Kangaroo Meat

The ligaments in the chicken feet are supposed to be healthy, per my dearly deceased grandmother, “ligament good for you!” And with chicken feet, if they leave the toenails on, there’s a built-in toothpick. Hehe, just kidding.

In this category of “good for you” is also pig’s feet, fish eyes, pig kidneys, cow’s liver soup, cow heart soup, mammal brains, cockroach and black herbs tea and bone marrow. The only thing I will knowingly eat from this list is beef marrow.

[quote]Kailash wrote:
I’ve eaten chicken feet. The seemingly normal Chinese buffet down the street used to serve them, much to the disgust of other patrons. Basically, it’s just a bunch of fatty skin, joints and ligaments. I ate the joints and ligaments - Probably much better than our joint supplements, being a whole food source.[/quote]

There is not anything that I wont try at least once, but knowing what I do about the functions of organs such as liver and kidneys, it does seem strange to eat something that has a primary purpose of removing toxins from the body. Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me.

[quote]helga wrote:
There is not anything that I wont try at least once, but knowing what I do about the functions of organs such as liver and kidneys, it does seem strange to eat something that has a primary purpose of removing toxins from the body. Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me.[/quote]

My best understanding of the process is that the liver and kidneys don’t store toxins, but instead process them continually for neutralization and excretion. The body shouldn’t normally wish to store toxic substances. Though, when overburdened, the liver will store some in fat cells - to deal with at a later time.

May a medical doctor correct me if I’m wrong.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Ah forgot about the crawfish Good stuff but a lot of work.
[/quote]

Hmmm…I just caught this. You need to come down here. I’ll show you there is no hard work in eating mudbugs. Polishing off ten pounds in a sitting isn’t much of a stretch at all, especially with a cold beer. In fact crawfish season is coming soon.

I love Kangaroo and tried to eat it frequently in Australia. But it’s not something you can get here outside some nice restaurants and maybe some specialty stores. You won’t find it in the supermarket. Too bad.

[quote]TQB wrote:
Camel: A bit stringy but good in a slowcooked stew.
Kid: excellent in a kebab. Stay away from the parents,though.[/quote]

Camel is good. Also ate that in Australia on some Outback expeditions. Of course, everthing tastes good after hiking all day.

[quote]daven wrote:
And just to really irk PETA people: I make and wear leather clothing. I even tan my own hides when I have the opportunity and time. [/quote]

Daven, you seem like the kind of guy I would’ve liked to spend my Summers with when I was a teenager. I would’ve picked up some fine skills (and a cool jacket along the way).

Hell, I’d like to hang out with you right now if Virginia weren’t so far away! :slight_smile:

[quote]Miserere wrote:
Daven, you seem like the kind of guy I would’ve liked to spend my Summers with when I was a teenager. I would’ve picked up some fine skills (and a cool jacket along the way).

Hell, I’d like to hang out with you right now if Virginia weren’t so far away! :-)[/quote]

Bah. Virginia is on the East Coast, and thus is fairly close to England. Possibly may be a moot point soon, however. If all goes well with my company, I might be taking an extended “working vacation”, wherin I hop around Europe for about a year while dragging my laptop with me.