T Nation

How Old Is Too Old To Skate Board?

I’m thinking of doing it on my off days; strictly for GPP/active recovery purposes…

Never, but within reason. If you are planning sick verts or park attacks you may want to rethink that unless you are in superb shape… and even then that isn’t something any beginner would want to jump into so this may be a moot point…

What are you thinking about trying?

Why should there be an age limit?

The guys are right, there is no age limit.

When I was 16 I went on a vaction with my parents down to L.A. Me and my brothers got to hit up a lot of different parks. We went to this one park in Fullerton and there was this guy who was probably the same age as my dad (around 40 at the time). He also had the same build as my old man, a big ol’ gut. I watched this guy pull off a handplant and hold it! I was like “holy shitt! That’s awesome!”

So apparently you’re never too old, nor too fat.

skating is a ton of fun & there should be no age limit on that.

However, it’s definetly a risk factor for ankle injuries, & as you age you lose your ability to generate muscle power which is another big risk factor for ankle injuries, so be prepared for injury if you’re getting up there & want to take up skating.

Also, depending on where you live can have an effect, such as other people your age who skate, places to skate, etc. If you’re in Cali, I’m sure its pretty common. But when I moved during high school to the Ozarks, people thought I was acting like a little kid because I was in high school and enjoyed skateboarding.

[quote]LowfatMatt wrote:

What are you thinking about trying?[/quote]

Don’t know; this is my first board. I won it off the kid down the block on a bet.

What kind of stuff do you recommend for a beginner?

I gotta’ get Coach Davies to respond on this thread.

The guy hits the skate board park a few times a week.

TC

[quote]provy07 wrote:
Why should there be an age limit?[/quote]

Guess I just feel weird pushing forty and looking to tear up the sidewalks.

I don’t think it would do much for gpp or active recovery, but other than that I don’t see why not.

For me - it was when I was 12. Sometimes you just gotta know when to say when.

[quote]wtf wrote:
provy07 wrote:
Why should there be an age limit?

Guess I just feel weird pushing forty and looking to tear up the sidewalks. [/quote]

bro i’m 38. started at 35. go rent “dogtown and z-boys”, quit pushing forty, and get pushin’ your skate already.

Admit it, you stole the board from some poor kid.

[quote]wtf wrote:
Don’t know; this is my first board. I won it off the kid down the block on a bet.
[/quote]

[quote]NateN wrote:
Admit it, you stole the board from some poor kid.
[/quote]

Actually, it was pretty close to theft. : )

The little punk thought he could do more pushups than me, so I told him to put his board where his mouth is.

[quote]wtf wrote:
LowfatMatt wrote:

[/quote]

Helmet and Pads.

Holy crap a skateboard thread on T-mag. I knew I wasn’t the only one.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
Helmet and Pads.[/quote]

touche

[quote]wtf wrote:
I’m thinking of doing it on my off days; strictly for GPP/active recovery purposes…[/quote]

First of all - you are never too old to start skating. I’ve held a few clinics, mostly to promote skating with there children but it is equally one of the most enjoyable (and addictive) activities you can get into. For those reading this…you can’t imagine the smile on the kid’s face when they see Mom or Dad out skating with them - it’s priceless.

I skate bowls daily with a great group of people, with a broad diversity of age groups and backgrounds, each encouraging the other and simply sharing in the good nature of getting out and being active.

Let me know how I can help.

In faith,

Coach Davies

[quote]wtf wrote:
LowfatMatt wrote:

What are you thinking about trying?

[/quote]

The first thing I would recommend might seem a bit peculiar but have fun. I know , I know “having fun” doesn’t seem all that important but skating is your personal canvas and you need to relax and enjoy what you are doing.

I would equally recommend that you make sure you get good set of pads and helmet. Don’t be cheap on this and if you need recommendations, just ask.

From there, those first moments on the deck, just get used to standing and pumping, pushing off. That will take you sometime to become accustomed to - so just be patient.
From there the action of turning, carving on deck is the ultimate in controlling heel/toe action which is based upon postural alignment.

I personally skate bowls which too me is the ultimate challenge both artistically, managing fear and athletically. It is rarely acknowledged for its incredible athletic demands but it is the management of compression, decompression and postural alignment at extraordinary speed. With one wrong move and you eat concrete from 10+ feet and well…lol - you have shoulders that look like mine.

Anyways, let me know how I can help and even fill me where you are. I travel a lot, always have a deck with me - so if it’s possible, maybe we can get out.

In faith,

Coach Davies

I’m not 35 yet, but close. I took up skating again at 30 after a 10 year hiatus. I started dreaming about skating often and my subconscious was sending me a message I couldn’t ignore. Then I stumbled across Coach Davies’ website and that motivated me some more. (Thanks Coach)

Basically now I skate within my limits, and go more for the feel of the carve and concrete under my feet,and little jumps of curbs and stuff. No ollieing down big flights of stairs, or sliding rails, or such madness. I still bomb hills once in a while, and I’ve been close to eating it a few times, but managed to ride out the speed wobbles, or bail into a soft-looking flax bush.

Occasionally I skate bowls and I suck compared to the kids there, but as I outweigh them by double, no-one tells me that I do!

If you want to skate, skate. You’re never to old if you have the desire and you’re not totally crippled by injury.