If You're a Black American...

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]Karado wrote:
“Do, or do not…there is no ‘try’.”

Yoda, from “The Empire Strikes Back”, starring Billy Dee Williams, a must
cast token Black Guy because there wasn’t even ONE Black guy whatsoever in “Star Wars”![/quote]
EXKYOOOOZ ME!! Aren’t we forgetting somebody? Hmmmm?[/quote]

LOL

[quote]H factor wrote:
A crime is a crime is a crime. Yes people are targeted because of race, sexual orientation, or perhaps being an old lady who seems like an easy purse to snatch. Beating someone’s ass is beating someone’s ass, theft is theft, murder is murder. We don’t need distinctions for these things based on anything to do with a person unless we’re talking about special circumstances. [/quote]

This is the truth, also important to remember that not all crimes are the same, not all crimes are reported. It’s easy to point the finger at a guy stealing a loaf of bread, while you embezzle just enough money from your workplace to slide under the radar (hypothetical, not aimed at anyone in particular, more saying none of us are angels in the big picture).

I think instead of looking at this from the outsider perspective, it seems better to really consider what dire situations must be in place for us to do similar things, or even remembering what we were like in our past, and what the drives/motivations may have been to commit crimes. It’s important to make an effort to avoid taking a position of indifference. At the end of the day we are all very similar. H Factor got this right.

“EXKYOOOOZ ME!! Aren’t we forgetting somebody? Hmmmm?”

Nope.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
You have a 5% lifetime probability of being murdered.

Un-fucking-real.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Global_Economy/NC20Dj02.html

0.7% if you’re white[/quote]

Blacks have in many ways become the greatest direct persecutors of blacks. Of course circumstance has its origin in history, and American history has been, to put it very mildly, unkind to the black race.

But the most dangerous thing a black man can meet in a dark inner-city alley is, sadly, another black man. Eventually, somebody on the inside of the community is going to have to get as angry about that as about the legacy and vestiges of white racism.[/quote]

Yes, someone inside the black community is going to have to change this. Someone with authority, someone with real power. Hey wait…Obama is black…and we can’t count on him to do a damn thing about the problem. But he will sure keep the money flowing for the welfare queens of every color.

[/quote]

Obama cant take on Black issues. People would go crazy.

How many of these murders have a white person involved in some way though?

Thinking of all the big time drug dealers ive met some were white. They never touched the drugs but had black kids run for them.

Those black kids would kill each other in business related incidents…

Some black on black crime isnt asvanilla as people want it to be

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

Un-fucking-real.

Blacks have in many ways become the greatest direct persecutors of blacks. Of course circumstance has its origin in history, and American history has been, to put it very mildly, unkind to the black race.

But the most dangerous thing a black man can meet in a dark inner-city alley is, sadly, another black man. Eventually, somebody on the inside of the community is going to have to get as angry about that as about the legacy and vestiges of white racism.[/quote]

Yes, someone inside the black community is going to have to change this. Someone with authority, someone with real power. Hey wait…Obama is black…and we can’t count on him to do a damn thing about the problem. But he will sure keep the money flowing for the welfare queens of every color.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wrong.

People would go crazy if he defended the current lifestyle which is causing the many premature deaths of black people. But in no way would they be upset if he did a Bill Cosby and criticized the black community.

But that would take courage and he is a coward.

[quote]Karado wrote:
“Do, or do not…there is no ‘try’.”

Yoda, from “The Empire Strikes Back”, starring Billy Dee Williams, a must
cast token Black Guy because there wasn’t even ONE Black guy whatsoever in “Star Wars”!

[/quote]

Say wha? Just ‘cuz he don’ talk ghetto don’ mean dat bitch ain’ made of bling.

C3PO is about as pimped out as a droid could be, yo.

I’ve covered this before in debates about gun use in the US. There are a handful of urban areas with high concentrations of poor blacks, where the drug war is being violently played out, that generate the vast majority of the violent crime statistics. Once you get outside of those areas the crime rate improves dramatically.

But proponents of various government policies (ie gun control) constantly average the handful of really bad areas with the vast majority of really good areas and use the resulting number to try and convince us that we have an epidemic of violent crime all across the country.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:

[/quote]

The reason Obama can’t “take on black issues” is because he is a piss poor leader when it comes to actually leading. He can talk a good game, and get people all riled up, but he can’t actually lead anyone.

