'New Book'

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
Any thoughts on improving this sentence:

“Shitting on free writing advice from Varq due to pride was a really poor decision.”

I’m trying to convey the idea that shitting on free writing advice from Varq due to pride was a really poor decision, but I feel like I need to make this sentence easier on the reader. Maybe I could shift it from passive to active voice? Any thoughts? [/quote]

Or what about a simile?

“Shitting on writing advice from Varq due to pride is like shitting on contest prep advice from Mighty Stu.”

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
I like it. How about making that change and making the sentence more active:

“Mrclean85 made an asinine decision to shit on Varq’s writing advice due to pride.”

I feel like we are getting warmer. Maybe still too many words. [/quote]

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

“Mrclean85 made an asinine decision to shit on Varq’s writing advice due to pride.”

Is “Mrclean85 is being asinine” more of what you are looking for?

Hmm. A simile. That might work.

I think I need to step away from the project and let my subconscious mind work on it for a while ti stay fresh. In the morning, I’ll re-read what we worked on and continue editing.

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

Is “Mrclean85 is asinine” more of what you are looking for?[/quote]

Goddamnit. We are getting close.

Or how about a rhyming couplet?

An amateur’s pride extends to infinity,
Advice is lost down a hole of asininity.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

Advice is lost down a hole of asininity. [/quote]

W.S. Gilbert would approve.

How very immature you both are. I could certainly be entertained for hours with this petty nonsense however I choose not to stoop below my level.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

Now here is an example of words doing extra work.

[quote]mrclean85 wrote:
How very immature you both are. I could certainly be entertained for hours with this petty nonsense however I choose not to stoop below my level.[/quote]

You were given professional advice for free and basically told him to go fly a kite.

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

Now here is an example of words doing extra work.[/quote]

I think in another life Varq lived near the Savoy.

We are all entitled to our own opinions.

[quote]mrclean85 wrote:
We are all entitled to our own opinions.[/quote]

About what? Whether or not Varq is a professional? I can’t comment on the content of the whole book, but what each person does see is the preview of your book and it’s not pretty. All anyone is saying is what is out there now was obviously not proofread at the most basic level and needs some very careful revision and editing. No one is saying you can’t do it, but rather that it needs to be done.

[quote]BeefEater wrote:
No one is saying you can’t do it, but rather that it needs to be done.[/quote]

This was probably true earlier, but I’m revising the opinion I’m entitled to. Won’t means can’t.

How can one write objectively about denial if one is in it?

[quote]mrclean85 wrote:

Try not to take it too harshly man. I’ve been screamed at, motherfucked right to my face and had long hours of work literally smashed to pieces before my very eyes because my supervisor wanted me to iron out a couple of flaws.

Hang in there. Hammer out some of those flaws. You never know, you might create something amazing.

This is more of a pamphlet than a book.

[quote]mrclean85 wrote:
Not when it comes to grammar. And I disagree with the advice that you need a better editor; you need to improve your English. This is not an opinion but a fact.

If one were of a conspiratorial bent, one might say that the failure of the public schools is a deliberate stratagem on the part of the federal government to keep young people who want to criticize authority from being able to do it effectively in writing.

Imagine if Jefferson had been as nimble with the English language as this author:

“Have you ever just sat around and pondered some truths which is evident all by themselves and the first and in my opinion most pressing of the truths which I am going to shed some light on is that every single one of us (simple and hardworking Americans) are created equally and their endowed by there creator with inalienable rights like life and freedom and being able to go after things that make you happy and I have come to the realization that I can no longer sit idly by while are rights are lead to the slaughter by its Government…”

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
If one were of a conspiratorial bent, one might say that the failure of the public schools is a deliberate stratagem on the part of the federal government to keep young people who want to criticize authority from being able to do it effectively in writing.

Imagine if Jefferson had been as nimble with the English language as this author:

“Have you ever just sat around and pondered some truths which is evident all by themselves and the first and in my opinion most pressing of the truths which I am going to shed some light on is that every single one of us (simple and hardworking Americans) are created equally and their endowed by there creator with inalienable rights like life and freedom and being able to go after things that make you happy and I have come to the realization that I can no longer sit idly by while are rights are lead to the slaughter by its Government…”[/quote]

I know that was hard for you. Take a seat champ.