Frank Miller's 300

[quote]KneeBar wrote:
I’m one Yank who knows about the Spartan Stand against the Persian army.

When the Spartan General was told that the Persians could fire enough arrows to darken the sky he replied “Good, then we can fight in the shade”

And sure, everyone knows about the Alamo, but how many know about the Battle of Chosen Reservoir?
[/quote]

Another proud chapter in the history of the USMC.

Many people do not know anything about the Korean War beyons what they learned watching MAS*H.

The Battle for Chosin was brutal, but I think if you are going to mention hardcore USMC balls out fight-to-the-death exploits then I think you have to mention Belleau Wood (WWI) and Tarawa (WWII)

from Nationmaster.com:

The Battle of Belleau Wood

The Battle of Belleau Wood was a battle of the first World War. It occurred near the Marne River in France between June 1st and June 26th 1918. The battle was fought between the U.S. Second (under the command of James Harbord) and Third Divisions and a hodgepodge of German units including elements from the 237th, 10th, 197th, 87th, and 28th Divisions.

Importance

In a battle noteworthy because of both its extremely bloody nature and its close proximity to the French capital of Paris, the American Expeditionary Force (AEF) launched a counter-attack designed to stop the German advance. The Second Division was tasked with taking the woods, and the 4th Brigade with its 5th and 6th Marine Regiments was sent forward.

In order to enter and take the woods, it was necessary to advance across an open field of wheat that was continuously swept with murderous German machine gun and artillery fire.

After Marines were repeatedly urged to turn back by retreating French forces, Marine Captain Lloyd Williams of the 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines uttered the now-famous retort “Retreat, hell. We just got here.”

The Eiffel Tower has become a symbol of Paris throughout the world. … Officers of the American Expeditionary Force and the Baker mission The American Expeditionary Force or AEF was the United States military force in World War I. The AEF helped the French defend the Western Front during the Aisne Offensive in May. … Patch of the United States Army 2nd Infantry Division. …

The 5th Marine Regiment (5th Marines) is a critical componet of the 1st Marine Division. … A machine gun is a fully-automatic firearm that is capable of firing bullets in rapid succession. …

Historically, artillery refers to any engine used for the discharge of projectiles during war. … Captain is both a nautical term and a military rank. … 1 June 1918 2nd Division troops dig in along a defensive line just north of the village of Lucy-le-Bocage. …

Symbol of the Austrian 14th Armoured Battalion in NATO code In military terminology, a battalion consists of two to six companies typically commanded by a lieutenant colonel. …

On June 6, the casualties were the highest in Marine Corps history (and remained so until the capture of Tarawa in November 1943). Overall, the woods were taken by the Marines (and the US Army 3rd Brigade) a total of six times before they could successfully expel the Germans.

They fought off more than four divisions of Germans, oftentimes reduced to using only their bayonets or fists in hand-to-hand combat. In order to rally his platoon of pinned-down Marines, Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly encouraged them with what would become another famous phrase “Come on, you sons of bitches, do you want to live forever?”

The Battle of Tarawa was a battle in the Pacific Theatre of World War II, largely fought from November 20-23, 1943. … For other uses, see November (disambiguation). … 1943 (MCMXLIII) is a common year starting on Friday. … US Army Seal HHC, US Army Distinctive Unit Insignia The Army is the branch of the United States armed forces that has primary responsibility for land-based military operations. …

A division is a large military unit or formation usually consisting of around ten to fifteen thousand soldiers. … The US Marine Corps OKC-3S bayonet A bayonet is a knife- or dagger-shaped weapon designed to fit on or over the muzzle of a rifle or similar weapon. … Gunnery Sergeant insignia (U.S. Marine Corps) Gunnery Sergeant is the seventh enlisted rank in the U.S. Marine Corps, just above Staff Sergeant and below Master Sergeant and First Sergeant, and is a staff non-commissioned officer. …

Sergeant Major Daniel Joseph Dan Daly (11 November 1873 ? 28 April 1937) was a United States Marine. …

On June 26th, a report was sent out simply stating, “Woods now U.S. Marine Corps entirely,”[4] ending the bloodiest and most ferocious battle U.S. forces would fight in the war. June 26 is the 177th day of the year (178th in leap years) in the Gregorian Calendar, with 188 days remaining. …

After the battle

In the end, U.S. Forces suffered a total of 9,777 casualties, 1,811 of them being fatal. There is no clear information on the total number of Germans killed, although 1,600 troops were taken prisoner. Combined with the actions at Chateau Thierry, the Battle of Belleau Wood brought an end to the last major German offensive of World War I.

