Football Testing Results

Doogie~

Very good post, and you are exactly correct, although you are arguing with a college freshman, so it isn’t very impressive. Plus, the freshmans’ IQ, not legs are 99% chance far faster than yours.

Trinity College is a small liberal arts school in Connecticut. If I had to guess, I would say that the average SAT of the track team (including distance) is somewhere near 1300-1350… average.

Great at track? Nope.

Neither are any of the other non-scholarship schools in the NE area. I went to one after hurting my knee as a walk-on at UF… yes, the gators. Five years later I found myself lining up against future CEO’s and world changing entrepreneurs from NE… both in FB, and in track. An old man having some fun finishing up his schooling. Not the swamp for sure, but fun none the less. My knee held up, and I got to be surrounded by some of the greatest minds in the country. I kick myself for every class I skipped. What a dumbass.

You are right, the best runners from NE cannot run with the best HS runners in Texas, or Florida where I am from. But, that matters little, as 99.999% of those runners in Texas or Florida would never get into an Ivy or NESCAC school. They are ultra educated kids from the cold NE area. Hell, most kids outside of NE don’t even know how to pronounce Bowdoin.

Did the kid run a 4.38? Yes, under those timing conditions. No one cares what a FAT track athlete ran it in, because the 40 is never timed FAT… it is an art, not a science.

Plus, I am pretty certain that Ben tested positive for the hormonal profile of a steroid user, not for a specific steroid, and it was attributed to a random steroid. I read Charlie Francis’s book so long ago, I hardly remember. But, the article doesn’t have it right from what I can remember. It would be a safe bet the reporter couldn’t have gotten in to a NESCAC school either. But here we are quoting a reporter? Hmmm… definitely not a good idea… seldom do they get the facts straight. More like daily public HS textbooks on TV… not accurate, but have pretty pictures.

The forty is a hand-held time among FB players… that is all.

If the kid said he ran a 4.38 at a combine, then cool. We all know it is incredibly subjective… so where is the argument? He still ran a 4.38 no matter what you say.

Would he have placed in most conference meets down here in Tampa? Nope.

But, we may both be working for him someday. Choose better battles.

Jumanji

PS~

Big Blue PM me.

[quote]doogie wrote:
bigblue244 wrote:

first of all, don’t talk to me like an idiot like i don’t know who ben johnson is.

First of all, dumbass, if you had clicked on the link you would have seen that I cut and pasted word for word from the article. I didn’t “talk” like anything.

second, stop being a douchebag and maybe like, turn on ESPN or watch the NFL Network and you will see that each year there are dozens of NFL draft prospects that run sub 4.3s and sub 4.2s, two years ago, the punt returner for the Buffalo Bills ran a 4.18. Deion Sanders showed up late to the NFL combine, ran a 4.28, and left. the rest is history.

You don’t want to get into a football discussion with me, speedy.

Again, dumbass, read the article:

Track coaches go to Pro Timing Days, and they see scouts starting their stopwatches with their thumb, which has a slower reaction time than the index finger. They see them crowding the finish line and anticipating – guessing, basically – when someone will cross it. They see running surfaces that weren’t professionally measured or leveled. They see no starter’s gun, no automatic timing device, no wind gauge.

Grizzled track coaches love to say that the “clock doesn’t lie.” Well, it does in football.

Say someone clocks a hand-timed 4.35 in an NFL workout.

The accepted standard to convert a hand-timed event to its automatically timed equivalent is to round up to the nearest tenth of a second – in this case 4.4 – and add .24 seconds. Now you’re at 4.64.

Most football 40s don’t go on a starter’s pistol but on an athlete’s motion. The average reaction time among elite sprinters (from the gun to the moment they exert pressure on the starting block’s electronic pads) is about .15 seconds; for a football player with little track experience it probably would be closer to .2. Add that in, and you have 4.84.

also, if you knew anything about track and field, you would know that in the 100m dash, there are phases to your race, i.e. explosion phase, acceleration phase, drive phase, maintenance phase. running a 100m dash is extremely different than running a 40 yard dash.

now to explain it in laymen’s terms for you, the explosion phase, accleration phase, and drive phase of a 100m dash are much longer than a 40 yard dash because fo the distance so it takes more time. so if you take that 4.38 second 40 yard dash and do the math to figure out what that “pace” would be for the 100m dash (110 yards) you would get that his 100m dash time should have been 12.045 seconds. he ran a 9.79 because you build relative speed. he runs much faster as he builds speed.

If I knew anything about track?

That was a nice try, and you would have had a really good point if the following wasn’t also true:

Johnson was so preposterously fast that he went through 50 meters in 5.52 seconds and 60 meters in 6.37 ? both under the current world records at those distances.

His splits at 50 and 60 meters were both UNDER the world records for the 50 and 60 meters. Let that sink in before you try to respond.

next time you want to throw out some stupid shit at me, make sure u know what ur talking about.

You know absolutely nothing about what I know. I’ll admit I have more of a football background than track.

You posted with pride about your school record 400m relay this year. What was that–42.50?

I tell you what, speedy. If you know so much about track, why are you at crappy a junior college instead of somewhere with a good track program?

To be clear, I didn’t just decide to call your track team crappy to be rude. I’m basing my assessment off of last weekends NCAA Division III New England Men’s Track and Field Championships. Your team placed 13th. For Christ sake, MIT placed third! MIT? Did they pull out the floppy javelins on you or what?

Not to be a total ass, but from what I can tell your best 100m time this season was 11.40. Your school had a HIGH SCHOOL meet on campus earlier in the year. You would have placed fifth in it. Also, from what I can tell, your best 200m time this season is 23.74. That would have earned you eigth place. In the high school meet.

