How Can I Fight a Ticket I Got ...

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
If your vehicle is unregistered then any insurance you have including third party is void. If you had an at fault accident that killed someone or caused millions in damage you could find yourself doing hard time.[/quote]

Maybe true in some states, but highly doubtful. In fact, I am almost sure this is wrong in all states.

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]phatphit wrote:
while car was parked at work the local cops ticketed the car for expired regis…is this allowed???legal??etc.
gladstone pd faggots.[/quote]

Is the parking at your work private property? If so, I don’t think they should be able to ticket you unless they saw you on the road and followed you in. I’m no expert though.[/quote]

I’d be curious about that, as well. Can they ticket you for an unregistered car sitting in your garage?

Registration is legally a fee to use the roads. If it is private property, I’d be curious if it is illegal. Of course, now there are cases where a guy is asleep in the back seat of his car, which is off, in a store parking lot, and he gets a DWI. So who knows.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
If your vehicle is unregistered then any insurance you have including third party is void. If you had an at fault accident that killed someone or caused millions in damage you could find yourself doing hard time.[/quote]

Maybe true in some states, but highly doubtful. In fact, I am almost sure this is wrong in all states.[/quote]

In MD I believe it’s the opposite. No insurance and the registration becomes void. I could be wrong though.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

Maybe true in some states, but highly doubtful. In fact, I am almost sure this is wrong in all states.[/quote]

In MD I believe it’s the opposite. No insurance and the registration becomes void. I could be wrong though. [/quote]

That’s pretty standard – the policy idea being that everyone needs liability insurance to be on the road, so they make sure you have insurance before registering.

It makes no policy sense to punish an innocent person (e.g., the schlimazel you hit) because you don’t pay $150 to the tax man by taking away the insurance that would pay him.

[quote]theuofh wrote:

[quote]thehebrewhero wrote:
Gladstone mo? If so yeah they are bitches… they do this all over kc lucky they didnt tow yur shit. Better pay it or they will put a lean on yur license & and a bench warant on yur ass. Been locked up a few times in kc they are hurting for money & ticket everything bro. Only way you can fight it is if it was in a private driveway.
Ive beaten this a few times heres the trick.

1. get as many continuance as possible
  2. when in court holler out the officers name…if hes not there proceed with not guilty plea. Judge will drop ticket if cops not their to protest it.
  3. if prosecutor ask judge for contiunce tell him/her you took off work to be there and you have came while sick. The judge will dismiss it unless they are total dicks.
  4. if cops there ask for contiunce, or do your best to argue and take yur chance

This works 4 me all the time especially downtown where its packed & cops are bz[/quote]

I tried this and wrote some stuff last night that didn’t make it through on my phone.

My municipality does a separate arraignment and trial, even for traffic court, so you plead not guilty then have to show up for your trial. I was getting all excited when I didn’t see the officer in the courtroom when I showed up on the date of the ticket.

I ended up getting the fine waived but I still had to pay court costs which were $100, pretty close to what the fine actually was.

It’s a racket designed to bring in revenue pure and simple.
[/quote]

True that bro but his might be the other way… Anyhow its always worth a shot. Works 70% IMO…You can usually get the continuances over the phone or on website sometimes. Also if you are really dead set about paying it just ask for a payment plan they do that shit all the time. These days they dont fuck around so the days of not paying and just ridding out traffic bench warrants are over they want every penny. I live where he does so I know… Sat in jail for 2hrs over a $10 seat belt ticket last year fucking gay… KCMO may let you slide since they have real shit but not Gladstone

$100 court cost, jezz, ours are like $25 iirc.

