Venison sucks though, make jerky out of that.[/quote]

Bro i love buffalo meat i eat it all the time from whole foods or costco

[quote]yoitspmart wrote:

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:
Btw, I dont get why there isnt more people eating buffalo meat[/quote]
I love buffalo and elk.

Bro i love buffalo meat i eat it all the time from whole foods or costco[/quote]

i like it. lean and has a certain flavor like most wild meats. just too expensive where i’ve seen.

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:
I love buffalo and elk.

This. Used to go to a place for Elk brauts all the time when i lived in Denver.

[quote]BlueLineCretin wrote:

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:
I love buffalo and elk.

This. Used to go to a place for Elk brauts all the time when i lived in Denver. [/quote]

buckhorn exchange?

[quote]BlueLineCretin wrote:
Used to go to a place for Elk brauts all the time when i lived in Denver. [/quote]
Biker Jims?

That guy is pretty famous now.
Heard he even made some Food Network show for Americas top hotdogs.

Isn’t slinging dogs out of a cart anymore either. Has a store front now.

o btw Alistair Overeem eats horse meat http://www.cagepotato.com/alistair-overeem-eats-horses-purpose/

Having eaten horse steaks a couple times before and liking the experience very much, I just bought 5 kg of ground horse meat from a friend of mine whose family owns some two dozen horses. The meat is really dark, lean and extremely tasty. Not at all gamy like deer, elk or moose. If I had a steady supply of horse, I wouldn’t bother eating many other meats, it’s that good and healthy.

My horse rancher friends tell everyone to eat horse meat, since it is the only “happy” non-game meat available out there (I guess some ‘exotics’ would qualify, too). The horse I’m munching right now spent her last summer out in the pasture, eating grass, soaking in the sun and running as much as she liked with other horses, after a long life of much the same.

Also, horses were meat animals long before they were beasts of burden, let alone anyone’s pets. Wild horse was a staple food of the Stone Age man in both Eurasia and the Americas.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Damici wrote:
I never understood the philosophy that eating certain animals is “taboo” while eating others is not.

As Anthony Bourdain once said (or something along these lines): “If it’s got four legs and it’s not a pet, pass the salt.”
[/quote]

The taboo sprang up around certain animals because they were too valuable to be eaten except as a last resort: before the invention of the car, horses were essential to land transport, agriculture and warfare. That’s where the expression “so hungry I could eat a horse” comes from.[/quote]

Interesting. That makes sense.

[quote]TK77 wrote:
Wild horse was a staple food of the Stone Age man in both Eurasia and the Americas.[/quote]

i may be wrong but i thought the Spanish brought horses to the americas in the 1400’s…

edit: you are right. seems horses in the americas went extinct a few thousand years ago THEN were reintroduced by the spanish

[quote]yoitspmart wrote:
So its looks like the other red meat is going to be legal here in the states

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/lamb-veal-and-game-products/4639/2

What do you all think about eating horse meat? [/quote]

I dont see a problem with it. It is just another wild animal right, if it taste good why not.

Re horse meat - most horses are treated with a number of drugs (whether as pets or as competing animals) which is why they aren’t good for human consumption. Also, there is no current humane packing/slaughter plant - using cow bolts to the brain area only stuns the horses so horses are alive when throat is cut and strung up; in Japan they electrocute the horses; Canada has a moratorium on horses for slaughter from US because of the drugs found in the systems of horses.

Mexico doesn’t care - beware. I have horses and am not opposed to horse slaughter if the horses aren’t someone’s stolen pet, etc. and that there is a humane way of taking their life. Stick to buffalo - it is safer.

What will happen is that American farmers will get subsidies to feed horses nothing but high fructose corn syrup and ethanol for the last 3 months before slaughter, and they will produce another franken-meat.

It depends on the horse.
It the steaks are from a young tender horse then it is pretty good.
Cook it just like a good steak. Very pink on the inside. Don’t burn it.

I’ve been wanting to try it for a long time! I’m in Cali so prob no luck, I was even in Bulgaria trying to get some but it didn’t happen. I guess one day when I’m in Canada or traveling abroad…

Can hardly wait - if it ever really happens. Give them something to do with all the damn wild horses in Nevada that are destroying all with habitat for the native animals, especially deer.

I recently had ground horse for the first time. In the space of a week I went from baulking at the idea of eating a horse to being disappointed that it was out of stock.

I made chilli with it and it’s so tender and lean it’s unbelievable. I also tasted some when I was just browning the meat and it tasted like… meat!

Will definitely be buying more, and I’d like to try the steaks and sausages that the shop also does.

Here in Italy it is common to find frayed horse meat
It has 204 calories per 100g, 32 proteins, 8 fats and 1 carb
The small amount of carb (animal glycogen) makes the meat a bit sweet

I usually use it for salad along with Grana and green veggies