How Can I Fight a Ticket I Got ...

while car was parked at work the local cops ticketed the car for expired regis…is this allowed???legal??etc.
gladstone pd.nj

Was the registration expired? If so, then yes. It is allowed.

If your registration wasn’t expired, but you just didn’t put the tag on the car, bring your updated registration to the courthouse (and put the tags on the car) and the case will usually get thrown out.

If your registration is actually expired, you should probably renew it, or risk another ticket.

[quote]phatphit wrote:
while car was parked at work the local cops ticketed the car for expired regis…is this allowed???legal??etc.
gladstone pd faggots.[/quote]

Is the parking at your work private property? If so, I don’t think they should be able to ticket you unless they saw you on the road and followed you in. I’m no expert though.

[quote]phatphit wrote:
gladstone pd faggots.[/quote]

Recent scandals about unnecessary violence aside, the police aren’t “faggots” for doing their job.

If you don’t like it, maybe don’t drive a car with an expired registration?

Gladstone mo? If so yeah they are bitches… they do this all over kc lucky they didnt tow yur shit. Better pay it or they will put a lean on yur license & and a bench warant on yur ass. Been locked up a few times in kc they are hurting for money & ticket everything bro. Only way you can fight it is if it was in a private driveway.
Ive beaten this a few times heres the trick.

1. get as many continuance as possible
  2. when in court holler out the officers name…if hes not there proceed with not guilty plea. Judge will drop ticket if cops not their to protest it.
  3. if prosecutor ask judge for contiunce tell him/her you took off work to be there and you have came while sick. The judge will dismiss it unless they are total dicks.
  4. if cops there ask for contiunce, or do your best to argue and take yur chance

This works 4 me all the time especially downtown where its packed & cops are bz

[quote]phatphit wrote:
gladstone pd.[/quote]

Are you a cop?

[quote]phatphit wrote:
gladstone pd.[/quote]

Just a ticket? In CT expired registration mean they write you a ticket while the tow truck pulls your car to inpound. Almost every town has plate scanners so the cops just wait for the beep on their computer then the fucking commences. They won’t even let you use AAA to cover the tow. It happened to my wife right before Christmas. She was esentially “detained” by the side of the road for hours at night in 30 degree weather becuase the cops couldn’t sort out some internal paperwork. Results, a nice $500 (ticket, tow, reg, etc) or so kick in the nuts because she didn’t open her mail. CT cops are asshats. If you were able to drive home you were lucky.

[quote]thehebrewhero wrote:
Gladstone mo? If so yeah they are bitches… they do this all over kc lucky they didnt tow yur shit. Better pay it or they will put a lean on yur license & and a bench warant on yur ass. Been locked up a few times in kc they are hurting for money & ticket everything bro. Only way you can fight it is if it was in a private driveway.

2. when in court holler out the officers name…if hes not there proceed with not guilty plea. Judge will drop ticket if cops not their to protest it.
  3. if prosecutor ask judge for contiunce tell him/her you took off work to be there and you have came while sick. The judge will dismiss it unless they are total dicks.
  4. if cops there ask for contiunce, or do your best to argue and take yur chance

This works 4 me all the time especially downtown where its packed & cops are bz[/quote]

I tried this and wrote some stuff last night that didn’t make it through on my phone.

My municipality does a separate arraignment and trial, even for traffic court, so you plead not guilty then have to show up for your trial. I was getting all excited when I didn’t see the officer in the courtroom when I showed up on the date of the ticket.

I ended up getting the fine waived but I still had to pay court costs which were $100, pretty close to what the fine actually was.

It’s a racket designed to bring in revenue pure and simple.

[quote]TheKraken wrote:

[quote]phatphit wrote:
gladstone pd.[/quote]

Just a ticket? In CT expired registration mean they write you a ticket while the tow truck pulls your car to inpound. Almost every town has plate scanners so the cops just wait for the beep on their computer then the fucking commences. They won’t even let you use AAA to cover the tow. It happened to my wife right before Christmas. She was esentially “detained” by the side of the road for hours at night in 30 degree weather becuase the cops couldn’t sort out some internal paperwork. Results, a nice $500 (ticket, tow, reg, etc) or so kick in the nuts because she didn’t open her mail. CT cops are asshats. If you were able to drive home you were lucky. [/quote]

Or you could, you know, follow the law and get your registration updated in time?

