How Old Is Too Old To Skate Board?

be prepared to have kids laugh at you and when they laugh at the sick tricks you do like boneless and eggplants…they have no idea what youre talking about and make fun of you

I remember in like 1982-1985 when the local skate bowl was exclusively the domain of BMX’s. No skaters existed it seemed.

Then around 1986 or 1987 it flip flopped completely when everybody became a Mountain Biker (I live on the North Shore, in Vancouver, the mountain biking Mecca of the known universe) all the BMX’s vanished completely and there was a sudden giant growth of skating and the bowl was full again only with skateboarders.

Then like 5 years later again there was NOBODY in that skate bowl.

Funny seeing things come in and out of fashion.

North Shore is still mountain biking mecca though, hundreds of bikes pass by the house per week coming down from the world famous bike trails.

twenty inch is the only way to ride.

i made some posts one time like a high jump to see how high i could get. rolling i could jump over three feet but standing still i used to get nearly four. when i was about seventeen. the last best trick i did was about twe years ago when i picked up riding again… launched into a 180 feeble grind (going backwards) slid for about six feet onto a two foot grind box and 180’d out. it was sick. almost pulled the same trick with a smith grind but i could not get off the box. i tried hitting the back brake to initiate the hop out but no luck. there is nothing like riding in the world. too bad i have not done it in so long… might be time for shut up and ride.

[quote]vizunaldth wrote:
twenty inch is the only way to ride.

i made some posts one time like a high jump to see how high i could get. rolling i could jump over three feet but standing still i used to get nearly four. when i was about seventeen. the last best trick i did was about twe years ago when i picked up riding again… launched into a 180 feeble grind (going backwards) slid for about six feet onto a two foot grind box and 180’d out. it was sick. almost pulled the same trick with a smith grind but i could not get off the box. i tried hitting the back brake to initiate the hop out but no luck. there is nothing like riding in the world. too bad i have not done it in so long… might be time for shut up and ride. [/quote]

Sweet, you 180’d a feeble into a fakie!
I remember learning to fakie. A four foot hop is huge! I must have tried for two whole days then all of a sudden I nailed them. I have not ridden since last summer and this thread is making me think I should bust out the bmx. I have a full suspension mtb aswell. I was planning on giving downhill mountain biking a few goes this summer.
Later
Paulos

[quote]Coach Davies wrote:
Paulos wrote:
Coach Davies,
How high can you bunny hop a bmx/mtb? I think it is one hell of an explosive movement. The best I ever managed was on my bmx onto a 3ft high ledge. I dont get to ride as often as i would like. Inbetween my phd and my girlfriend, finding time to ride a bike is hard to come by.

I have got to say I never thought there would be a skate/bmx thread on T-Nation.

Paulos

Amazing explosive movement…3 foot ledge is strong and you’ve got me beat.

Great to finally see a thread on skate/bmx here isn’t it. Lets talk more.

In faith,

Coach Davies

[/quote]

Coach,
I am pretty sure that you have me beat on a skateboard though!
Lavin is a very nice bike. I am jealous. I have an early nineties S&M Dirtbike. I bought it off a friend for twenty quid and it is the best money I ever spent.
Some of the best days I have ever had have been because of biking.
You say you ride MTB aswell. Cross-country, downhill or a bit of both?
Later
Paulos

[quote]xgymratx wrote:
be prepared to have kids laugh at you and when they laugh at the sick tricks you do like boneless and eggplants…they have no idea what youre talking about and make fun of you[/quote]

Hmm…that must be a regional thing. Where I skate you throw down a boneless and that shows primo style. Instant credibility…

In faith,

Coach Davies

[quote]Paulos wrote:
Coach,

I am pretty sure that you have me beat on a skateboard though!

Lavin is a very nice bike. I am jealous. I have an early nineties S&M Dirtbike. I bought it off a friend for twenty quid and it is the best money I ever spent.

Some of the best days I have ever had have been because of biking.

You say you ride MTB aswell. Cross-country, downhill or a bit of both?
Later
Paulos
[/quote]

LOL…well you’d definately have me on the bike. I’m definately more comfortable on a board but that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy MTB/BMX. I think that’s the point though…with all my 'bro’s we just get out ride, encourage each other and have fun. Each of us has their own strong suit in either Surf, Skate, Snowboarding or Biking but have fun at doing it. Its like riding with Grant on the east coast…he’s competed in the top BMX events in the country but we have a great time.

Oh yeah the Lavin is sweet and Schwinn put together an awesome set up. I ride a bit of both, whatever is available - its all good. Today’s another snowride session and that’ll be a blast.

take care,

In faith,

Coach Davies

I’d like to get back on an MTB, the major problem I have is size.
All the bikes seem to be made for a guy who’s 5 11 and 155.
I’m 5 8ish and around 265 right now.
Heavy framed (my RA freshman year played on the O-line, and during a body type discussion one evening started laughing at me. He thought it was funny that I was made of dino bones. The other guys couldn’t believe that he thought my frame was bigger than his.) I’ve got a 36 inch waist…but no idea how much of this is a % of bf and how much is lbm.
For the purposes of the V-Diet and T-Dawg I’ve just been figuring my lbm at 200, but I’ve noticed that I can almost feel myself growing when I take in half again as much protein as I should be.
Anyway…back to bikes. I was looking at the Kona line, they seemed pretty sturdy.
I’ve had advice to get the Blast, and upgrade as I break/bend something, or to start with the next one up.
I tried a K2 Xed something or other, and that felt good but light, and before I could get the cash saved up the damn dealer decided to take early retirement.
The local Kona dealer immediately tried to sell me the top of the line hardtail. But 1200 is a buttload of money to spend on a bike, I think.
Any suggestions from anyone?

