Hitting the Road on Friday

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
AC, what exactly are you looking for in the Oil business?[/quote]

Pretty much a new career! LOL I am most qualified at the moment to be a rig electrician with my background in Preventive Maintenance, Thermography, Generators, VFD’s and other complex electrical equipment. But I’ll do about anything just to get my foot in the door. Rig electricians make about 1.5 times what regular commercial electricians make. That’s the reason I got out of electrical work to do mortgage - The base salary was around 65K and you literally had to work 80+ hours a week for months on end to just make 100K per year. Working on a rig, I’ll make around that but I’ll do it working 12 hour days, 28 days on and 28 days off (back before all this regulation and licensing bullshit I TRIPLED that my first year selling mortgages).

Also (and more importantly), I figure the oil business isn’t going to rip my career out from under me in a few years cuz of my past. There may be stupid democrat politicians that pass bullshit, reactionary, misplaced legislation that does nothing but stifle the industry, but no one is gonna say, “you’re a felon, so you can’t do this anymore, even though you’re really good at it and you haven’t make any mistakes or broken any rules”.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

Pretty much a new career! LOL I am most qualified at the moment to be a rig electrician with my background in Preventive Maintenance, Thermography, Generators, VFD’s and other complex electrical equipment. But I’ll do about anything just to get my foot in the door. Rig electricians make about 1.5 times what regular commercial electricians make. That’s the reason I got out of electrical work to do mortgage - The base salary was around 65K and you literally had to work 80+ hours a week for months on end to just make 100K per year. Working on a rig, I’ll make around that but I’ll do it working 12 hour days, 28 days on and 28 days off (back before all this regulation and licensing bullshit I TRIPLED that my first year selling mortgages).

Also (and more importantly), I figure the oil business isn’t going to rip my career out from under me in a few years cuz of my past. There may be stupid democrat politicians that pass bullshit, reactionary, misplaced legislation that does nothing but stifle the industry, but no one is gonna say, “you’re a felon, so you can’t do this anymore, even though you’re really good at it and you haven’t make any mistakes or broken any rules”. [/quote]

Are you not able to get a pardon?
I don’t really know anything about pardons so maybe it doesn’t apply to you. Which kind of sucks because it was so long ago.

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]Charlie Horse wrote:

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

Also (and more importantly), I figure the oil business isn’t going to rip my career out from under me in a few years cuz of my past. There may be stupid democrat politicians that pass bullshit, reactionary, misplaced legislation that does nothing but stifle the industry, but no one is gonna say, “you’re a felon, so you can’t do this anymore, even though you’re really good at it and you haven’t make any mistakes or broken any rules”. [/quote]

I don’t really know anything about pardons so maybe it doesn’t apply to you. Which kind of sucks because it was so long ago. [/quote]

Yeah, wondered about this. Was there no limit on how long ago the conviction was? If not, that is a profoundly stupid law…[/quote]

I’ll be able to apply for a pardon/getting it expunged in 2013 (20 years after the conviction). Until then, I’m SOL. Even then, with a violent offense (armed robbery) I am unlikely to receive a pardon - since only the president or the governor of MD can give me one, it would be political suicide for them. I MIGHT get it expunged if the parole board (the same assholes who shot me down the first time I went up for parole when I was in the system) approves it, but that won’t restore my voting rights or 2nd amendment rights, it just seals the record “officially”.

Most of the “discrimination” against felons is by companies not wanting to hire them, not because of government regulation. However, in THIS particular instance, I was hired by a BANK with full knowledge of my conviction - it was the Gov’t regulation and draconian licensing rules that drove me (and thousands of other loan officers) out of the industry (most of them for the “sin” of having damaged credit or a foreclosure on their credit report).

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

I don’t really know anything about pardons so maybe it doesn’t apply to you. Which kind of sucks because it was so long ago. [/quote]

Yeah, wondered about this. Was there no limit on how long ago the conviction was? If not, that is a profoundly stupid law…[/quote]

I’ll be able to apply for a pardon/getting it expunged in 2013 (20 years after the conviction). Until then, I’m SOL. Even then, with a violent offense (armed robbery) I am unlikely to receive a pardon - since only the president or the governor of MD can give me one, it would be political suicide for them. I MIGHT get it expunged if the parole board (the same assholes who shot me down the first time I went up for parole when I was in the system) approves it, but that won’t restore my voting rights or 2nd amendment rights, it just seals the record “officially”.

