History of Bodybuilding?

Does anybody have sources/pictures that they could point me towards that refer to bodybuilding/strength training throughout the ages?

I imagine that this is something that people have done forever. However, I’d love to see pictures/names of the earliest modern bodybuilders who have been photographed, as well as any accounts of this type of activity which dates back hundreds or perhaps thousands of years.

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:
Does anybody have sources/pictures that they could point me towards that refer to bodybuilding/strength training throughout the ages?

I imagine that this is something that people have done forever. However, I’d love to see pictures/names of the earliest modern bodybuilders who have been photographed, as well as any accounts of this type of activity which dates back hundreds or perhaps thousands of years.[/quote]
Muscle, Smoke, and Mirrors: Volume 1 by Randy Roach covers pretty much all aspects of Physical Culture in the 1800s through bodybuilding in the early 1960s; the people, nutrition, supplementation, and some training theories.

(Randy’s actually still compiling info for Volume 2.)

As far as the earliest “modern” bodybuilders, I guess it depends on what you consider “modern.” Sandow is the most obvious, back in the late 1800s/early 1900s, but Bobby Pandour and Maxick were around at the same time and had solid physiques.

If you’re talking more recent, like from the mid-20th Century, John Grimek is really one of the first big names (Pun intended. Dude was 5’8" and weighed as much as 250 at times, but competed mostly in the 190s.) to be featured in most bodybuilding mags of the day.

Right…because “research” means “get everyone else to do the leg work for you so that you don’t actually have to do shit but read”.

You lazy fuckers piss me off with that. You learn far more by having the nuts to find this info yourself than you ever will by someone finding it for you.

That is what separates the professionals from the followers.

Guess which one you are right now.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Right…because “research” means “get everyone else to do the leg work for you so that you don’t actually have to do shit but read”.

You lazy fuckers piss me off with that. You learn far more by having the nuts to find this info yourself than you ever will by someone finding it for you.

Guess which one you are right now.[/quote]

In other words, all the folks who have posted questions to you in the “Professor X: A Request” thread are now lazy fuckers.

lol

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

In other words, all the folks who has posted questions to you in the “Professor X: A Request” thread are now lazy fuckers.

lol
[/quote]

X2 - The lifting game is a combination of both. For example I had to try different diets to see what works for me, however I would have never known of the different types of diets without research.

0 to max butthurt in one post.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

In other words, all the folks who have posted questions to you in the “Professor X: A Request” thread are now lazy fuckers.

lol
[/quote]

How do you relate researching what happened in all of bodybuilding to how ONE GUY lifts today?

I know about the history of bodybuilding from spending study breaks at the library reading about it. That is why I know more than most about guys who were around before I was born

No one handed that to me. No one could have. There is no way in hell I could have learned as much by someone else doing all of the leg work for me.

Mind you, I have worked in medical research (thrombomodulin gene research), and once again no one worth anything got what they now know directly from someone else. They did their own research on those topics, especially a topic a fucking broad as “the history of bodybuilding”.

Now tell me, why the hell do guys like you and the other two posters after not understand this?

If you want to know who Sandow was, look him up. We can discuss him all you want, but bring something to the table.

There were probably “bodybuilders” back in Grecian times, as entertainers and performers. I’d say as long as there has been a fascination with the human body, there have been bodybuilders.

I think SickAbs has a better body that this Sandwho guy.

Just my two cent pieces.

OP,

Check out this thread:

Edit: Specifically CT’s 3rd post

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

lol
[/quote]

How do you relate researching what happened in all of bodybuilding to how ONE GUY lifts today?

I know about the history of bodybuilding from spending study breaks at the library reading about it. That is why I know more than most about guys who were around before I was born

No one handed that to me. No one could have. There is no way in hell I could have learned as much by someone else doing all of the leg work for me.

Mind you, I have worked in medical research (thrombomodulin gene research), and once again no one worth anything got what they now know directly from someone else. They did their own research on those topics, especially a topic a fucking broad as “the history of bodybuilding”.

Now tell me, why the hell do guys like you and the other two posters after not understand this?

[/quote]

Well good for you. You did your research without any help from anyone.

The OP comes on here innocently asking about the history of the sport. It’s not like he came on here asking for the answers to his pre-med exam.
I PM’d him a great link to an in-depth discussion forum about iron sport history (almost a one-stop shop for all things iron history). I contributed to the thread.

You, on the other hand, found an opportunity to show you’re having a bad day.
Again, apparently.
:wink:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

lol
[/quote]

[/quote]

The OP comes on here innocently asking about the history of the sport. It’s not like he came on here asking for the answers to his pre-med exam.
I PM’d him a great link to an in-depth discussion forum about iron sport history (almost a one-stop shop for all things iron history). I contributed to the thread.

Again, apparently.
;)[/quote]

No, I found an opportunity to comment on the same lack of desire to actually search out the info that is supposedly so desired by these guys.

People who really want to know this shit, go find it.

There are TONS of books out there, meaning anyone only giving this guy onw or two books to look at is actually doing a DISSERVICE, because much like the rest of the fitness industry, bias can often guide what is written…meaning the guy getting what he needs from as many sources as possible will be MOST informed. The guys focusing on one or two books are the ones who are allowing themselves to be led by the beliefs of those one or two guys.

Once again, I have explained this in detail. I will wait while you try to act as if this isn’t true.

[quote]ADvanced TS wrote:

Just my two cent pieces.

[/quote]

There were very few people built like Sandow when he was well known for his “physical art”. It is because of guys like that, that we now see his build as “common place”…even though more than likely less than 20% of the people on this site are even that built.

[quote]ADvanced TS wrote:

Just my two cent pieces.

[/quote]

There were very few people built like Sandow when he was well known for his “physical art”. It is because of guys like that, that we now see his build as “common place”…even though more than likely less than 20% of the people on this site are even that built.[/quote]

I’m just rustlin’ your jimmies.

I’m not that built yet, I need to eat more.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

lol
[/quote]

[/quote]

Again, apparently.
;)[/quote]

No, I found an opportunity to comment on the same lack of desire to actually search out the info that is supposedly so desired by these guys.

People who really want to know this shit, go find it.

There are TONS of books out there, meaning anyone only giving this guy onw or two books to look at is actually doing a DISSERVICE, because much like the rest of the fitness industry, bias can often guide what is written…meaning the guy getting what he needs from as many sources as possible will be MOST informed. The guys focusing on one or two books are the ones who are allowing themselves to be led by the beliefs of those one or two guys.

Once again, I have explained this in detail. I will wait while you try to act as if this isn’t true.[/quote]

So you were initially addressing Collucci?

Still, sometimes a single book can spark enough interest get the reader seek out more info elsewhere. I was a young teen when I bought Arnold’s first book. It was the first published item on BBing I ever owned. It sparked such an interest in the sport that I started collecting BBing books and mags almost obsessively.

I still fail to see the problem with the OP’s simple question, and Collucci’s reply.

Oh, and Doc, for a bald dude, you sure split a lot of hairs.

Prof is cute sometimes.

This is one of those times.

I fink if X dropped his drawers you’d find a tampon string dangling between his legs indicating we best stay away from him for the next 5 days… or has it been there for the last 8 years?

If we took out his tampon T-Nation would flood like New Orleans.

I would argue “bias” is part of the learning process of any topic with a decent level of subjectivity. I was “bias” to the first economic ideas presented to me while pursuing my undergrad in the subject. It takes YEARS of studying to form a well rounded understanding on a subject and everyone needs a starting point.

I can imagine it popin out every time he squats lol