He is trained, and very good at, getting a reaction. He isn’t very good at creating action. He isn’t very good at leading people to the ends. He is only able to create the means.

As for the other aspect of your post, nothing could be further from the truth. The notion anyone would be upset if our government addressed the problems faced (and some would say created by our government) in the3se communitiees is idiotic. PArticularly if the government thought outside the box and did something other than pass more laws and create a police state.

Whole thread is bogus. Violent crime/murder/whatever is like 70 some percent more frequent in urban areas than rural ones. Rural areas are like 90% white. It has to do with where you live, not what color your skin is. This is like one of the most obvious correlation =/= causation examples I can think of.

I can’t believe this wasn’t like everyone’s response…

[quote]atypical1 wrote:
It really comes down to where you live though. If you’re a black man or woman in my neighborhood then your chances of being murdered are no different than mine. But if you live in South Central then you’re chances are probably higher than 5%.

james[/quote]

Here. This guy and Sifu thought of it at least.

It isn’t a “black issue” it’s an urban issue.

[quote]csulli wrote:
Whole thread is bogus. Violent crime/murder/whatever is like 70 some percent more frequent in urban areas than rural ones. Rural areas are like 90% white. It has to do with where you live, not what color your skin is. This is like one of the most obvious correlation =/= causation examples I can think of.

I can’t believe this wasn’t like everyone’s response…[/quote]

(…FINALLY…!!!)

Mufasa

[quote]csulli wrote:

I can’t believe this wasn’t like everyone’s response…[/quote]

Of course it’s where you live–your neighborhood, its median income, the ratio of nuclear to single-mother homes, the dropout rate of your high school, even the ratio of fast food joints to fresh food grocers is a reasonably good predictor of drug use and dropout rates.

But, here’s the thing: it’s black people that live in these neighborhoods. And if you were to follow the causal chain of their lives back far enough, you’d find that they live where they live because of the color of their skin. It’s not an entirely colorless issue, in other words.

[quote]smh23 wrote:
But, here’s the thing: it’s black people that live in these neighborhoods. And if you were to follow the causal chain of their lives back far enough, you’d find that they live where they live because of the color of their skin. It’s not an entirely colorless issue, in other words.[/quote]

I still think it is colorless. Being black does not cause you to murder or be murdered, nor does it cause you to live in an urban or rural area. It is a useless variable for the issue at hand.

You can talk about rural vs inner city all you want.

Me posting this stat is to illustrate the type of conditions the average African American lives in. This thread is only bogus if you don’t understand that

[quote]therajraj wrote:
You can talk about rural vs inner city all you want.

Me posting this stat is to illustrate the type of conditions the average person in the inner city lives in. This thread is only bogus if you don’t understand that [/quote]

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]smh23 wrote:
But, here’s the thing: it’s black people that live in these neighborhoods. And if you were to follow the causal chain of their lives back far enough, you’d find that they live where they live because of the color of their skin. It’s not an entirely colorless issue, in other words.[/quote]

I still think it is colorless. Being black does not cause you to murder or be murdered, nor does it cause you to live in an urban or rural area. [/quote]

I would never state or imply that it did. In fact, I argued that very point with Conservativedog for days on these boards.

That said, a black man’s blackness is very likely to have had great influence on the circumstances of his birth.

[quote]Karado wrote:
“EXKYOOOOZ ME!! Aren’t we forgetting somebody? Hmmmm?”

Nope.

[/quote]How did Micheal Jackson get himself into that Star Wars pic?

“How did Micheal Jackson get himself into that Star Wars pic?”

Not even close, I always thought the umasked Anakin Skywalker kinda resembled
Mr. Freeze from the BATMAN series.

http://www.biography.com/imported/images/Biography/Images/Galleries/Batman%20Villains/batman-villain-preminger-sized.jpg

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]squating_bear wrote:

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

Un-fucking-real.

Nah

[/quote]

Nah what?[/quote]
Aright - maybe you got me

I highlighted that last sentence of yours because it seemed to be implying that there is a need for a leader to emerge and fix it all

I was saying that the bigger problem is that there’s not much to lead - there is no “center” of the community

But I guess that doesn’t directly disprove that that would eventually need to happen - so you got me there