Hitting the Road on Friday

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
For those of you who don’t know, I recently had to stop doing mortgage due to licensing issues. Fortunately, I was able to immediately pick up a job tending a local DC bar, which has been FUN. However, even adding that income with the passive income streams from my other assets, I’m still not able to pay all the bills without dipping into my savings each month. Money talks and bullshit runs the marathon, I gotta find a new job. And there’s no commercial electrical work in the area right now.

A while back there was a thread in GAL about jobs in the oil industry and it kinda got me thinking, “I can do that”. (thanks to thethirdruffian and Bujo for all the helpful information) So after putting all of my affairs in order, I’m hitting the road. I’m driving down to Louisiana Friday morning and starting a week long certification class on Monday.

After that I’ll be knocking on doors looking to get a job in the offshore oil industry. I’ll be living in a tent and cooking with a Coleman stove during my job search. If I fail to secure an offshore job, I’ll switch my focus to ON-shore oil rigs and start a cross country journey starting in Texas and making a big loop through the mid-west and finally up to North Dakota where I KNOW I can get some work, but where it’s cold as shit.

I’m not sure how long it will take me to get a job, or if I’ll even have to make the cross country trip - I might get a job right away (or even not at all). But no matter how it turns out, it should be a pretty fun adventure! I’m prepared to be gone for about eight to ten weeks and am prepared for ALL climates (yes, packing all that shit was a bitch).

I’m bringing my computer, but I’m not sure what my internet access will be or if I’ll even want to be surfing the web all the time - I plan on doing a lot of writing in my journal and reading actual physical books… (gasp! LOL) So to all of the folks who regularly PM me for advice (and of course my regular online friends) please forgive any delay in responding to you.

Having said that, if anyone feels inclined to help a brother out and has any contacts (self, friends, family) in the Oil business I’d be grateful for any assistance in my quest.

Well there you have it! I’ll check back before I leave, but in case I don’t have time later, I just wanted to wish every one happy holidays.

While I’m away, remember to protect your seed, PIIHP, Squats and Milk, and all of the usual wonderful words of wisdom and advice found here on our illustrious online community. I’ll stop in when I can, but for now I bid you all adieu![/quote]

: ) : (

Godspeed

Good luck, man! Have fun and good luck.

If you need help with your LinkedIn profile, sprucing up your CV etc I’d be glad to help. Just let me know what you need. I’ve recruited in O&G before but in Asia not N.A. If terminology, companies, processes sound foreign I’ll do my best to help. You’ll do well wherever you go because you’ve always stayed accountable. Respect.

AC is hitting the road?!?

HIDE YO KIDS HIDE YO WIFE

…a classy, roguishly-charming forumite is going to be traveling around seeking gainful employment. While he travels with a tent and Coleman stove, it is only so you single mama’s out there can have some place to stash your kids to keep them warm and sheltered when y’all find it irresistibly necessary to help him… bang out those applications.

Sounds like quite the adventure. Best of luck.

Buena suerte / onn kaasa!

Best of luck AC.

Gonna miss your solid posts, but it’s cool that you’re willing to take a chance and get on the road. Have fun man.

I have allot of respect for what you are doing. Takes a big pair, which is why you will be successful. Tear it up Bro, Best of luck!

Godspeed, brother.

Thanks for all the kind wishes! I made it down to Lafayette, LA just fine, I’m settling into my campsite and I start class on Monday. Internet is dodgy at best, but I’ll check in when I can (at least for the next week or so)

Regarding my conviction, it is my understanding that the hiring standard is the ability to obtain a TWIC (transportation workers identification card) which I have already done. “The incident” LOL is nearly twenty years old, and as someone else mentioned, the oil industry has traditionally been open to “shady characters” LOL. I should be fine. Sure there are probably a few companies that wont hire me because of it, but there are plenty that will.

Again, thanks for the kind words.

Good for you man.
Have you considered Fort Mac at all? Tough place in the winter but insane moneys.

Aw, I don’t want you to post less, AC. But if you must do this thing - and it sounds like you must - take good care of yourself. Stay warm, eat right, watch for puddles, that sort of thing (it’s not JUST about condoms, you know).

Good luck.

AC, what exactly are you looking for in the Oil business?

Thanks for all the kind wishes! I made it down to Lafayette, LA just fine, I’m settling into my campsite and I start class on Monday. Internet is dodgy at best, but I’ll check in when I can (at least for the next week or so)

Regarding my conviction, it is my understanding that the hiring standard is the ability to obtain a TWIC (transportation workers identification card) which I have already done. “The incident” LOL is nearly twenty years old, and as someone else mentioned, the oil industry has traditionally been open to “shady characters” LOL. I should be fine. Sure there are probably a few companies that wont hire me because of it, but there are plenty that will.

Again, thanks for the kind words.[/quote]

Are your classes at MSTC?

McAllister’s at Kaliste Saloom and Ambassador Gaffery has free WiFi. I think most of the McDonalds in town have WiFi too.

You already have a TWIC card so any criminal record shouldn’t expunge you from employment. Besides most of the cook staff and custodial hands are recruited from parole officers and half way houses.

[quote]Bujo wrote:

Again, thanks for the kind words.[/quote]

Are your classes at MSTC?

McAllister’s at Kaliste Saloom and Ambassador Gaffery has free WiFi. I think most of the McDonalds in town have WiFi too.

You already have a TWIC card so any criminal record shouldn’t expunge you from employment. Besides most of the cook staff and custodial hands are recruited from parole officers and half way houses.
[/quote]

I emailed you about the classes. I found a place near my campsite (I-10 and I-49) that has free wifi so that’s cool - It’s just not quite as convenient as curling up on my couch and surfing the net! LOL

FYI, the food here is fucking AMAZING! I ate at Prejean’s restaurant and had one of the tastiest meals I’ve ever eaten.