It's Log!

[quote]veggiestrong wrote:
Popping in to check up on your oly greatness :slight_smile:

Yea, I don’t think that the wall squats have a lot of carry over for oly.

Love the jerk vid. Looking fine as always.[/quote]

Hey Veggie! =D Thanks for checking up on me :wink:

Sunday

snatches were kind of weak
bar
60x3
65x3
65x2 + a couple of hang
65x3
70x1
75x2
75x1
75x2
75x0

snatch balance
75x5

Jerks! - Koing gave me some great feedback on my jerks and I attempted to apply it tonight. A bit better I think, but still working on it. The vid is of the 105 lbs I think. Probably the best looking one.

I’m able to throw the bar down, but still not used to it lol.

foot drills
75x3
95x1
95x2
95x1
95x1
105xsuckage!
105xmuch better!
115x1
115x1
120xmeh…

back squats
140x5
155x5
155x5
165x3
165x3
185x2 Barely made the 185 so I called it quits. Squats at end of workout are tougher for sure.

nice jerk!

I like to do snatches first when i’m fresh because they are my favorite. i really need to suck it up and do squats first, though, since they are my nemesis. the rate my toes are going i’m gonna need to squat-jerk, too :-/

i find your wall squats really very interesting… i think we have similar levers (ratio between femur and tibia). i think… if i hadn’t injured my ankles… my squats (if i got good at them) would look a lot like your squats. your knees come forwards quite a lot to keep your upright torso balanced over your center of gravity.

wall squats aren’t good for your Oly Squats because they prevent your knees coming forwards and so you end up with… the problem i’ve been having with my Oly Squats!

if the knees can’t come forwards then where on earth are the knees supposed to go in order for the torso to remain upright? out would be good. but sumo puts a lot of pressure on the hips… i think i might have solved the problem - but will need to post vids and see what people say… my squats look freaky, basically. thanks for humoring my interest in them :slight_smile:

Damn, Deb…

I can’t get over how great your form is.

You’re a natural athlete.

Makes me feel like a bumbling fool~

great log, glad to hear about your training.

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
soooomeone got some new shoes. :)[/quote]

Jerks feel weird now though. They’re really grippy and heavier. I don’t feel quite as light on my feet.[/quote]
Congrats on the shoes (you will get used to them) and the platform!

It seemed to my eye that you were leaving the jerks out in front - the bar needs to end up behind your ears - think push your head through. You will be able to get away w/this with lower weights that your muscles can hold. However, when the weights get heavier you will need to have the bar behind your ears and over your shoulders so your skeletal system, not your muscles, supporting the weight.

Jim Schmitz writes about a good drill for this on “Schmitz on the Lifts” on the Iron Mind site. As well, Barry K from Ireland has a nice video of working Jim on this exact drill:

Check out 2:04 of the “Training in the Sports’ Palace” Day Two video for the
1 Military Press + 1 Push Press + 1 Power Jerk exercise. This shows a nice combination to improve positioning and bar awareness.

It may be the new shoes, but you might also look at these videos (Manuel posts both here and Pendlay’s site) for correct foot position on the jerk:

- YouTube and look for the jerk demo series.

Onward and upward…

x2 to what Edgy said.

Deb, you do everything to an exact posture science, makes me feel like an uncoordinated chick trying to leave the nest, but is too uncoordinated to fly so kinda just jumps to her death from the high tree…
heh heh

Awesome training, doing the usual 185x2 after all that is definetely a good thing.

Hey Alexus thanks!

I was moving the squats around just for experimentation but I’m going to leave them at the end (Koing recommended also) to leave my emphasis on my lifts. I like to do the snatches while I’m fresh but the squat warm up is nice.

The wall squats were a fun exercise and I think I learned a fair bit about proper form trying them especially thinking about why they weren’t working. I’ll be happy to participate in any other experiments you can come up with :slight_smile:

Hi Edgy! Thanks a lot! You too Nikki :)))) You guys are too kind blush

[quote]NewWorldMan wrote:

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
soooomeone got some new shoes. :)[/quote]

Jerks feel weird now though. They’re really grippy and heavier. I don’t feel quite as light on my feet.[/quote]
Congrats on the shoes (you will get used to them) and the platform!

It seemed to my eye that you were leaving the jerks out in front - the bar needs to end up behind your ears - think push your head through. You will be able to get away w/this with lower weights that your muscles can hold. However, when the weights get heavier you will need to have the bar behind your ears and over your shoulders so your skeletal system, not your muscles, supporting the weight.

