G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra

I read somewhere this is the first of a few slated movies, it sets back story etc which is why no masks for Destro or cobra commander.

CENTURIONS WAS THE SHIT!

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:
Doug Adams wrote:
Arguably the movie most hated by die hard fans, even before its release, is opening this week. I don’t think there’s been another movie with more anti-hype than this one.

I’m going to see it Friday while hoping there’s at least a shred of the original storylines involved. Will I be in the theater by myself?

G.I. Joe has die hard fans? G.I. Joe?

Star Trek has fans. Star Wars, the X-Men, Wolverine. But I don’t think anyone holds a torch for G.I. Joe. I liked the show as a kid, but I haven’t given a shit about it in 20 years, and I don’t think anyone else has either. But regardless of whether or not I have any nostalgia for G.I. Joe, the trailer looks auful, and I wouldn’t watch it for anything.

Dude, how old are you? GI Joe hooked a whole generation when it came out with that Cobra-la cartoon movie and showed a soldier getting shot (with blood) for the first time that I can remember in an American cartoon. I don’t know anyone in the 3rd grade who wasn’t a fan.[/quote]

I’m 31. Yeah, Cobra-La was the shit. We got high and watched that movie in the dorms my freshman year of college. But Star Trek has conventions, Star Wars has legions of fans who lined up for days outside the movie theaters when the new ones were released. G.I. Joe was never on that level.

G.I. Joe is tied with Transformers, He-Man, The A team, Dukes of Hazaard, Voltron. It’s B list.

Those that are bent out of shape about Cobra Commander and Destro not being metal faced…

Will you be bent out of shape when it’s not blue lazer bullets against red lazer bullets too?

C’mon, let the movie have some room and see where it goes. I was definitely a GI Joe fan, had action figures, put Gung Ho and Lady Jay in compromising positions and had Duke walk in on 'em, all of that. I kept all the cut out cards from the packages in a metal box and could recite specialties and quotes and all that.

But I won’t be crushed if it doesn’t hold true to the original story that I remember, I’m just glad they’re making something about it that reminds me of being stuck at home on a snow day setting up battles in my bedroom. Something I wasn’t able to connect to with Star Treck or X-men, or any of the other Comic Book movies…

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:
Doug Adams wrote:
Arguably the movie most hated by die hard fans, even before its release, is opening this week.

I’m going to see it Friday while hoping there’s at least a shred of the original storylines involved. Will I be in the theater by myself?

Star Trek has fans. Star Wars, the X-Men, Wolverine. But I don’t think anyone holds a torch for G.I. Joe. I liked the show as a kid, but I haven’t given a shit about it in 20 years, and I don’t think anyone else has either. But regardless of whether or not I have any nostalgia for G.I. Joe, the trailer looks auful, and I wouldn’t watch it for anything.

Dude, how old are you? GI Joe hooked a whole generation when it came out with that Cobra-la cartoon movie and showed a soldier getting shot (with blood) for the first time that I can remember in an American cartoon. I don’t know anyone in the 3rd grade who wasn’t a fan.

I’m 31. Yeah, Cobra-La was the shit. We got high and watched that movie in the dorms my freshman year of college. But Star Trek has conventions, Star Wars has legions of fans who lined up for days outside the movie theaters when the new ones were released. G.I. Joe was never on that level.

G.I. Joe is tied with Transformers, He-Man, The A team, Dukes of Hazaard, Voltron. It’s B list.
[/quote]

That’s only because the fans of Star Trek included mostly adults who could afford plane tickets and goofy clothes. Every kid who grew up in the 80’s knew who He-Man was and played with GI Joe figures or Transformers. It may be “b list” but that is simply because of the target age group.

Remember Lazer Tag? Shit like this is a gold mine due to all of those kids hitting their late 20’s and 30’s now yet never losing their love for this crap. Do you realize how many of us would have peed ourselves if we saw this movie being previewed when we were kids? I mean, shit, we all piled into that piece of shit live He-man movie done back then as if it was really good…and that says something.

Uncle Gabby wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:
Doug Adams wrote:
Arguably the movie most hated by die hard fans, even before its release, is opening this week.

Dude, how old are you? GI Joe hooked a whole generation when it came out with that Cobra-la cartoon movie and showed a soldier getting shot (with blood) for the first time that I can remember in an American cartoon. I don’t know anyone in the 3rd grade who wasn’t a fan.

That’s only because the fans of Star Trek included mostly adults who could afford plane tickets and goofy clothes. Every kid who grew up in the 80’s knew who He-Man was and played with GI Joe figures or Transformers. It may be “b list” but that is simply because of the target age group.

Remember Lazer Tag? Shit like this is a gold mine due to all of those kids hitting their late 20’s and 30’s now yet never losing their love for this crap. Do you realize how many of us would have peed ourselves if we saw this movie being previewed when we were kids? I mean, shit, we all piled into that piece of shit live He-man movie done back then as if it was really good…and that says something.[/quote]

Man, that movie was really a piece of shit. haha

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:

Man, that movie was really a piece of shit. haha
[/quote]

Take it back!

