How Old Is Too Old To Skate Board?

This is great. So, on my way out this morning I see the kid’s dad, and he’s pissed about the skateboard. Started going on about how “a minor can’t enter into a contract” so I need to give it back.

I tried to explain to him how his kid will grow up to be a real weasel if I just gave it back, and that if either he or his kid could do half of my max by summer’s end I’d consider selling it back for fifty bucks.

Then the guy gets all huffy and starts ranting about how everything in life isn’t about feats of strength, and blah, blah, blah. So I told him, “while you’re in my driveway it is.”

Now I really need to learn some tricks, so I can tear it up in front of their house.

[quote]Coach Davies wrote:
wtf wrote:
The first thing I would recommend might seem a bit peculiar but have fun. I know , I know “having fun” doesn’t seem all that important but skating is your personal canvas and you need to relax and enjoy what you are doing.

I would equally recommend that you make sure you get good set of pads and helmet. Don’t be cheap on this and if you need recommendations, just ask.

From there, those first moments on the deck, just get used to standing and pumping, pushing off. That will take you sometime to become accustomed to - so just be patient.
From there the action of turning, carving on deck is the ultimate in controlling heel/toe action which is based upon postural alignment.

I personally skate bowls which too me is the ultimate challenge both artistically, managing fear and athletically. It is rarely acknowledged for its incredible athletic demands but it is the management of compression, decompression and postural alignment at extraordinary speed. With one wrong move and you eat concrete from 10+ feet and well…lol - you have shoulders that look like mine.

Anyways, let me know how I can help and even fill me where you are. I travel a lot, always have a deck with me - so if it’s possible, maybe we can get out.

In faith,

Coach Davies[/quote]

Thanks. I’m in Modesto, Ca. Let me know if you’re ever in town.

I’m stopping at the local skate shop on the way home to get some pads and stuff.

The only advice I can offer is you are a wuss like me, then you should learn to olly the board on a carpeted surface. This way the board will not shoot out from under you when you get it wrong on the first few tries.
I prefer BMX anyway.

[quote]wtf wrote:
Coach Davies wrote:
wtf wrote:
The first thing I would recommend might seem a bit peculiar but have fun. I know , I know “having fun” doesn’t seem all that important but skating is your personal canvas and you need to relax and enjoy what you are doing.

I would equally recommend that you make sure you get good set of pads and helmet. Don’t be cheap on this and if you need recommendations, just ask.

From there, those first moments on the deck, just get used to standing and pumping, pushing off. That will take you sometime to become accustomed to - so just be patient.
From there the action of turning, carving on deck is the ultimate in controlling heel/toe action which is based upon postural alignment.

I personally skate bowls which too me is the ultimate challenge both artistically, managing fear and athletically. It is rarely acknowledged for its incredible athletic demands but it is the management of compression, decompression and postural alignment at extraordinary speed. With one wrong move and you eat concrete from 10+ feet and well…lol - you have shoulders that look like mine.

Anyways, let me know how I can help and even fill me where you are. I travel a lot, always have a deck with me - so if it’s possible, maybe we can get out.

In faith,

Coach Davies

Thanks. I’m in Modesto, Ca. Let me know if you’re ever in town.

I’m stopping at the local skate shop on the way home to get some pads and stuff.[/quote]

Modesto…sure I’ll be heading not to far from you in a few months for a camp in the Bay area. You have some sweet parks in your area including one in Tracy which is pretty sick…

Hopefully we can skate sometime soon,

In faith,

Coach Davies

[quote]Paulos wrote:
The only advice I can offer is you are a wuss like me, then you should learn to olly the board on a carpeted surface. This way the board will not shoot out from under you when you get it wrong on the first few tries.
I prefer BMX anyway.[/quote]

hehe…i’d say loosen the trucks and carve but now that we’re on the BMX scene, I guess I gotta roll out my Lavin. Anyone else BMX/MTB?

In faith,

Coach Davies

I have to say I love Coach Davies- once when I was speaking to him about Boot Camp a while back I mentioned that my son who is 17 is a “die hard” skateboarder. I say this because it is something he must do everyday,it is a need . He is looking for sponsership and considers this a lifestyle rather than hobby.

