Gotta Love Soda!

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
This is kinda lame. Basically the girl wins the science fair because she has access to a lab. This is the same shit any dumbass could’ve thought up, only they don’t have the connections. Why don’t they just sell the award? And then for some reason a 12 year olds science project is news?[/quote]

Meanwhile, some kid whose parents are just scraping by who had to take a loan and a mortgage just to get supplies for a science project gets no coverage.

A lot of cleaning shit goes into toilets. To me that explains it. Also most bacteria is harmless or positive.

Finding e-coli bacteria in the ice is a major concern.

[quote]eiverson wrote:
Finding e-coli bacteria in the ice is a major concern. [/quote]

However, no one mentioned finding any and this girl’s science project wasn’t in depth enough to find out what bacteria were growing. She just find out there were bacteria in the machine. This is more lame than my 4th grade science project where I let mold grow on bread in plastic bags. It is alarmist in nature simply because the newspaper was notified.

[quote]eiverson wrote:
Finding e-coli bacteria in the ice is a major concern. [/quote]

Agreed, at least a couple of people on this thread get it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
eiverson wrote:

However, no one mentioned finding any and this girl’s science project wasn’t in depth enough to find out what bacteria were growing. She just find out there were bacteria in the machine. This is more lame than my 4th grade science project where I let mold grow on bread in plastic bags. It is alarmist in nature simply because the newspaper was notified.[/quote]

Reading comprehension?

“Of the bacteria found in the ice, three out of the five restaurants tested positive for fecal coliform or E. coli, organisms that come from the feces of warm-blooded animals.”

[quote]bdog527 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
eiverson wrote:

However, no one mentioned finding any and this girl’s science project wasn’t in depth enough to find out what bacteria were growing. She just find out there were bacteria in the machine. This is more lame than my 4th grade science project where I let mold grow on bread in plastic bags. It is alarmist in nature simply because the newspaper was notified.

Reading comprehension?

“Of the bacteria found in the ice, three out of the five restaurants tested positive for fecal coliform or E. coli, organisms that come from the feces of warm-blooded animals.”
[/quote]

You’re right. I’m wrong. I apologize for the misstep.

ZEB wrote:
Professor X wrote:
ZEB wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Also, to put this in better perspective for those willing to base any future concerns on a 12 year old girl’s science project, the public water fountain at your gym is probably the least “bacteria free”.

More great logic:

Becasue the drinking fountain might not be bacteria free then that means that the ice in the drinks that the girl studied ARE safe?

yea…oooookay…

I didn’t say that at all. There are bacteria in any public drinking system. This really shouldn’t surprise anyone. Had they said they found this much bacteria in OZARKA bottled water, THEN there would be an issue. The misconception here is that anyone thought there weren’t bacteria to begin with. The average person doesn’t realize just how much bacteria are crawling all over them and living in them all day long all of their lives. Thus why I mentioned that there are more bacteria in the human mouth than there are in the average toilet. If you kissed your wife today, you aren’t sterile. That’s reality.

You show your own lack of any sense of logic simply by not being able to follow that line of thinking without deep explanation.

Ha ha…you are trying to back track now.

I love it when you do that. And boy do you do that a lot.

:slight_smile:

Back track? My entire point from the very first post was that bacteria is everywhere making this 12 year old’s project completely IRRELEVANT. You have no point here. You jumped in, stated some bullshit argument about logic and safety and now you realize that everyone got the point EXCEPT you. Please, do yourself a favor and either come with better attacks or leave it alone. You suck at this.[/quote]

Actually, I think you suck at this (even though you have a great deal of practice).

You missed my original point. Yes there might be bacteria elsewhere. HOWEVER, that does not negate the fact that the bacteria found in the ice is also concerning.

Why don’t you pay attention for a change?

From http://biology.clc.uc.edu/courses/bio106/bact-dis.htm

This may indicate the frequency of finding that form of bacteria and it may be the simple process of adding “new ice” to “old ice”.