If your vehicle is unregistered then any insurance you have including third party is void. If you had an at fault accident that killed someone or caused millions in damage you could find yourself doing hard time.

no shit. if i knew it was expired i wouldnt have driven it. its wifes car btw. these cops r wack. they have nothing to do but drive thru lot looking for violations. quota…revenue.$$$$$

[quote]phatphit wrote:
no shit. if i knew it was expired i wouldnt have driven it. its wifes car btw. these cops r wack. they have nothing to do but drive thru lot looking for violations. quota…revenue.$$$$$[/quote]

So you didn’t keep yourself up to date on the vehicles in your family’s possession, and broke the law, albeit unknowingly (though you still knew about the law), and you’re blaming the cops?

[quote]thehebrewhero wrote:

This works 4 me all the time especially downtown where its packed & cops are bz[/quote]

I live in KC. I haven’t gotten a ticket in over 10 years… granted - I keep my shit legal, don’t park where I shouldn’t, and generally don’t break the law (never more than 5 over). But that’s just me.

OP - just pay the ticket, pay the registration and late filing fees, and keep your shit legal. It was a non-moving violation and shouldn’t have any impact on your points.

[quote]nkklllll wrote:

[quote]phatphit wrote:
no shit. if i knew it was expired i wouldnt have driven it. its wifes car btw. these cops r wack. they have nothing to do but drive thru lot looking for violations. quota…revenue.$$$$$[/quote]

So you didn’t keep yourself up to date on the vehicles in your family’s possession, and broke the law, albeit unknowingly (though you still knew about the law), and you’re blaming the cops?
[/quote]
Typical attitude of Americans these days. Blame everybody else but themselves

Suck it up, pay the fine and the registration. Surely you never saw the registration never come in the mail?

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:

[quote]nkklllll wrote:

[quote]phatphit wrote:

[/quote]

Suck it up, pay the fine and the registration. Surely you never saw the registration never come in the mail?[/quote]

Yeah, a bit ridiculous. Not sure if Americans really have a monopoly on this attitude though…

Really seems like the guy got a break to me. Didn’t get towed/impounded, which would be extremely likely in many areas (not to mention was fortunate enough not to have been in an accident and/or caused/suffered any injuries while uninsured).

Police took pretty basic enforcement action as per their mandate. Uninsured drivers put themselves and others at risk. This is pretty basic grown up stuff. Not sure what people really expect. Driving is a privelege with certain conditions attached. If you screw up and breach one of those conditions, intentionally or not, you pay a penalty. This is no secret.

Most of us screw up from time to time. Sometimes we get away with it, sometimes we don’t. If/when this happens, suck it up and pay your freight instead of trying to jam up the court’s time running some BS game. Just take your lumps and get on with it.

[quote]nkklllll wrote:

[quote]phatphit wrote:

[/quote]

Suck it up, pay the fine and the registration. Surely you never saw the registration never come in the mail?[/quote]

I mean, I understand that some laws inconvenience me. And I admit to speeding, jay walking, etc. And if I get a ticket for it I’ll accept the crime. It’s my own damn fault.

[quote]nkklllll wrote:

[quote]nkklllll wrote:

[quote]phatphit wrote:

[/quote]

I mean, I understand that some laws inconvenience me. And I admit to speeding, jay walking, etc. And if I get a ticket for it I’ll accept the crime. It’s my own damn fault.[/quote]

+1

I think the posts above sum up my attitude perfectly (hence my first post that needled the OP about maybe not driving with an expired registration). Whatever happened to just taking your medicine when you do something wrong?

I think the absolute best thing my parents did in raising my brother and me was being consistent in discipline. What I mean be that is not that they were horrifying child-beaters - that doesn’t work - but if they made a rule, they enforced it, or if get told us “do it one more time and X happens” and we did it one more time, X actually happened. As such, we learned that actions had consequences, and whether we liked the rules or not, we learned to abide by them

I think too many adults were not properly disciplined as children (again, since someone will misinterpret: the presence/absence of physical violence does NOT indicate proper discipline) and have grown up with the attitude that a) the rules don’t REALLY apply to them and b) if they throw enough of a tantrum they’ll get what they want.

Probably a separate thread, I apologize for the diversion.

So can I write a pissy post about the IRS coming down on me if I don’t pay my taxes?

Thread: How can I Fight the IRS for the taxes I didn’t pay

My registration expired (renewal notice didn’t come, probably due to a move) and my boyfriend was ticketed driving my car. He was irritated with me, not the cop. As I would have been him if the roles had been reversed.

thehebrewhero, every time I read a post of yours, I cringe. You sound like a complete tool.