Jiu Jitsu Wrestling Takedowns

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Anything against a person who is skilled can be tricky. Most of the counters I can think of don’t require a high level of skill to be effective.
[/quote]

Yes, I agree.

That is a possible counter. But, you must first stop the person’s forward pressure and have a good solid base (very difficult to generate enough force when you are off balance). A good takedown artist is not just going to sit there on their knees and wait for you to pull off a counter.

I agree though that attacking the spine (as in locking the spine) can be a very effective method of defending a takedown.

The windpipe may or may not be a viable target. The carotids can also be viable (you mentioned a guillotine choke) along with the collar bone. You can also attack the nerves under the jaw line, behind the ear, or the side of the skull (using a “razor fist”). But once again, you must stop the initial takedown to pull those off.

It also can be harder than you might think to get to the eyes, especially if the person is aware of eye attacks and knows how to prevent you from getting them.

Yes, that’s a very possible defense (and the neck break is brutal). It still depends though on what type of takedown (high single, low single, high double, high crotch, etc…) you are talking about.

Well, that’s not really a “side stance” then from the definitions of stances that I know. But yes, a basic “on guard” stance would be a better choice for most situations.

You need to buy time because if you don’t you’re going to be crashing to the ground before you know what happened.

A good takedown artist doesn’t look to just get in, grab your legs and then muscle you to the ground. They’re looking to plow through you, grabbing 1 or two legs on the way in to prevent you from being able to regain your balance.

The correct way to get the leg up in a single for instance isn’t to try to pick it up (muscle it up), but to drive the opponent backwards/off balance, and use that drive to stand up with the leg. Once there (and if you have been taught now to defend against possible “street” attacks) it’s very difficult to pull off any of the counters that you have suggested.

So you need to buy time to regain a solid balanced position from which you can then perform any number of defenses.

Of course a good opponent is going to be constantly adjusting to you, so you need to be able to pull off counters without thinking. Hence the need to actually practice takedowns/takedown defenses with other skilled practitioners.

You are also right that there are counters to takedowns (both “sport friendly” and “street”), I haven’t been trying to say otherwise. I’m just saying that you must really train the heck out of those counters against truly skilled practitioners.

Sadly, many people practice their takedown defense against people who quite frankly suck at takedowns. Yet because these people can make their stuff work against crappy takedown artists, they think they could pull them off against truly skilled opponents. That’s just not the case.

Also, while the defenses that are common in sporting contexts (especially wrestling) might not be as lethal as some “street” methods, they can still be just as effective at defending takedowns.

After all, wrestling is pretty much a sport purely consisting of who can take who to the ground and control them. As the old saying goes, “if you want to know the best way to the top of the mountain, ask the man who goes there everyday”.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:

[/quote]
Back for more are you.

[quote]

To the new guys on the forum: Sifu is the resident TMA (traditional martial arts) guy. [/quote]

And you are the resident pimply faced teenager who thinks that your Tapout tattoo, Tapout shirt, Tapout shorts, Tapout socks, Tapout school bag and Tapout thong makes you a badass. You can’t accept the fact that the reason why you can’t fight is not because you didn’t learn the right style but because you are a worthless fatass. You keep thinking that in MMA you have found the secret style that will make you invincible because you are too immature to understand that there is no substitute for hard work, experience and even talent. [quote]

He talks about throat strikes. [/quote]

I’ve been punched in the throat and had one of the ribs in my windpipe broken and I’ve done the same thing to someone else. I’m not talking. Bitch. [quote]

He once told the board about some “master” that could break your ribs by applying so much press if you were in his guard. [/quote]

You have me confused with someone else, jackass, because I never wrote anything like that. About the only things I have written about breaking ribs is what my teacher taught. Which was “it is nothing to break boards”, (which is why we didn’t do any of that) “if you break someones ribs now that is something”. Which is why I have had several broken ribs.

My teachers are masters. They’ve fought tougher fights than you ever have.