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:

[quote]nkklllll wrote:

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:

[quote]nkklllll wrote:

[quote]phatphit wrote:
no shit. if i knew it was expired i wouldnt have driven it. its wifes car btw. these cops r wack. they have nothing to do but drive thru lot looking for violations. quota…revenue.$$$$$[/quote]

So you didn’t keep yourself up to date on the vehicles in your family’s possession, and broke the law, albeit unknowingly (though you still knew about the law), and you’re blaming the cops?
[/quote]
Typical attitude of Americans these days. Blame everybody else but themselves

Suck it up, pay the fine and the registration. Surely you never saw the registration never come in the mail?[/quote]

I mean, I understand that some laws inconvenience me. And I admit to speeding, jay walking, etc. And if I get a ticket for it I’ll accept the crime. It’s my own damn fault.[/quote]

+1

I think the posts above sum up my attitude perfectly (hence my first post that needled the OP about maybe not driving with an expired registration). Whatever happened to just taking your medicine when you do something wrong?

I think the absolute best thing my parents did in raising my brother and me was being consistent in discipline. What I mean be that is not that they were horrifying child-beaters - that doesn’t work - but if they made a rule, they enforced it, or if get told us “do it one more time and X happens” and we did it one more time, X actually happened. As such, we learned that actions had consequences, and whether we liked the rules or not, we learned to abide by them

I think too many adults were not properly disciplined as children (again, since someone will misinterpret: the presence/absence of physical violence does NOT indicate proper discipline) and have grown up with the attitude that a) the rules don’t REALLY apply to them and b) if they throw enough of a tantrum they’ll get what they want.

Probably a separate thread, I apologize for the diversion.
[/quote]

I’ve had 1 speeding ticket. I was doing 84mph in the fast lane and knew I was speeding. Cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket amounting to about 400. The only thing that pissed me off was that the guy who blew passed me doing at least 95 wasn’t caught. I did my traffic school, paid my fee and went on my way. Doesn’t mean I don’t still speed on my way to work occasionally. And if I get ticketed again I’ll pay that fine too.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]phatphit wrote:
while car was parked at work the local cops ticketed the car for expired regis…is this allowed???legal??etc.
gladstone pd faggots.[/quote]

Is the parking at your work private property? If so, I don’t think they should be able to ticket you unless they saw you on the road and followed you in. I’m no expert though.[/quote]

I’d be curious about that, as well. Can they ticket you for an unregistered car sitting in your garage?

Registration is legally a fee to use the roads. If it is private property, I’d be curious if it is illegal. Of course, now there are cases where a guy is asleep in the back seat of his car, which is off, in a store parking lot, and he gets a DWI. So who knows.[/quote]

The guy who is sitting in his car on private property while impaired has committed a criminal offence and it doesn’t matter if it happened on private property or a public highway. The registration ticket issued on private property without knowing who was operating the vehicle is fishy to me, but might be legal in that jurisdiction.

[quote]Will207 wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:
Of course, now there are cases where a guy is asleep in the back seat of his car, which is off, in a store parking lot, and he gets a DWI. So who knows.[/quote]

The guy who is sitting in his car on private property while impaired has committed a criminal offence and it doesn’t matter if it happened on private property or a public highway. [/quote]

Really? A guy asleep in the backseat is guilty of DWI? How so?

(You are partially correct in at least one state, but I do want to hear your reasoning.)

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]Will207 wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:
Of course, now there are cases where a guy is asleep in the back seat of his car, which is off, in a store parking lot, and he gets a DWI. So who knows.[/quote]

The guy who is sitting in his car on private property while impaired has committed a criminal offence and it doesn’t matter if it happened on private property or a public highway. [/quote]

(You are partially correct in at least one state, but I do want to hear your reasoning.)
[/quote]

Sorry, I missed the part about the guy being in the back seat. However, if he was in the front seat of the car it could be argued he was in care and control of the vehicle and that is a criminal offence in some jurisdictions.

[quote]Will207 wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]Will207 wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[/quote]

Sorry, I missed the part about the guy being in the back seat. However, if he was in the front seat of the car it could be argued he was in care and control of the vehicle and that is a criminal offence in some jurisdictions.

