Frank Miller's 300

[quote]Spartan300 wrote:
For those who don’t know The Battle of Thermopylae is known as Greek Alamo.[/quote]

…An insult to the Spartans.

[quote]etaco wrote:
Spartan300 wrote:
For those who don’t know The Battle of Thermopylae is known as Greek Alamo.

…An insult to the Spartans.[/quote]

Too true considering that there is some evidance that Crocket and the other Alamo defenders (gasp) Surrendered.

The Spartans @ Thermopylae are the truest definition of what a T-Man is. If you’ve never read about this battle, I implore you to read it. These guys had nuts the size of boulders. If these men had not of given their lives, there is a good chance that the “Western” way of life as we know it, would not exist.

[quote]Jprocrastinator wrote:
etaco wrote:
Spartan300 wrote:

…An insult to the Spartans.

Too true considering that there is some evidance that Crocket and the other Alamo defenders (gasp) Surrendered. [/quote]

No!!! Not John Wayne, Really?! i’ve never heard that before. Me insult my own people? Never! The only reason i made the comparisan is it gives the Yanks (99% of the guys on this site) a point of reference. It is my duty to educate the masses to always “Remember the Spartans”.

Every one here should read “Gates of Fire.” The 300 is a great graphic novel (one of my favorite), but Gates of Fire blows it away (IMHO). 300 is more operatic, while GoF is more historically accurate. As an interest to T-Men, GoF also goes into gory detail on the Spartans’ training regimines.

Incidentally, GoF was optioned by George Clooney’s production company. Bruce Willis expressed interest in playing Leonidas. Now that the 300 is being made, who knows if that will see fruition.

"When told that the Persian archers numbered so many that their arrows blotted the sun from the sky, Leonidas replied ‘Good. Then we shall fight in the shade.’- Herodotus’Histories

I just looked up “300” on IMDB and found that Gerard Butler, who plays Leonidas, is starring in another movie of interest to T-Men: “Beowulf and Grendel.” Check out the trailer at

THIS is what worries me. If it was done right, a movie version of Gates Of Fire would be better than Gladiator.

[quote]Fenris wrote:

Incidentally, GoF was optioned by George Clooney’s production company. Bruce Willis expressed interest in playing Leonidas. Now that the 300 is being made, who knows if that will see fruition.

[/quote]

[quote]Natural Nate wrote:
… If it was done right, a movie version of Gates Of Fire would be better than Gladiator. [/quote]

I agree. Gates of Fire (the book) was masterfully done. If someone would do it justice instead of turning it into a Hollywood reacharound it would be a classic.

[quote]etaco wrote:
Spartan300 wrote:

…An insult to the Spartans.[/quote]

How many thousand other Greeks took a stand with the Spartans?

I know what the Spartans did was badass but we often forget they did not stand alone.

This was truly an amazing moment in the history of western civilization.

I think there were 2000 other Greeks fighting with the Spartans if I remember correctly but the Spartan king sent the home after the first day or so, and the Spartans made the defiant last stand.

[quote]JMB wrote:
BMB currently writes:

Ultimate Spiderman
Powers
New Avengers
The Pulse
Daredevil
Secret War

So, I guess just 6. All of these have original storylines, even Ultimate Spiderman. That’s a heck of a lot of work, and it gives him a whole lot of control over some of comics’ most popular characters.

As for not liking DKR, I guess everyone has different tastes. I LOVE Miller and Varley’s artwork in DKR, and while the Mutant Leader was not the most compelling of villains, I thought Miller’s treatment of the Joker and Superman were great.

JMB[/quote]

Yeah I haven’t picked up any books in a long time but I have noticed that. I’m pretty much to the point where I just buy the collected editions or tradepaper backs. Reason for this is i think there’s so much filler in comics today its crazy. You get like 1 good story arc a year and the rest is only so so(yeah there are exceptions)I’m pretty much the same way with TV shows I don’t even bother with cable just wait till the season comes out on DVD.

[quote]UAWrestler wrote:
I think there were 2000 other Greeks fighting with the Spartans if I remember correctly but the Spartan king sent the home after the first day or so, and the Spartans made the defiant last stand.[/quote]

He did send them home but I think they did some fighting and dying before they left.

I have read the Spartans knew it was a suicide mission so they only sent the older warriors that had already had their families.

[quote]Fenris wrote:
Every one here should read “Gates of Fire.” The 300 is a great graphic novel (one of my favorite), but Gates of Fire blows it away (IMHO). 300 is more operatic, while GoF is more historically accurate. As an interest to T-Men, GoF also goes into gory detail on the Spartans’ training regimines.

"When told that the Persian archers numbered so many that their arrows blotted the sun from the sky, Leonidas replied ‘Good. Then we shall fight in the shade.’- Herodotus’Histories[/quote]

Thanks for the link to http://www.beowulfandgrendel.com/ It looks like fun! Gates of Fire is an awesome book. Also good is a book called “The Ten Thousand”

I didn’t want to say to much about GOF cause it was so good it deserves it’s own thread. I figured i’d start one if some new news about the movie would come out. “If done right it could be better then Gladiator” is absolutly bang on. What i like about 300 however is, that it’s the version that the Spartans themselves wou’d have prefered.

Years later when gathered around a fire storytellers would not have centered around a Squire like GOF. They probally might not have mentioned them at all like 300. They would have told a story like Milller’s Super Hero Comic Book version. Funny enough i keep on making fun of Tobey Mcguire, but that’s who i pictured in the lead role of Xeones in GOF. Sean Connery from “The Rock” is how I pictured King Leonides, since he was really around 60 yrs old.

“Go, tell the Spartans, stranger passing by,
that here, obedient to their laws, we lie.”

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
He did send them home but I think they did some fighting and dying before they left.

I have read the Spartans knew it was a suicide mission so they only sent the older warriors that had already had their families.[/quote]

Oh yeah I know that, I wasnt trying to take away from what the other Greeks did, I just think thats why most people only think it was spartans at the battle.

[quote]sugarfree wrote:
I was about to shout plant. But most plants don’t put in so many post before. Plus they wouldn’t pick a name that mirrors the movie.

Looks like your dream project is getting made. I’ll give it a watch.[/quote]

A bit off topic, but not necessarily: http://www.penny-arcade.com/news/show/21589

FYI, I’m pretty sure I splooged my shorts watching that preview…

Video Journal 3 just released

It’s about how the Actors trained for the movie. Gee I wonder if T-Nation is interested?!

I’m one Yank who knows about the Spartan Stand against the Persian army.

When the Spartan General was told that the Persians could fire enough arrows to darken the sky he replied “Good, then we can fight in the shade”

And sure, everyone knows about the Alamo, but how many know about the Battle of Chosen Reservoir?

[quote]KneeBar wrote:
I’m one Yank who knows about the Spartan Stand against the Persian army.

When the Spartan General was told that the Persians could fire enough arrows to darken the sky he replied “Good, then we can fight in the shade”

And sure, everyone knows about the Alamo, but how many know about the Battle of Chosen Reservoir?
[/quote]

I had not heard of it but now I have, thank you.

[quote]Fenris wrote:
"When told that the Persian archers numbered so many that their arrows blotted the sun from the sky, Leonidas replied ‘Good. Then we shall fight in the shade.’- Herodotus’Histories[/quote]

I’ll be damned if those aren’t some of the strongest “Strong Words” I’ve ever heard.

I hope TC is reading this and takes note.