How Can I Fight a Ticket I Got ...

My wife got pulled over about a month ago with a tag light out. Not a brake light or a headlight, the tiny fucking lights that illuminate your license plate. Anyway, $200 dollars later to get the wiring fixed, she had to get the work order signed off by a state trooper. Apparently if you don’t get it signed off within 30 days they suspend your registration. Go fuck yourself Maryland…

In short, I agree a lot of it is just a money grab and some of it is arguably an infringement of the 4th .

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
So WHO exactly made it “the rules” that a person NOT DRIVING while impaired get’s charged with a DUI? How is that acceptable that a person who made A RESPONSIBLE CHOICE to “sleep it off” in the safety and comfort of his own vehicle get’s charged (costing him thousands of dollars to fight and still probably get’s a conviction)? HE DIDN’T DRIVE…

WHO made “the rules” that allowed the STATE to deprive the hebrew hero of his liberty and arrest and detain him for two hours like a criminal for a $10.00 fine?

WHO made “the rules” that a piece of property that YOU OWN need’s to be “registered” with the STATE?

WHO made it “the rules” that if you move and take this piece of property that YOU OWN to a different state, you can be fined, have your property stolen and impounded BY THE STATE, have warrants issued, arrested and imprisoned because you didn’t pay a minor fee?

WHO made “the rules” that gave the STATE the authority to detain TheKraken’s wife FOR HOURS while THEY sorted out THEIR paperwork over a NON CRIMINAL OFFENSE?

WHO made “the rules” that gives a court the power to issue court costs when someone is found not guilty?

Each and every one of you who takes the attitude of, “Hey, suck it up - that’s the price you pay for driving a vehicle” Or, “take your lumps and move on” Or, “don’t get mad at cops for doing their jobs, you are LUCKY you got to drive home” ARE FUCKING SHEEP.

Why is it OK with you that the state is empowered to systematically fuck us in the ass? None of us voted for these laws. These laws and fines are rammed down our collective throats by a government who needs money to feed itself. More laws = more fines = more revenue = more government = more laws, ad infinitum…

Well if you don’t like it, don’t drive on the roads, you say? WHAT PLANET ARE YOU ON? My taxes PAY for those fucking roads. Every time I fill up, I contribute to the highway fund. I have EVERY RIGHT to drive anywhere the fuck I want to without being harassed by the state.

The fact that the general attitude is that “it’s YOUR fault, the state has done nothing wrong here”, scares the shit out of me.

What’s it going to be like in another twenty years? I mean the state needs revenue, right? A toll on every block? How about a thousand dollar fine for not using a turn signal? Will you attitude be the same then? If you don’t like it, don’t drive?

Here’s a novel idea: how about if you don’t like it, CHANGE THE LAW and FIRE the legislator/executive who keeps funding this corrupt police department?

Fucking sheeple…[/quote]

2 things go into people being convicted of a crime: intent and action. The person asleep in the front seat of his car with his keys in the ignition (even in the off position) has shown intent that he is going to drive while impaired. Therefore he can be charged with that crime even if he doesn’t actually get to drive while impaired.

Registering your car: I’d say somewhere in the ballpark of 80% of people don’t actually own their cars. They’re on loan from the bank, or the car dealership. I think once you own the car, registration shouldn’t be necessary, but until that point I think it’s perfectly fine.

Why do you think driving on the roads is a right and not a privilege? Based on the number of auto related deaths per year, I certainly don’t think driving should be considered a God-given right to man. I think it is definitely something that should be heavily monitored in terms of who gets to drive and who doesn’t.

Your use of free roads is granted by your taxes, I agree. But not because your taxes helped build those roads, but because of their upkeep.

If you want the laws changed the vote. Make a stink somewhere other than an online forum. Choose to NOT follow the law, but don’t be pissed off when it bites you in the ass.

Actually, I don’t think many of us are saying that we think the laws are entirely fair, but that this particular law, which is easy, oh so easy, to follow, isn’t a hassle. But if you are aware of the law, you cannot be pissed off when a cop decides to call you on breaking it. You can be pissed off that it exists, but the cop is just doing his damn job.

For the record, thehebrewheros advice is good in that it can get you out of plenty of tickets, but it’s shitty because it’s gaming the system and people can get out of shit that actually does endanger people. Like excessive speeding and broken tail/headlights.

Edit: Also, most of the cops I’ve talked to like going to court for tickets because they get paid time and a half for it. So, there is that. If you take it to court and the officer shows up, chances are you’ll lose so you’ll also have to pay the fee for your court cost.

[quote]nkklllll wrote:
Actually, I don’t think many of us are saying that we think the laws are entirely fair, but that this particular law, which is easy, oh so easy, to follow, isn’t a hassle. But if you are aware of the law, you cannot be pissed off when a cop decides to call you on breaking it. You can be pissed off that it exists, but the cop is just doing his damn job. [/quote]

Again, +1 to this.