[/quote]

This happened to someone I know (in Canada). Had a few too many. Opted to sleep it off in his truck, keys in his pocket. Not sure if he was in the front seat or the back. Woke up to a police officer at the window and an impaired charge. In the vehicle + in possession of the keys = care and control. Actually seems a bit heavy handed to me, but apparently them’s the rules…

Edited

[quote]Will207 wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]Will207 wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]
I thought it was a DWI if you fell asleep in the car with the keys in the ignition, even if the car was off.

^it is. At least in southern california

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

Ok. Pretty sure it’s as I said in Aus.

So WHO exactly made it “the rules” that a person NOT DRIVING while impaired get’s charged with a DUI? How is that acceptable that a person who made A RESPONSIBLE CHOICE to “sleep it off” in the safety and comfort of his own vehicle get’s charged (costing him thousands of dollars to fight and still probably get’s a conviction)? HE DIDN’T DRIVE…

WHO made “the rules” that allowed the STATE to deprive the hebrew hero of his liberty and arrest and detain him for two hours like a criminal for a $10.00 fine?

WHO made “the rules” that a piece of property that YOU OWN need’s to be “registered” with the STATE?

WHO made it “the rules” that if you move and take this piece of property that YOU OWN to a different state, you can be fined, have your property stolen and impounded BY THE STATE, have warrants issued, arrested and imprisoned because you didn’t pay a minor fee?

WHO made “the rules” that gave the STATE the authority to detain TheKraken’s wife FOR HOURS while THEY sorted out THEIR paperwork over a NON CRIMINAL OFFENSE?

WHO made “the rules” that gives a court the power to issue court costs when someone is found not guilty?

Each and every one of you who takes the attitude of, “Hey, suck it up - that’s the price you pay for driving a vehicle” Or, “take your lumps and move on” Or, “don’t get mad at cops for doing their jobs, you are LUCKY you got to drive home” ARE FUCKING SHEEP.

Why is it OK with you that the state is empowered to systematically fuck us in the ass? None of us voted for these laws. These laws and fines are rammed down our collective throats by a government who needs money to feed itself. More laws = more fines = more revenue = more government = more laws, ad infinitum…

Well if you don’t like it, don’t drive on the roads, you say? WHAT PLANET ARE YOU ON? My taxes PAY for those fucking roads. Every time I fill up, I contribute to the highway fund. I have EVERY RIGHT to drive anywhere the fuck I want to without being harassed by the state.

The fact that the general attitude is that “it’s YOUR fault, the state has done nothing wrong here”, scares the shit out of me.

What’s it going to be like in another twenty years? I mean the state needs revenue, right? A toll on every block? How about a thousand dollar fine for not using a turn signal? Will you attitude be the same then? If you don’t like it, don’t drive?

Here’s a novel idea: how about if you don’t like it, CHANGE THE LAW and FIRE the legislator/executive who keeps funding this corrupt police department?

Fucking sheeple…

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

thehebrewhero, every time I read a post of yours, I cringe. You sound like a complete tool. [/quote]

My dear, while THH may have had a few questionable threads/posts in the past, I dare say he is the one who has given the best advice on the topic of this thread… just sayin’…

The court/justice system is corrupt and designed for ONE THING: to remove money from the pockets of average citizens going about their day. If he has offered a sound strategy that will not cost the average person a bunch of money to defend against the financial assault of the State, why on earth would you cringe?

Personally, I’m grateful for the free advice… I like my money. I don’t like the State taking from me. I paid over 90K in taxes last year, they got enough.

[quote] angry chicken wrote:

WHO made “the rules” that a piece of property that YOU OWN need’s to be “registered” with the STATE?

[/quote]

You don’t have to register it. Only if you wish to drive it on public roads.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

thehebrewhero, every time I read a post of yours, I cringe. You sound like a complete tool. [/quote]

My dear, while THH may have had a few questionable threads/posts in the past, I dare say he is the one who has given the best advice on the topic of this thread… just sayin’…
[/quote]

I can’t take anything he writes without a few grains of salt…

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
So WHO exactly made it “the rules” that a person NOT DRIVING while impaired get’s charged with a DUI? How is that acceptable that a person who made A RESPONSIBLE CHOICE to “sleep it off” in the safety and comfort of his own vehicle get’s charged (costing him thousands of dollars to fight and still probably get’s a conviction)? HE DIDN’T DRIVE…

WHO made “the rules” that allowed the STATE to deprive the hebrew hero of his liberty and arrest and detain him for two hours like a criminal for a $10.00 fine?

