Horse Meat

So its looks like the other red meat is going to be legal here in the states

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/lamb-veal-and-game-products/4639/2

What do you all think about eating horse meat?

does it taste good? How much will it cost per lb?

[quote]yoitspmart wrote:

What do you all think about eating horse meat? [/quote]
Thib eats it so I will too.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]yoitspmart wrote:

Thib eats it so I will too.[/quote]

so did this guy http://www.schwarzenegger.it/mro/nubret.jpg

And i think the horse meat will be the same price as steak maybe even a little cheaper

It’s actually surprisingly good when eaten raw and dipped in soy sauce (or yakiniku sauce). The Japanese call it “Basashi”

[quote]yoitspmart wrote:
So its looks like the other red meat is going to be legal here in the states

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/lamb-veal-and-game-products/4639/2

For me, I gotta say the idea feels pretty taboo and not in a naughty fun good way…

I don’t think I’d ever try it.

I hgihly recommend it as it is leaner and superior in muscle building components. meat from horses is a staple food in the diets of many African bodybuilders.

Mmmm…seabiscuit.

[quote]yoitspmart wrote:
And i think the horse meat will be the same price as steak maybe even a little cheaper [/quote]
I am willing to bet it is cheap as hell when it first hits the market.

So many people, myself included, won’t eat it that they will need to build a market.

Assuming the meat was regulated the same as every other meat, I’d probably have to try it out. The idea is kind of repelling but I imagine it’d taste/smell good. So, if it’s healthy, why not?

If I can stomach crustaceans I can probably give horse a try. If you can eat something that close to a hexapod, a horse shouldn’t give you much pause.

I had some in japan. It’s actually one of the best meats I have ever had. I hadn’t realized it was illegal in the states.

I was raised on it before I came to the US. Kinda tough, have you ever seen a fat horse ?

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
I was raised on it before I came to the US. Kinda tough, have you ever seen a fat horse ? [/quote]

how is it normally prepared?

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Mmmm…seabiscuit.[/quote]

LOL!

i think i would have to at least try it… i’ve been tempted to shoot one of the ground hogs behind my house and throw it on the grill

[quote]bonerjams98 wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
I was raised on it before I came to the US. Kinda tough, have you ever seen a fat horse ? [/quote]

how is it normally prepared?

[/quote]

i have heard it is tough/sinewy too… that being said, nothing a few chains and corn/soy diet cant fix :wink:

…could also make a decent lean burger i suppose

Had some smoked horse meat here in Japan.

It was good. Real good.

Fellas, it’s tough, pretty tough. Cooks quick because it is so lean. Very bloody, it is a staple in hospitals in Italy because of it’s iron and hemoglobin content, supposedly helps you recover faster but I cannot account for that. Horses have almost double the blood a human has.

From an article I found…

“Beyond its taste, however, horse meat is also incredibly good for you, and is USDA-recommended. It?s low in fat, very high in protein, and has double the iron of lean beef and other meats. It also has a high concentration of omega-3 fatty acids, which help fight stroke, heart disease and neurodegeneration.”

If you care to look for it, you might find it under a label of “Equine” for a more politically correct reaction than seeing a sign saying “horse meat” in the supermarket.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/259740/20111201/horse-slaughter-meat-approved-5-reasons-eat.htm

I love horse meat. Twice the iron, half the fat as most beef!

It’s a little less flavorful than beef but can be had ground, or in steak form.

One of the best foods out there for weightlifters of all kinds imho.

[quote]Samir wrote:
Twice the iron, half the fat as most beef!
[/quote]

Iron helps us play!