Kangaroo Meat

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
Ohh…Shark. Grilled Shark steaks are yummy![/quote]

I like cajun style.

Shark, buffalo, snake, ostrich, mountain lion, elk, deer, wild turkey, rabbit, quail, boar, bear, just about anything.

The mountain lion was awesome! It’s a white meat, like pork, but much leaner and so much tastier!

Would be very interested in trying kangaroo and crocodile.

For my money nothing beats Ostrich. Taste’s better than beef & buffalo with 1g fat per 4oz.

[quote]Caine wrote:
Shark, buffalo, snake, ostrich, mountain lion, elk, deer, wild turkey, rabbit, quail, boar, bear, just about anything.

The mountain lion was awesome! It’s a white meat, like pork, but much leaner and so much tastier!

Would be very interested in trying kangaroo and crocodile.[/quote]

YOU ALL ARE A BUNCH OF CARNIVORES!!!

Haha j/k.

Thie thread is kewl. I’m curious about the scorpions…

I found coon to be too greasy especially when barbequed. A good shark steak when broiled will have a similar taste to porkchops. People in these parts eat possum too, but I can’t. Something about eating an animal that’s usaully diggin in the trash that turns me off.

Crawfish are excellent, black buck is really lean too, ( it’s a small african deer about the size of a medium dog) and I like elk as well.

bullpup

Camel: A bit stringy but good in a slowcooked stew.
Kid: excellent in a kebab. Stay away from the parents,though.

Ah forgot about the crawfish Good stuff but a lot of work.

Im also one of those freaks that like intrails, hearts, livers gizzards. usually Very high protein and extremely lean.

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
YOU ALL ARE A BUNCH OF CARNIVORES!!!

Haha j/k.

Thie thread is kewl. I’m curious about the scorpions…
[/quote]

Yet again, here is a post for Chinadoll. grin I have a fan. Woohoo!

Scorpions do not have much of a flavor. A bit astringent, but the whole idea is to chomp and eat them before they can pinch/sting you. Yes, sometimes they are alive when you munch on them. Dead and pan-fried in spiced oil they are very crunchy and taste vaguely like grasshopper. And I realize that is a useless comparison. Alive (I ate one this way) I did not notice a flavor, as having a whole (albeit small) scorpion walking on my tongue made me bite down and swallow too quickly to notice the taste.

Ah, the wonderful things people do to you when you are on business trips. Why can I never have anyone take me to a strip club like other guys seem to get?

Anyone here tried camel meat? I noticed that i can get access to it here in Oz (we have a camel problem) and wanted to give it a go, but im curious to know what its gonna taste like.

[quote]perseng wrote:
Anyone here tried camel meat? I noticed that i can get access to it here in Oz (we have a camel problem) and wanted to give it a go, but im curious to know what its gonna taste like.[/quote]

I regularly eat chillied camel jerky. Nice!!!

[quote]Massif wrote:
perseng wrote:
Anyone here tried camel meat? I noticed that i can get access to it here in Oz (we have a camel problem) and wanted to give it a go, but im curious to know what its gonna taste like.

I regularly eat chillied camel jerky. Nice!!![/quote]

Where do you get it?

[quote]perseng wrote:
Massif wrote:
perseng wrote:

I regularly eat chillied camel jerky. Nice!!!

Where do you get it?
[/quote]

I used to get it from Coles, but I mainly just buy it at roadhouses now.

[quote]Massif wrote:
I used to get it from Coles, but I mainly just buy it at roadhouses now.[/quote]

Cool, well I hust found myself a wholesaler in Perth that sells a whole bunch of ‘wierd’ meats, as well as the standard ones.

Started with some kangaroo today, was great.

I’m gonna get stuck into all the gamey meats, so apart from fish (which will remain a staple), i’m not going to be having very much beef or lamb or chicken, rather choosing the wild stuff.

On a side note. I avoid veal because, despite the good taste, I saw some video narrated by Alec Baldwin with the baby cow being auctioned in front of a ring of farmers and the cow couldnt even walk cos it was so weak cos they keep the cow confined.

Now, without even looking at the nutritional breakdown of veal, from a pseudo scientific point of view, what would be the effect of eating an animal that is essentially crippled due to its confined and dark environment?

Massif, you know where I can get some snake meat?

[quote]perseng wrote:
what would be the effect of eating an animal that is essentially crippled due to its confined and dark environment?[/quote]

Just to note that that is a good description of practically all presumably healthy chicken…

they confine the veal so that it has fat buildup in the muscle. That gives it a better marbling, and makes it taste better and be more tender.

I eat kangaroo instead of beef as much as possible. It is nice and easy to get here in Australia, and cheaper than beef. Finally, something that is cheaper here than in the states!!!

(Hint Hint Biotest, are we getting screwed over on supplement prices in Australia or is it really that expensive to ship here?)

OMG, that gives me the eebie jeebies!

[quote]daven wrote:
Scorpions do not have much of a flavor. A bit astringent, but the whole idea is to chomp and eat them before they can pinch/sting you. Yes, sometimes they are alive when you munch on them. Dead and pan-fried in spiced oil they are very crunchy and taste vaguely like grasshopper. And I realize that is a useless comparison. Alive (I ate one this way) I did not notice a flavor, as having a whole (albeit small) scorpion walking on my tongue made me bite down and swallow too quickly to notice the taste.
[/quote]

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
But then again, I love salted duck eggs like crazy. Yeah, we chinese eat a lot of weird things…duck liver sausage, funky herbs, herb jello, chicken feet, organs, dog soup, insect tea.[/quote]

I’ve eaten chicken feet. The seemingly normal Chinese buffet down the street used to serve them, much to the disgust of other patrons. Basically, it’s just a bunch of fatty skin, joints and ligaments. I ate the joints and ligaments - Probably much better than our joint supplements, being a whole food source.

The same buffet also had whole flounder in the past, head to tail, with all the fins and skin… I freaked out some kids in the food line by moving the flounder’s mouth, “Ahhh! Don’t eat me!” The head fell apart when I picked it up, and there was a bit of slimy meat on its cheeks, slurp.

I’m surprised nobody mentioned pheasant or grouse. Those were always my favorite game birds. Woodcock isn’t my style, it’s gamier than anything. Been a long time since I went hunting though, since there’s so many pasture raised, naturally-fed animals available these days at the health food stores in Kalamazoo (chicken, turkey, pork, beef, bison, ostrich).

[quote]Phill wrote:
Im also one of those freaks that like intrails, hearts, livers gizzards. usually Very high protein and extremely lean.[/quote]

Me too. Whenever I pass by St. Ignace (at the north end of the Mackinac Bridge), I have to stop in “The Galley” for a basket of whitefish livers. Awesome vitamin content. Gizzards rock too, but I’ve yet to find a local source of free-range or wild (fish) organ meat.

Oh, I have eaten the eggs of fish that I caught. When cleaning, I’ve just removed the entire ovaries - membraneous sacks stuffed with eggs - and fried them with some water like a sausage. Tasted a lot like chicken eggs, yum.