T Nation

How to Order Sheiko Programs

Hey guys. What are some Sheiko program orderings that have given you the best results? I’m about to finish a run through of 37 and I want to do another prep cycle before I peak with 32. Should I go with 39, 40, 30, 31 or another run of 37?

When I used Sheiko templates, I orginally went 29-37-32, but the peaking phase really isn’t necessary if you’re not going into a competition. If you need the deload that 32 provides, just build a deload week in between cycles where you feel its necessary. After making my decision regarding that, I typically went 29-37-30 and that worked pretty well.

Sheiko 8 week competition cycle is far superior than running 32-29ect. Those numbers are all specific templates written for lifters needing to progress in a certain lift. For ex: 29 was structured for one of his lifters struggling in the deadlift.

[quote]Achilles of war wrote:
Sheiko 8 week competition cycle is far superior than running 32-29ect. Those numbers are all specific templates written for lifters needing to progress in a certain lift. For ex: 29 was structured for one of his lifters struggling in the deadlift. [/quote]
Hey man this is the second time I’ve seen you say this. I’m having difficulty locating this 8 week cycle though. Is it like a couple of the CMS prep cycles strung together or somethin? Do you have any links maybe?

I haven’t run an 8-week, but I have run a 9- and a 13-week competition cycle. They were better than just tacking 32 onto the end of other assorted cycles, I’d agree, but they still had the same problem (for me): they taper dramatically towards the end, and if you’re just using them for training and not specifically for meet preparation, it amounts to a lot of time that could’ve been spent on higher volume cycles.

Never seen an 8 weeker.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Achilles of war wrote:
Sheiko 8 week competition cycle is far superior than running 32-29ect. Those numbers are all specific templates written for lifters needing to progress in a certain lift. For ex: 29 was structured for one of his lifters struggling in the deadlift. [/quote]
Hey man this is the second time I’ve seen you say this. I’m having difficulty locating this 8 week cycle though. Is it like a couple of the CMS prep cycles strung together or somethin? Do you have any links maybe?[/quote]

Same…Link please

I’d also be interested in an 8 week program.

[quote]TB284 wrote:
When I used Sheiko templates, I orginally went 29-37-32, but the peaking phase really isn’t necessary if you’re not going into a competition. If you need the deload that 32 provides, just build a deload week in between cycles where you feel its necessary. After making my decision regarding that, I typically went 29-37-30 and that worked pretty well.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I decided to start with 37 instead of 29 here. The last time I did 29 I found the squatting and benching too easy, but the deadlifting very difficult. I moved on to 37 after it but had to stop due to injury. This time I went straight to 37 and I’ve been handling it all (including deadlifts) well. So I guess I’ll run 30 next. It looks nice, with lots of double squatting. Should I adjust (increase my maxes for 30) or keep them the same?

If you qualify for CMS or MS this 9 weeker is good

http://www.elitefts.com/sheiko/Sheikotrcomp.htm

[quote]deadman1206 wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I decided to start with 37 instead of 29 here. The last time I did 29 I found the squatting and benching too easy, but the deadlifting very difficult. I moved on to 37 after it but had to stop due to injury. This time I went straight to 37 and I’ve been handling it all (including deadlifts) well. So I guess I’ll run 30 next. It looks nice, with lots of double squatting. Should I adjust (increase my maxes for 30) or keep them the same?[/quote]

Play it by ear. I’ve never bumped my maxes up without actually testing them, but I know plenty of people have. A common method is just adding 6.25lbs to your lifts so that the 80% sets will be an even 5lbs increase. You’ll know better than anyone if you should increase your numbers coming out of 37, so just listen to your instincts.

[quote]Achilles of war wrote:
If you qualify for CMS or MS this 9 weeker is good

http://www.elitefts.com/sheiko/Sheikotrcomp.htm[/quote]

Thanks. I’ll save it for later since I’m just a level 3. That’s an interesting point. This program was designed for a CMS or MS. Were the other programs designed for a particular level?

[quote]TB284 wrote:

[quote]deadman1206 wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I decided to start with 37 instead of 29 here. The last time I did 29 I found the squatting and benching too easy, but the deadlifting very difficult. I moved on to 37 after it but had to stop due to injury. This time I went straight to 37 and I’ve been handling it all (including deadlifts) well. So I guess I’ll run 30 next. It looks nice, with lots of double squatting. Should I adjust (increase my maxes for 30) or keep them the same?[/quote]

Play it by ear. I’ve never bumped my maxes up without actually testing them, but I know plenty of people have. A common method is just adding 6.25lbs to your lifts so that the 80% sets will be an even 5lbs increase. You’ll know better than anyone if you should increase your numbers coming out of 37, so just listen to your instincts.[/quote]

I see. Now that I’ve done one run through I’ll start doing it by feel a bit more with the maxes, and I might change some of the ancillary exercises.

[quote]deadman1206 wrote:

[quote]Achilles of war wrote:
If you qualify for CMS or MS this 9 weeker is good

http://www.elitefts.com/sheiko/Sheikotrcomp.htm[/quote]

Thanks. I’ll save it for later since I’m just a level 3. That’s an interesting point. This program was designed for a CMS or MS. Were the other programs designed for a particular level?
[/quote]

As long as you pause your benches, sink your squats, and do you GPP work the regular templates will work for all strength levels, even people who are CMS/MS. The CMS/MS templates should only be used by those who have achieved CMS/MS total without wraps being that that is how Sheiko calculated those set totals.

Hey comrades. I found some more Sheiko programs.
http://web.archive.org/web/20060713154103/http://www.irongarmx.net/gpl.html
But I don’t think any of these are 8 weeks.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Achilles of war wrote:
Sheiko 8 week competition cycle is far superior than running 32-29ect. Those numbers are all specific templates written for lifters needing to progress in a certain lift. For ex: 29 was structured for one of his lifters struggling in the deadlift. [/quote]
Hey man this is the second time I’ve seen you say this. I’m having difficulty locating this 8 week cycle though. Is it like a couple of the CMS prep cycles strung together or somethin? Do you have any links maybe?[/quote]

Not sure if you are still looking but I found this link a while back to a bunch of spreadsheets.

I checked the junior 1 program, and it’s the same as 37. But the junior 2 program is the same as 30 for the first 3 weeks, but with a different fourth week. It may be worth a try for some variety. I’m coming to the end of the second prep program. I want to test my maxes at the end, but I don’t want to do a full 4 week competition program, since they have a lot of taper and seem like a poor use of time if there’s no competition. So what’s the best way to do it? Should I run the first 2 or last 2 weeks of 32, or something else? I’m not sure what to expect. The deadlifts are feeling really strong and every rep looks identical. But the squat singles earlier felt weaker than expected.

You can get away with the first two weeks of 32. The skills test probably won’t give you a really accurate new 1RM since you’re going into it with lots of built up fatigue from prior cycles, but the taper week afterwards should get you to recover enough from those lifts before starting another normal-volume cycle.

[quote]TB284 wrote:
You can get away with the first two weeks of 32. The skills test probably won’t give you a really accurate new 1RM since you’re going into it with lots of built up fatigue from prior cycles, but the taper week afterwards should get you to recover enough from those lifts before starting another normal-volume cycle.[/quote]

In your experience, do you hit a big PR on the skills day? I mainly want to hit some PRs so I can use a higher training max, but I don’t want to spend too long tapering.

[quote]deadman1206 wrote:
In your experience, do you hit a big PR on the skills day? I mainly want to hit some PRs so I can use a higher training max, but I don’t want to spend too long tapering.[/quote]

I didn’t really push PRs on the skills test days; I think I did hit a deadlift PR on that day the last time I did a Sheiko peaking cycle, but in general I didn’t go in with that intention. If you’re going in wanting to look for some new 1RMs, just make sure you’re recovered well enough for it and you should get some.

When programs have these skill assessment days, they are usually done in accordance with a tendo unit. Unfortunately most people don’t have access to a tendo. So if you notice your 90% is off/very slow. Or even almost missed. You cut that lift there. So if your 90 on squat sucks stop and move on to bench.

Finished the skills assessment. Was a bit disappointed with the bench press and deadlift, but the squat went well. I did 8 weeks (37 followed by 30 followed by 32) and there was a week break towards the end of 30 because of stuff I was busy with. I was working with maxes of squat 140kg, bench press 104kg, deadlift 185kg. These were estimated maxes. The squat max was ambitious and the bench was conservative since I jacked up my shoulder before doing Sheiko, meaning that I couldn’t really do much of the benching for the first 3 weeks. The deadlift max was based on a max I got last year. I got 140kg on the squat cleanly, and could have easily hit an extra 5kg I think. I am pleased with that. But on the bench I only got 100kg and on the deadlift 180kg. I think these results aren’t so bad, given that I have dropped about 2kg since starting Sheiko (kind of inadvertently).

I want to do more Sheiko, because it’s a very enjoyable way to train. Has anyone here tried this program?

The feedback seems to be that it works very well for bench, which I’d really like to push.