To be fair, AC did hint at this, too. If you’re pissed, be pissed at the governor, mayor, etc…the people who actually are in charge of passing and creating laws, and ordinances, and whatever. But calling the police “faggots” for actually enforcing the laws that exist? Especially something as simple as a ticket for driving with an expired registration? Really?

Jaywalking ticket in Los Angeles = $190 - $250. Talk about legalized theft by the city.

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:

[quote]nkklllll wrote:
Actually, I don’t think many of us are saying that we think the laws are entirely fair, but that this particular law, which is easy, oh so easy, to follow, isn’t a hassle. But if you are aware of the law, you cannot be pissed off when a cop decides to call you on breaking it. You can be pissed off that it exists, but the cop is just doing his damn job. [/quote]

Again, +1 to this.

To be fair, AC did hint at this, too. If you’re pissed, be pissed at the governor, mayor, etc…the people who actually are in charge of passing and creating laws, and ordinances, and whatever. But calling the police “faggots” for actually enforcing the laws that exist? Especially something as simple as a ticket for driving with an expired registration? Really?[/quote]

If they stopped at a ticket, that would be one thing. Here in the wonderful county of Fairfax, VA, the last time I was pulled over for not having the current little sticker, the cop had my car towed and impounded (after of course they illegally searched it for “inventory” so they knew what they were illegally stealing). Cost me almost $500.

“AC, you should have registered your car”. I DID. I did it online and was waiting for the sticker in the mail. I HAD PAID FOR IT. I had my receipt. The officer didn’t care. It was a black and white issue for her.

The police work FOR US. OUR TAXES pay their fucking salary. So we are basically PAYING a group of thugs to fuck with us and harass us over shit we all don’t agree with. Here’s two scenarios:

Scenario #1: Cop pulls me over. “Mr. AC, I don’t know if you are aware of it or not, but your registration is expired. Please get that fixed or the next time I’ll be issuing you a fine.” My reply, “Thank you for bringing that to my attention, officer, I’ll address it directly”. I get my shit handled, and I feel like I’ve been protected and served.

Scenario #2: Cop pulls me over. “Mr. AC, I don’t know if you are aware of it or not, but your registration is expired. Please get out of the vehicle as it is illegal for you to be driving it.” My reply, “but officer, I’ve paid for my registration online, here is the receipt, I’m just waiting for the sticker to arrive”. Cop says, “Sorry, Mr. AC, you do not have the proper stickers displayed and I cannot allow you to continue to operate your vehicle.” Cop tows my shit, ransacks my trunk looking for something to arrest me for, writes down two or three things so they can call it “inventory”, my plans for the day are fucked, costs me an arm and a leg to resolve the situation, leaves me with one more reason to hate cops.

NOW, given that we PAY for their salary and they are supposed to be protecting and SERVING, and not using bullshit infractions as a revenue generating strategy, which scenario would say is more productive to positive police/citizen/community relations?

How do YOU want to be treated?

[quote]nkklllll wrote:
For the record, thehebrewheros advice is good in that it can get you out of plenty of tickets, but it’s shitty because it’s gaming the system and people can get out of shit that actually does endanger people. Like excessive speeding and broken tail/headlights.

Edit: Also, most of the cops I’ve talked to like going to court for tickets because they get paid time and a half for it. So, there is that. If you take it to court and the officer shows up, chances are you’ll lose so you’ll also have to pay the fee for your court cost.[/quote]

How is it shitty to game a system that is rigged against the average citizen to extract even MORE money than we already pay?

And why the fuck should anyone have to PAY court costs? Last time I checked, the salary of the Judge and officers of the court are paid for with my TAXES and the FINES generated by the offense. Has anyone stopped to think that maybe, just MAYBE the system is being a LITTLE BIT overzealous?

I mean what happens if you can’t pay your court costs over a minor traffic violation? OOOOHHHH, RIIIIIGHT… They LOCK YOU UP.

Wonderfully fair system we have here…

It doesn’t strike ANYONE as odd that we are so conditioned that you feel righteously indignant because “I pay MY taxes, fines, fees, etc… so why should ANYONE bitch about it”? I mean, these bullshit fines and fees are not fucking cool, guys…

Imagine a world where you didn’t have to worry about being fined and possibly imprisoned over a broken tail light… Sounds like a world I’d rather live in…

[quote]nkklllll wrote:

Again, +1 to this.