WHO made it “the rules” that if you move and take this piece of property that YOU OWN to a different state, you can be fined, have your property stolen and impounded BY THE STATE, have warrants issued, arrested and imprisoned because you didn’t pay a minor fee?

WHO made “the rules” that gave the STATE the authority to detain TheKraken’s wife FOR HOURS while THEY sorted out THEIR paperwork over a NON CRIMINAL OFFENSE?

WHO made “the rules” that gives a court the power to issue court costs when someone is found not guilty?

Each and every one of you who takes the attitude of, “Hey, suck it up - that’s the price you pay for driving a vehicle” Or, “take your lumps and move on” Or, “don’t get mad at cops for doing their jobs, you are LUCKY you got to drive home” ARE FUCKING SHEEP.

Why is it OK with you that the state is empowered to systematically fuck us in the ass? None of us voted for these laws. These laws and fines are rammed down our collective throats by a government who needs money to feed itself. More laws = more fines = more revenue = more government = more laws, ad infinitum…

Well if you don’t like it, don’t drive on the roads, you say? WHAT PLANET ARE YOU ON? My taxes PAY for those fucking roads. Every time I fill up, I contribute to the highway fund. I have EVERY RIGHT to drive anywhere the fuck I want to without being harassed by the state.

The fact that the general attitude is that “it’s YOUR fault, the state has done nothing wrong here”, scares the shit out of me.

What’s it going to be like in another twenty years? I mean the state needs revenue, right? A toll on every block? How about a thousand dollar fine for not using a turn signal? Will you attitude be the same then? If you don’t like it, don’t drive?

Here’s a novel idea: how about if you don’t like it, CHANGE THE LAW and FIRE the legislator/executive who keeps funding this corrupt police department?

Fucking sheeple…[/quote]

Well said AC, but I wish you didn’t go in this direction because now I have to rant…

This lay down and take your government buggering or the terrorist win attitude has got to stop. Government is supposed to serve the public, not the other way around. Many of my towns’ police walk around in BDU pants bloused into their boots, well they generally don’t walk anywhere because…they drive black cars and trucks with black windows that are barely marked like gangsters. Intimidation seems to be the goal here, and protect and serve are things of the past. I don’t think all cops are bad people, but the general feel of the force is not good.

There seems to be a lot of GI Joe fantasy happening here. I’m an aging Silverback, 6ft 1, SHW, but the last year at CRAFT FAIR a young kind of small officer gave me a random stare down…AT A CRAFT FAIR! Not a “I could take that old guy look” but a “I want to kill you because you dared to make eye contact” look 'cause I’m on my 4rth Monster today and I haven’t kicked any ass yet. And to top it off, the roads around my area are barely maintained. Many of the roads in Hartford, the capital of the state, 2 miles from my house, look like they were carpet bombed.

There are craters deep enough to take a bath in, but if my car is damaged by them, who will pay for the repairs? We have some of the highest income, property, and gas taxes yet…the roads look like something out of a warzone. This is why this whole confiscating property because of an administrative oversight is bullshit.

It’s a money grab. In the town I work in, they were setting up another roadside sting at 8:00 AM this morning right in front of a technical school. They’re picking the low hanging fruit and high-fiving each other for it. It seems their target is people trying get an education so they can become actual citizens who might have a chance of supporting their family and contributing something to society. Where are those cops at 2:00 AM when the gas station a block away got robbed? Probably playing Call of Duty and calling it training.

I’m with AC and Kraken on this.

If you think taking citizen’s money is just some non-sense, here’s an investigative report into stop and seize programs

There’s actually a group that trains police to increase their revenue through these tactics. So if you think it’s just random chance, I would say you’re mistaken.