E-coli-
This is a normal part of our intestinal flora, and is non-pathogenic if living in its normal environment in someone’s large intestine. However, if it gets elsewhere in the body, like the upper GI tract, it can make a person sick. This usually happens by the
“fecal-oral route,” in other words, when someone drinks water or eats food washed in water containing untreated sewage. Restaurant iced tea is a notorious source of coliform bacteria. Our lab students have done studies which have shown that the tap water supplies at local restaurants are OK; homemade, freshly-brewed tea is OK; and freshly-brewed, restaurant iced tea is OK, but restaurant iced tea that has been sitting at room temperature for any length of time (as well as a sample of home-brewed tea that was added to a ?dirty? pitcher) can have as many as millions of coliform bacteria per 100 mL of tea. In talking with students who work at some of these establishments, a repeating picture begins to emerge. In most cases, the tea is stored at room temperature in large, plastic-lined urns. Whenever the supply in an urn is getting low, the typical procedure is to make more tea and add this new, lukewarm tea to what is already there. In places that are open on a 24-hr basis, this goes on continually. In places that close for a few hours each night, any remaining tea is drained into a plastic pitcher, placed in the refrigerator overnight, then poured back into the urn (which, at most received a cursory rinse the night before) in the morning. Seldomly are the storage urns thoroughly cleaned and sterilized, and students have reported that when they have had to clean one of these urns, the insides are typically coated with slime (= bacterial growth). Typically the restaurants with the cleanest tea have taken the following steps:
tea is stored in a stainless steel-lined container
tea is quickly chilled after brewing and held at a cool temperature
tea is made in smaller, more frequent batches
the container used to store the tea is THOROUGHLY scrubbed clean and sterilized before EACH new batch of tea is added
new tea is NEVER added to or mixed with ?old? tea
the urn is thoroughly sterilized at the end of each work day and left clean and dry overnight
tea is not saved overnight for use the next day
tea is not allowed to sit in the urns for more than a few hours before it is considered to be ?expired?
Many other restaurants have ?solved? this problem by switching to instant or other pre-packaged tea, thereby sacrificing flavor for convenience rather than taking the time to keep equipment clean. Consider that at home, most people typically make a pitcher of tea at a time, keep it refrigerated until use, then thoroughly wash the pitcher before adding a new batch of tea to it. If you want iced tea at a restaurant, order a cup of hot tea and a cup of ice, and make it yourself.
E. coli can also contaminate meat if the animal?s rectum is not carefully removed during the butchering process and fecal material comes into contact with the animal?s carcass. Food workers, anywhere, can spread E. coli if they do not thoroughly wash their hands after defecating/wiping.

From http://biology.clc.uc.edu/courses/bio106/bact-dis.htm

This may indicate the frequency of finding that form of bacteria and it may be the simple process of adding “new ice” to “old ice”.

E-coli-
This is a normal part of our intestinal flora, and is non-pathogenic if living in its normal environment in someone’s large intestine. However, if it gets elsewhere in the body, like the upper GI tract, it can make a person sick. This usually happens by the
“fecal-oral route,” in other words, when someone drinks water or eats food washed in water containing untreated sewage. Restaurant iced tea is a notorious source of coliform bacteria. Our lab students have done studies which have shown that the tap water supplies at local restaurants are OK; homemade, freshly-brewed tea is OK; and freshly-brewed, restaurant iced tea is OK, but restaurant iced tea that has been sitting at room temperature for any length of time (as well as a sample of home-brewed tea that was added to a ?dirty? pitcher) can have as many as millions of coliform bacteria per 100 mL of tea. In talking with students who work at some of these establishments, a repeating picture begins to emerge. In most cases, the tea is stored at room temperature in large, plastic-lined urns. Whenever the supply in an urn is getting low, the typical procedure is to make more tea and add this new, lukewarm tea to what is already there. In places that are open on a 24-hr basis, this goes on continually. In places that close for a few hours each night, any remaining tea is drained into a plastic pitcher, placed in the refrigerator overnight, then poured back into the urn (which, at most received a cursory rinse the night before) in the morning. Seldomly are the storage urns thoroughly cleaned and sterilized, and students have reported that when they have had to clean one of these urns, the insides are typically coated with slime (= bacterial growth). Typically the restaurants with the cleanest tea have taken the following steps:
tea is stored in a stainless steel-lined container
tea is quickly chilled after brewing and held at a cool temperature
tea is made in smaller, more frequent batches
the container used to store the tea is THOROUGHLY scrubbed clean and sterilized before EACH new batch of tea is added
new tea is NEVER added to or mixed with ?old? tea
the urn is thoroughly sterilized at the end of each work day and left clean and dry overnight
tea is not saved overnight for use the next day
tea is not allowed to sit in the urns for more than a few hours before it is considered to be ?expired?
Many other restaurants have ?solved? this problem by switching to instant or other pre-packaged tea, thereby sacrificing flavor for convenience rather than taking the time to keep equipment clean. Consider that at home, most people typically make a pitcher of tea at a time, keep it refrigerated until use, then thoroughly wash the pitcher before adding a new batch of tea to it. If you want iced tea at a restaurant, order a cup of hot tea and a cup of ice, and make it yourself.
E. coli can also contaminate meat if the animal?s rectum is not carefully removed during the butchering process and fecal material comes into contact with the animal?s carcass. Food workers, anywhere, can spread E. coli if they do not thoroughly wash their hands after defecating/wiping.
[/quote]

Wow…Did you actually read the article this time?

:slight_smile:

[quote]ZEB wrote:
You missed my original point. Yes there might be bacteria elsewhere. HOWEVER, that does not negate the fact that the bacteria found in the ice is also concerning.

Why don’t you pay attention for a change?

