How Many Pounds Per Month Should You Be Gaining?

If you’re looking to gain strength why are you asking about weight gain and not about strength gains?

Seems like cart before the horse.

1 Like

That made the answer difficult. I was pretty sure that is what he was looking for, but he asked about body weight. Then again, he is very young.

Just to be rude. I wouldn’t want to get any fatter than that at your age.

I’m guessing coefficients or Wilks aren’t on the radar as of yet.

Not with those numbers.

What other threads are you perusing and/or contributing?
Are you at a gym where there are competitive lifters?
Worst case would be you are the strongest person in the gym, because you become the pioneer.
Do you have a strength training strategy? What is it?

Back in my old days, before your dad was born, we competed in powerlifting to put on muscle.

2 Likes

Speaking of which… do they seem odd to you?

1 Like

Truth…

How did you guys train for powerlifting back then? How different from your bodybuilding training was it?

These days some bodybuilders don’t use barbells much at all. In the past lots of BB guys were really strong too.

As many pounds as your vanity will permit you, but never at the expense of your long term health.

1 Like

You must know information was scarce. One of the gym members (who later opened his own gym) competed in powerlifting. We did the three lifts.
We probably maxed too often.
But we did things like 5x5. Squat and Bench
I never tried deadlifting anything I couldn’t do 4 reps, after a few weekends of failing to complete a 600 lb deadlift a couple weekends. We deadlifted on Saturdays.

I always bodybuilded around the three power lifts. We benched and squated twice a week.

Please consider this was in 1974 through 1976. Where was there any information about powerlifting training programs? The best resource we had was Iron Man Magazine. No one had an internet connection. We were pioneers.

3 Likes

S

9 Likes

I’m not sure how you gain your strength but for me its usually by being in a caloric surplus which means gaining weight and depending on your caloric surplus it can vary a lot on how much you can increase your strength.

I don’t even know if I’m 17% and even if I were I’d still be in a perfectly health range as a lifter, its not like I’m 17% percent body fat and sedentary.

Also getting stage ready is the dumbest thing you could possibly do for your health as a natty unless of course you’re taking stuff.

I am sorry I could not contribute to your quest.
Best wishes.

5 Likes

What does this mean?

1 Like

All you morons should be asking this OP for advise. He clearly knows everything. Learn to recognize your betters people.

2 Likes

This is not the manner to conduct yourself in if you want help.

8 Likes

Well I went from a sub 550 deadlift to a 725 deadlift without gaining any weight whatsoever, but you do you.

Weight gain might come with the overall process of strength gain, but you are targeting weight gain not accepting it as secondary or as a facilitating measure.

Your primary goal, strength, should be your primary measure.

5 Likes

I’ve said it before, but I’m really glad we didn’t have the internet (at least as it is today) when I was growing up. It’s normal to think you have all the answers when you’re young, but the internet magnifies both the attitude and the reach to incredible levels. Not to mention it’s on here forever, so people get to see your nonsense long after you’ve grown out of it.

Before anyone gets upset, I mean that sincerely - this is a difficult tool for this generation to manage.

5 Likes