BigBlue[/quote]

Wow…lay off the coffee pal.

[quote]bigblue244 wrote:
TheBodyGuard wrote:
bigblue244 wrote:
doogie wrote:
bigblue244 wrote:

Steve

Thanks bro and thanks for your support, i really appreciate it. i’m not going to sit here and say that i have it worse than anybody else, and while i may be able to suggest that God dealt me a shitty hand, i just got to play with the cards i’ve been given and keep going.

bigblue[/quote]

Yeah God really dealt you a crap hand there pal…a better hand would have landed you at Tufts instead of Trinity…: )

bigblue244,

I can realize how annoying it must have been for another post to attack you not on the information of your posts but rather the English grammar behind it. I apologize for any annoyance that you may been gone through. (It’s like a whole pussy-fest in here isn’t it? Everyone’s apologizing to each other like a bunch of 6 year old crying girls :P) Needless to say, I stand by my apology. But I was really working my ass off to slowly read your post :slight_smile:

I can’t believe someone mentioned Tufts in this post. That is just a sore sore five letter word. I was rejected from it just two months ago, and boy …

I do admire the pain that both of you have gone through. I guess, I’ve been lucky and have not had that stroke of bad luck. Unfourtantly, we will find out soon enough if that does happen. I will be trying out for Bentley College’s football team in a few months. Since I’ll be weighing at the same height / same weight as you … I’m a bit nervous about the possible injuries. If anything you may want to advice on playing football at this rather small size, please, please tell!

I’ve been also at the point of sheer annoyance of other posters here before. At the end of the day, it’s still an internet post, but since I’m going to assume that many posters here rarely get insulted with the threat of physical force, we are not often used to it. I admire both sides for willing to just settle and stop the arguement.

Good luck with your future endeavors. Who knows? Maybe we’ll meet each other in an invitation meet someday. (I’m hoping to commit to Football/Track/ and Lax.) Well, probably not since Trinity is D3. Sucker. Just kidding.

Well. Time to go and do pullups and study for that cursed MCAT.

Jeff

Sing it with me now… “Why can’t we be friends! Why can’t we be friieeeeenddss!”

This is what I was putting a lot of thought the past couple of minutes.

I did a quick mathematical conversions to see what we’re at, and if they did forget to change it.

If we assume that the geniuses at NFL were smart enough to change it,

then we have two things that we are given.

The 60 Meter Dash, the 50 meter dash, and his time for the 40 yard dash.

If we convert the 40 yard dash into meters. We see that each yard is .9144 (give or take a hundreth thousand). That comes out to 36.576 meters = 40 yards.

So therefore, he ran 36.576 meters at 4.38 seconds. Now, we have his time for the 50 meter which is 5.52. If we subtract the difference in the times and distance, we see at his still acceleration phase he ran approximately 13.424 meters in 1.14 seconds. If we were to interchange that into 40 yards, we set a ratio of the distance 13.424 to the 40 yard (which is 36.576) that comes out to a ratio of .367106. Now 1.14 seconds divded by the ratio comes out to he ran from the distance of 40 yards to 50 meters at approximately a time of 3.1053 per 40 yards.

Now that seems ridiculously fast I know. HOWEVER, keep in mind that he is at a very fast point of acceleration, already in motion, has not had to take human reflex into account (no gun sound.) Yet, 3.1053 still seems very fast.

=--------=

This is now with the assumption of that the NFL Experts, forget to remember that 40 yards does not equate into 40 meters.

With that, I don’t want to write out all the math again. Here’s a quick writeup. 50 meters time - 40 meters time (remember we are assuming that they forget to change) comes out to 1.14 seconds. Multiplied by 4 = 4.56 seconds.

A time of 4.56 by BEN JOHNSON, already at a very high point of acceleration, not having to deal with the gun shot, already in motion, etc, not having to deal with initial potential energy holding him back, makes you realize one thing.

4.56 is too high of a time.

Therefore, we come to the conclusion that the NFL experts did remember to take into account that 40 yards does not equal 40 meters.

This is not about how fast he ran or could have run, rather between the arguement that 4.38 seems too slow(aka high of time). However, the time of 4.38 per 40 yards is actually correct.

When they showed those broken down splits, even back in the days, I equated it to a 40yd in the 3.9-4.0 range.

If you look back at the tape, he destroyed them from 0-10m, and the rest of the race if you broke it down tos tages was perfection, total perfection till about the last 2M.

When they showed those broken down splits, even back in the days, I equated it to a 40yd in the 3.9-4.0 range.

If you look back at the tape, he destroyed them from 0-10m, and the rest of the race if you broke it down tos tages was perfection, total perfection till about the last 2M.

[quote]pja wrote:
bigblue244 wrote:
TheBodyGuard wrote:
bigblue244 wrote:
doogie wrote:
bigblue244 wrote:

Steve

Thanks bro and thanks for your support, i really appreciate it. i’m not going to sit here and say that i have it worse than anybody else, and while i may be able to suggest that God dealt me a shitty hand, i just got to play with the cards i’ve been given and keep going.

bigblue

Yeah God really dealt you a crap hand there pal…a better hand would have landed you at Tufts instead of Trinity…: )
[/quote]

I was talking about in the field of athletics there pal… :slight_smile:

[quote]pja wrote:
bigblue244 wrote:
BigBlue

Wow…lay off the coffee pal.
[/quote]

…hey way to jump in with an insightful comment!

[quote]Mediated Life wrote:
Here is where I am lost in all this Ben Johnson talk. We compare his 50 METER split of 5.52, his 60 METER split of 6.37, yet the 40 comparison is 40 YARDS. Is that maybe an author error and maybe he ran a 4.38 40 METER not YARD?

This is what I was putting a lot of thought the past couple of minutes.

I did a quick mathematical conversions to see what we’re at, and if they did forget to change it.

If we assume that the geniuses at NFL were smart enough to change it,

then we have two things that we are given.

The 60 Meter Dash, the 50 meter dash, and his time for the 40 yard dash.

If we convert the 40 yard dash into meters. We see that each yard is .9144 (give or take a hundreth thousand). That comes out to 36.576 meters = 40 yards.

So therefore, he ran 36.576 meters at 4.38 seconds. Now, we have his time for the 50 meter which is 5.52. If we subtract the difference in the times and distance, we see at his still acceleration phase he ran approximately 13.424 meters in 1.14 seconds. If we were to interchange that into 40 yards, we set a ratio of the distance 13.424 to the 40 yard (which is 36.576) that comes out to a ratio of .367106. Now 1.14 seconds divded by the ratio comes out to he ran from the distance of 40 yards to 50 meters at approximately a time of 3.1053 per 40 yards.

Now that seems ridiculously fast I know. HOWEVER, keep in mind that he is at a very fast point of acceleration, already in motion, has not had to take human reflex into account (no gun sound.) Yet, 3.1053 still seems very fast.

=--------=

This is now with the assumption of that the NFL Experts, forget to remember that 40 yards does not equate into 40 meters.

With that, I don’t want to write out all the math again. Here’s a quick writeup. 50 meters time - 40 meters time (remember we are assuming that they forget to change) comes out to 1.14 seconds. Multiplied by 4 = 4.56 seconds.

A time of 4.56 by BEN JOHNSON, already at a very high point of acceleration, not having to deal with the gun shot, already in motion, etc, not having to deal with initial potential energy holding him back, makes you realize one thing.

4.56 is too high of a time.

Therefore, we come to the conclusion that the NFL experts did remember to take into account that 40 yards does not equal 40 meters.

This is not about how fast he ran or could have run, rather between the arguement that 4.38 seems too slow(aka high of time). However, the time of 4.38 per 40 yards is actually correct.[/quote]

Nice work! “Too slow” only in the sense that it’s not an apples to apples comparison of a how a 40 is normally timed. As someone pointed out earlier - a traditional football 40 is timed from the athletes start, not a gun and we have the whole hand timing error to deal with. Ben’s time adjusted for these errors probably then factors down to 3.9 or so. And that’s blazing :slight_smile:

BG, yes, that’s what I’m thinking, being a bit slow in mathematic calculations, that taking a ‘movement’ start and a hand time, it would equate to about a 3.9 or 4.0 40 yards.

I’m close to some of the Dads here in a top CA HS program (Oaks Christian)and usually the top 40 yd time at a Nike combine is about 4.28-4.36, somewhere in there. So, indeed, BBlue did run a fast time and really 42.5 is good for a small college. I’m a Dad of a real good 8th grader, so these things will play a part in a few years for him.
As Jumanji has said though, for FB skills, really the key is being quick for 5 or 10 yrds and you need to be quick in a “10 Yd Box”. So, maybe the shuttle is a more meaningful test.
Some quick points as I have to run:

*I went To Nashua HS waaay back. At the time, oddly enough, they had the top track team in NE and a great bunch of javelin throwers.

*The best CA sprinters are Rodney Glass and Jamere Holland at a 10.32 and 10.36 respectively.

*However, the baton coordination must not be good, as I think the best 4X100 we have out here is in the mid 41s…so far. SoCA finals are this Sat.

*I think a good 40 time as ‘usually’ measured is 4.5 or below…alot of D1 FB guys are in the 4.5s even at the skill positions.