Life After One Lift a Day?

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
the last thing i’m gonna get into is an online pissing contest with you people. but yes, i’ve been training for quite awhile and i consider myself between intermediate and advanced level.

and my conditioning as far as volume tolerance is very high. i can maintain great performance over extended volume and frequency. OLAD program is far from a great program. it is a noob program.[/quote]

You started this pissing contest, so don’t go saying you didn’t want it. As for your own ability assessment, you are nowhere near the authority as Dan John. My volume tolerance is quite high too, but that doesn’t mean anything in terms of increasing the amount of weight I can put over my head. It just means that I can do a lot of reps at submaximal weights with little rest between sets.

Stfu and go back to your M&F workout to “maximize your pump.” Come back when you’re ready to improve your performance.

DB

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
let me give you a sample front squat session. currently my maximum front squat is 335. so, on a day where i’m training about 90% of that, i’ll do something like 10 sets of 1 rep with around 295. my rest period for this type of load is probably 2 minutes. maximum 3 minutes, but generally under two minutes. i watch the clock in between my between my sets.

and that’s just front squats. then it’s time for 2 or 3 other compound movements. so typically then it’s time for a military press battle, then a wide grip overhand chin battle, etc.

the OLAD program is about 25% of my current workout, probably even less.
[/quote]

Not to be pendantic, but math isn’t your strong suit, is it? Let’s say that you do 4 movements 3 times a week (at the high end of your scale) and you did 10 sets of 1 rep each time. Well, that would mean that you would do 40 total reps 3 times a week for a grand total of 120 reps a week. Well, the first week of OLAD is 7 sets of 5 (35 total reps) 4 days a week for a grand total of 140 reps in the week. That’s nearly 17% more volume than you would do.

The next week of OLAD consists of 6 sets of 3 (18 total reps) for 4 days for a grand total of 72 reps or about 40% less volume than you do. The third week you do a set of 5 a set of 3 and a set of 2 for times a week for a grand total of 40 reps. That’s pretty low, granted, but it is still higher than 25% of your 120 reps and you go for a max double in each of the four different lifts that you are cycling.

That’s a big deal in my book. The fourth week you take off. Assuming you never take time off on your program then during this week you would do infinitely more volume than someone on OLAD.

For the four week period the OLADer would have 252 reps to your 480 reps or about 53% of the total volume. That’s roughly twice your estimate. What’s more the OLAD lifter would probably have measurable increases in the max double for each of the four lifts. These numbers also assume that when you say 2-3 times a week you really mean 3 times a week and when you say 2-3 other movements you really mean 3 movements every time. At the low end of your scale (2 times a week times 3 excercises) you actually end up doing less reps than the OLADer (240 as opposed to 252) and you wouldn’t have any lift that is close to the intensity of a max double. The OLADer would also spend far less time doing his reps, and if you happen to believe Charles Staley that’s a bonus as well. At the very least it means that the OLADer has more time to play with his kids :).

Just food for thought.

Personally, I’ve done programs where I simply came in and tried to do more each week, and they didn’t work well for me. OLADs built in rest week and tapering of volume towards a max double, on the other hand, has worked well for me. I don’t do it all year, but I definitely mix in a cycle or two every year. If that makes me a noob, then I hope I stay a noob forever.

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
TDog305 wrote:
hueyOT wrote:
i currently do about 20-30-ish minutes of squatting with short rest intervals 2-3 times per week. i do mad volume and don’t need to step backwards into a noobie problem.

i can make a walking workout hard too, go walk for 5 hours a day. just because you can do one exercise to exhaustion or do enough sets and reps to be ‘hard’ doesn’t make it a good program for someone who already has a solid foundation.

Just out of curiousity. Squatting 2-3 times a week for 20-30min with short rest intervals doesn’t lead to exhaustion?

So just to play devil’s advocate - if your rest intervals are 60secs, you are doing 10-15 working sets. If I squatted 60% of my 1RM for 10-15 sets with short rest intervals, I would be friggin’ exhausted. And then you do a whole workout on top of that too? multiple times a week? You must recover quicker than Superman, I must say, I am thoroughly impressed

let me give you a sample front squat session. currently my maximum front squat is 335. so, on a day where i’m training about 90% of that, i’ll do something like 10 sets of 1 rep with around 295. my rest period for this type of load is probably 2 minutes. maximum 3 minutes, but generally under two minutes. i watch the clock in between my between my sets.

and i never train 'til failure. and i’ll do this 2-3 times per week, often changing the percentages, total volume, and number of sets. rest times also change depending on the load.

and that’s just front squats. then it’s time for 2 or 3 other compound movements. so typically then it’s time for a military press battle, then a wide grip overhand chin battle, etc.

you get the idea.

and if you’re doing your true 1RM, you don’t do 10 sets. you can train close to it, but not TOO close. i hope you know this.
[/quote]

Now see, I don’t consider 2-3 minute rest intervals to be very taxing or indicative of a high work capacity. On the contrary, my current workout includes about 30 sec rest intervals. On EDT, they ranged from 10 secs to 45 secs (at the end of the pr period). When I did OLAD, I went with 1-2 minute rest intervals.

