except. My experience with them involved driving around Gaza. I liked the .50 cal plating, personally.[/quote]

Thanx I appreciate it.

I have heard mixed experiences where some people say they are one of the most well built vehicles they have owned, to that they always break down, and that you will have the best looking car at the mechanic.

[quote]superjuho wrote:
But German and Japanese cars have superior built quality and reliability.

[/quote]

I am not sure that is true any longer. Maybe for the Japanese, but German cars are pretty scarce on this list.

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dependability.htm?study=909201235&catStudy=909201236

[quote]superjuho wrote:
What’s wrong with VW? Or foreign cars?
I get supporting American industry and I think it’s fine. And I believe American cars are cheaper to buy new in U.S.? But German and Japanese cars have superior built quality and reliability.
[/quote]

That’s pretty much it - I support America where I can, but there’s two things (pocketknives and cars) that if it’s not made in America, I really have a hard time buying/using it. Don’t ask me why.

That’s not to say there’s not foreign made cars that are high-quality, or that I wouldn’t buy any; if you offered me a Land Rover/Porsche/Maserati etc I would quite obviously take it. It’s just kind of a thing that I prefer.

Hence why I am looking at Jeeps. I am also considering the Cherokee - anyone have experience with it?

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:

[quote]superjuho wrote:
But German and Japanese cars have superior built quality and reliability.

[/quote]

I am not sure that is true any longer. Maybe for the Japanese, but German cars are pretty scarce on this list.

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dependability.htm?study=909201235&catStudy=909201236[/quote]

I was going to take issue with that also but I don’t know enough about cars, to be honest. I like American cars. They’ve treated me well.

Whatever you do, get a real truck. None of that feminine crossover shit.

Also, the VW tourag is a beast offroad.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
Whatever you do, get a real truck. None of that feminine crossover shit.

Also, the VW tourag is a beast offroad. [/quote]

I had a pickup before when I did work that required it, and even though I did love it, a 7 foot bed is a lot of wasted space for me now. Literally, I won’t do shit besides drag it around.

And I don’t fucking miss everyone calling me every time they move, either.