To be fair, AC did hint at this, too. If you’re pissed, be pissed at the governor, mayor, etc…the people who actually are in charge of passing and creating laws, and ordinances, and whatever. But calling the police “faggots” for actually enforcing the laws that exist? Especially something as simple as a ticket for driving with an expired registration? Really?[/quote]

If they stopped at a ticket, that would be one thing. Here in the wonderful county of Fairfax, VA, the last time I was pulled over for not having the current little sticker, the cop had my car towed and impounded (after of course they illegally searched it for “inventory” so they knew what they were illegally stealing). Cost me almost $500.

“AC, you should have registered your car”. I DID. I did it online and was waiting for the sticker in the mail. I HAD PAID FOR IT. I had my receipt. The officer didn’t care. It was a black and white issue for her.

The police work FOR US. OUR TAXES pay their fucking salary. So we are basically PAYING a group of thugs to fuck with us and harass us over shit we all don’t agree with. Here’s two scenarios:

Scenario #1: Cop pulls me over. “Mr. AC, I don’t know if you are aware of it or not, but your registration is expired. Please get that fixed or the next time I’ll be issuing you a fine.” My reply, “Thank you for bringing that to my attention, officer, I’ll address it directly”. I get my shit handled, and I feel like I’ve been protected and served.

Scenario #2: Cop pulls me over. “Mr. AC, I don’t know if you are aware of it or not, but your registration is expired. Please get out of the vehicle as it is illegal for you to be driving it.” My reply, “but officer, I’ve paid for my registration online, here is the receipt, I’m just waiting for the sticker to arrive”. Cop says, “Sorry, Mr. AC, you do not have the proper stickers displayed and I cannot allow you to continue to operate your vehicle.” Cop tows my shit, ransacks my trunk looking for something to arrest me for, writes down two or three things so they can call it “inventory”, my plans for the day are fucked, costs me an arm and a leg to resolve the situation, leaves me with one more reason to hate cops.

NOW, given that we PAY for their salary and they are supposed to be protecting and SERVING, and not using bullshit infractions as a revenue generating strategy, which scenario would say is more productive to positive police/citizen/community relations?

How do YOU want to be treated?[/quote]

Didn’t they get rid of the “to protect and serve”?

Google search
https://www.google.ca/search?num=50&safe=off&espv=2&q=police+no+duty+to+protect+and+serve&oq=police+no+duty+to+protect+and+serve&gs_l=serp.3..33i21.23826.28471.0.28601.35.20.0.0.0.0.386.2145.0j5j3j2.10.0.msedr...0...1c.1.64.serp..26.9.2021.yIJPV3jwaJY

https://www.firearmsandliberty.com/kasler-protection.html

I’d suggest a law that does make it a requirement. Not sure what would be involved, but it’s probably high time to start passing laws that people actually want.

I’ve been waiting for someone to say it, so I’ll just do it:
If you hate the laws so much AC, why don’t you move to Somalia?

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
[/quote]

Hey, he’s just a felon without a high school diploma, how do you expect him to get all the way to Somalia?

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
[/quote]

Hey, he’s just a felon without a high school diploma, how do you expect him to get all the way to Somalia?[/quote]

LOL

I’ve actually seriously considered ex patting. But if I did, the exit tax would be excessive. I have too many assets. I would literally lose nearly everything I’ve spent the last 20 year working for. And the way the US beats up international banks in other countries (sticking their fucking nose where it doesn’t belong), as a US citizen, I couldn’t even “legally” get an account anywhere “safe” to protect my assets.

I’ve explored other methods such as precious metals and diamonds, but the conversion back is shady as fuck as well. There really isn’t a clean way to do it without doing some seriously illegal shit to hide your assets or get bent the fuck over by the government where they literally confiscate all of your shit before you go.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

[quote]nkklllll wrote:

Again, +1 to this.

How do YOU want to be treated?[/quote]

Didn’t they get rid of the “to protect and serve”?

Google search
https://www.google.ca/search?num=50&safe=off&espv=2&q=police+no+duty+to+protect+and+serve&oq=police+no+duty+to+protect+and+serve&gs_l=serp.3..33i21.23826.28471.0.28601.35.20.0.0.0.0.386.2145.0j5j3j2.10.0.msedr...0...1c.1.64.serp..26.9.2021.yIJPV3jwaJY

https://www.firearmsandliberty.com/kasler-protection.html

I’d suggest a law that does make it a requirement. Not sure what would be involved, but it’s probably high time to start passing laws that people actually want.[/quote]

I never got what was so hard about this.

As long as they are sheep dogs, there are more than enough of them.

If they start acting like an occupying army, not really.

There are 30000 cops in Austria, protecting 8 million.

Lets say they turned into something else.

They would be completely surrounded.