[quote]

He said in another post that head gear doesn’t help you absorb head shots. [/quote]

The main thing headgear does is protect against cuts. If your worthless fatass can’t hurt someone with headgear on it’s because you are a pussy. [quote]

Keep that in mind when discussing these issues with him.[/quote]

Speaking of issues, if Californialaw asks you to train with him keep it in mind that when he practices Jiu Jitsu CL does like to make “eye contact” during rolls. If you know what I mean.

this thread is looking more and more like MMA.tv forums all the time.

-chris

I'M RICK JAMES BIITCH!!!

^pro

Yes, some of this shit is clearly right, and some is clearly wrong.

Even before UFC 1, there was this stuff called “vale tudo.” And Gracie in Action videos.

You could do whatever you wanted in these fights. You could do crazy elbow spikes on a guy’s spine. Throat punches. Body scissors that would supposedly break a guys ribs.

No TMA guy ever did shit. No TMA guy could beat a BJJ guy. Ever.

That is just fact. Reality. Proven. Over and over again.

You guys act like there is not a whole library of footage about this stuff and that we should just debate this stuff from scratch.

If that’s how knowledge progressed, we’d still be debating whether the Earth was flat.

So I am all for looking to what is the future of TMA.
Some guys like Machida, for example, are showing that traditional martial arts can play have a role in modern mixed martial arts. Look at Florian’s 3d round. Lots of TMA point-style fighting there.

Whether and to what extent TMA works in MMA is the new frontier. By all means, let’s discuss it.

But let’s not pretend that some things are not fact. Debating whether TMA is mystical or beats BJJ is totally and completely silly. There is nothing to debate. The facts are in. Some guys like Sifu need to get with the times.

Not really. I have nothing to debate with you. You are living in a fantasy world.

If others want to join you on Fantasy Island, great for them. But they should at least know what they’re getting into.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Actually I know a variety of takedowns. Not just the ones in Wol’s video. Some of them involve foot work, balance breaks, grapples, strikes used in combination.

In a chest to chest clinch you had better hope the other guy doesn’t think he’s a vampire and rip your Carotid artery or Jugular vein out with his teeth.
[/quote]

I know these comments were directed towards Avacado, but I wanted to comment on them anyway.

I know a variety of takedowns, many that were not in the video as well, and some that would not be legal in MMA. The highest efficiency ones are very simple, require very little skill to perform (some skill to get into position to do though) and are extremely difficult (if not down right impossible) to defend (once someone has the right positioning).

About the chest to chest clinch, you are right that biting is a very real concern/tool when in close quarters on the street. We used to bite each other when we rolled and it’s very possible to learn how to both use and defend against bites effectively. So if one knew how to defend against them, it would be very difficult for someone to bite them while in a chest to chest clinch.

[quote]
You have a good point that a lot of guys get caught by take downs and don’t effectively counter. One of the main reasons is a lot of the fighters in MMA don’t stay in movement. They just stand there and wait for the other guy to unload with something. Once you stop moving you give the other guy the chance to focus and set you up. [/quote]

Now this I completely agree with. I see a lot of MMA guys who need a lot of work on their footwork and movement skills.

Schwarzfahrer wrote: C’mon, most of these points aren’t clearly right or wrong. It’s good to have someone speaking from the perspective of a traditional guy here on this board, especially if he takes his time to write extensive, well-thought posts.

Yes, some of this shit is clearly right, and some is clearly wrong.

Even before UFC 1, there was this stuff called “vale tudo.” And Gracie in Action videos. [/quote]

You are such an ignorant fucking MMA fanboy. Before there was your MMA fanboy shit there was a thing called a “real fight”. My teacher was a cop who has been in heck of a lot of real fights. Fights where the winner gets a trophy called “the cops gun”. He never lost any of those get the cops gun fights. Though he did have a co-worker who lost one of the matches die on him while he was giving him CPR. Noone in UFC history has ever lost a match with a big fucking hole in their chest like my teachers co-worker.

We had another black belt from our group who was a cop in Windsor Canada which is a really safe city with no violent crime. He died from a knife to the chest.

How many sportsmen competing in Vale Tudo tournaments have been shot or stabbed in the chest as part of the competition? Bitch ass fanboy.

