Horse Meat

[quote]GruntOrama wrote:
I had some in japan. It’s actually one of the best meats I have ever had. I hadn’t realized it was illegal in the states.[/quote]

Earlier this year I had RAW horse sashimi in Yokohama, Japan, and I’m still alive and well!

This was exciting news until I learned it’s still illegal in California… sigh

Interesting, when I was in San Diego in the late 1990’s, I remember when it became illegal in that state, part of someone’s pet proposition project. I never saw the sense of that given that it wasn’t like there was some huge market leading to the elimination of the horses or something.

Anyhow…horses have a gestation period that is about two and a half months longer than cattle, and foals reach maturity about twice as long as with cows. Plus cows put on meat weight faster than horses, at least with current ranching techniques. I think the end result of this is that the meat is going to be a lot more expensive (much more time and expense pound for pound), and I doubt it’s going to become THAT mass market a product to ever really make the breeding for food that efficient in this country.

But…who knows, we’ll see. It’ll be an option for athletes who have a few extra bucks to do some fine-tuning on their food intake.

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]bonerjams98 wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
I was raised on it before I came to the US. Kinda tough, have you ever seen a fat horse ? [/quote]

how is it normally prepared?

[/quote]

i have heard it is tough/sinewy too… that being said, nothing a few chains and corn/soy diet cant fix :wink:

…could also make a decent lean burger i suppose[/quote]

Yup, If there is any reason it is currently better than normal beef, they will probably ruin it in the same ways they have ruined beef.

I never understood the philosophy that eating certain animals is “taboo” while eating others is not.

As Anthony Bourdain once said (or something along these lines): “If it’s got four legs and it’s not a pet, pass the salt.”

[quote]Damici wrote:
I never understood the philosophy that eating certain animals is “taboo” while eating others is not.

As Anthony Bourdain once said (or something along these lines): “If it’s got four legs and it’s not a pet, pass the salt.”
[/quote]
You just answered your own question.

People have horses for pets.

I personally wouldn’t eat dog or cat either, same reasons. I by no means think of animals as human or think they deserve the same rights. But when they die I don’t try to get my money back from all the feed I bought them over the years either.

In my view that quote refers to one’s own pet, or at least to that particular individual animal being someone’s pet.

If the horse in question is no one’s pet . . . pass the salt. :slight_smile:

I actually don’t think I’d have any problem eating dog meat or cat meat (assuming it was any good), as long as it wasn’t anyone’s personal pet that I was eating.

Animals: They’re what’s for dinner.

(I’m on Team People.)

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]Damici wrote:

[/quote]
You just answered your own question.

People have horses for pets.

I personally wouldn’t eat dog or cat either, same reasons. I by no means think of animals as human or think they deserve the same rights. But when they die I don’t try to get my money back from all the feed I bought them over the years either.[/quote]

In my view that quote refers to one’s own pet, or at least to that particular individual animal being someone’s pet.

If the horse in question is no one’s pet . . . pass the salt. :slight_smile:

I actually don’t think I’d have any problem eating dog meat or cat meat (assuming it was any good), as long as it wasn’t anyone’s personal pet that I was eating.

Animals: They’re what’s for dinner.

(I’m on Team People.)

I live in quebec, where its legal.

You guys can forget the idea of horse meat being cheaper than beef lol

[quote]zraw wrote:

You guys can forget the idea of horse meat being cheaper than beef lol[/quote]

I could see it being different in the states, because as you can see a lot of people feel uncomfortable eating it. Personally, I probably would have felt the same way a couple years ago, but feel like its only because Americans, in general, have been brought up to see horses as beautiful pets, not food.

If I can find some minimally processed, naturally raised and reasonably priced meet with high omegas and doesn’t make me puke…“pass the salt”

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Fellas, it’s tough, pretty tough. Cooks quick because it is so lean. Very bloody, it is a staple in hospitals in Italy because of it’s iron and hemoglobin content, supposedly helps you recover faster but I cannot account for that. Horses have almost double the blood a human has.

From an article I found…

“Beyond its taste, however, horse meat is also incredibly good for you, and is USDA-recommended. It?s low in fat, very high in protein, and has double the iron of lean beef and other meats. It also has a high concentration of omega-3 fatty acids, which help fight stroke, heart disease and neurodegeneration.”

If you care to look for it, you might find it under a label of “Equine” for a more politically correct reaction than seeing a sign saying “horse meat” in the supermarket.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/259740/20111201/horse-slaughter-meat-approved-5-reasons-eat.htm[/quote]

About the high in Omega 3 thing…they can only maintain this as long as they keep horse as some exotic, high-end meat with a specific type of diet. Again I SERIOUSLY doubt that this will ever become a mass-market product (Emu is a great meat, nutritionally, but it’s been out for decades and people still go ‘ooh icky’ without ever tasting it). But if there is any attempt to raise horses for mass consumption, it will be fed corn based bulking diets that will raise the fat content and kill its omega-3 profile.

As for the iron thing…ok, maybe that’s an issue if you are recovering from severe trauma, but come on, does ANYONE here not get more than enough iron even for extreme athletic endeavors?

I’m not saying ‘don’t eat it,’ that would be stupid…but I would wager big that this is going to be a specialty exotic meat, not a mass-market food choice.

Side note – it’s kind of strange that horse meat was banned in California, considering that it’s perfectly legal to buy and eat Lion meat (and plenty of other rare/exotic foods). It’s also worth noting that horse slaughter and meat consumption was LEGAL in the United States up until 2007 (other than individual State bans) – but it’s not like people were eating it all the time – and I don’t see any American lifters saying, “Ah back 5 years ago I ate horse all the time.” Most of the meat was exported, and I’d be willing to bet that the resumed slaughter and processing of horses will again serve the export market far more than any market in the US.

I feed it to my dog. He seems to like it.

[quote]Damici wrote:

[/quote]

HAHAHAHAH. bourdain is the man.

[quote]zraw wrote:

what’s a typical price for each?

[quote]Damici wrote:

[/quote]

The taboo sprang up around certain animals because they were too valuable to be eaten except as a last resort: before the invention of the car, horses were essential to land transport, agriculture and warfare. That’s where the expression “so hungry I could eat a horse” comes from.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Damici wrote:

[/quote]

The taboo sprang up around certain animals because they were too valuable to be eaten except as a last resort: before the invention of the car, horses were essential to land transport, agriculture and warfare. That’s where the expression “so hungry I could eat a horse” comes from.[/quote]

Thats a pretty good explanation if I do say so myself…and I do…

The demand/supply cycle will control the prices.

If the meat becomes popular enough that it’s produced in large quantities, the price will come down.

In the near-term, it’s probably going to be pretty expensive.

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

what’s a typical price for each?[/quote]

If i’m correct the same meat cut for beef here would be 2.50$ for 200g, ~4.50$ for horse and ~6,50$ for buffalo

Btw, I dont get why there isnt more people eating buffalo meat

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

what’s a typical price for each?[/quote]

If i’m correct the same meat cut for beef here would be 2.50$ for 200g, ~4.50$ for horse and ~6,50$ for buffalo

I found a small section for buffalo meat at local groceries around where I live, its 9.00 bucks for 12 oz. Not to bad, my mom, who loves steak, wont eat it. I think some people just either dont really think of it has something you eat or are weird-ed out by it, for which I have no idea why, its so effin delicious!

Btw, I dont get why there isnt more people eating buffalo meat[/quote]

[quote]zraw wrote:
Btw, I dont get why there isnt more people eating buffalo meat[/quote]
I love buffalo and elk.

Venison sucks though, make jerky out of that.