The reasoning behind keeping rest intervals short is well-documented elsewhere on this site so I won’t get into it other than to say that rest intervals < 1 min increase testosterone production. But then, you must have known that with your wealth of experience.

DB

huey,

If you don’t like OLAD, it’s cool. It’s not for everyone. I think you offended a lot of people when you said the program was dumb.

I understand what you are saying about more volume for advanced lifters and I agree, but I think variety in one’s approach is also important for gains.

So if you have been doing a lot of volume for awhile, switching to lower volume might create enough variety to spark some gains. Also the extra rest from less work could be beneficial as well.

How the OLAD is performed is also important. A newbie is not going to do 6 sets of 3 as intensely as an advanced guy. So how one executes the workout is essential.

But the bottom line is results, OLAD seems to be working for lifters that are past the noob level. I don’t know about advanced lifters, but it does help lifters that are at the intermediate level.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
hueyOT wrote:
the last thing i’m gonna get into is an online pissing contest with you people. but yes, i’ve been training for quite awhile and i consider myself between intermediate and advanced level.

and my conditioning as far as volume tolerance is very high. i can maintain great performance over extended volume and frequency. OLAD program is far from a great program. it is a noob program.

You started this pissing contest, so don’t go saying you didn’t want it. As for your own ability assessment, you are nowhere near the authority as Dan John. My volume tolerance is quite high too, but that doesn’t mean anything in terms of increasing the amount of weight I can put over my head. It just means that I can do a lot of reps at submaximal weights with little rest between sets.

Stfu and go back to your M&F workout to “maximize your pump.” Come back when you’re ready to improve your performance.

DB[/quote]

when did i say anything about the pump? this board is full of little kid who like to be holier than thou when they can’t even bench double body weight.

please step off your elitist ‘go for the pump’ condescending comment, i am hardly one of those cheesy 150 pound kids doing cable curls 'til failure.

[quote]jdearl wrote:
hueyOT wrote:

Not to be pendantic, but math isn’t your strong suit, is it? Let’s say that you do 4 movements 3 times a week (at the high end of your scale) and you did 10 sets of 1 rep each time. Well, that would mean that you would do 40 total reps 3 times a week for a grand total of 120 reps a week. Well, the first week of OLAD is 7 sets of 5 (35 total reps) 4 days a week for a grand total of 140 reps in the week. That’s nearly 17% more volume than you would do.

The next week of OLAD consists of 6 sets of 3 (18 total reps) for 4 days for a grand total of 72 reps or about 40% less volume than you do. The third week you do a set of 5 a set of 3 and a set of 2 for times a week for a grand total of 40 reps. That’s pretty low, granted, but it is still higher than 25% of your 120 reps and you go for a max double in each of the four different lifts that you are cycling.

That’s a big deal in my book. The fourth week you take off. Assuming you never take time off on your program then during this week you would do infinitely more volume than someone on OLAD.

For the four week period the OLADer would have 252 reps to your 480 reps or about 53% of the total volume. That’s roughly twice your estimate. What’s more the OLAD lifter would probably have measurable increases in the max double for each of the four lifts. These numbers also assume that when you say 2-3 times a week you really mean 3 times a week and when you say 2-3 other movements you really mean 3 movements every time. At the low end of your scale (2 times a week times 3 excercises) you actually end up doing less reps than the OLADer (240 as opposed to 252) and you wouldn’t have any lift that is close to the intensity of a max double. The OLADer would also spend far less time doing his reps, and if you happen to believe Charles Staley that’s a bonus as well. At the very least it means that the OLADer has more time to play with his kids :).

Just food for thought.