There was also a thing called dojo challenges, where strangers would walk into the dojo and want to fight someone. These people could be anyone from hard asses to bikers to trained martial artists. No where in America has as bad of a history of dojo challenges as Detroit.

Dojo rivalry in Detroit is so bad we have even had black belts from our own group come in and start shit. So it is offensive to read your fanboy shit coming from punk ass LA.

[quote]

You could do whatever you wanted in these fights. You could do crazy elbow spikes on a guy’s spine. Throat punches. Body scissors that would supposedly break a guys ribs. [/quote]

See above punk ass.

My teachers had a lot of respect for Ju Jitsu people, but they never got their asses kicked by anyone when they did dojo challenges. Not even the Ju Jitsu people.

Of all the ignorant shit you come out with nothing is more ignorant and disrespectful than your constant use of TMA. You don’t know shit about martial arts, yet your punk ass has the unmitigated gall to lump us all together like there is no difference.

There is a big difference between TKD and Kyokushin. There is difference between Kyoushin and Isshinryu. It’s a good example of your ignrance that your punkass doesn’t talk shit about Kyokushin while Isshinryu which I study is a much more modern and advanced system. When Kyokushin founder Mas Oyama held his first full contact karate tournament in Madison Square Garden in 1962 it wasn’t the Kyokushin people who won it. It was won by Don Nagles Isshinryu students. [quote]

You guys act like there is not a whole library of footage about this stuff and that we should just debate this stuff from scratch. [/quote]

You are a fucking tournament weenie. You act like sport martial arts is the same as self defense martial arts or somehow it is better because you can get trophies to show off how great you are. [quote]

If that’s how knowledge progressed, we’d still be debating whether the Earth was flat.

So I am all for looking to what is the future of TMA.
Some guys like Machida, for example, are showing that traditional martial arts can play have a role in modern mixed martial arts. Look at Florian’s 3d round. Lots of TMA point-style fighting there.

Whether and to what extent TMA works in MMA is the new frontier. By all means, let’s discuss it. [/quote]

Again with the tournaments, you are such a fucking tournament weenie. [quote]

But let’s not pretend that some things are not fact. Debating whether TMA is mystical or beats BJJ is totally and completely silly. There is nothing to debate. The facts are in. Some guys like Sifu need to get with the times.[/quote]

Instead you want to pretend tournaments are the real world. Fuck you.

Not that I would mess with any UFC fighters but they do things in the cage that could get them killed on the street.

Real fights are not always weaponless one on one affairs.

Sport fighting is not the same as a life and death struggle.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Sifu wrote:
Actually I know a variety of takedowns. Not just the ones in Wol’s video. Some of them involve foot work, balance breaks, grapples, strikes used in combination.

In a chest to chest clinch you had better hope the other guy doesn’t think he’s a vampire and rip your Carotid artery or Jugular vein out with his teeth.

I know these comments were directed towards Avacado, but I wanted to comment on them anyway.

I know a variety of takedowns, many that were not in the video as well, and some that would not be legal in MMA. The highest efficiency ones are very simple, require very little skill to perform (some skill to get into position to do though) and are extremely difficult (if not down right impossible) to defend (once someone has the right positioning). [/quote]

The Isshinryu system that I study is an “in-fighting” system where we are supposed to stay a forearms length away from our opponent. We have a lot of takedown opportunities that result just from our footwork.

Simplicity is one of the hallmarks of our systems philosophy. It is one of the reasons why our system gets looked down upon by other systems, because we don’t use a lot of complex intricate moves to accomplish something that can be done simply.

I was watching a Gracie ju jitsu video the other day where he was showing how to pass the guard. He had a dozen moves he had to do to get out of a scissors lock and get around to side mount. I kept thinking it would be a lot easier just to sock the other guy in the nuts or grab ahold and start twisting.

The simple stuff can be brutally effective, but it gets overlooked because it is simple.