Most of the “discrimination” against felons is by companies not wanting to hire them, not because of government regulation. However, in THIS particular instance, I was hired by a BANK with full knowledge of my conviction - it was the Gov’t regulation and draconian licensing rules that drove me (and thousands of other loan officers) out of the industry (most of them for the “sin” of having damaged credit or a foreclosure on their credit report).
[/quote]

What? You don’t know the governor of MD?

Don’t you know everybody? :wink:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have met the Lieutenant Governor of MD while working with a Non-Profit I used to sit on the board for, but it wasn’t exactly appropriate to take him aside and say, “Lt. Gov. Brown, I’ve got this little problem…” LMAO

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I’ll bet he knows (or rather “knew,” biblically speaking!) the governor’s wife! :slight_smile:

More seriously, AC, I never knew it was that bad. You have my sympathy (and frustratingly impotent desire to help out somehow).[/quote]

I appreciate it, but I’ve accepted it. I fully take responsibility for my actions and I own the results that I get in my life. Sometimes it sucks if it holds me back in one direction, but sometimes I am able to use the lessons I learned in prison to achieve a positive result in a different direction. So it is what it is… I just can’t stand whining bleeding liberals who fuck up our country and their enacting policies that are stupid, shortsighted and pointless makes it fun to bitch about, but when it comes down to it, I know the only person I have “blame” for me losing my mortgage career is myself… I should have left the shotgun at home!

It figures that you finally get a great avi, but then you basically leave us…

I’m glad you’re keeping us updated. You should have a blog or something. Seriously.

On another note, I did the HUET/METS training yesterday and got the RiggPass/SafeGulf/SafeLand certs today. Getting dunked and rolled upside down in a simulated helicopter fuselage and escaping was fun!

I also grabbed a few beers with Bujo yesterday in downtown Lafayette, so it was cool meeting another member of the 'Nation. Here’s where I publicly thank Bujo for all the help and advice he’s given me! He’s a cool guy and he’s built like a tank - Props! Thanks, dude!

[quote]imhungry wrote:

I’m glad you’re keeping us updated. You should have a blog or something. Seriously.

[/quote]

I should have semi-reliable internet for at least until the weekend. After that, I really don’t know… I’ll keep my progress posted in this thread, though. You know that you and greeny are next on my “meet up” list, right? LOL

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[/quote]

I should have semi-reliable internet for at least until the weekend. After that, I really don’t know… I’ll keep my progress posted in this thread, though. You know that you and greeny are next on my “meet up” list, right? LOL [/quote]

Sure, I understand. Hey, it’ll be fun while it lasts, right?

Why the “LOL”? Are you mocking the meet n greet? :frowning:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[/quote]

I should have semi-reliable internet for at least until the weekend. After that, I really don’t know… I’ll keep my progress posted in this thread, though. You know that you and greeny are next on my “meet up” list, right? LOL [/quote]

Why the “LOL”? Are you mocking the meet n greet? :([/quote]such a sensitive kitty sometimes.

And don’t you play it off as a joke either Tiger!

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[/quote]

Why the “LOL”? Are you mocking the meet n greet? :([/quote]such a sensitive kitty sometimes.

And don’t you play it off as a joke either Tiger!
[/quote]
If you saw the way I wrote that… ALONG with the smiley, then you should know i’m playing.

I can be emotional, obviously… just not this time.

[quote]Chushin wrote:

I appreciate it, but I’ve accepted it. I fully take responsibility for my actions and I own the results that I get in my life. Sometimes it sucks if it holds me back in one direction, but sometimes I am able to use the lessons I learned in prison to achieve a positive result in a different direction. So it is what it is…
[/quote]
Spoken like the true AC. And very true, too. Nothing is ALL bad.

I should have left the shotgun at home! [/quote]
Ha ha! Or maybe just not gone out that night? :slight_smile:

BTW, shotgun? I always imagined you as more subtle than that. Say a 9mm maybe?[/quote]

LOL back then I was about as subtle as a kick in the crotch!

Will there be pics? 0_0

[quote]Chushin wrote:

Will there be pics? 0_0

[/quote]

You’re cute, Chuck, but come on!

This is AC we’re talking about here![/quote]

What? He doesn’t know how to operate a camera?

:frowning: