How To Chill Out

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]batman730 wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:
This doesnt sound very “Alpha”

Whenever I pass someone driving slowly in an expensive car, i always make the assumption that after their monthly payments, they simply cannot afford a speeding ticket.

Making eye contact and then exchanging smiles with a guy the way you deacribe sounds kinda…gay

I have no time for slowness, 24hrs/day isnt enough. We only have one life and im trying to pack in as much as possible. I get the points youre making but i am not trying to appear to be “high-class” or whatever the fuck you said. Im trying to get my groceries and be on my way cause i have like 10 things to do before the day is done.

Do you maintain your slowness in job interviews? Do you maintain it while at your workplace? Im not sure there is anything quite as inferiorating as a slow coworker [/quote]

Actually, a job interview is one setting where a lot of people would benefit from deliberately slowing down. I’ve read that the rule of thumb is that you should speak about 20% slower than feels natural. The idea is that most people suffering from nerves at an interview (or presentation, or speaking engagement etc) will tend to talk way too fast without even realizing it.

There is something to be said for being patient, mindful and methodical in your actions. This can actually help you to be more productive. It allows you the time to see circumstances developing around you, to plan your next move and to make adjustments for things you wouldn’t necessarily have noticed or may have forgotten if you’re too rushed. You spend less time fixing things you missed in your haste. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast and all that. This is essential in high risk activities. You still move with a purpose, just not in the mad, half panicked rush people seem to slip into when they’re in a hurry or they think they’re “multi-tasking”.

I would sooner have a co-worker who took his time, paid attention thought things through and then took intelligent action than one who was forever charging ahead trying to git 'r done. Actually my right thumb is about half an inch shorter than it was thanks to the excessive initiative of one former coworker.

That said, what SM is describing or at least the way in which he describes it sounds like something different. [/quote]

Great post
[/quote]

this would really depend on the position and the interviewer. That is the problem with interviewing, its so subjective there is no perfect interview.

Overall, I enjoy my commute and a lot of it has to do with my old but high end saloon. The interior of that car is calming. My real chill out sessions are in the gym. After a solid deadlift session I am so calm and mellowed I am practically stoned. I train for the buzz, the results are secondary.

Don’t worry… Relax

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Best thing ever invented for chilling out.[/quote]

Yep. Humping a pink sawhorse with a ball at one end chills me out as well.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

Yep. Humping a pink sawhorse with a ball at one end chills me out as well.
[/quote]

Touche!

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

Whenever I pass someone driving slowly in an expensive car, i always make the assumption that after their monthly payments, they simply cannot afford a speeding ticket.

Making eye contact and then exchanging smiles with a guy the way you deacribe sounds kinda…gay

I have no time for slowness, 24hrs/day isnt enough. We only have one life and im trying to pack in as much as possible. I get the points youre making but i am not trying to appear to be “high-class” or whatever the fuck you said. Im trying to get my groceries and be on my way cause i have like 10 things to do before the day is done.

Do you maintain your slowness in job interviews? Do you maintain it while at your workplace? Im not sure there is anything quite as inferiorating as a slow coworker [/quote]

Recent clinical studies have concluded that a fast-paced lifestyle that allows no time to “chill out” or “slow down” can result in limited range of motion - particularly in the simple action of touching one’s own shoulder with the same hand.

[quote]TheKraken wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]batman730 wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

Actually, a job interview is one setting where a lot of people would benefit from deliberately slowing down. I’ve read that the rule of thumb is that you should speak about 20% slower than feels natural. The idea is that most people suffering from nerves at an interview (or presentation, or speaking engagement etc) will tend to talk way too fast without even realizing it.

There is something to be said for being patient, mindful and methodical in your actions. This can actually help you to be more productive. It allows you the time to see circumstances developing around you, to plan your next move and to make adjustments for things you wouldn’t necessarily have noticed or may have forgotten if you’re too rushed. You spend less time fixing things you missed in your haste. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast and all that. This is essential in high risk activities. You still move with a purpose, just not in the mad, half panicked rush people seem to slip into when they’re in a hurry or they think they’re “multi-tasking”.

I would sooner have a co-worker who took his time, paid attention thought things through and then took intelligent action than one who was forever charging ahead trying to git 'r done. Actually my right thumb is about half an inch shorter than it was thanks to the excessive initiative of one former coworker.

That said, what SM is describing or at least the way in which he describes it sounds like something different. [/quote]

Great post
[/quote]

this would really depend on the position and the interviewer. That is the problem with interviewing, its so subjective there is no perfect interview.

