Gym Turned Into Soccer Mom Haven

[quote]GetSwoleToday wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:
Are you familiar with the basic principles of supply and demand?[/quote]

Also, the concept of profit?[/quote]

You can make good money as a gym catering to Bodybuilding. Its proven fact. Golds did it for years.[/quote]

Let me explain how business works.

Suppose that I open a gym that “caters to bodybuilding.” I offer the service of access to good quality equipment and a hardcore training environment. I charge a certain fee for this service. If enough people want to pay X dollars to join my gym, I make a lot of money. Good times are had by all.

Now suppose that someone else opens a fitness center which offers such abhorrent things as yoga classes and calisthenics. Ugh, the horror of such a place. But anyways, let’s assume that some she-devil goes ahead and does it. They also charge a certain fee for this service, and if enough people want to pay that fee for access to such services, wobble-dobble-do, we have one gym AND one fitness center operating in town.

When more people desire the latter service (fitness centers) than the former service (hardcore gyms), it seems likely that you will end up with more fitness centers than hardcore gyms.

You can make good money as a gym catering to Bodybuilding. Its proven fact. Golds did it for years.[/quote]

You don’t read much, do you?

https://www.google.com/search?q=golds+gym&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#newwindow=1&q=gold's+gym+bankruptcy&spell=1

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

You don’t read much, do you?

https://www.google.com/search?q=golds+gym&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#newwindow=1&q=gold's+gym+bankruptcy&spell=1
[/quote]

You don’t read much either. I stated they made money catering to bodybuilding for years.

Does that mean that bodybuilding is not as popular as it was during the 1970’s and 1980’s?

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

Are you familiar with the basic principles of supply and demand?[/quote]

Also, the concept of profit?[/quote]

Wow you’re smart brah! I’m so hardcore I don’t even know what profit is! Does that make me more hardcore than you? Whatever fuck it my head hurts keep getting that pump brah see ya in the gym![/quote]

LOL!

[quote]Yogi wrote:
Am I the only person who LIKES gyms full of hot to trot soccer moms?

I just don’t see what the problem is here.[/quote]

No.

The problem is that if I was not to have joined other gyms, I would still be stuck at this fucking place. That pisses me the fuck off because when I joined, it was a gym geared towards what I believe in. The lifestyle of SWOLE.

Now its geared towards the lifestyle of how to do yoga and have a vagina. Im surprised they don’t have lemaz classes at this fucking place.

The problem is that if I was not to have joined other gyms, I would still be stuck at this fucking place.
[/quote]

Factually untrue. You would have several other options available to you.

You may want to read some Sartre sometime. I think it would help quite a bit.

The problem is that if I was not to have joined other gyms, I would still be stuck at this fucking place. That pisses me the fuck off because when I joined, it was a gym geared towards what I believe in. The lifestyle of SWOLE.
[/quote]

Let me explain how business works, Part II:

If a business changes its practices and you no longer wish to patronize said business, you are free to leave, stop paying your X dollars in exchange for the service that they offer, and instead seek out a place that offers the service that you seek.

The lifestyle of SWOLE.[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHA

They had plenty of members , the gym was always packed when it was a bodybuilding gym. Its not like business just stopped and no one was going there. Plenty of people were going. Many have moved onto other gyms because they started running the place the way they do now.

Why would you stop catering to a demographic when you had plenty of members and the place was always packed? Makes no sense to me. Must be something behind this.

Did my link get you swole?

Why would you stop catering to a demographic when you had plenty of members and the place was always packed? Makes no sense to me. Must be something behind this. [/quote]

LOL. What’s “behind this” is either:

1. The owners got offered a lot of money to sell the space to someone with a different vision for their business

2. The owners decided they could make more money by going in a different direction

“Plenty of members” and “always packed” does not necessarily = “most profitable way to run our business”

I like working out around hot chicks…raises test.

Nothing wrong with tanning…good for Vitamin D production.

If you prefer to throw on your string Gold’s Gym tank and Zubaz pants and sweat with dudes…hey, whatever get’s you SWOLE!

But seriously, stop stalking your old gym…that is just creepy.

I tan and women don’t bother me at all.

Just wondering why the huge chip on their shoulder obviously against people who are serious about lifting. That’s what is bothering me here. They are trying way too hard to claim they are a fitness center and not a gym. I don’t understand why so many places nowadays want to get away from the “GYM” stereotype.

Can someone explain that to me? I thought bodybuilding was good thing, not bad.

Here is their most recent Facebook status…

Spring Is Just Around The Corner…Let’s Party About it!!!

