It's a Dog's life

[quote]skidmark wrote:
Man - ya got 7 chins. You’re about 7 chins ahead of 99% of the people in the U.S.

Unless you’re doing EDT, I would stop front loading the chins and try to go straight sets. Add one rep across as you get stronger and do fewer sets to make your target rep total. You’ll feel more successful.

I think this is important: make yourself feel successful. It breeds more success. Failure breeds failure. If a session stunk, try to find the thing that you learned from it. It’s the only way to stay in the game for years. Something positive always happens during training.

Good effort on the DB bench and shoulder presses. Good plan to stay at that weight on DLs until the weight gets easier. Looks like your hands might be getting stronger too.[/quote]

OK maybe it didn’t stink - but it wasn’t as good as Tuesday. Good suggestion on the straight sets, thanks. I’ll probably try 5x6 for 30 or 4x7 for 28 next time. I was just focused on doing 3x10 and having trying to get 10 on that first set.

Going to the dead lift grip with alternating hands helped out holding on to the bar longer. I’m not so sure I’m seeing any progress on the plate pinch yet as the length of that first hold isn’t going up yet.

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
Workout looks awesome. Your shoulder any better?
May 15 and you’re still shoveling snow? I thought we had it bad here.[/quote]

We’ve probably had close to 2 feet of snow in the last 4 days but this time of year it melts almost as soon as the sun comes back out the next day. Living at 9700 feet elevation has its drawbacks at times. Down in Denver where I work had basically just rain out of these two storms.

I’ve been taking Aleve as an anti-inflammatory and it might be helping some. I have also upped the fish oil to 18 grams a day from 6. The lifts that I do have been selected to avoid causing shoulder pain for the most part and that has been working out well. I see the PT next Wednesday and I hope she has some good rehab suggestions.

Soldog, I don’t know too many people who would have done any workout at all – much less DLs – after shovelling wet snow for almost an hour – and at that elevation. My hat is off to you!

[quote]1Geech wrote:
Soldog, I don’t know too many people who would have done any workout at all – much less DLs – after shovelling wet snow for almost an hour – and at that elevation. My hat is off to you![/quote]

Thanks!
The shoveling was more like pushing and then lift and throw but it was still heavy. I guess it is all in what you are used to doing.

[quote]soldog wrote:
skidmark wrote:
Man - ya got 7 chins. You’re about 7 chins ahead of 99% of the people in the U.S.

Unless you’re doing EDT, I would stop front loading the chins and try to go straight sets. Add one rep across as you get stronger and do fewer sets to make your target rep total. You’ll feel more successful.

I think this is important: make yourself feel successful. It breeds more success. Failure breeds failure. If a session stunk, try to find the thing that you learned from it. It’s the only way to stay in the game for years. Something positive always happens during training.

Good effort on the DB bench and shoulder presses. Good plan to stay at that weight on DLs until the weight gets easier. Looks like your hands might be getting stronger too.

OK maybe it didn’t stink - but it wasn’t as good as Tuesday. Good suggestion on the straight sets, thanks. I’ll probably try 5x6 for 30 or 4x7 for 28 next time. I was just focused on doing 3x10 and having trying to get 10 on that first set.

Going to the dead lift grip with alternating hands helped out holding on to the bar longer. I’m not so sure I’m seeing any progress on the plate pinch yet as the length of that first hold isn’t going up yet.
[/quote]

I found that is I work a peak strength day and an rep day with pinch grip, they both sort of feed into each other. The peak day improves rep day and the rep day solidifies gains made on peak days.

Also - I’ve never seen a need for long pinch grip holds. Long holds seem to suit supporting grip better. I work pinch grip because my thumb is what keeps my fingers locked on the bar when I do clean grip or snatch grip deads. When I do hangs on a non-rotating bar, I don’t use thumb at all.

I wrestle with the bad workout days. I used to immediately stop my workout if my first set wasn’t good enough. But now I’m trying to drop the weight or completely change the exercises if I’m having a bad workout…as long as I do something.