Personally, I’ve done programs where I simply came in and tried to do more each week, and they didn’t work well for me. OLADs built in rest week and tapering of volume towards a max double, on the other hand, has worked well for me. I don’t do it all year, but I definitely mix in a cycle or two every year. If that makes me a noob, then I hope I stay a noob forever.[/quote]

I just gave you a sample of one particular day. i train about 6-7 days per week, and you have no idea what my total volume is, you’re only looking at one exercise. i might do 10 sets of 1 rep for front squats on monday, then 3 sets of 5 reps, 3 sets of 4 reps, and 3 sets of 3 reps for alternating barbell lunges the next day.

i might do a bench workout today, military and dops the next day, and incline the following day, you don’t know shit about my total volume, you’re making way too many assumptions.

at the end of the day OLAD is a noob program.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
hueyOT wrote:
TDog305 wrote:
hueyOT wrote:
i currently do about 20-30-ish minutes of squatting with short rest intervals 2-3 times per week. i do mad volume and don’t need to step backwards into a noobie problem.

i can make a walking workout hard too, go walk for 5 hours a day. just because you can do one exercise to exhaustion or do enough sets and reps to be ‘hard’ doesn’t make it a good program for someone who already has a solid foundation.

Just out of curiousity. Squatting 2-3 times a week for 20-30min with short rest intervals doesn’t lead to exhaustion?

So just to play devil’s advocate - if your rest intervals are 60secs, you are doing 10-15 working sets. If I squatted 60% of my 1RM for 10-15 sets with short rest intervals, I would be friggin’ exhausted. And then you do a whole workout on top of that too? multiple times a week? You must recover quicker than Superman, I must say, I am thoroughly impressed

and i never train 'til failure. and i’ll do this 2-3 times per week, often changing the percentages, total volume, and number of sets. rest times also change depending on the load.

you get the idea.

and if you’re doing your true 1RM, you don’t do 10 sets. you can train close to it, but not TOO close. i hope you know this.

Now see, I don’t consider 2-3 minute rest intervals to be very taxing or indicative of a high work capacity. On the contrary, my current workout includes about 30 sec rest intervals. On EDT, they ranged from 10 secs to 45 secs (at the end of the pr period). When I did OLAD, I went with 1-2 minute rest intervals.

The reasoning behind keeping rest intervals short is well-documented elsewhere on this site so I won’t get into it other than to say that rest intervals < 1 min increase testosterone production. But then, you must have known that with your wealth of experience.

DB[/quote]

if you rest 30 seconds between 70, 80, or 90 percent loads you’ll never get big or strong. 30 second rest for strength increases has gotta be the dumbest thing i’ve ever heard of.

the higher the load, the longer the rest time necessary to return to high performance. i’m the in the gym to get tired, i’m in the gym to get big and strong.

and that whole ‘t-level’ shit is seriously overrated. live a good lifestyle and your t-levels will be as good as they can be without using exogenous test. that whole ‘build test levels during training’ shit is so inconsequential.

For the original poster, I think a Waterbury program like TBT or TTT would be a good place to go after OLAD.

For the argument going on, you say that this program is for “noobs” but Dan John lists several elite weightlifters who followed this same type of plan and were very strong individuals. danjohn.org

In case nobody’s ever told you this hueyOT… you’re exactly the opposite of what T-Nation’s all about.

Rarely have I ever come across someone so closed minded. You’re a real gem pal. The program’s designed by an experienced, well respected trainer, & everybody who’s tried this program has reported success. You’re the only one slamming the program & you’ve never even done it!

Maybe you’re the smartest guy here, & you really do know everything. My guess is that you’re the dumbest guy here & you think you know everything.

If you’re too proud/blind to see that maybe there’s something out there you don’t know yet, then you should probably stop visiting this site.

[quote]scottiscool wrote:
For the original poster, I think a Waterbury program like TBT or TTT would be a good place to go after OLAD.

For the argument going on, you say that this program is for “noobs” but Dan John lists several elite weightlifters who followed this same type of plan and were very strong individuals. danjohn.org
[/quote]

that page is unclear as to details. is that showing one hard week of training from three individuals? what about the other weeks? and there are still days there when 2 exercises were done by some of those dudes.

my bet would be on that anyone elite eould do far more work and do it much differently than OLAD prescribes.

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
when did i say anything about the pump? this board is full of little kid who like to be holier than thou when they can’t even bench double body weight.

please step off your elitist ‘go for the pump’ condescending comment, i am hardly one of those cheesy 150 pound kids doing cable curls 'til failure.
[/quote]

Ummm…

I can’t bench 480-490, God forbid trying to bench double what I weigh when I’m bulking

Good for you if you can really do that.

[quote]scottiscool wrote:

[/quote]

take the first lifter of that link, for example… he’s doing 6 differet lifts in 4 days.

and look at the types of lifts he’s doing. that’s far different that the program outlines on this site which actually recommend doing something like incline bench press only in one workout. how can you compare something like a powerclean workout to an incline barbell press workout?

