Life After One Lift a Day?

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
OneEye wrote:
hueyOT wrote:
OneEye wrote:
hueyOT wrote:
conorh wrote:
hueyOT wrote:
one lift a day seems like a real dumb training protocol to me… unless you’re a total noob to training. it’s not enough work to get serious gains. anyone with an even moderate level of conditioning should be able to handle much much much more volume of training.

Y’ought to give it a try first, if you haven’t.

no thanks. i can handle more than one exercise a day, thanks.

Then you have no reason to be knocking the program. “It doesn’t look like a good program and I’m not willing to try it” isn’t a very convincing argument. I for one would take Danny John’s training advice over yours any day.

good for you, but one lift a day is still a noob program for trainees with low levels of conditioning. for me, it would be a step backwards. i can tolerate much much much more volume than one lift a day.

did i say it was a shitty program? no. did i say it was for noobs? yes.

Can tolerate doesn’t necessarily mean must/should do. Danny John never said anything about it being a newbie program. If you can offer up any evidence that it is, other than “because I said so and I can tolerate more work so it’s a newbie program,” then please do. Until then, your opinion isn’t really worth much.

Dan John wrote
Because the single finest training system I’ve ever used continues to be the only training program I can recommend. The problem? Well, the problem with this training program is: it’s really hard. No, really.

It’s really hard, but really simple. Still, a fitness magazine would never run it because the average reader would never even try it.

and

The One Lift a Day Program is really hard. Certainly, it’s the most productive program most people have ever tried, but it’s simply too hard.

Again, if I had to pick which one of you actually knew what they were talking about, it sure as hell wouldn’t be you.

BAM! Well put. Anyone who claims they can’t gain strength on OLAD (for ANY reason) doesn’t have the experience to back up their opinion. He specifically pointed out strenght gains. If he had said hypertrophy, he could make a legit point, because there are likely better programs for short-term hypertrophy, particularly for advanced trainers. However, the fact that he specifically said strength, renders him as valid a source as my asshole to make comments.

DB[/quote]

i’d like to see even a handful of elite, or very advanced trainees that stand by this one-lift-a-day training program other than the 150 pound noobs on this site.

bad program? no. better than most men’s health dumbass programs? yes. good program for anyone with considerable experience or good conditioning? hell no.

[quote]Skull_Crusher wrote:
I really like the idea of doing one lift a day, but its the rep schemes after the 1st week im not so sure about. I mean who wants to go to the gym, do just work 3 sets of 1 exercise and call it a day? And then you’re supposed to take the 4th week off???[/quote]

it’s for noobs who have zero foundation and zero conditioning… they can’t handle more work.

but if you’re advanced, it’s a step backwards. and who the hell wants to go backwards?

I really like the idea of doing one lift a day, but its the rep schemes after the 1st week im not so sure about. I mean who wants to go to the gym, do just work 3 sets of 1 exercise and call it a day? And then you’re supposed to take the 4th week off???[/quote]

Try it and see. OLAD is a strength-gaining program. That 3rd week is for hitting your PRs. How many sets do you need to do that? To anyone who doubts the effectiveness of this program, try it. Take it from those of us who have tried it, it does work.

What are you afraid of? Are you afraid of improving your strength with less volume as if that will somehow make you a pussy for some reason?

And you don’t necessarily HAVE to take week 4 off. It’s a “back-off” week. That could mean that you take a couple of extra days off and then do some light workouts at the end of the week. Or, when I did it, take the whole week off and work on eating heartily and sleeping more.

If you still don’t believe, check out the OLAD support thread for testimonials.

DB

sigh

i’m sure people have made progress on the OLAD program, i’m sure people have gotten sore on the OLAD program… so what?

i’m not going to say this again: if you have even a moderate level of conditioning and moderate foundation of muscle, OLAD is a step backwards.

there’s not enough training frequency to give ideal strength gains, and instead of balancing out the volume for a given exercise over the course of, let’s say a week , you’re closer to annihilating yourself on a particular exercise instead of simulating appropriately.

since when were ‘hard’ workouts the same as ‘good’ workouts? never. just because some 18 year old was sore for a few days after finally doing more than 2 sets of squats doesn’t make it a good program. just because it’s better than a men’s health program doesn’t say much.

stop sticking up for this noob program. if it worked for you, good. but if you’re advanced <benching near 2 x times BW, squatting around 2.5 BW, able to do a lot of chins, etc> this program isn’t a smart move.

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
do you really think i give a shit what you think about me? no.

one lift a day is hard? maybe for noobs. and don’t think i’m one of those fools who goes into the gym and does 3 sets of 10 reps on bench with 1 plate.

and as far as volume tolerance, you should generally be doing as much volume as you can tolerate while still making strength and size gains. if performance begins to go down, back off a bit .

but one lift a day simply for the sake of being different and ‘simple’? please.

i can make a walking workout hard too, go walk for 5 hours a day. just because you can do one exercise to exhaustion or do enough sets and reps to be ‘hard’ doesn’t make it a good program for someone who already has a solid foundation.

why the fuck are you arguing with me anyways? it’sm not a good program for anyone interested in serious strength and size gains <all over the body, obviously> with considerable lifting experience.[/quote]

OK great whatever.

Dan John is the former number one in the world in the Highland Games, ages 45-49, broke the American record in the Weight Pentathlon, holds numerous National Championships in weightlifting and throwing, and maintains a full-time free internet coaching site at danjohn.org .

You know better than he does. Good for you. I’m done.

Dude, (huey MAX-OT) i dont think your opinion matters here. Stop while your behind.

are you familiar with the logical fallacy ‘appeal to authority’? obviously not.

wtf is the ‘weight pentathlon’ and who even gives a shit?

you sound like aome angry 18-year-old sticking up for your infallible online coach.

what i forgot to mention was that your logical fallacy was ‘appeal to authority’. look it up and stop following online programs from this site without any critical thinking on your own behalf. i like this site, but i’m not naive enough to think it’s infallible.

remember, i never said it was a bad program, just a noob program. and there’s nothing wrong with being a noob. we all start somewhere.

let me put it this way, if i saw a noob doing this program i’d be thinking he was on the right track.

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
are you familiar with the logical fallacy ‘appeal to authority’? obviously not.

wtf is the ‘weight pentathlon’ and who even gives a shit?

you sound like aome angry 18-year-old sticking up for your infallible online coach.[/quote]

“I’m done” obviously got lost somewhere. I have no desire to argue with someone that has it all figured out.

I’m done.

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
one lift a day seems like a real dumb training protocol to me… unless you’re a total noob to training. it’s not enough work to get serious gains. anyone with an even moderate level of conditioning should be able to handle much much much more volume of training.[/quote]

You don’t know what you are talking about. It is a great program for many people, not just new lifters.

You will likely set personal bests in every lift that week.

It doesn’t take much time on week three but it is fun as hell.

If you feel the need to spend a little more tine in the gym do some jump rope, treadmill, situps etc.

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
sigh

i’m sure people have made progress on the OLAD program, i’m sure people have gotten sore on the OLAD program… so what?

i’m not going to say this again: if you have even a moderate level of conditioning and moderate foundation of muscle, OLAD is a step backwards.

there’s not enough training frequency to give ideal strength gains, and instead of balancing out the volume for a given exercise over the course of, let’s say a week , you’re closer to annihilating yourself on a particular exercise instead of simulating appropriately.

since when were ‘hard’ workouts the same as ‘good’ workouts? never. just because some 18 year old was sore for a few days after finally doing more than 2 sets of squats doesn’t make it a good program. just because it’s better than a men’s health program doesn’t say much.

stop sticking up for this noob program. if it worked for you, good. but if you’re advanced <benching near 2 x times BW, squatting around 2.5 BW, able to do a lot of chins, etc> this program isn’t a smart move.[/quote]

I was painfully reading over this thread.

hueyOT are you an ADVANCED trainee? What are some of your PR’s? Truthfully.

OLAD is a neat little program and a nice change of pace.

