History of Bodybuilding?

Milo of Kroton FTW!

OP, if you want to go back as far as antiquity, there are lots of good sourcebooks on ancient training and athletics. To memory, there are some good ones by Michael M. Sage and Stephen G. Miller, whereas if you’re looking for more in-depth ancient sports and training research, then you can’t really go wrong with Donald Kyle - look them up on Google books. JSTOR is great for journal articles if you can get access to it too, you may find something on there.

I can’t really recall having read anything about bodybuilding as a sport in itself in ancient sources, however, a lot of sources mention athletes building up specific body parts and the subsequent aesthetic as well as athletic benefits.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

You ain’t my friend, palooka.[/quote]

What are you looking at Punchy?

[quote]Otep wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Edit: And just to make a point, if some newb who clearly never lifted a weight before, never joined a gym, never even looked at a book or bodybuilding magazine walked up to you and said, “hey, can you tell me everything I need to know, do and eat to get big and muscular?”…you’re saying you would give him the same attention as the newb you’ve seen busting ass in the gym the last two months, the one who comes up and says, “hey, I read…and just wanted to know what you thought about it”???

My guess is, if you make no distinction between the two, then you must really enjoy wasting your fucking time.[/quote]

I would point him toward the beginner forum. Both of them.[/quote]

Then you would also be missing the point…because they didn’t go to someone else for advice, they went to “YOU” assuming “YOU” are actually built enough for them to want to know what ‘YOU’ did to get that big.

It is nice to know you would simply push both off on someone else.

[quote]RTJenforcer wrote:
Milo of Kroton FTW!

OP, if you want to go back as far as antiquity, there are lots of good sourcebooks on ancient training and athletics. To memory, there are some good ones by Michael M. Sage and Stephen G. Miller, whereas if you’re looking for more in-depth ancient sports and training research, then you can’t really go wrong with Donald Kyle - look them up on Google books. JSTOR is great for journal articles if you can get access to it too, you may find something on there.

I can’t really recall having read anything about bodybuilding as a sport in itself in ancient sources, however, a lot of sources mention athletes building up specific body parts and the subsequent aesthetic as well as athletic benefits. [/quote]

Thanks very much. My JSTOR account ended a few months ago - what an awesome resource eh. I’ll look up those names, cheers!

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

Milo of Kroton FTW!

I can’t really recall having read anything about bodybuilding as a sport in itself in ancient sources, however, a lot of sources mention athletes building up specific body parts and the subsequent aesthetic as well as athletic benefits. [/quote]

Thanks very much. My JSTOR account ended a few months ago - what an awesome resource eh. I’ll look up those names, cheers!
[/quote]

Magic did you get my pm?

Just checking here if you didnt get it!

[quote]worzel wrote:

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

Milo of Kroton FTW!

[/quote]

Magic did you get my pm?

Just checking here if you didnt get it![/quote]

No, I didn’t get any PMs. I sent you one though - did that arrive? They don’t seem to be working!

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

[quote]worzel wrote:

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

Milo of Kroton FTW!

[/quote]

Magic did you get my pm?

Just checking here if you didnt get it![/quote]

No, I didn’t get any PMs. I sent you one though - did that arrive? They don’t seem to be working![/quote]

I got yours ok!

I have sent you 2 PM’s already, but nothing? I have checked my ‘sent messages’ and there is nothing recorded there?

Maybe the mods, if they see this can explain

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:
On a bodybuilding forum where people often recommend literature, or give you nuggets of information that you can then build upon, this thread sits quite nicely. See, it sparks a little discussion and people chip in with something good that they’ve learned and might want to pass on to others etc.

Given what a selfish twat you come across as in your response (ie I read x,y,z from a book and will NEVER tell anyone what the book said) I often wonder what you’re doing on these forums.

My request has absolutely nothing to do with laziness. I’ll demonstrate:

I could go into the library/google and type a search for something on the history of bodybuilding. I’d get some results back, INTERESTINGLY, of books that people have written with the aim that someone will read them and learn from them.

OR, I could type a query on a bodybuilding forum and I’ll get - hopefully - people responding with ideas on which particular books to pick up.

The crucial point here being that it is then up to me to learn from the resources to which I have been directed. See, it isn’t lazier than going to the library. It IS like a library. [/quote]

Hmm. No it isn’t like a library. A library is a record of knowledge authored by people who have earned the right to talk about it in the first place. I have never read a book and walked away thinking “wtf was I doing? That was a total waste of time”.

On an internet forum, you seek out opinions. Sometimes those opinions come from people who have no business giving them, but sometimes the best advice is the sort you don’t want to hear.

[quote]roybot wrote:
Hmm. No it isn’t like a library. A library is a record of knowledge authored by people who have earned the right to talk about it in the first place. I have never read a book and walked away thinking “wtf was I doing? That was a total waste of time”.
[/quote]

Clearly, you have never read Power Factor Training or its spin-off by Pete Sisco.

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:
Does anybody have sources/pictures that they could point me towards that refer to bodybuilding/strength training throughout the ages?

I imagine that this is something that people have done forever. However, I’d love to see pictures/names of the earliest modern bodybuilders who have been photographed, as well as any accounts of this type of activity which dates back hundreds or perhaps thousands of years.

[/quote]

History: Gay men kept getting dragged through town’s for propositioning other men, so they decided to body build so they could identify themselves better. Yes, you just heard me.

[quote]Eli B wrote:
I had a teacher in high school that doubled as our gym rat. He was awesome. Strong and a really huge nerd. He’d come up to you with anecdotes and opinions he found interesting.

The one that springs to mind now is he was telling me about a greek myth, about a guy whose name I cant remember, who was a shepherd or something. He got a baby cow and he lifted it over his head every day. As it gradually grew the cow got heavier and the man got stronger.

My teacher finished that story by sayong “And thats the earliest record of progressive weight training we have, nevermind that if you take the rate of growth of a cow and compare it with the effectiveness of lifting it once a day the story is almost certainly false.”

I don’t know if that is of any interest to the OP but if anyone can track down the name of that shepherd it might make an interesting footnote to your research.[/quote]

He walks up a mountain/hill with it on his back.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Eli B wrote:

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
Milo of Kroton. [/quote]

Yes, thank you.

He appears to have been a real person - a 6 time olympic champion wrestler who enjoyed performing feats of strength.

I’ll call him semi-legendary.

Think you could get big on 20lbs of beef and 20lbs of bread a day?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_of_Croton[/quote]

20 lbs?

Man, that’s a LOT of fuckin’ bread!
[/quote]

And 19 pints of wine.