[quote]
About the chest to chest clinch, you are right that biting is a very real concern/tool when in close quarters on the street. We used to bite each other when we rolled and it’s very possible to learn how to both use and defend against bites effectively. So if one knew how to defend against them, it would be very difficult for someone to bite them while in a chest to chest clinch. [/quote]

Good point, there is a right way to bite. One of the things you have to be careful of is the other guy doesn’t jump when you bite him and your teeth get caught in his clothing and ripped out. You either have to really sink your teeth in or be ready to release and let him get loose.

[quote]
You have a good point that a lot of guys get caught by take downs and don’t effectively counter. One of the main reasons is a lot of the fighters in MMA don’t stay in movement. They just stand there and wait for the other guy to unload with something. Once you stop moving you give the other guy the chance to focus and set you up.

Now this I completely agree with. I see a lot of MMA guys who need a lot of work on their footwork and movement skills.[/quote]

I respect the MMA people for being tough and as I learn more about the ground game I am starting to see more of the sutleties of it. But when it comes to the stand up, most of those guys are so disappointing to watch. The biggest disappoinment is movement or ringmanship. The guys in the UFC are supposed to be some of the best fighters in the world yet most of them don’t move as well as I would expect a green belt to move.

The stand up gets dissed by a lot of people yet if you look at some of the most dominant fighters they have a background in a stand up art. ie George St. Pierre, Kyokushin, or Anderson Silva, Muay Thai.

To learn stand up you really need to learn an art where you are going to spend time doing strictly stand up. Where you have no option of clinching up and dragging the other guy to the ground. That way you get used to moving or fighting your way out of situations. Then once you have that down you can start bringing in grappling.

That’s why in the kids in MMA thread I wrote that kids should learn a stand up art and a grappling art seperately and get good at both then bring them together.

Otherwise clinching up is such a natural reaction that is easy to do, that it becomes a crutch that is used to compensate for a lack of movement skills.

What is really rare to see in MMA is once one guy starts to clinch up the other guy tries to prevent it. Often it’s really disappointing to see because clinching is usually a defensive reaction to getting a beat down. Yet time and time again I will see one fighter getting a beat down clinch up to stop the beating and the other fighter will stop kicking his ass and just go along with the grappling instead of counter grappling then going back to the beat down.

Probably the best example of some bucking this trend was when GSP beat Matt Hughes. Hughes tried to take GSP to the ground but he countered it and went back to beating Hughes like a read headed step child.

Or Chuck Liddell, if someone tries to grapple him up he will break away, get distance, then go back to beating the hell out of him.

There is some truth to this. But what follows from that? That some mythical TMA that doesn’t even work in a one-on-one fight is superior?

If a TMA guy can’t keep a 150-pound Gracie off of him, how is he going to do against multiple attackers?

On the other hand, if you can knock a guy out with a punch, or devastate him with a leg kick, how is that not helpful in “the streets.”

Here, e.g., is a boxer going against multiple attackers:

People always want to bring guns into the discussion. If a guy pulls a gun on you, is Sifu-Fu really going to help?

I know “moves” to disarm someone. But if you pull a gun on me, you’re getting my wallet. Period.

What is the “real world”? Everyone talks about “the streets” or the “real world” as if people don’t use BJJ in “the streets” or the “real world.”

You think people rolling at Royler’s or Rickson’s or Renzo’s don’t get into fights? Get real, man.

In BJJ, we don’t talk about “the streets” or “self defense.” We don’t point spar or say, “We can’t do this move because it’s too dangerous.”

We make an effort to break the limbs of fully-resisting opponents. We try to choke people into unconsciousness. If you cannot see why that approach is superior, then keep doing your katas and throwing your air karate chops. At least if you’re in the dojo, you’re not creating havoc in “the streets.”

Zap Branigan wrote: Real fights are not always weaponless one on one affairs.

There is some truth to this. But what follows from that? That some mythical TMA that doesn’t even work in a one-on-one fight is superior?

If a TMA guy can’t keep a 150-pound Gracie off of him, how is he going to do against multiple attackers?

On the other hand, if you can knock a guy out with a punch, or devastate him with a leg kick, how is that not helpful in “the streets.”