Jim Schmitz writes about a good drill for this on “Schmitz on the Lifts” on the Iron Mind site. As well, Barry K from Ireland has a nice video of working Jim on this exact drill:

Check out 2:04 of the “Training in the Sports’ Palace” Day Two video for the
1 Military Press + 1 Push Press + 1 Power Jerk exercise. This shows a nice combination to improve positioning and bar awareness.

It may be the new shoes, but you might also look at these videos (Manuel posts both here and Pendlay’s site) for correct foot position on the jerk:

- YouTube and look for the jerk demo series.

Onward and upward…[/quote]

That’s awesome feedback NewWorldMan. I’ll be sure to check out those links and videos. I have a lot of work to do on the jerk so I need all the help I can get. The foot position is tricky. I can do it much better as a foot drill (of course.)

Your help is GREATLY appreciated :slight_smile:

Oly lifts look complicated :S

Do snatches hurt your shoulders? They look like they’d hurt your shoulders lol.

I so want to learn snatches after watching you! You make them into works of art! So graceful!

Love the drawings! He’s really artistic!

[quote]Grneyes wrote:
I so want to learn snatches after watching you! You make them into works of art! [/quote]
don’t do it. you’ll regret it. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]Grneyes wrote:
I so want to learn snatches after watching you! You make them into works of art! [/quote]
don’t do it. you’ll regret it. :P[/quote]

This young man is so correct - enter in if you are willing to to become addicted. You will catch the bug if you start - I know I did!

And you are so correct about an well executed snatch being akin to a work of art - there is something indescribable about taking a bar from floor to overhead in one powerful and quick exertion of human ability! Similarly, a successful jerk after recovering a clean is a triumphal mastery of both the human body and will working together to vanquish gravity’s claim on our existence.

At the risk of going too long in Debra’s journal - I just love the fact that you can’t FAKE a successful snatch or jerk - it either ends over your head with arms extended or not. No arguing about depth on a squat or whether you touched/paused on your chest in the bench. Lift it or go home (talkin’ about all those quater-squattin’, two man half-benching, pencil-neck high school phonies!)

/end rant!

[quote]trav123456 wrote:
Oly lifts look complicated :S

Do snatches hurt your shoulders? They look like they’d hurt your shoulders lol.[/quote]

Not really. It can if you miss though!

[quote]NewWorldMan wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]Grneyes wrote:
don’t do it. you’ll regret it. :P[/quote]

This young man is so correct - enter in if you are willing to to become addicted. You will catch the bug if you start - I know I did!

And you are so correct about an well executed snatch being akin to a work of art - there is something indescribable about taking a bar from floor to overhead in one powerful and quick exertion of human ability! Similarly, a successful jerk after recovering a clean is a triumphal mastery of both the human body and will working together to vanquish gravity’s claim on our existence.

At the risk of going too long in Debra’s journal - I just love the fact that you can’t FAKE a successful snatch or jerk - it either ends over your head with arms extended or not. No arguing about depth on a squat or whether you touched/paused on your chest in the bench. Lift it or go home (talkin’ about all those quater-squattin’, two man half-benching, pencil-neck high school phonies!)

/end rant![/quote]

haha! I was going to say no way, they’re awesome, but that’s not all true…they’re frustrating as hell lol. But then it feels really good when it goes right!

Anyhow, I haven’t had this much fun training since when I first started and the fat was melting off.

yeah, so much fun. also so much frustration. i think the frustration only contributes towards the triumph when you do manage to pull it off, though. and when it just feels effortless… it’s about the best feeling in the world, i reckon.

i like this newworldguy. rather, newworldman.

i love you log so much already! its full of great stuff!
great squatting too lady! I do mine end of workout too, but for me its kinda helpful that way:)

all i have to say is more compliments and pointing out various things about stuff i like about you…so i can encapsulate it in that last sentence:0 OH! and keep it up ! vids forever!

I’m in awe of your squat numbers and form! Truly inspiring. There’s not too many guys that can squat that weight that deep.

Nice work Deb! You make those lifts look so easy!!

Wow. Serious talent.

Yesterday was a rest day and this morning I did a bunch of rounds of cindy (crossfit 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 air squats) but I’ll do a proper session tonight.

[quote]brute_fury wrote:
i love you log so much already! its full of great stuff!
great squatting too lady! I do mine end of workout too, but for me its kinda helpful that way:)

all i have to say is more compliments and pointing out various things about stuff i like about you…so i can encapsulate it in that last sentence:0 OH! and keep it up ! vids forever![/quote]

Thank you Brute!!! <3 You guys are great!

DiscoDani, thanks! I didn’t think it was that special lol. I’ve been bummed that I haven’t been hitting 200 full depth but maybe I should take my depth and stance into consideration.

Coyotegal, thanks to you too :slight_smile:

Kpsnap, blush that means a lot to hear that.

You guys are too sweet <3!