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
i currently do about 20-30-ish minutes of squatting with short rest intervals 2-3 times per week. i do mad volume and don’t need to step backwards into a noobie problem.

i can make a walking workout hard too, go walk for 5 hours a day. just because you can do one exercise to exhaustion or do enough sets and reps to be ‘hard’ doesn’t make it a good program for someone who already has a solid foundation.
[/quote]

Just out of curiousity. Squatting 2-3 times a week for 20-30min with short rest intervals doesn’t lead to exhaustion?

So just to play devil’s advocate - if your rest intervals are 60secs, you are doing 10-15 working sets. If I squatted 60% of my 1RM for 10-15 sets with short rest intervals, I would be friggin’ exhausted. And then you do a whole workout on top of that too? multiple times a week? You must recover quicker than Superman, I must say, I am thoroughly impressed

huey, what makes you think you are so advanced?

Your profile says you are 5’9" and 190 pounds. I hope you are at 5% bodyfat or are a champion powerlifter because otherwise you look like you are a little smaller than I am.

Doing huge amounts of volume with little intensity is NOT advanced. Doing minimal amounts of volume with maximal intensity is NOT noobish.

the last thing i’m gonna get into is an online pissing contest with you people. but yes, i’ve been training for quite awhile and i consider myself between intermediate and advanced level.

and my conditioning as far as volume tolerance is very high. i can maintain great performance over extended volume and frequency. OLAD program is far from a great program. it is a noob program.

[quote]Myosin wrote:
I am coming up on the end of my 8 week One Lift a Day program with great progress (broke all my PRs).

After the rest week…whats next? High volume, moderate weights? This program took a toll on my joints and I would like to give them a bit of rest but not lose my newly gained strength.

Any ideas?[/quote]

Ok, getting back to the original post… what you would expect, a hypertrophy based program, i like OVT, the parameters are great to play with some big weights, and also achieve some nice gains as well.

Any 5x5 inspired program, push /pull would be great…

To be totally clear, for me, after any strenth based program i like WM/AoW/OVT/Pendulum Training for Bodybuilders

Any of those would be a great follow up IMO. They all have independent reasons for following a strength program like OLAD. Read them, and see what you think.

[quote]TDog305 wrote:
hueyOT wrote:
i currently do about 20-30-ish minutes of squatting with short rest intervals 2-3 times per week. i do mad volume and don’t need to step backwards into a noobie problem.

Just out of curiousity. Squatting 2-3 times a week for 20-30min with short rest intervals doesn’t lead to exhaustion?

So just to play devil’s advocate - if your rest intervals are 60secs, you are doing 10-15 working sets. If I squatted 60% of my 1RM for 10-15 sets with short rest intervals, I would be friggin’ exhausted. And then you do a whole workout on top of that too? multiple times a week? You must recover quicker than Superman, I must say, I am thoroughly impressed[/quote]

let me give you a sample front squat session. currently my maximum front squat is 335. so, on a day where i’m training about 90% of that, i’ll do something like 10 sets of 1 rep with around 295. my rest period for this type of load is probably 2 minutes. maximum 3 minutes, but generally under two minutes. i watch the clock in between my between my sets.

and i never train 'til failure. and i’ll do this 2-3 times per week, often changing the percentages, total volume, and number of sets. rest times also change depending on the load.

and that’s just front squats. then it’s time for 2 or 3 other compound movements. so typically then it’s time for a military press battle, then a wide grip overhand chin battle, etc.

you get the idea.

the OLAD program is about 25% of my current workout, probably even less.

and if you’re doing your true 1RM, you don’t do 10 sets. you can train close to it, but not TOO close. i hope you know this.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
huey, what makes you think you are so advanced?

Your profile says you are 5’9" and 190 pounds. I hope you are at 5% bodyfat or are a champion powerlifter because otherwise you look like you are a little smaller than I am.[/quote]

i haven’t changed that profile in maybe 2 years. i think i’m around 200-205, now.

[quote]daraz wrote:
Doing huge amounts of volume with little intensity is NOT advanced. Doing minimal amounts of volume with maximal intensity is NOT noobish.[/quote]

i don’t do low percentages, kiddo.

try high intensity and high volume. again, it’s a matter of perspective… but as conditioning improves your tolerance for work volume goes up.