and…just for the record…I think I was born too old to skate.
Looks like fun, but requires a bit too much agility for me!

this is an awesome thread. i love the lingo that goes with BMX/sk8in. JD got me sk8in about a year ago but due to football commitments i haven’t been able to do it too much yet. nothing like carving tho…snow or concrete. the only recommendation i have is to not take yourself to seriously when sk8in. laugh when you fall, it hurts less and you don’t look quite as dumb while laughing about it.

btw…when the winter comes get a snow sk8, they’re sweet and you can get a decent one pretty cheap now.

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:
[/quote]

our o-line coach at my college is like 270 and sk8s…i wouldn’t describe him as graceful or agile either

when you can fall off going in a straight line on a slight downhill, you’re askin’ for trouble.

Then again, maybe these new-fangled wide ass planks would help.
Back when I started trying it we had narrow boards with cool wings on the back!

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:
I’d like to get back on an MTB, the major problem I have is size.
All the bikes seem to be made for a guy who’s 5 11 and 155.
I’m 5 8ish and around 265 right now.
Heavy framed (my RA freshman year played on the O-line, and during a body type discussion one evening started laughing at me. He thought it was funny that I was made of dino bones. The other guys couldn’t believe that he thought my frame was bigger than his.) I’ve got a 36 inch waist…but no idea how much of this is a % of bf and how much is lbm.
For the purposes of the V-Diet and T-Dawg I’ve just been figuring my lbm at 200, but I’ve noticed that I can almost feel myself growing when I take in half again as much protein as I should be.
Anyway…back to bikes. I was looking at the Kona line, they seemed pretty sturdy.
I’ve had advice to get the Blast, and upgrade as I break/bend something, or to start with the next one up.
I tried a K2 Xed something or other, and that felt good but light, and before I could get the cash saved up the damn dealer decided to take early retirement.
The local Kona dealer immediately tried to sell me the top of the line hardtail. But 1200 is a buttload of money to spend on a bike, I think.
Any suggestions from anyone?
[/quote]

I’m calling to find out the best model for you. We’ll find something tight for you.

…and yeah Joe, you’re ridin with us sometime.

In faith,

Coach Davies

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:
[/quote]

Never too old to have fun…isn’t this whole exercise thing is about? It adds value to your life and you enjoy what you are doing (I have to throw in an 80’s thing here Grant) “to the max”.

In faith,

Coach Davies

Wow … how did it take me THIS long to find this thread!!

Well, it’s been said already … never too old. Ever. The minute you start feeling too old give yourself a good slap in the face and think better of it. As for using skating/BMX for recovery, etc., just ride to have fun. I wouldn’t be so worried about that, although I must say, as much as I suck on a skateboard, it really loosens up my hips and helped me get in the hole with overhead squats.

That being said, nice to see some fellow BMXers out there. I raced a few years in my childhood, then the track got demolished. Then I picked it up again in my late 20s and competed nationally, beating young 19 year old punks :slight_smile: I’m re-entering the competitive realm this year, so those kids better watch out.

I can’t over-emphasize good protective gear. Helmet, knee and elbow pads … nothing cool about not being able to walk or bend your arm. So strap on the gear.

As for being “dangerous” … I argue that it’s dangerous NOT to do this kind of stuff. I’m pretty damn good at falling now, so when I have a lapse and take a header down my front steps, I’m way better prepared. Just don’t worry about being good right away … it’s fun whether you suck or whether you rip it. And you don’t have to worry about depending on teammates who may or may not be giving 100%.

-Grant

Oh, someone mentioned here that mountain bikes are made for smaller guys … not so. Most models come in different sizes. You have to find the geometry that works for you. It helps to have a bike shop that is knowledgeable about these types of things, but some are not. If you need help finding a ride, let me know.

-Grant

Yeah, but have you busted a fastplant into the transition? That’s a funny one to try, I love the looks I get when I throw down a Bert Slide. Those were dead when I was a kid, but since I’m older skating with these kids, it seems so right

[quote]hard9026 wrote:
Yeah, but have you busted a fastplant into the transition? That’s a funny one to try, I love the looks I get when I throw down a Bert Slide. Those were dead when I was a kid, but since I’m older skating with these kids, it seems so right [/quote]

never done those but i busted a face plant trying to transition…lol

for a real thrill try flying off your board into a bush with old people watching you. i mean old like 65+. you know, JD’s “peers” : )

I thought I join in the discussion and say at 32 I am just starting to learn how to skate for the first time. I thought it would be a great way to spend time with my boys. They are only 2 and 4 now, which gives me some time to actually get good. :slight_smile:

Bert slides, rock on. That was the second trick I learned back in the day. The first was an acid drop off a fence. Took me a while to garner the gonads to take it from a grass landing to a paved one. But I was more interested in building my personal Hell Track around town, through the woods and people’s back yards. If you know what Hell Track refers to we’ve got lots to talk about.