T Nation

Is Foam Rolling Useful?

Does foam rolling do anything useful for a lifter? I value a good warm-up (targeted stretches, mobility drills and activation exercises) very highly and we are often advised to foam roll just before this warm-up. But I feel like the foam rolling doesn’t have any effect. What do you think? Does foam rolling help you or do you think that it’s a waste of time?

I usually foam roll before I stretch and do mobility drills. It helps loosen me up. It also really helps me recover and get tension out of my back.

it won’t have any effect if: 1) you have no scar tissue to get rid of / using it on the wrong spot of your body, and 2) you aren’t using a hard enough foam roller (the cheapo ones don’t do shit for me but that all changes with a more expensive foam roller) or specific enough of a device (i.e. lax ball)

let me tell you the more and more you lift, the stronger you get, and the older / more beat-up you get… doing some SMR pre-workout (or at least a few times a week on tender spots) becomes a necessity for injury prevention and just feeling looser during warm-ups/lifting

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
let me tell you the more and more you lift, the stronger you get, and the older / more beat-up you get… doing some SMR pre-workout (or at least a few times a week on tender spots) becomes a necessity for injury prevention and just feeling looser during warm-ups/lifting[/quote]

This x1000.

Black rumble roller ftw!

[quote]kingbeef323 wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
let me tell you the more and more you lift, the stronger you get, and the older / more beat-up you get… doing some SMR pre-workout (or at least a few times a week on tender spots) becomes a necessity for injury prevention and just feeling looser during warm-ups/lifting[/quote]

This x1000.

Black rumble roller ftw![/quote]
I got The Grid. it’s great. combination of PVC and gridded(?)-foam

Travel Roller here, comes with hard and soft balls… yaah, that’s right I put hard balls on my glutes/piriformis

here ya go
http://www.fitter1.com/Catalog/Items/FROLTR.aspx

Any links to good videos or instructions?

Don’t feel like I am doing it right, and difficult to differentiate between many videos.

It ain’t rocket science. Put pressure on the muscle, more or less depending upon the level of discomfort.

If you find a tender spot stay on it for 20 secs or so if you can. I also like to roll back and forth over the spot.

Think of foam rolling like a poor man’s massage.

Regular massage is also a good idea btw- I see my guy 1-2 x week, really helps recovery and now that I spend more time at a desk it’s great.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
It ain’t rocket science.[/quote]

I have seen no benefit from doing it, it seems pointless and gimmicky.

But I doubt it is as it is popular with people who actually know what they are doing.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:
Any links to good videos or instructions?

Don’t feel like I am doing it right, and difficult to differentiate between many videos.[/quote]

DeFranco’s agile 8 and simple 6 videos

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
It ain’t rocket science.[/quote]

I have seen no benefit from doing it, it seems pointless and gimmicky.

But I doubt it is as it is popular with people who actually know what they are doing.[/quote]

Damn, and here I thought John Meadows knew what he was talking about.

[quote]kingbeef323 wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
let me tell you the more and more you lift, the stronger you get, and the older / more beat-up you get… doing some SMR pre-workout (or at least a few times a week on tender spots) becomes a necessity for injury prevention and just feeling looser during warm-ups/lifting[/quote]

This x1000.

Black rumble roller ftw![/quote]

Hell yeah! I take that thing with me EVERYWHERE

I love foam rolling. Rubs out any unwanted scar tissue, and warms the muscle up prior to stretching it. It’s just like anything else in the weightlifting world, some people find it useful, some people don’t.

It might help if you focus on relaxing, close your eyes, do some deep breathing to let the tensions out when you identify a triger point or some tender/painfull area. It helps me with a shoulder and upper back. You might be lucky and have few benefits if you are free from problem area at the moment.

To be fair, when I first tried it back in '05 I thought it was gimmicky too and I didn’t feel shit. It wasn’t till I was on my feet all day a year later and perhaps knowing how to do it properly that it became a lifesaver.

[quote]kingbeef323 wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
let me tell you the more and more you lift, the stronger you get, and the older / more beat-up you get… doing some SMR pre-workout (or at least a few times a week on tender spots) becomes a necessity for injury prevention and just feeling looser during warm-ups/lifting[/quote]

This x1000.

Black rumble roller ftw![/quote]

The statement above on pre workout SMR should be framed!!! Foam rolling is HUGE for injury prevention

I’ve used it, and to be honest, if it weren’t backed by so many big name people that I respect in the industry (who have nothing to gain financially from it), I probably wouldn’t have continued doing it. It’s really hard to go against all the people who support it, though. They’ve seen it at work way more than me. I got it when I was young, though, so I was expecting miracles.

i have severe back pain that no doctor or massage could solve. fucking 5 dollar foam rollar helped me to get rid of all trigger-point(is that the right word, little muscle discomfort, like you have air between your muscles). these knots were so bad that, i couldnt sleep or work, literally i was unhappy all the time feeling a discomfort/pain 24/7.

2 mins on foam rollar at the end of the day(cuz these points start to ache again after a long day), then i am a new person. it is very good for upper back/thoracic extension, when i do foam roll my upper back all my bones crack, and i feel a comfort, like my bones find their real places.(i have discomfort through out all my spine because of kyphosis/lordosis, after foam rolling i feel like a 30 min massage session)

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
It ain’t rocket science.[/quote]

I have seen no benefit from doing it, it seems pointless and gimmicky.

But I doubt it is as it is popular with people who actually know what they are doing.[/quote]

Damn, and here I thought John Meadows knew what he was talking about. [/quote]

Remember to put a bag on your head when sending those modelling pics bud.