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
I wrestle with the bad workout days. I used to immediately stop my workout if my first set wasn’t good enough. But now I’m trying to drop the weight or completely change the exercises if I’m having a bad workout…as long as I do something.[/quote]

Exactly. Miss a max? Do a rep PR at a lower weight. Can’t get the last rep on a set? Do an extra set and have a set PR at that weight. They all feed into improvement - the next session will probably be better for it and so there is no failure. You succeed differently.

GPP day - shoveled the rest of the driveway. It took about an hour and got me sweating.

RE: Skidmark and Ecogenx - I guess that’s one way to look at what I was calling penalty sets. Got my total reps plus some.

May 17, 2008

So after last weekend’s excess carb consumption, my weight jumped up a bit and I knew I needed to get back on track; which meant cutting back from 3000 to 3500 kcals a day I did May 8 thru May 11 down to 2000 to 2500 kcals May 12 thru May 16. This was mainly accomplished but keeping the carbs less than 100 grams and cutting out the beer (my main down fall). My body responded by dropping from 187.6 on May 13 to 181.6 this morning. It also made me pay today during my ride…

It sucks doing endurance and high intensity cardio type riding in a calorie deficit. I must engrave this on my forehead if I’m going to try and ride those races this summer.

17 May 2008

Almost the same ride as last Saturday but I turned left at the top and came down a different trail. Elevation gain was slightly greater. I needed to stop and recover numerous times on the way up. Probably twice as much as last week. I’m pretty sure this is due the restricted calories this week.

Man, I’d die at 6700 feet, much less 8000!! Thats a heckuva feat in my eyes. But i get breathless at 22’ above sea level!

[quote]j_willy3 wrote:
Man, I’d die at 6700 feet, much less 8000!! Thats a heckuva feat in my eyes. But i get breathless at 22’ above sea level![/quote]

It’s all in how you are acclimated. 19 years ago when I was a young pup and we moved out here, I probably couldn’t do what I’m doing now. At least not for a few months…

I decided to try a different location to ride today. In the 19 years we’ve been in the area I’ve never visited this park. It is a nice park with lots of trails but I think I need to go earlier than 10am to avoid the crowds.

This was intended to be an active recovery ride but it turned out to be a little more active than recovery. About 90 minutes including rest stops.

wow… good work brother! I just bought a mountain bike… to help me get back into the cardio mode.

I won’t be doing anything as crazy as you though! Especially with my training wheels on… lol!

Typically how many are riding the trail? That looks as if it was an engaging ride!

Today I probably saw a couple of dozen riders and the same number of hikers. The problem is that these trails are single track. Which means if you are going downhill you must stop and yield to the uphill rider and a bike always yields to hikers. I didn’t encounter many on the way up but had to stop many times on the way down. This park is right outside Evergreen and so sees a lot of traffic.

[quote]bunny7568 wrote:
wow… good work brother! I just bought a mountain bike… to help me get back into the cardio mode.

I won’t be doing anything as crazy as you though! Especially with my training wheels on… lol![/quote]

Thanks Bro!

I find biking to be the most interesting cardio around. I can run and do the treadmill on occasion but biking outdoors in the mountains is what keeps me going. Do some road rides first (dirt roads if possible) to get a feel for it. You’ll have no problems at all.

Soldog, You have got my not so active synapses working a little over time here in coastal NC. I think I may go buy a kayak for the same basic reason. You have the mountains, I have the wide lazy rivers and sound.

No white water here, unless its a wind shift or a thunderstorm. But lots of expanse to paddle. Especially since the “trail” begins in my back yard!

Thanks for the perspective my friend. I may be slow but I am getting smaller!

[quote]j_willy3 wrote:
Soldog, You have got my not so active synapses working a little over time here in coastal NC. I think I may go buy a kayak for the same basic reason. You have the mountains, I have the wide lazy rivers and sound.

No white water here, unless its a wind shift or a thunderstorm. But lots of expanse to paddle. Especially since the “trail” begins in my back yard!

Thanks for the perspective my friend. I may be slow but I am getting smaller![/quote]

Had I large bodies of water in my area, I believe that kayaking would be high on my list.