Hands falling asleep at night

I have a recurring issue with my hands falling asleep at night. Happens in both hands, and I thought it might have to do with sleeping on my arm (on my side). But i have noticed that this issue affects me, even when i am laying on my back with my arms at my side. I first started noticing this when i began working out while overseas. And since i am a regular lifter now, it has continued. It always resolves, but is very annoying and painful sometimes. Not to mention i cant use my hands for about 30 seconds after waking up. Anyone else have this issue or know why this is happening?

You may have a pinched nerve or carpal tunnel syndrome. I too suffer from this and it was carpal tunnel syndrome in both arms. Possible but rare. My DR thought it was a pinched nerve in my neck but the MRI was negative.

My doctor also recommended I donated blood due to my rbc being a little high (On TRT) I did which I feel helped the tingling and numbness but I still felt it. If you dont have access to an mri or a doctor, a good carpel tunnel wrist splint would be good way to rule out. Amazon will let you buy it and return it if doesn’t work. It takes the numbness away in seconds for me. Hope this helped brother cause waking up from this sucks.

3 Likes

I have no problems with my TRT raising my blood levels. I do type for my job, which is concerning, however, this first presented when i was young, about 19 and hadn’t spent much time on a computer. However i do have access to doctors where i work. I will inquire, i just thought i would ask because it seemed to be an issue that happened when i first began working out.

Yeah, could be a tight neck or traps squeezing a nerve and causing trouble in your hands.

Here’s a litte neck-loosening routine.

Or maybe holding your arms up for typing tightened your biceps and forearms, pulling on your arm bones, and they’re squeezing on nerves in your elbows. Not so humerus!

Something like this could possibly open a little space.

2 Likes

A new pillow helped me a lot with this issue. Went from every night to maybe a once a week issue. I think my neck was just angled too much with my thinner pillow (I am side / side stomach sleeper).

1 Like

Could be my issue. Any recommendation on type of pillow? Something thicker?

1 Like

[quote="FiremanJ, post:2, topic:287503"I too suffer from this and it was carpal tunnel syndrome in both arms.
[/quote]

I have it too, but only in my right hand. Must have been single too long.

Anyways, OP, if these fingers are locking up, that’s your diagnosis.

1 Like

No “locking up” per se, but just numbness , both hands. Ill try and be more mindful of where the numbness is occurring next time it happens.

Thicker is what helped me. There was a period of time after the pillow where I had less frequency of waking up with numb hands, but it would still happen a few times a week. Now it mostly doesn’t happen.

1 Like