[/quote]

No one is saying that bacteria are not “concerning”, however, expecting there to be none is ridiculous. I concede based on finding E. Coli in the system because that is the only concerning matter, not the presence of bacteria in and of itself.

[quote]bdog527 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
eiverson wrote:

Reading comprehension?

[/quote]

If they found E. coli, not that E.coli in itself is usually bad, in the ice, why don’t they test the source - the city’s water supply.
Anyway, there is going to be E. coli in practically everything, even the meat!!! oooo, wooas me.
I can’t see why anyone is even conscerend about this; it’s not like they found alarming concentration of E.coli or some sort of pathogenic bacteria (not that most strains of E. coli are pathogenic).

[quote]Ulaf wrote:
bdog527 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
eiverson wrote:

Reading comprehension?

If they found E. coli, not that E.coli in itself is usually bad, in the ice, why don’t they test the source - the city’s water supply.
Anyway, there is going to be E. coli in practically everything, even the meat!!! oooo, wooas me.
I can’t see why anyone is even conscerend about this; it’s not like they found alarming concentration of E.coli or some sort of pathogenic bacteria (not that most strains of E. coli are pathogenic).
[/quote]

I posted the other source to show that this isn’t uncommon. This is why if you are that concerned, the safest thing to do is cook ALL of your own food. I think many would never sleep in a hotel room again if they knew how much fecal matter can be found on the walls, the bed, the floor, the ceiling and the tv.

Ulaf-where do you think toilet water comes from?

Also, you are being far too general when you say “meat”. There are reasons why ground beef must meet a certain temperature when cooked while you can order steak rare.

I’m not saying the article is conclusive and it certainly leaves many unsanswered questions but to just dismiss it completely is irresponsible.

OH NO! We’re not safe anywhere!!

http://www.local6.com/news/4657666/detail.html

Study: Fecal Matter, Bacteria Found In Sample Makeup
Professor: ‘We’re Putting Feces On Our Face’

A 14-week university study of store makeup counters found high levels of bacteria in sample creams, lipsticks and blushes, including E.coli that came from fecal matter being put on women’s faces, according to a Local 6 News report.

Professor Elizabeth Brooks discovered an “ugly side” to getting beautiful as part of a project with her students at Rowan University.

Brooks collected samples from 14 stores with makeup counters in the northeast section of sthe country. She collected the samples “with permission from stores she promised never to identify,” Local 6 News reporter Wendy Saltzman reported.

They tested lipsticks, shadows, blushes and creams for bacteria.

“We found bacteria, but what was alarming was the numbers, you know, it was just very, very high bacterial counts,” Brooks said. “And more specifically, we did find that E. coli, which does set off the alarm bells there.”

Brooks said the E.coli came from one source – fecal matter, according to the report.

“We’re putting feces on our face,” Brooks said. “Not a fun thing to do.”

Brooks said ask stores to sanitize samples before using them and never put anything near your eyes, nose or mouth that is not sanitized.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
This is kinda lame. Basically the girl wins the science fair because she has access to a lab. This is the same shit any dumbass could’ve thought up, only they don’t have the connections. Why don’t they just sell the award? And then for some reason a 12 year olds science project is news?[/quote]

Exactly. The whole thing is a joke. The media has a lot of space to fill and the content is usually nothing special.

Why don’t they report on the one piece shit I took the other day that was at least 2 feet long?

It was down into the drain of the toilet and went across the bottom of the bowl and stuck out of the water.

I barely needed to wipe. That is news worthy!

I love the science fair!

Basically, if you are around a lot of other people, expect turds to be passed around. I wash my hands so many times in one day, I am sure I produce no more natural oils in that body part. Everyone does not have the same hygeine. That means those trough eating places like Golden Corral where you basically pick your food like a buffet with a sneeze guard, EXPECT TURDS. Your body is designed to deal with minor insults. If you are truly concerned, either cook all of your own food, live in a bubble, or deal with it. Blaming this on fast food places is a little retarded. Shit is everywhere, not just at Micky D’s. Welcome to reality.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
cap’nsalty wrote:
This is kinda lame. Basically the girl wins the science fair because she has access to a lab. This is the same shit any dumbass could’ve thought up, only they don’t have the connections. Why don’t they just sell the award? And then for some reason a 12 year olds science project is news?

Exactly. The whole thing is a joke. The media has a lot of space to fill and the content is usually nothing special.

Why don’t they report on the one piece shit I took the other day that was at least 2 feet long?

It was down into the drain of the toilet and went across the bottom of the bowl and stuck out of the water.

I barely needed to wipe. That is news worthy![/quote]

The little girl is a joke. I want to kick her…

I think many would never sleep in a hotel room again if they knew how much fecal matter can be found on the walls, the bed, the floor, the ceiling and the tv.[/quote]

Are you quoting some sort of scientific data? Or are you simply referring to your reaction regarding the last time you were not happy with a hotels service?