History of Bodybuilding?

lol, he pushes it in deeper to create pressuer for squats…its pops out and he explodes like a rocket.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Right…because “research” means “get everyone else to do the leg work for you so that you don’t actually have to do shit but read”.

You lazy fuckers piss me off with that. You learn far more by having the nuts to find this info yourself than you ever will by someone finding it for you.

That is what separates the professionals from the followers.

Guess which one you are right now.[/quote]

In other words, all the folks who have posted questions to you in the “Professor X: A Request” thread are now lazy fuckers.

lol
[/quote]

How do you relate researching what happened in all of bodybuilding to how ONE GUY lifts today?

I know about the history of bodybuilding from spending study breaks at the library reading about it. That is why I know more than most about guys who were around before I was born

No one handed that to me. No one could have. There is no way in hell I could have learned as much by someone else doing all of the leg work for me.

Mind you, I have worked in medical research (thrombomodulin gene research), and once again no one worth anything got what they now know directly from someone else. They did their own research on those topics, especially a topic a fucking broad as “the history of bodybuilding”.

Now tell me, why the hell do guys like you and the other two posters after not understand this?

[/quote]

Well good for you. You did your research without any help from anyone.

The OP comes on here innocently asking about the history of the sport. It’s not like he came on here asking for the answers to his pre-med exam.
I PM’d him a great link to an in-depth discussion forum about iron sport history (almost a one-stop shop for all things iron history). I contributed to the thread.

You, on the other hand, found an opportunity to show you’re having a bad day.
Again, apparently.
;)[/quote]

No, I found an opportunity to comment on the same lack of desire to actually search out the info that is supposedly so desired by these guys.

People who really want to know this shit, go find it.

There are TONS of books out there, meaning anyone only giving this guy onw or two books to look at is actually doing a DISSERVICE, because much like the rest of the fitness industry, bias can often guide what is written…meaning the guy getting what he needs from as many sources as possible will be MOST informed. The guys focusing on one or two books are the ones who are allowing themselves to be led by the beliefs of those one or two guys.

Once again, I have explained this in detail. I will wait while you try to act as if this isn’t true.[/quote]

So you were initially addressing Collucci?

Still, sometimes a single book can spark enough interest get the reader seek out more info elsewhere. I was a young teen when I bought Arnold’s first book. It was the first published item on BBing I ever owned. It sparked such an interest in the sport that I started collecting BBing books and mags almost obsessively.

I still fail to see the problem with the OP’s simple question, and Collucci’s reply.

Oh, and Doc, for a bald dude, you sure split a lot of hairs.

[/quote]

This isn’t about splitting hairs. How many of these guys ever come back with EXPANDED knowledge beyond whatever item they wanted someone else to look up for them?

Hell, ever?

9 times out of 10, we will get people asking for others to do leg work for them and that is the last you hear of it. These guys never become the “experts”. The guys who do are usually the type to head out and find some of this shit themselves so that they are at least bringing SOMETHING to the table when they ask a question in the first place.

This may not matter to you…but then, when are you the guy giving anyone else advice?

Edit: And just to make a point, if some newb who clearly never lifted a weight before, never joined a gym, never even looked at a book or bodybuilding magazine walked up to you and said, “hey, can you tell me everything I need to know, do and eat to get big and muscular?”…you’re saying you would give him the same attention as the newb you’ve seen busting ass in the gym the last two months, the one who comes up and says, “hey, I read…and just wanted to know what you thought about it”???

My guess is, if you make no distinction between the two, then you must really enjoy wasting your fucking time.

I imagine the “I Hate Professor X” thread is about to get a Bump!

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Right…because “research” means “get everyone else to do the leg work for you so that you don’t actually have to do shit but read”.

You lazy fuckers piss me off with that. You learn far more by having the nuts to find this info yourself than you ever will by someone finding it for you.

In other words, all the folks who have posted questions to you in the “Professor X: A Request” thread are now lazy fuckers.

lol
[/quote]

How do you relate researching what happened in all of bodybuilding to how ONE GUY lifts today?

I know about the history of bodybuilding from spending study breaks at the library reading about it. That is why I know more than most about guys who were around before I was born

No one handed that to me. No one could have. There is no way in hell I could have learned as much by someone else doing all of the leg work for me.

Mind you, I have worked in medical research (thrombomodulin gene research), and once again no one worth anything got what they now know directly from someone else. They did their own research on those topics, especially a topic a fucking broad as “the history of bodybuilding”.

Now tell me, why the hell do guys like you and the other two posters after not understand this?

