Is Foam Rolling Useful?

Its a pretty useful thing to do when warming up imo, i always feel a lot looser after doing it.

[quote]TheGift wrote:
Its a pretty useful thing to do when warming up imo, i always feel a lot looser after doing it.[/quote]

same here

What is hands down the best Roller? I’m about to put an order in.

I have one of these in a half roller size: http://www.performbetter.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product2_10151_10751_1004918_-1_1000486_1000486_1000486_ProductDisplayErrorView

They are firm and definitely last a long time.

personally its the only thing that will release the IT band. for me…

[quote]whitfit wrote:
What is hands down the best Roller? I’m about to put an order in.
[/quote]

check the link I posted above. I’ve used several different ones over the years, and that’s the one I prefer.

If you buy just a regular foam one you will quickly progress past it being beneficial. At the very least get one with a PVC core. I like the one I have because it’s just a thin layer of foam but PVC center, it fits in my bookbag and the balls are there for certain areas a roller just won’t do much for (think rotator cuff). Also you will likely progress past even a PVC providing much benefit for some areas.

I can roll my glutes/piriformis on PVC and feel nothing, the balls really dig in there

Since using it I’m never sore anymore so I think its pretty damn awesome.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
…the balls really dig in there[/quote]

-_^

[quote]Consul wrote:
I have one of these in a half roller size: http://www.performbetter.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product2_10151_10751_1004918_-1_1000486_1000486_1000486_ProductDisplayErrorView

They are firm and definitely last a long time.[/quote]

That’s a decent one to start with but as you get used to them you can get a more intense foam roller. This is the one I just ordered to take it up a notch.

Is there any good ‘how to’ or ‘buying guide’ for foam rollers? I don’t use one, but based on the recommendations around here, it seems I should. (I have used lacrosse balls successfully for things like my elbows.)

I looked at Walmart and Meijer and Dick’s, and I see several options, and the prices are all over the place. Will I regret getting a half-sized one? Are the cheap ones too cheap? Are the more-expensive ones overpriced?

About the only thing I can tell is that some are smooth, some aren’t, and some are more expensive. I have no idea what those differences really mean.

Home Depot PVC cut to length. Cheap and to the point. You might cry though:-)

[quote]SMF wrote:
Home Depot PVC cut to length. Cheap and to the point. You might cry though:-)[/quote]

What diameter? I make it to Home Depot every few days for something or other anyway.

5 inch works for me. Try it in the store.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

It ain’t rocket science.[/quote]

I have seen no benefit from doing it, it seems pointless and gimmicky.

But I doubt it is as it is popular with people who actually know what they are doing.[/quote]

Damn, and here I thought John Meadows knew what he was talking about. [/quote]

Remember to put a bag on your head when sending those modelling pics bud.[/quote]

lol, let’s see a pic of what you look like right after you roll out of bed, bud.

How about addressing my point though and not being a child? JM endorses using rumble roller after each training session. What’s up with that?

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

But I doubt it is as it is popular with people who actually know what they are doing.[/quote]

Remember to put a bag on your head when sending those modelling pics bud.[/quote]

lol, let’s see a pic of what you look like right after you roll out of bed, bud.

How about addressing my point though and not being a child? JM endorses using rumble roller after each training session. What’s up with that? [/quote]

I don’t know what you are talking about.

I clearly said i doubt it is pointless, as it is popular with people who know what they’re talking about, e.g. JM etc.

My point was that I personally must be doing it wrong, as I haven’t seen much benefit, which is why i asked for vids.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

How about addressing my point though and not being a child? JM endorses using rumble roller after each training session. What’s up with that? [/quote]

I clearly said i doubt it is pointless, as it is popular with people who know what they’re talking about, e.g. JM etc.

My point was that I personally must be doing it wrong, as I haven’t seen much benefit, which is why i asked for vids.[/quote]

lol, I read your original statement as “I doubt it is popular with people who know what they’re talking about.”

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

My point was that I personally must be doing it wrong, as I haven’t seen much benefit, which is why i asked for vids.[/quote]

lol, I read your original statement as “I doubt it is popular with people who know what they’re talking about.” [/quote]

I read it the same way. That’s why punctuation is always helpful…

[quote]LoRez wrote:
I read it the same way. That’s why punctuation is always helpful…[/quote]

So is the ability to read.

lol just kidding, apologies for the confusion.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:
I read it the same way. That’s why punctuation is always helpful…[/quote]

So is the ability to read.

lol just kidding, apologies for the confusion.[/quote]

but hey man, you didn’t have to call me ugly =( I know how to shave and doll myself up.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:
Any links to good videos or instructions?

Don’t feel like I am doing it right, and difficult to differentiate between many videos.[/quote]

It saved my knees man… I can now squat 5 plates nearly pain free again.