Low Back Pain While Running & Squats

I have this killer lower back pain when I go running or I do squats. I think it’s because I have some sort of hip tilt and excessive lordosis, but my parents (I’m only a teenager), don’t think I should go to the doctor, because they say that my spine is the way it is, and it’s purely genetics. Is there anything I can do to fix it? I looked all over, but I can’t find anything.

Well, back pain is not genetics. You should see a doctor if you can.

Outside of that, how’s your hamstring flexibility? Tight hamstrings can cause low back pain.

Also, have someone evaluate your form when squatting. If your form is good, then you shouldn’t be having any back pain when squatting. Not at your age anyway.

agreed.

on squats my back only “hurts” (just feels tight really) when my back isnt as straight as it should be

Today’s article goes into this a lot. It’s not the tight hamstrings causing the back pain - it’s the other way around.

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/performance_training/the_proactive_patient&cr=

Cressey’s new book Maximum Muscle ($18 at major bookstores) has a great stretching/activation/strengthening program. You can piece all of that info together from the articles he and Robertson have written over the years here, but the book is worth your time. It’ll get all of your muscles around your hip and back working correctly.

The genetics thing is just silly. Our genetics have not adapted to sitting in school for 8 hours a day for 15 years and then sitting on a office chair/couch for the rest of your life. We are designed to live like hunter/gatherers. So - see a doc if you have good insurance or can’t move.

I’m the same way. Whenever I attempt to go for a jog, the limiting factor is always this searing lower back pain. I do tend to get it as well when I squat.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it had to do with some anterior pelvic tilt as my abs and hamstrings are pretty darn weak.

I think fixing the tilt should definitely be higher on my to-do list.

I used to get searing low back pain from squats, and running would cause it to flare up again.

I was recommended to get Cressey’s Magnificent Mobility DVD. I got it, and it solved my problem. Turns out it was hip-mobility.

Cressey’s DVD is expensive. Try the book. Or if you’re strapped for cash, read through Cressey’s articles in the Author section.

Good luck.

Thanks guys for the help. I will try to get that DVD. =)

[quote]MrChief wrote:
Thanks guys for the help. I will try to get that DVD. =)[/quote]

I think the book would be far better for you. You probably need to work more on strength more than mobility as opposed to us old-timers. I bet if you start lifting the right way you’ll be 100% in a very short while.