[/quote]

Completely agree on the subjectivity of interviews and the lack of any “magic formula”.

That said, I would think that more often than not taking a moment to catch your breathe frame your answers intelligently then speaking slowly and clearly enough that you can be understood and that the interviewer can process what you’re saying would be preferable to rushing breathlessly through and letting your mouth run ahead of your brain, no?

Genuine question. Seems to me you are/were an HR guy, so you likely know better than me, the guy sitting on the other side of the table.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Hey Clunkie, just chilled out with my barber. She’s awesome![/quote]

Had you by the short hairs, huh?

Slow swimming sharks are far creepier than fast swimming sharks.

That’s not a metaphor.

You know, SM, for someone who is obviously a smart guy, you worry about an awful lot of meaningless bullshit.

High value women, low value women, high status, low status individuals, appearing alpha, dressing alpha.

To my recollection, you’re in your thirties, aren’t you? Is this your version of an early mid life crisis or have you not matured beyond all the stupid crap you post about?

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
You know, SM, for someone who is obviously a smart guy, you worry about an awful lot of meaningless bullshit.

High value women, low value women, high status, low status individuals, appearing alpha, dressing alpha.

To my recollection, you’re in your thirties, aren’t you? Is this your version of an early mid life crisis or have you not matured beyond all the stupid crap you post about? [/quote]

I think he read American Psycho and decided that would be his online persona.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
I take magnesium.[/quote]

Same here. You should also try GABA

[quote]StevenF wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

To my recollection, you’re in your thirties, aren’t you? Is this your version of an early mid life crisis or have you not matured beyond all the stupid crap you post about? [/quote]

I think he read American Psycho and decided that would be his online persona. [/quote]

If he’s getting fulfilment from all the awesome stuff he says he’s doing then why does he need an “online persona”? Why is he so obsessed with Abella Anderson? I am just asking these questions

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Hey Clunkie, just chilled out with my barber. She’s awesome![/quote]

Had you by the short hairs, huh?
[/quote]

Kinda.[/quote]

WHOA!

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[/quote]

Okay

Funny. All sorts of people drive expensive cars for all sorts of reasons.

Funny too. I don’t have any problems with gay guys. We also exchanged a smile when a crazy young guy got angry for us going too slow and screeched off like a maniac. I used to drive fast but I not like an idiot getting angry at nothing. I do get stressed though and slowing down has helped reduce my stress levels. Don’t want too many stress hormones floating around the system. I’ve also been sleeping better. I’d really recommend this.

I’m in a hurry often too and sometimes get frustrated with people that hold me up. I don’t deliberately delay people. I just go about my business a little slower. And about the status thing, it’s just better to be treated with respect by people. I know there are a lot of arseholes who think they’re special but I’m just talking about getting the respect you deserve without having to demand it(which you can’t really without getting in trouble right?) Besides, it’s not worth beating up the bartender to get served quicker. Easier to make him think he should and not quite know why.

If someone behind me is in a rush you can usually tell. I’d probably let them go first. Besides, it’s probably not really slower. People who do things like that fast tend to fumble and end up taking just as long or longer. I see this all the time. And as they fumble they apologise and all it does it just annoy the shopkeeper.

Everywhere. But not unnaturally. That’s why it has taken a long time to get to the pace of life I feel more comfortable with. It’s measurably lowered my resting pulse. I can lower my own pulse through a kind of meditation / relaxation. Anyone can really. Just slow your breathing down and relax. A lot of guys will have a heart attack if they don’t do something like this.

[quote]

Do you maintain it while at your workplace? Im not sure there is anything quite as inferiorating as a slow coworker [/quote]

I’ve always been more productive with my time in the workplace than my colleagues. It may not be the best way to get ahead but it’s my way. Now I manage my own investments, work on my writing and take on some work at home when I start to think about how my savings are depleting and wish to top them up. I’m not interested in any kind of advancement in my career. I’m comfortable, have no debt or dependents and have other irons in the fire too.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
If you are really slow and controlled taking your money out of your pocket at the shop the guy at the counter will think you’re a high status individual because everyone else rushes to get their money out and apologises for everything and this is basically like wearing a sign saying “low status guy.” Everyone else does too. [/quote]

Seriously?[/quote]

I didn’t invent the damn game. Try and get in a fancy restaurant in sandals. It’s just the rules.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

It’s true. THat’s why married men are more calm and relaxed.