[/quote]

The OP comes on here innocently asking about the history of the sport. It’s not like he came on here asking for the answers to his pre-med exam.
I PM’d him a great link to an in-depth discussion forum about iron sport history (almost a one-stop shop for all things iron history). I contributed to the thread.

Again, apparently.
;)[/quote]

No, I found an opportunity to comment on the same lack of desire to actually search out the info that is supposedly so desired by these guys.

There are TONS of books out there, meaning anyone only giving this guy onw or two books to look at is actually doing a DISSERVICE, because much like the rest of the fitness industry, bias can often guide what is written…meaning the guy getting what he needs from as many sources as possible will be MOST informed. The guys focusing on one or two books are the ones who are allowing themselves to be led by the beliefs of those one or two guys.

Once again, I have explained this in detail. I will wait while you try to act as if this isn’t true.[/quote]

Still, sometimes a single book can spark enough interest get the reader seek out more info elsewhere. I was a young teen when I bought Arnold’s first book. It was the first published item on BBing I ever owned. It sparked such an interest in the sport that I started collecting BBing books and mags almost obsessively.

I still fail to see the problem with the OP’s simple question, and Collucci’s reply.

[/quote]

This isn’t about splitting hairs. How many of these guys ever come back with EXPANDED knowledge beyond whatever item they wanted someone else to look up for them?

Hell, ever?

9 times out of 10, we will get people asking for others to do leg work for them and that is the last you hear of it. These guys never become the “experts”. The guys who do are usually the type to head out and find some of this shit themselves so that they are at least bringing SOMETHING to the table when they ask a question in the first place.

This may not matter to you…but then, when are you the guy giving anyone else advice?

Edit: And just to make a point, if some newb who clearly never lifted a weight before, never joined a gym, never even looked at a book or bodybuilding magazine walked up to you and said, “hey, can you tell me everything I need to know, do and eat to get big and muscular?”…you’re saying you would give him the same attention as the newb you’ve seen busting ass in the gym the last two months, the one who comes up and says, “hey, I read…and just wanted to know what you thought about it”???

My guess is, if you make no distinction between the two, then you must really enjoy wasting your fucking time.[/quote]

holy shit, if you guys are going to derail a thread can you at least make it funny?

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

lol
[/quote]

[/quote]

Again, apparently.
;)[/quote]

[/quote]

Hell, ever?

My guess is, if you make no distinction between the two, then you must really enjoy wasting your fucking time.[/quote]

On and on and…

Well, the OP got what he wanted… in spite of our “wasting our fucking time” arguing with each other over this small issue.

Oh dear. Like I said the last time, Twilight called and want their lead character back.

When I studied for my law exams, I didn’t come asking on this board because I REALLY needed to nail those exams, and I needed to do it only for myself. I asked people best placed - eg my professors - on which resources best tackle my theses.

On a bodybuilding forum where people often recommend literature, or give you nuggets of information that you can then build upon, this thread sits quite nicely. See, it sparks a little discussion and people chip in with something good that they’ve learned and might want to pass on to others etc.

Given what a selfish twat you come across as in your response (ie I read x,y,z from a book and will NEVER tell anyone what the book said) I often wonder what you’re doing on these forums.

My request has absolutely nothing to do with laziness. I’ll demonstrate:

I could go into the library/google and type a search for something on the history of bodybuilding. I’d get some results back, INTERESTINGLY, of books that people have written with the aim that someone will read them and learn from them.

OR, I could type a query on a bodybuilding forum and I’ll get - hopefully - people responding with ideas on which particular books to pick up.

The crucial point here being that it is then up to me to learn from the resources to which I have been directed. See, it isn’t lazier than going to the library. It IS like a library.

Tits or GTFO

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

lol
[/quote]

[/quote]

Again, apparently.
;)[/quote]

[/quote]

Hell, ever?

On and on and…

Well, the OP got what he wanted… in spite of our “wasting our fucking time” arguing with each other over this small issue.
[/quote]

Iron, thanks for directing me which way. Been really helpful and enjoyable - Now that I’m beginning to get my hooks in I’ll learn a handy few things along the way.

Cheers.

???

Apparently requesting a RESOURCE to learn more about a subject is the same as asking an expert to explain everything they know about a subject from beginning to end. LOL

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:
Does anybody have sources/pictures that they could point me towards that refer to bodybuilding/strength training throughout the ages?

I imagine that this is something that people have done forever. However, I’d love to see pictures/names of the earliest modern bodybuilders who have been photographed, as well as any accounts of this type of activity which dates back hundreds or perhaps thousands of years.