In a country where almost half of all households have firearms.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
[/quote]

Hey, he’s just a felon without a high school diploma, how do you expect him to get all the way to Somalia?[/quote]

LOL

I’ve actually seriously considered ex patting. But if I did, the exit tax would be excessive. I have too many assets. I would literally lose nearly everything I’ve spent the last 20 year working for. And the way the US beats up international banks in other countries (sticking their fucking nose where it doesn’t belong), as a US citizen, I couldn’t even “legally” get an account anywhere “safe” to protect my assets.

I’ve explored other methods such as precious metals and diamonds, but the conversion back is shady as fuck as well. There really isn’t a clean way to do it without doing some seriously illegal shit to hide your assets or get bent the fuck over by the government where they literally confiscate all of your shit before you go.[/quote]

I’ve heard people hire smart lawyers to form a corporation off shore, owned 49% by you, 49% by your wife and 1% by your children. Transfer money thereto as your capital investment to purchase the stock of said company.

Also helps in getting a visa to work in said destination company.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
[/quote]

LOL

I’ve explored other methods such as precious metals and diamonds, but the conversion back is shady as fuck as well. There really isn’t a clean way to do it without doing some seriously illegal shit to hide your assets or get bent the fuck over by the government where they literally confiscate all of your shit before you go.[/quote]

I’ve heard people hire smart lawyers to form a corporation off shore, owned 49% by you, 49% by your wife and 1% by your children. Transfer money thereto as your capital investment to purchase the stock of said company.

Also helps in getting a visa to work in said destination company.[/quote]

I have also learned that in some countries you throw 250k their way in the form of an investment and they will totally give you a passport.

I think the internet and current tax laws leave loopholes you can drive a truck through.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
[/quote]

LOL

I have also learned that in some countries you throw 250k their way in the form of an investment and they will totally give you a passport.

I think the internet and current tax laws leave loopholes you can drive a truck through. [/quote]

Yes, and it’s a glorious thing. Such silly laws have paid for braces for 6/8 daughters so far and created my own need for 49% owned corporations.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
[/quote]

LOL

Can I have the extra 1%?

Ac is 100% right these municipal violations are out of control. The attitude of the laws the law your bad pay & obey is obviously coming from a world of no experience. Theres old grandmas doing jail time in private run jails over minor traffic tickets they simply couldnt pay. And most of these non moving violations are given out in low income areas. It falls under the “neighborhood improvent guise” if you think im full of shit let your tags expire and park in a poor area, then park the car in a nice area. See which gets ticked first. See bros the municipal system is a money machine gone crazy. Im all for capitalism but it has no place in criminal justice. The municipal system is now pretty much the buy here pay here car lot of the legal system. Or more like a payday loan spot. Becuase heres why

1)good ol officers who are infallible have quotas for violations
2) fines are higher now
3) private probation companies monitor folks with all kinds of extra fees, classes, ect & municipalities get a piece of the action. Best of all these companies for the most part make their own rules
4) my personal fav private detention centers (largely unregulated) pay municipalities for inmates. This is great for municipal system thats chalked full of broke people struggling pay inflated fines & fees. But its not debtors prison thats illegal right?
5) municipal prosecutors have a 90% conviction rate…seems high but in municpal court they often dont have jury trials just a judge trial. Combo that with a shitty public defender & dog shit plea deals and walla
This is whats commonly known as the “fuck barrel” so I hope you pretentious taints dont find your self in it. You will have a hard time serving 2 weeks in a private jail where you share a pod (12 dudes 1 toilet) & only eat bolgna sandwitches & kool aid over a minor infraction. I kinda dont think this is what George Washington had in mind. But what do I know im just a asshole

It doesn’t strike ANYONE as odd that we are so conditioned that you feel righteously indignant because “I pay MY taxes, fines, fees, etc… so why should ANYONE bitch about it”? I mean, these bullshit fines and fees are not fucking cool, guys…

Imagine a world where you didn’t have to worry about being fined and possibly imprisoned over a broken tail light… Sounds like a world I’d rather live in…[/quote]

Most of these fines happen because if they didn’t exist, people WOULDN’T get it fixed. You might be a decent person, but there are enough cheap bastards and indecent people that I think a lot of these things are necessary. For instance, there is a law that dictates at which angle your headlights can shine, so that you don’t blind the people in front of you. Lot’s of people, when they get their vehicles lifted, don’t adjust this. It’s a dick move because now I can’t see out of my rearview or side mirrors, so I can’t change lanes safely.

Or that broken tail light. Or driving with your headlights off at night. Not signaling when you make a lane change, speeding, etc. These things are MEANT to inconvenience you and piss you off so that YOU DON’T DO THEM. If you don’t do them, you’re safer. The people around you are safer.

I agree that getting your car towed when your car was technically currently registered is bs, and I hope you fought it because I’m pretty sure you have a grace period as long as you paid for them BEFORE your registration expired.