Anyway- Coach Davies, not knowing me really, offers all kinds of help. Offers to send free stuff to my son and offers to let him come out and skate with him. To me that is class act all the way. Anyway -here in the Phoenix area at the parks I see guys well into what I think is like late 30’s -40’s skating with the kids or on their own. Age is nothing but a number…-Julianne

[quote]rainjack wrote:
For me - it was when I was 12. Sometimes you just gotta know when to say when.[/quote]

16 - Once I got my first Pontiac. It was a 73 GTO with a 455, given to me by my Grandmother - Her old driver! (GOD bless her!) After that point, all other forms of transpotation became irrelavant.

MIKE (great421)

how ever old you are - that’s too old. face the facts. you are an old, worn out, washed up, good for nothing punk - that wants to start boarding? GET A LIFE!

j/k :wink:

but really, it looks like others have responded quite nicely. it’s one of the YMMV things. how old is too old for anything? i personally don’t do that kind of sh!t cuz i don’t want to get hurt anymore. i’ve already separated both my shoulders with snow sports, and as of the last time i checked, snow remains typically softer than concrete, wood, asphalt, etc.

But I do like to mix things up. So, if you need to introduce some refreshing insanity into your life, do this:
(1)take your age
(2)find 68% of the number from (1)
(3)date a girl that is the number from (2)
Note - this only applies if you are 27 or older.

BFG

I love to skate on my longboard. My Randall trucks have a great carving action and make me feel like I’m snowboarding. Pavement is a little less forgiving than snow obviously, but sliding down a gradient is sliding down a gradient and it is a good clean way to get cheap thrills. Oh yeah, I’m 32. I hope to be at it indefinitely. Coach, I wish you’d come to Chattanooga sometime. Lots to do here. I bet you’d dig it. Much respect, MikeA.

[quote]teamstaley wrote:
I have to say I love Coach Davies- once when I was speaking to him about Boot Camp a while back I mentioned that my son who is 17 is a “die hard” skateboarder. I say this because it is something he must do everyday,it is a need . He is looking for sponsership and considers this a lifestyle rather than hobby.

Anyway- Coach Davies, not knowing me really, offers all kinds of help. Offers to send free stuff to my son and offers to let him come out and skate with him. To me that is class act all the way. Anyway -here in the Phoenix area at the parks I see guys well into what I think is like late 30’s -40’s skating with the kids or on their own. Age is nothing but a number…-Julianne [/quote]

LOL…hey around “Renegade” you get to the front of the line if you a board or bike.

Seriously…the offer is always there for him and I totally understand about needing to skate daily. I just got into serious trouble from my PT for taking a cast off my ankle 2 weeks early so I could rip…just had to do.

Drop me an email sometime, I’ve got to send him some “R” gear. Also tell him to check out the powell-peralta.com museum he’ll love it.

In faith

Coach Davies

(btw…if/when we skate together no “coach d” comments allowed - lol)

Coach Davies,
How high can you bunny hop a bmx/mtb? I think it is one hell of an explosive movement. The best I ever managed was on my bmx onto a 3ft high ledge. I dont get to ride as often as i would like. Inbetween my phd and my girlfriend, finding time to ride a bike is hard to come by.

I have got to say I never thought there would be a skate/bmx thread on T-Nation.

Paulos

[quote]MikeA. wrote:
I love to skate on my longboard. My Randall trucks have a great carving action and make me feel like I’m snowboarding. Pavement is a little less forgiving than snow obviously, but sliding down a gradient is sliding down a gradient and it is a good clean way to get cheap thrills. Oh yeah, I’m 32. I hope to be at it indefinitely. Coach, I wish you’d come to Chattanooga sometime. Lots to do here. I bet you’d dig it. Much respect, MikeA.[/quote]

Oh sweet Randalls…sweet ride and I’m totally into that. I put those on my August - SkateOne long board. Chattanooga would be great - havn’t been in a while though. An old friend of mine is from there too.

btw…snowboarder - whats the better spots in your area. I’m trying to line up a snowboarding/Renegade camp in the summer.

talk with you soon,

In faith,

Coach Davies

Looky here looky here. We have a post on T-mag that has nothing to do with checking out guys with their shirts off or the scientific amount sweat that needs to drip off your body to achieve maximum whatever. Nice to see all you guys out there skating still in their 30’s and up.