Remember Lazer Tag?[/quote]

HA! Lazer Tag was the shit! My brother and I got a set for Christmas one year and we wore that shit out. We had a friend in the neighborhood that had two of the ‘sniper rifles’, but those sucked ass because you always hit yourself when firing them. You had to hold it away from you in this awkward position to avoid hitting your own target, it kind of defeated the whole “stealth” aspect of it because you couldn’t hold the rifle close to your body and had to fire from out in the open.

Damn it, remembering those days playing laser tag makes me sooooooo nostalgic… Those were totally perfect days.

You know what they need to start making again? Those Hot Wheel Crack-Ups cars. I know my nephew would absolutely LOVE them. Toys today suck.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Remember Lazer Tag?

HA! Lazer Tag was the shit! My brother and I got a set for Christmas one year and we wore that shit out. We had a friend in the neighborhood that had two of the ‘sniper rifles’, but those sucked ass because you always hit yourself when firing them. You had to hold it away from you in this awkward position to avoid hitting your own target, it kind of defeated the whole “stealth” aspect of it because you couldn’t hold the rifle close to your body and had to fire from out in the open.

Damn it, remembering those days playing laser tag makes me sooooooo nostalgic… Those were totally perfect days.

You know what they need to start making again? Those Hot Wheel Crack-Ups cars. I know my nephew would absolutely LOVE them. Toys today suck.[/quote]

If we’re going to be gumpy old 30 somethings, I’d have to say I agree with you about todays toys.

Orange tips on all the guns. Dang those are lame. Saw a picture of a girl decked out like Lara Croft at the Comic Con but had the orange tips on her guns. Ruined it.

[quote]Sideshow wrote:
Ray Park as Snake Eyes.[/quote]

And I’m sold on this movie.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:
Doug Adams wrote:
Arguably the movie most hated by die hard fans, even before its release, is opening this week. I don’t think there’s been another movie with more anti-hype than this one.

[/quote]

G.I. Joe does in fact have conventions.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
MODOK wrote:
Cobra Commander also had that alternate, blue hood he’d wear sometimes instead of the metal mask. They could take that road too if they wanted and not F it up entirely.

Or they could go the route of the cartoon movie and just use a huge talking snake to play him.[/quote]

body massage?

[quote]caladin wrote:
Im afraid this movie is going to suck… We shall see though. Im not happy that Destro does not have a metal face that is one of the things I like about him plus wasnt he black?[/quote]

I saw a trailer where Destro’s mask was in a display case.

Also…the guy who voiced Destro(and Devastator)…was a black guy. I do see how it was easy to think Destro was black…lol.

Destro was the man, he had his shit together way more than Cobra Commander. CC was a pussy, look how he kissed ass to Serpentor rather than get in his face when he was created. Getting power is one thing, keeping it is another. Top dog means you crush those who try to steal your shine. This movie has a huge fan base and lots of potential (like Transformers).

I am just fearful of the cast, I hope I am proven wrong but I am going into it with little expectations. I really liked the different characters on both sides… Zartan, Dreadnaughts, Destro, Gungo Ho, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Major Blood, Duke, Scarlett (yum), Baroness (more yum), I think this was ahead of its time for kids. I think it will do quite well at the box offices because of its fan base. Who could forget the kung fu grip?

My brother saw it at Fort Bragg. He was a big G.I. Joe fan when he was a kid.

-Snake Eyes is the only one they kept true to the original
-Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow were the highlights of the movie.

-Everything else strayed from the G.I.Joe canon
-Good action movie, but does not stick completely true to G.I. Joe.

I used to love G.I. Joe. They were the first action figures I ever shoplifted. I remember when they modified the action figures to have the “swivel arm battle grip”! I had to re-stock and my allowance just didn’t cut it. LOL That shit was off the hook!

Did anyone else unscrew them from the back and switch the heads all around?

My little brother and I had a G.I. Joe vs. M.A.S.K. (who remembers Mobile Armored Strike Command, spelled with a “K”?) battle with fire and everything in the back yard. We torched most of our toys, but it was fun as shit. When we were done it was a smoldering mass of green plastic in the back yard! My mom broke a broomstick over my ass for that one!

I used to collect the comic books, as well - before the show came out.

The movie will probably suck, but I’ll see it anyway.

Remember, “knowing is half the battle!”

Is the 80’s cartoon series available on DVD? If not, anywhere on the Internet?

Loved the cartoon and the movie. Had all the action figures as well. I will be seeing the movie and have tried to stay away from the discussions regarding plot lines and whatnot. I want to judge this for myself.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
Is the 80’s cartoon series available on DVD? If not, anywhere on the Internet?

Loved the cartoon and the movie. Had all the action figures as well. I will be seeing the movie and have tried to stay away from the discussions regarding plot lines and whatnot. I want to judge this for myself.[/quote]

I’m sure you can find them all on dvd surfing teh interwebz.

I suspect I am going to be horribly dissappointed by this film given the trailers. I have the series on DVD (or at least that part that came out before Rhino entertainment lost the rights to the series. I am looking forward to buying the entire series box when it comes out later this year) and I have become a big fan of the quality stories that have been put out in the Devil’s Dues comics over the last few years.

A real G.I. Joe movie needs the following characters in their original costumes.
Cobra Commander.
Destro
Baroness
Storm Shadow
Firefly
Zartan

Hawk
Duke
Flint
Snake-Eyes
Beachhead
Scarlett