Is 1/2 a Kilo of Tuna a Day Bad?

Basically, I’ve heard that tuna (in large) quantities can cause mercury poisoning. Is this true. Would two baked bean sized tins of tuna a day be bad for you. Is there any other form of CHEAP protein (chicken breat is very expensive for the amount of protein it gives). Any alternatives??

How much, if any, do other t-men eat per day.

I read a article about this a while ago:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=753983

Atleast that will help with the tuna question :slight_smile:

Apart from canned fish, frozen red meat is pretty cheap, if you go to Sainsbury’s or Tesco. Most other forms of protein are expensive in the UK, I would say.

The benefit you get from tuna outweighs the risk. That is a lot though. Canned Salmon is better if you can get it on sale. If you like the taste, liver is quite inexpensive. A lot depends on your local market.

[quote]2lb Monkey wrote:
Basically, I’ve heard that tuna (in large) quantities can cause mercury poisoning. Is this true. Would two baked bean sized tins of tuna a day be bad for you. Is there any other form of CHEAP protein (chicken breat is very expensive for the amount of protein it gives). Any alternatives??

How much, if any, do other t-men eat per day.[/quote]

for the cheap protein question, you can order in some kangaroo meat. its pretty cheap and high in protein. i use this website, they’ve been around for a couple years at least so i trust them!

you can also get other meat like ostrich.

Liver is real cheap in the Uk.

Monkey - pick up a Costco card if you can and buy their big tins of Tuna and packs of meat & chicken. The prices are good when you buy in bulk and the quality is good enough.

Also look around your area for local farms that sell direct. I get grass fed organic beef and lamb direct from the farm where it’s reared and it’s cheaper than anywhere else in the area too. It doesn’t get any healthier or tastier than that.

Thanks guys, I’ll look into these…

Some cattle ranchers will sell you an entire cow, they kill it and you take it to a butcher (sometimes they even butcher it for you)… you can take the whole thing home and shove it in your deep freeze and you’ll have beef for a year.

It is the cheapest way to buy beef, it can be less than a dollar a pound.