Get some pads to start especially wrist guards. It will get you over just starting to carve around. Also if you are an actual man sized male, I’d avoid one of those popsicle sticks that the kids ride. You will find a better feel with one that is full sized, or for all of you salty vets of sakting like me, get a vintage classic from powell or alva. These are the same low concave spoon nose models from the 80’s that are built for carving. I can say from personal experience that Coach D has some good lines over at Etnies in Lake Forest. That place is no joke if you are ever out in South Orange County.

As far as training goes, if you keep up the intensity with being a bit more explosive, and loosening your hips, skating feels ,much better. If all else fails it’s still damn fun to just butt board down a hill. I want to say that the one guy that someone mentioned before is the great Uncle Wiggly from Upland. The guy was built like Homer Simpson in his 40’s and could still shred the kidney at Upland in the 80’s, he made Uncle WIggly Sticks too, good pool board if you can find one on e-bay.

[quote]hard9026 wrote:
Looky here looky here. We have a post on T-mag that has nothing to do with checking out guys with their shirts off or the scientific amount sweat that needs to drip off your body to achieve maximum whatever. Nice to see all you guys out there skating still in their 30’s and up.

Get some pads to start especially wrist guards. It will get you over just starting to carve around. Also if you are an actual man sized male, I’d avoid one of those popsicle sticks that the kids ride. You will find a better feel with one that is full sized, or for all of you salty vets of sakting like me, get a vintage classic from powell or alva. These are the same low concave spoon nose models from the 80’s that are built for carving. I can say from personal experience that Coach D has some good lines over at Etnies in Lake Forest. That place is no joke if you are ever out in South Orange County.

As far as training goes, if you keep up the intensity with being a bit more explosive, and loosening your hips, skating feels ,much better. If all else fails it’s still damn fun to just butt board down a hill. I want to say that the one guy that someone mentioned before is the great Uncle Wiggly from Upland. The guy was built like Homer Simpson in his 40’s and could still shred the kidney at Upland in the 80’s, he made Uncle WIggly Sticks too, good pool board if you can find one on e-bay.[/quote]

…you just loved calling me “Coach” on that one didn’t you - lol. All I can think of is you saying that while I go over the hip and I lose it into one giant splat. BTW…you should get some prize for making the ultimate dig at popsicle decks, thats strong - btw…“the Lance” is 10x32

I’ll try to call you later - we’ve gotta cut some tape in a bowl soon…later

In faith,

Coach Davies

btw…remember to pack your decks in May…

Thought you would want to hear a post that did not refer to you as the MF’ing Coach Davies. The 10X32 fish shape is a true classic. I’ll be ready when my Tommy Guerrero gets here in May, anyone have any of those old Bones 3 wheels out there, Orange would be nice

hehe…i’d say loosen the trucks and carve but now that we’re on the BMX scene, I guess I gotta roll out my Lavin. Anyone else BMX/MTB?

In faith,

Coach Davies
[/quote]

I do the MTB thing, though not as much as I would like to do.

[quote]hard9026 wrote:
Thought you would want to hear a post that did not refer to you as the MF’ing Coach Davies. The 10X32 fish shape is a true classic. I’ll be ready when my Tommy Guerrero gets here in May, anyone have any of those old Bones 3 wheels out there, Orange would be nice[/quote]

lol…yeah but when you mf me I know its as a 'bro…kinda like a night in Hoboken. The Tommy G will be demented. I’ve you some bowl bombers for you btw.

BTW…glad you liked “sunshine”…

In faith,

Coach Davies

[quote]Paulos wrote:
Coach Davies,
How high can you bunny hop a bmx/mtb? I think it is one hell of an explosive movement. The best I ever managed was on my bmx onto a 3ft high ledge. I dont get to ride as often as i would like. Inbetween my phd and my girlfriend, finding time to ride a bike is hard to come by.

I have got to say I never thought there would be a skate/bmx thread on T-Nation.

Paulos[/quote]

Amazing explosive movement…3 foot ledge is strong and you’ve got me beat.

Great to finally see a thread on skate/bmx here isn’t it. Lets talk more.

In faith,

Coach Davies

[quote]Kronk wrote:

In faith,

Coach Davies

I do the MTB thing, though not as much as I would like to do.[/quote]

MTB is awesome and one of those great activities you can do all your life. I like to do some snow sessions which is kinda different.

Hope to hear from you,

In faith,

Coach Davies

be prepared to have kids laugh at you and when they laugh at the sick tricks you do like boneless and eggplants…they have no idea what youre talking about and make fun of you