[/quote]

Check this site out http://mrolympia.altervista.org/

It basically has every photo of every bodybuilder that has ever competed in the Olympia.

Edit: I PM’d you the other link that has the history / photos of Sandow etc. from the physical culture era, very interesting site!

Hope this helps

There are TONS of books out there, meaning anyone only giving this guy onw or two books to look at is actually doing a DISSERVICE[/quote]
Have you read Muscle, Smoke, and Mirrors or the interview I did with the author?

That “one book” I suggested he look at has been received across the fitness industry as one of the most comprehensive, honest, and unbiased looks at the history of the sport.

That “one book” I suggested he look at isn’t some opinionated rant. It’s the author’s compilation of research, interviews, and review of previous written works, with 500+ cited references. But again, if you’d read either the book or the interview with the author, you would’ve known that beforehand.

I recommended that book because it, literally, answers the OP’s exact question, asking for “…sources/pictures that they could point me towards that refer to bodybuilding/strength training throughout the ages?”

I kinda-sorta-almost understand where you’re coming from with your rant, but it really was misplaced since this guy didn’t ask to be spoonfed the info. He asked to be pointed towards the sources.

I had a teacher in high school that doubled as our gym rat. He was awesome. Strong and a really huge nerd. He’d come up to you with anecdotes and opinions he found interesting.

The one that springs to mind now is he was telling me about a greek myth, about a guy whose name I cant remember, who was a shepherd or something. He got a baby cow and he lifted it over his head every day. As it gradually grew the cow got heavier and the man got stronger.

My teacher finished that story by sayong “And thats the earliest record of progressive weight training we have, nevermind that if you take the rate of growth of a cow and compare it with the effectiveness of lifting it once a day the story is almost certainly false.”

I don’t know if that is of any interest to the OP but if anyone can track down the name of that shepherd it might make an interesting footnote to your research.

Milo of Kroton.

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
Milo of Kroton. [/quote]

Yes, thank you.

He appears to have been a real person - a 6 time olympic champion wrestler who enjoyed performing feats of strength.

I’ll call him semi-legendary.

Think you could get big on 20lbs of beef and 20lbs of bread a day?

[quote]Eli B wrote:

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
Milo of Kroton. [/quote]

Yes, thank you.

He appears to have been a real person - a 6 time olympic champion wrestler who enjoyed performing feats of strength.

I’ll call him semi-legendary.

Think you could get big on 20lbs of beef and 20lbs of bread a day?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_of_Croton[/quote]

20 lbs?

Man, that’s a LOT of fuckin’ bread!

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

There are TONS of books out there, meaning anyone only giving this guy onw or two books to look at is actually doing a DISSERVICE[/quote]
Have you read Muscle, Smoke, and Mirrors or the interview I did with the author?

That “one book” I suggested he look at has been received across the fitness industry as one of the most comprehensive, honest, and unbiased looks at the history of the sport.

That “one book” I suggested he look at isn’t some opinionated rant. It’s the author’s compilation of research, interviews, and review of previous written works, with 500+ cited references. But again, if you’d read either the book or the interview with the author, you would’ve known that beforehand.

I recommended that book because it, literally, answers the OP’s exact question, asking for “…sources/pictures that they could point me towards that refer to bodybuilding/strength training throughout the ages?”

I kinda-sorta-almost understand where you’re coming from with your rant, but it really was misplaced since this guy didn’t ask to be spoonfed the info. He asked to be pointed towards the sources.[/quote]

Guy, when I responded to his post at first, your post hadn’t even posted yet, so no, I was not even speaking of you, about you or anything like that.

Maybe magicpunch isn’t like that, but the other 90% of these posters who do that do seem to be like that.

II’m not your friend…Guy.

Guy, when I responded to his post at first, your post hadn’t even posted yet, so no, I was not even speaking of you, about you or anything like that.[/quote]
I understand that about your first post.

But your comment several hours later “…anyone only giving this guy one or two books to look at is actually doing a DISSERVICE…” certainly appears directed towards me since I’m the only person in this thread to specifically recommend one book. That’s how it appears (at least to me and to Iron Dwarf) and what I was referring to.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
II’m not your friend…Guy.[/quote]
You ain’t my friend, palooka.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

I kinda-sorta-almost understand where you’re coming from with your rant, but it really was misplaced since this guy didn’t ask to be spoonfed the info. He asked to be pointed towards the sources.[/quote]

Excellent! I’ll track this one down. They don’t have it - surprise - at any of the libraries in the whole of my city so I’ll probably end up purchasing it.

Cheers Colucci

I would point him toward the beginner forum. Both of them.