The Battle of Chateau Thierry was fought on July 18, 1918. … Combatants Entente Powers Central Powers Commanders {{{commander1}}} {{{commander2}}} Strength {{{strength1}}} {{{strength2}}} Casualties > 5 million military deaths > 3 million military deaths World War I, also known as the First World War and (before 1939) the Great War, the War of the Nations, War to End All Wars was a world conflict…

After the battle, the French renamed the wood “Bois de la Brigade de Marine” (“Wood of the Marine Brigade”) in honor of the Marines’ tenacity. The French government also later awarded the 4th Brigade the Croix de Guerre. Belleau Wood is also where the Marines got their German nickname of “Teufelshunde” or “Devil Dogs” for the ferocity with which they attacked the German lines.

An official German report classified the Marines as “vigorous, self-confident, and remarkable marksmen…”[5] United States Marine Corps Emblem The United States Marine Corps (USMC) is a branch of the U.S. military. … The Croix de guerre is a military decoration of both Belgium and France which was first created in 1915. …

General Pershing, Commander of the AEF said, “The Battle of Belleau Wood was for the U.S. the biggest battle since Appomattox and the most considerable engagement American troops had ever had with a foreign enemy.”[6] General John Pershing John Joseph Black Jack Pershing (September 13, 1860 ??? July 15, 1948) was an officer in the United States Army. … Appomattox is a town located in Appomattox County, Virginia. …

Memorial

In 1923, an American battle monument was built in Belleau Wood. Army General James. G. Harbord, the commander of the Marines during the battle, was made an honorary Marine. In his address, he summed up the future of the site: 1923 (MCMXXIII) was a common year starting on Monday (link will take you to calendar). … For the boxer, see Mike Tyson. …

US Army Seal HHC, US Army Distinctive Unit Insignia The Army is the branch of the United States armed forces that has primary responsibility for land-based military operations. … General is a high military rank, used by nearly every country in the world. … James Harbord was a U.S. Army officer and a business executive. …

"Now and then, a veteran ... will come here to live again the brave days of that distant June," Harbord said. "Here will be raised the altars of patriotism; here will be renewed the vows of sacrifice and consecration to country. Hither will come our countrymen in hours of depression, and even of failure, and take new courage from this shrine of great deeds."[7]

Today, at the American cemetery nearby, white crosses and Stars of David mark 2,289 graves, 250 for unknown service members, and the names of 1,060 missing men adorn the wall of a memorial chapel. Visitors also stop at the nearby German cemetery where 8,625 men are buried; 4,321 of them - 3,847 unknown - rest in a common grave.

The Chosin resivior is just as important to USMC history as belleu woods (with no mention to us receiving the name “teufelhunden”) or tarawa.

“I have just returned from visiting the Marines at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world.”

(General Douglas MacArthur, USA, outskirts of Seoul, 21 September 1950.)

“Retreat Hell! We’re just attacking in another direction.”

(Attributed to Major General Oliver P. Smith, USMC, Korea, December 1950.)

“Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning.”

(Colonel David M. Shoup, USMC, Tarawa, 21 November 1943.)

“I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold.”

(First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918.)

“The safest place in Korea was right behind a platoon of Marines. Lord, how they could fight.”

• Major General Frank Lowe, U.S. Army

The man who will go where his colors will go, without asking, who will fight a phantom foe in a jungle and mountain range, without counting, and who will suffer and die in the midst of incredible hardship, without complaint, is still what he has always been, from Imperial Rome to sceptered Britain to Democratic America.

He is the stuff of which legions are made. His pride is his colors and his regiment, his training hard and thorough and coldly realistic, to fit him for what he must face, and his obedience is to his orders. As a legionary, he held the gates of civilization for the classical world…he has been called United States Marine.

Lieutenant Colonel T.R. Fehrenbach, US Army in “This Kind of War”

“We’re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them.”

• Chesty Puller at the Chosin Reservoir

When an Army captain asked him for the direction of the line of retreat, Col Puller called his artillerymen, gave them the Army position, and ordered: “If they start to pull back from that line, even one foot, I want you to open fire on them.” Turning to the captain, he replied “Does that answer your question?
We’re here to fight.” At Koto-ri in Korea

• Chesty Puller at Koto-ri in Korea

"Remember, whatever you write, this was no retreat. All that happened was that we found more

Chinese behind us than in front of us, so we about-faced and attacked."

• Chesty Puller, USMC, speaking to reporters after the battle out of the Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

For over 221 years our Corps has done two things for this great Nation.
We make Marines, and we win battles.
Gen. - Charles C. Krulak, USMC (CMC); 5 May 1997 -

Sorry, now you got me all motivated. More Marine quotes:

“Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone.
Strike the American Army.”

• Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War; shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered to not wear
    their khaki leggings to keep the enemy from immediately fleeing

“Teufelhunde (Devil Dogs)”
–German Soldiers during WWI at Belleau Wood

“Panic sweeps my men when they are facing the American Marines!”

• Captured North Korean Major

“The American Marines are terribly reckless fellows…
they would make very good storm troopers.”

• Unidentified German officer at Belleau Wood

“Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference.
The MARINES don’t have that problem.”
President Ronald Reagan - 1985

We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island,
and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing.
What the hell is going on?

Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., USA, Chairman of the the Joint Chiefs of Staff; during the assault on Grenada, 1983

“The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!” - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

The Marines fought almost solely on esprit de corps, I was certain. It was inconceivable to most Marines that they should let another Marine down, or that they could be responsible for dimming the bright reputation of their Corps. The Marines simply assumed that they were the world’s best fighting men."

• Robert Sherrod, 1943, regarding the battle at Tarawa

“There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines:
Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.”
-Unknown

Bump video journal 3 “Spartan Training”

[quote]Natural Nate wrote:
THIS is what worries me. If it was done right, a movie version of Gates Of Fire would be better than Gladiator.

Fenris wrote:

Incidentally, GoF was optioned by George Clooney’s production company. Bruce Willis expressed interest in playing Leonidas. Now that the 300 is being made, who knows if that will see fruition.

[/quote]

Yea, except for the part where George Clooney plays a starring role. I’m so sick of him pretending to be a badass.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
Natural Nate wrote:
THIS is what worries me. If it was done right, a movie version of Gates Of Fire would be better than Gladiator.

Fenris wrote:

Incidentally, GoF was optioned by George Clooney’s production company. Bruce Willis expressed interest in playing Leonidas. Now that the 300 is being made, who knows if that will see fruition.

Yea, except for the part where George Clooney plays a starring role. I’m so sick of him pretending to be a badass.

[/quote]

No kidding.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
Natural Nate wrote:

Fenris wrote:

[/quote]

Ya, I have mixed feelings about Clooney. On one hand i’m not a big fan but on the other hand he has a lot of clout so hopefully he can get this thing rolling and done well.

Production Blog, Feb.24/06

Where do I begin when it comes to Mark Twight? I have known Mark for years and when it came time to select someone to train the guys to become Spartans, there was never
a question in my mind. There was only one person I would trust to take the actors and stuntman down that path and that person was Mark. He knew my goal was not to turn everyone into a bodybuilder, but to give the guys the physique of an ancient warrior. A physique shaped by the survival of the fittest. Taking the human shape back to it’s most utilitarian animal form.

Mark is a true pro and has always impressed me with his perspective of the world. Years of climbing have tested him in ways most people will never experience and thus given him the knowledge and insight that come from that. Existing in a world where every decision counts makes one consider things more closely, resulting in better choices and complete commitment to the decisions made. That mentality has carried over into every aspect of Marks life and garners much respect from myself and others who know him. That focus, drive and energy is the spine upon which his training style
is built. His methods work because he lives them.

To learn more about Mark Twight’s climbing check out his book “Kiss or Kill: Confessions of a Serial Climber”

May be of interest…

This Spartan stuff has gotten me kinda psyched up! T-Men all the way.

(and I’m of Viking descent)

It looks and sounds like he has the actors doing a CrossFit type workout.

[quote]spartanpower wrote:
It looks and sounds like he has the actors doing a CrossFit type workout.[/quote]

yes. sort of. go to the film website and check out the production blog regarding the training.

the trainer’s web site www.gymjones.com

he name checks Mishima, so he gets some props in my book.

Anyway, the director clearly told the guy he didn’t want them looking like bodybuilders, rather utilitarian ‘survival of the fittest’ type - which is pretty much what Crossfit seems to be all about.

given that directive, the training style makes sense.

[quote]derek wrote:

May be of interest…

This Spartan stuff has gotten me kinda psyched up! T-Men all the way.

(and I’m of Viking descent)[/quote]

Great Blog thanks (hours of reading pleasure). I love all things Viking as well! Except the Minnesota variety!

[quote]Fenris wrote:
I just looked up “300” on IMDB and found that Gerard Butler, who plays Leonidas, is starring in another movie of interest to T-Men: “Beowulf and Grendel.” Check out the trailer at

www.beowulfandgrendel.com[/quote]

Now that is my kind of movie.

[quote]big69penisman wrote:

“We’re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them.”

• Chesty Puller at the Chosin Reservoir

When an Army captain asked him for the direction of the line of retreat, Col Puller called his artillerymen, gave them the Army position, and ordered: “If they start to pull back from that line, even one foot, I want you to open fire on them.” Turning to the captain, he replied “Does that answer your question?
We’re here to fight.” At Koto-ri in Korea

• Chesty Puller at Koto-ri in Korea

"Remember, whatever you write, this was no retreat. All that happened was that we found more

Chinese behind us than in front of us, so we about-faced and attacked."

• Chesty Puller, USMC, speaking to reporters after the battle out of the Chosin Reservoir, Korean War
    [/quote]

And someone on another thread actually questioned if Chesty was T-Man material?

Molon Labe!

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
Molon Labe![/quote]

Molon Labe! (mo-lone lah-veh)
“Come and get them!”

Two little words. With these two words, two concepts were verbalized that have lived for nearly two and a half Millennia. They signify and characterize both the heart of the Warrior, and the indomitable spirit of mankind. From the ancient Greek, they are the reply of the Spartan General-King Leonidas to Xerxes, the Persian Emperor who came with 600,000 of the fiercest fighting troops in the world to conquer and invade little Greece, then the center and birthplace of civilization as we know it. When Xerxes offered to spare the lives of Leonidas, his 300 personal bodyguards and a handful of Thebans and others who volunteered to defend their country, if they would lay down their arms, Leonidas shouted these two words back.They mean, ?Come and get them!? They live on today as the most notable quote in military history. And so began the classic example of courage and valor in its dismissal of overwhelming superiority of numbers, wherein the heart and spirit of brave men overcame insuperable odds. Today, there lies a plaque dedicated to these heroes all at the site. It reads: ?Go tell the Spartans, travelers passing by, that here, obedient to their laws we lie.?

We have adopted this defiant utterance as a battle cry in our war against oppression because it says so clearly and simply towards those who would take our arms.

It signifies our determination to not strike the first blow, but also to not stand mute and allow our loved ones, and all that we believe in and stand for, to be trampled by men who would deprive us of our God-given ? or natural, if you will ? rights to suit their own ends.

Nice Pic.

Looks like a K31

I just finished reading Gates of Fire after plenty of recommendations from everyone here and I was blown away by the story. The book was magnificent and I just want to echo the recommendations of previous posters.