[quote]jdearl wrote:
hueyOT wrote:

Just food for thought.

Personally, I’ve done programs where I simply came in and tried to do more each week, and they didn’t work well for me. OLADs built in rest week and tapering of volume towards a max double, on the other hand, has worked well for me. I don’t do it all year, but I definitely mix in a cycle or two every year. If that makes me a noob, then I hope I stay a noob forever.[/quote]

Good analysis.

[quote]Killa Cam wrote:
In case nobody’s ever told you this hueyOT… you’re exactly the opposite of what T-Nation’s all about.

Rarely have I ever come across someone so closed minded. You’re a real gem pal. The program’s designed by an experienced, well respected trainer, & everybody who’s tried this program has reported success. You’re the only one slamming the program & you’ve never even done it!

Maybe you’re the smartest guy here, & you really do know everything. My guess is that you’re the dumbest guy here & you think you know everything.

If you’re too proud/blind to see that maybe there’s something out there you don’t know yet, then you should probably stop visiting this site.
[/quote]

I agree; instead of trying to help the original poster out, huey had to go on and on about how OLAD is shit when he’s never even done the program. Hey Huey, since you’ve never done the program I don’t really think that you have any say to call it a “newbie” routine. In fact all of the routines posted here are probably newbie routines for you, so I don’t really know why you are here?

To the original poster; I’ve been doing TBT for a few weeks and think it is a very good routine.

My 2cents

MS

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
hueyOT wrote:
this board is full of little kid who like to be holier than thou when they can’t even bench double body weight.

[/quote]

Look at you calling the kettle black. Picking apart Scott’s math by saying he doesn’t know anything about your workloads (which you did provide your workout info, apparently just not enough info) and here you are saying things about me when you don’t even know me. I appreciate being called a kid though - that hasn’t happened in a long time.

You speak too much of things you don’t know and you are a dick to boot. That puts you into the “Major Troll” category around here.

A hearty HAAAARRRRRRR to you and may you move on quickly and take your festering asshole with you.

DB

Can you say ‘Troll’!!!

HueyOT,

Don’t you think if we all had the luxury of training 10+ hours per week, of course we’d be doing more than one lift per day?

And I’m sorry, but if you train that much, have a normal, job, wife, and kids, then something besides your training is getting seriously neglected. If you’re just single, with a job and are focused on your training oustide of work enough to spend 6-7 days at it, then more power to you. In college I trained 7 days a week, 3-4 hours a day, about 1-1.5 hours of which was lifting. I loved it. I made gains that are still with me today. But there’s a time and place for everything. Enjoy it while it lasts now if you ever plan to have a family.

OLAD is not a noob program, its essentially just a time-efficient portion of a neurological peaking mesocycle. And its probably more suited to advanced lifters than to noobs actually, because it takes greater advantage of an advanced lifter’s neural efficiency.

Its basically just the 80/20 principle. Some of us only have time for the 20% of a routine, so an OLAD cycle allows us to focus on the 20% that gets us 80% of the results.

[quote]beans wrote:
HueyOT,

And I’m sorry, but if you train that much, have a normal, job, wife, and kids, then something besides your training is getting seriously neglected.
[/quote]

Troll, have the above mentioned things? I HIGHLY doubt it. I have a job, wife, and 4 kids and a home to take care of. I’m grateful as hell to get an hour of training 4 days a week.

[quote]ruglayer09052000 wrote:
beans wrote:
HueyOT,

And I’m sorry, but if you train that much, have a normal, job, wife, and kids, then something besides your training is getting seriously neglected.

Troll, have the above mentioned things? I HIGHLY doubt it. I have a job, wife, and 4 kids and a home to take care of. I’m grateful as hell to get an hour of training 4 days a week.

[/quote]

Huey lists his occupation as “kinesiology student,” so yeah, this is just a college kid with time on his hands.

OLAD could also be a good training plan while dieting. Focus on gaining strength in only a few lifts with a low-volume lifting program that won’t zap recovery and spend the rest of the time doing energy systems work. Ever think of this application for OLAD, Huey?

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:

Huey lists his occupation as “kinesiology student,” so yeah, this is just a college kid with time on his hands.
[/quote]

Figures :wink:

[quote]
OLAD could also be a good training plan while dieting. Focus on gaining strength in only a few lifts with a low-volume lifting program that won’t zap recovery and spend the rest of the time doing energy systems work. Ever think of this application for OLAD, Huey? [/quote]

Probably not. Remember, he’s not a NOOB!!! :slight_smile: Also, he’s just a kid, which means he knows everything as well. Ahhhh, youth. I remember it well!!! :slight_smile: