Gotta Love Soda!

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Basically, if you are around a lot of other people, expect turds to be passed around.[/quote]

I think you are taking the old sang “he’s full of crap” to literally.

Would they place those next to the califlower? You see they smell very much alike…

Yea…especially on your posts! :slight_smile:

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I think many would never sleep in a hotel room again if they knew how much fecal matter can be found on the walls, the bed, the floor, the ceiling and the tv.

Are you quoting some sort of scientific data? Or are you simply referring to your reaction regarding the last time you were not happy with a hotels service?

[/quote]

I complained about who peed in the bed and they said some guy named “Zeb” had just checked out. I blame the hotel and that guy.

How he shit on the ceiling, I will never know.

ZEB wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I think many would never sleep in a hotel room again if they knew how much fecal matter can be found on the walls, the bed, the floor, the ceiling and the tv.

Are you quoting some sort of scientific data? Or are you simply referring to your reaction regarding the last time you were not happy with a hotels service?

I complained about who peed in the bed and they said some guy named “Zeb” had just checked out. I blame the hotel and that guy.

How he shit on the ceiling, I will never know.[/quote]

Lol, its true! I was there!! Yeah, I was the guy under the sink with the hy00ge pile of coke erm I mean soda.

[quote]bdog527 wrote:
Ulaf-where do you think toilet water comes from?

Also, you are being far too general when you say “meat”. There are reasons why ground beef must meet a certain temperature when cooked while you can order steak rare.

I’m not saying the article is conclusive and it certainly leaves many unsanswered questions but to just dismiss it completely is irresponsible. [/quote]

Where does the water for the toilet come from? The seweage treatment plant, jsut like almost everything else…
I don’t see your point. They chose to not post any E. coli results from the toilet which IS misleading. And people all over the place leave teh toilet/bathroom without washing their hands all the time (i know, it’s grosse).

The point i was making, yes there is E.coli, but it’s only a good indicator of fecal matter if it’s deteced at a certain concentration. E. coli can survive for quite a while outside of the intestines, so im pretty sure you’re going to be seeing some sort of presence there.

And meat…I’m sure if we tested all meats, we could find traces of E.coli. They are all cut up in the same place and it’s highly probable that contamination between cuts will occur.

And what are you talking about a certain temperature? We cook it to kill bacteria and other pathogens all the time. Usually when we cook it, the temp is +100 degrees celcius. can you name me one pathogenic or indicating bacteria that can survive past these temperatures? i think not unless you go off and name me an archaea.
Dismissing the “conclusive” results of a little 12 year old girl about something i already know about does not seem irresponsible to me. It’s realistic.

I don’t know what else i’m missing from this statement but we can all at least conclude that a stupid little girl won a science award underservably for a half brain experiment.

ZEB wrote:
Professor X wrote:

How he shit on the ceiling, I will never know.[/quote]

I just got finished reading this dang study from a 12 year old kid and crapped myself…He he…

“We’re putting feces on our face,” Brooks said. “Not a fun thing to do.”
[/quote]

I’m going to have to respectfully disagree.

The world is one giant biological soup. The VAST majority of the organisms out there are harmless to the human body. Remember that our ancestors didn’t evolve in the presence of soap and hand sanitising agents. Hell, have you ever witnessed monkey’s habits? To say that they haven’t figured out eating with one hand and wiping with the other would be the ultimate understatement.

[quote]etaco wrote:
Professor X wrote:

The world is one giant biological soup. The VAST majority of the organisms out there are harmless to the human body. Remember that our ancestors didn’t evolve in the presence of soap and hand sanitising agents. Hell, have you ever witnessed monkey’s habits? To say that they haven’t figured out eating with one hand and wiping with the other would be the ultimate understatement.

[/quote]

What are you disagreeing with? I have held the same opinion through this entire thread. The only ones who would worry about this 12 year old’s vastly less than impressive science experiment given her supposed access to an entire lab are the ones who didn’t know much about bacteria in the first place.

I posted that article simply to express that bacteria are EVERYWHERE. For anyone to act as if they are just at Mc Donald’s makes them pretty damn gullible. I just hate this hit the newspapers at all.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Also, to put this in better perspective for those willing to base any future concerns on a 12 year old girl’s science project, the public water fountain at your gym is probably the least “bacteria free”.

More great logic:

Becasue the drinking fountain might not be bacteria free then that means that the ice in the drinks that the girl studied ARE safe?

yea…oooookay…

[/quote]

You don’t get it Zeb, X equating the amount of bacteria in a mouth naturally has nothing to do with hismaking an opinion on health safety. Do you yell at people not to eat yogurt because it’s filled with bacteria?!

I can’t believe you guys are shitting (pun intended) all over a 12 year old girl because you don’t think her science fair project is impressive. I know that some of you are joking around and being sarcastic, but those of you who aren’t are kinda pathetic. It’s a kid’s science project fer cryin’ out loud!

The fact that there’s bacteria in the ice is inflammatory and alarmist, and you’re right: it ain’t a big deal. If you read the news report, you’ll see that they quote an expert who says that the bacteria levels in the ice are below allowable standards. Just so we’re sure you understand what that means: The bacteria levels are NOT dangerous.

So, yeah, it’s no big deal that there’s lots of bacteria in the ice. But it IS interesting that there’s more bacteria in the ice than in the toilet water. That is interesting news. You have to admit that even though it’s not ground-breaking science, it IS interesting. It’s more interesting than Prof X’s bacteria-on-bread-in-a-baggy. (Dude, I’m just saying, her project is better than yours, don’t hurt me!) :wink:

Finding E.Coli bacteria in the ice IS a problem, and they also make that clear in the article. You shouldn’t find E.Coli in ANYTHING that people are eating. It’s the reason most food workers are required to wash their hands before preparing food. I got E.Coli food poisoning from a Burger King in Washington a few years ago. It’s not your standard food poisoning. It doesn’t make you sick for a day or two. It makes you sick for weeks if not months. It kills children and old people, and can cause organ damage in healthy adults. They can’t give you antibiotics to kill the bacteria because toxins (the stuff that makes a person sick) are released from dying bacteria. Treating it with medicine just makes it worse.

That’s why the restaurant managers were freaked out when the girl told them about the E.Coli. Cuz they need to fix that right away so someone doesn’t get sick and then sue their asses.

They probably had some of the cashiers fill the ice bin or something… And that’s how it got in the ice. If you went to the same restaurants and tested their burgers, you probably wouldn’t find E.Coli. That’s why it’s surprising that she found it in the ice.

And I should add…

I work at a university. I was thinking about this today… I asked a colleague if they had any kids volunteering in the labs. He said no, but if a kid (from any social background) approached them, they’d be happy to give them a few hours a week to observe or maybe even help out. Thing is, most kids don’t pursue those kinds of extracurricular activities.

We don’t know anything about the kid in the article. We don’t know if she’s from a poor background, if she’s a spoiled rich kid, or if her parents are profs, or what.

And while the article was interesting and has created some debate… Judging the source of the article, it was only meant to drum up some public interest for the science fair. It probably got grabbed by the wire services for the human interest aspect and that’s how people are hearing about (and because it creates debate like we’re having). I know it showed up on another forum that I frequent.

etaco wrote:
Professor X wrote:

What are you disagreeing with? I have held the same opinion through this entire thread. The only ones who would worry about this 12 year old’s vastly less than impressive science experiment given her supposed access to an entire lab are the ones who didn’t know much about bacteria in the first place.

I posted that article simply to express that bacteria are EVERYWHERE. For anyone to act as if they are just at Mc Donald’s makes them pretty damn gullible. I just hate this hit the newspapers at all. [/quote]

I’m pretty sure he’s disagreeing with the person you are quoting, and not you.

Anyway, I think that most people here are pissed at the dumbing down of science by the media, and that a 12 year-old girl’s experiment, while commendable, is not what should be reported to the mainstream public as the latest scientific news.

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:

Anyway, I think that most people here are pissed at the dumbing down of science by the media, and that a 12 year-old girl’s experiment, while commendable, is not what should be reported to the mainstream public as the latest scientific news.[/quote]

Exactly. No one is faulting a 12 year old girl for a science project. What is being faulted is the fact that anyone notified a newspaper, the way the newspaper reported the info, and the fact that I am sure there are some kids across the country with even more impressive talents that will get no news coverage.

[quote]etaco wrote:
Professor X wrote:

[/quote]

Whatever floats your boat I guess, heh heh.

HoratioSandoval wrote:

Anyway, I think that most people here are pissed at the dumbing down of science by the media, and that a 12 year-old girl’s experiment, while commendable, is not what should be reported to the mainstream public as the latest scientific news.

Exactly. No one is faulting a 12 year old girl for a science project. What is being faulted is the fact that anyone notified a newspaper, the way the newspaper reported the info, and the fact that I am sure there are some kids across the country with even more impressive talents that will get no news coverage.[/quote]

EXACTLY! I wouldn’t even consider that to be commendable, its more like, “Hmm, 2 days till this project is due. Oh, I’ll take the easy road and swab some ice cubes!”
Then, this little b1tch’s mom probably called the newspapers. Then, the newspaper acts like bacteria ISN’T more common than a 12year old hooker in new york…