Here, e.g., is a boxer going against multiple attackers:

People always want to bring guns into the discussion. If a guy pulls a gun on you, is Sifu-Fu really going to help?

I know “moves” to disarm someone. But if you pull a gun on me, you’re getting my wallet. Period.[/quote]

I have the same issues w/ the TMA as you and I wouldn’t try to disarm a gunman except under the most extraordinary circumstances. I would certainly give up my wallet and car first.

If I ever get in a real fight again and someone tries to pull guard on me I will ruin his face with headbutts. Lots of openings like that in current MMA style fighting.

As I said earlier I wouldn’t want to mess with a real MMA fighter regardless of the potential weaknesses.

If you leaned your head that far forward, you’d lose posture and the BJJ guy would take your back. Here’s a video demo:

Also, while BJJ is known for the guard, most good BJJ guys know how to take top control, too. The way it’s taught, a BJJ would throw a kick to try to close the distance on you. He’d clinch. Then he’d take you down, putting you on your back.

In comp, guys will pull guard. But that’s because it’s usually easier since the other guy has good takedown defense.

Don’t get me wrong, I am on your side - which seems to be that we should objectively analyze claims. And there are myths about BJJ, too.

The BJJ guys who say they could beat up Mike Tyson piss me off just as much as the TMA guys who claim to have mythical powers of self-defense.

Delusion and superstition are always bad.

That said, there is much more to BJJ that meets the eyes. And many obvious weaknesses are not weaknesses.

BJJ was created as a fighting style. Gracies would fight. Helio Gracie himself almost went to prison for fighting in the street. So guys would expose a hole in the game, and then they’d come up with a counter.

In fact, one reason I love BJJ so much is that you can do most anything. In Judo rules, it’s actually a “defense” to roll flat onto your belly. The rear naked choke is not allowed in judo, so it’s hard to get a choke on you from that position. Yet being on your belly is the most vulnerable position.

In BJJ, none of that shit is tolerated. If there’s a vulnerability, a guy will take it.

People like Sifu want to pretend that I and other BJJ guys just saw UFC on TV and went to the nearest BJJ academy. That makes them feel comfortable. Knowing that I have decades in various martial arts (including TMA), boxing, thai boxing, etc, and that I realized the superiority of BJJ for myself is just too much for them to accept.

nice mention of dan gable, the best
wrestler to ever grace the mat. in his olympic run back in the 70’s he gave up only 2 points to the gold

why not learn both styles? muay thai and BJJ? maximize the strengths and minimize the weaknesses? thats what i think alot of self proclaimed “mma” practioners forget. the “mixed martial arts” part. mma is not a style, its a mix to dominate your opponent. look at GSP or Anderson Silva. two of the best athletes in the UFC, both hold belts in BJJ and practice a striking art. both are champs.

now people go to the local gym, do some bullshit “mma” training where they punch a bag a bit and practice takedown defense, ie senslessly clinching but not moving to a hip toss or trip, because they are not proficient at the takedown.

then when a “mma” guy fights a BJJ guy he gets choked out because his bullshit takedown defense aint worth piss.
and when he fights a guy who knows some kyukushin or muay thai he gets knocked out with gloves and headgear.

but this is all in the “ring” or “gym” or whatever. real life defense i gotta say krav maga is probably your best bet.

o and btw i hear alot of crap about how good ninjitsu is, but alot of it looks like crap. any thoughts?

Huh, not really the direction I thought this thread would go when I read it a couple weeks ago.

[quote]Therizza wrote:
o and btw i hear alot of crap about how good ninjitsu is, but alot of it looks like crap. any thoughts?[/quote]

this is where you prob. have the widest range of charlatans to MArtists who are genuinely interested in exotic disciplines.
I could tell you the weirdest stories of a “ninja instructor” I met at a Comic Convention…twists my mind every time I think of him…

On the other hand, a real good non TMA instructor I knew was constantly praising a ninjutsu guy and some other guy I met who was versed in taijutsu was really an inspiring and clever fellow, totally noninterested in Bullshido.