This months members meeting is gonna be OVER THE TOP!!
I’m just going to put the schedule out there and let your jaw drop.

8:00-9:30 Cardio Kickboxing With Courtney
8:00-9:30 Spin With Tari: Pick Your Poison! You have the choice of the high intensity fat blast of Body Combat or take the scenic approach with a high intensity Spin class. Either way stop in early for an awesome calorie blasting workout to start the day off right!

9;45 -Lack Of Sun In Your Life Getting You Down? Stephanie will be offer spray-tanning for members and visitors, a sure fire way to bring on that warm, sunshine feeling even in the cold!

They have turned this into a CURVES.

So really you are asking if society has moved away from accepting the body building lifestyle?

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
So really you are asking if society has moved away from accepting the body building lifestyle?
[/quote]

I want to know why people who take over gyms seem to want to turn them into fitness centers. Why not just keep it a GYM?

Just wondering why the huge chip on their shoulder obviously against people who are serious about lifting. That’s what is bothering me here. They are trying way too hard to claim they are a fitness center and not a gym. I don’t understand why so many places nowadays want to get away from the “GYM” stereotype.

[/quote]

To answer this, we must return to something I have already posted:

Let me explain how business works.

Suppose that I open a gym that “caters to bodybuilding.” I offer the service of access to good quality equipment and a hardcore training environment. I charge a certain fee for this service. If enough people want to pay X dollars to join my gym, I make a lot of money. Good times are had by all.

Now suppose that someone else opens a fitness center which offers such abhorrent things as yoga classes and calisthenics. Ugh, the horror of such a place. But anyways, let’s assume that some she-devil goes ahead and does it. They also charge a certain fee for this service, and if enough people want to pay that fee for access to such services, wobble-dobble-do, we have one gym AND one fitness center operating in town.

When more people desire the latter service (fitness centers) than the former service (hardcore gyms), it seems likely that you will end up with more fitness centers than hardcore gyms.[/quote]

If they have moved in a different direction in their business model - away from a hardcore-gym and more towards the fitness-bunny mentality - they’re doing it because 1) they think they’ll make more money or 2) they sold the place to someone else who thinks they can make more money.

There’s nothing fishy here, dude. It’s pretty simple economics. There are a lot more people that just want a place to hop on a treadmill or elliptical once in a while than there are people that want a “hardcore bodybuilding gym.” Some people also might actually enjoy those classes, believe it or not.

If you don’t like it, you don’t have to patronize the gym. Go somewhere else, as you have, and stop worrying about it. This is coming off like a guy who broke up with his girlfriend, started dating someone else, but keeps stalking the ex and picking apart every new guy that she dates (why is she with HIM now? Ugh, what is it with women today?).

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
[/quote]

I want to know why people who take over gyms seem to want to turn them into fitness centers. Why not just keep it a GYM?[/quote]
That has been answered sir, multiple times.

The demand is not there. You do realize that places like Tate’s stays viable not from its memberships, but from its equipment they sell.

This is basic economics.

You do not keep the doors open and pay the bills by supplying a service to less then 1% of the population. You stay open by servicing the 99%

Here is their most recent Facebook status…

Spring Is Just Around The Corner…Let’s Party About it!!!

This months members meeting is gonna be OVER THE TOP!!
I’m just going to put the schedule out there and let your jaw drop.

8:00-9:30 Cardio Kickboxing With Courtney
8:00-9:30 Spin With Tari: Pick Your Poison! You have the choice of the high intensity fat blast of Body Combat or take the scenic approach with a high intensity Spin class. Either way stop in early for an awesome calorie blasting workout to start the day off right!

9;45 -Lack Of Sun In Your Life Getting You Down? Stephanie McCormick will be offer spray-tanning for members and visitors, a sure fire way to bring on that warm, sunshine feeling even in the cold!
[/quote]

Dude, lot’s of gyms have multiple revenue streams…my place has a hard core weight room, Pilates, Crossfit, pool, aerobics, spinning ect.

There are plenty of “Hardcore” gyms around. e-mail Steve Pulcinella at Iron Sport Gym (One of, if not the hardest core bodybuilding/Strongman on the East coast) in Philly…and let him tell you how much he makes, almost nothing. He makes most of his money from his EliteFTS sponsorship and doing clinics.

This used to be the most hardcore gym in the area and now I see this. Also on their facebook page its filled with photos of women doing yoga and fucking calisthenics.[/quote]
Link? Name of the gym?

Just to independently verify your claims.