To be fair, maybe the weather conditions that weekend were just absolutely ideal for track or something.

Irv Black Invite - Close Competition Overshadows Poor Weather …
(Apr 22, 2006) In a typical reversal of early New England weather, rain and cold hampered many of those competing at the final session of the 2nd Annual Irv Black High School Invitational held at the Trinity College Track facility on Saturday.

Oops, I guess not.

Do you want to compare your times to Regional HIGH SCHOOL track meets in Texas?

4x100m relay
Region I–Your college team would have placed an impressive 8th.

1 Odessa Permian 41.70

2 Lewisville Flower Mound 41.82

3 North Crowley 41.87

4 Duncanville High School 42.01

5 Mansfield High School 42.12

6 DE Soto High School 42.33

7 Lewisville High School 42.45

Region II–Not even close to placing here.

1. GARLAND ‘A’ 41.25
  2. TYLER ‘A’ 41.58
  3. KLEIN FOREST ‘A’ 41.80
  4. DALLAS CARTER ‘A’ 41.86
  5. LUFKIN ‘A’ 41.88
  6. CONROE THE WOODLANDS ‘A’ 42.09
  7. KILLEEN SHOEMAKER ‘A’ 42.17

Region III–Maybe a 9th place?
1 Houston Eisenhower HS 40.49
2 Alief Elsik HS 40.94
3 Spring Westfield 41.09
4 Beaumont West Brook HS 41.33
5 Houston Cypress Fairbanks 41.59
6 League City Clear Creek H 41.94
7 Houston Aldine HS 42.28
8 Baytown Lee HS 42.48

Region IV–You would have placed third here!

1 Converse Judson ‘A’ 41.89
2 San Antonio Madison ‘A’ 42.34
3 Schertz Clemens ‘A’ 42.70

How about your 100m time of 11.40?

Region I–nope

1. Baron Batch Midland High Sch 10.64
  2. Nelson Oneygbu Lewisville High 10.72
  3. Josh Banks Duncanville High 10.75
  4. Josh Stephens Odessa Permian 10.78
  5. Denny Nedd Lewisville Flowe 10.79
  6. Cyrus Gray DE Soto High Sch 10.91
  7. Long Dao Keller High Scho 11.00
  8. Melvin Stephenson South Grand Prar 11.14

Region II–nope

1. Montague, Ryan CO WOODLANDS 10.69
  2. Buckram, Donald COPPERAS COVE 10.73
  3. Dungey, Mychal AUSTIN 10.89
  4. Alexander, Markell DALLAS CARTER 10.90
  5. Aje, Kevin GA LAKEVIEW 10.94
  6. Thompson, Leroy CS A&M 10.96
  7. Mitchell, Shane HUNTSVILLE 11.10
  8. Patton, Leon DALLAS WHITE 11.22

Region III–nope
1 Myers, Brandon Eisenhower 10.54
2 Johnson, Randy Eisenhower 10.64
3 Woolfolk, Troy Dulles 10.65
4 Johnson, Daniel Spring Woods 10.66
5 Usoro, Andrew Cinco Ranch 10.72
6. Goldsmith, Philip Cy Fair 10.82
7. Asumnu, Ricky Elsik 10.92
8. Johnson, Ershein Cy Fair 10.99

Region IV–nope

1. James, Randez Converse Judson 10.61
  2. Price, Tim CC Carroll 10.69
  3. Adeeko, Benga SA Taft 10.93
  4. Garza, B.J. Rio Grande City 10.94
  5. Wright, Marcus SA Reagan 10.96
  6. Gomez, Marcus SA Jefferson 11.03
  7. Padalecki, Dustin SA Highlands 11.10
  8. Castellanos, Edgar McAllen 11.35

So, speedy, what exactly qualifies you as a track expert?

[/quote]

THATS MY HS WESTFIELD IN HOUSTON TX: GOOD JOB BOYS

what a battle!!! if you guys are remotely in the same weight class would you consider meeting in the octagon?

i guess in the world outside of elite athletics any 40 time under 5 sec would mean you are doing something righ - fitnessly speaking

[quote]doogie wrote:

1. Aren’t CT and Thibs the same guy?

2. I get to use this for the second time today:

But it is another Canadian, Ben Johnson, who is believed to have run 40 yards faster than any human in history. Johnson is best known for injecting copious amounts of steroids and winning the 100 meters at the 1988 Olympics in Seoul in 9.79 seconds, only to have his gold medal and world record stripped after failing a post-race drug test.

Timing officials have since broken down that famed race into 10-meter increments, and Johnson was so preposterously fast that he went through 50 meters in 5.52 seconds and 60 meters in 6.37 – both under the current world records at those distances. He went through 40 yards that day in 4.38 seconds.

He was running in spikes . . . on a warm afternoon perfectly suited for sprinting . . . with a slight tailwind . . . with years of training from arguably track’s top coach, Charlie Francis . . . with Carl Lewis and six others of the fastest men on the planet chasing him . . . with 69,000 people roaring at Seoul’s Olympic Stadium . . . with hundreds of millions of people watching on TV . . . with the ultimate prize in sports, an Olympic gold medal, at stake.

And, as we learned later, with muscles built with the assistance of the anabolic steroid stanazolol.

Four-point-three-eight seconds.[/quote]

Very good article but the Ben Johnson analogy is a bit of sensationalism that skews the science of the article - implying that no way could these other world class athletes keep up with one of the world’s best sprinters who, oh by the way, was “juiced” (like all of them but I digress). Fact is, if there is any point during a “race” that another qualified athlete could “keep up” with the ben johnsons of the world, it WOULD be the first 40 yards, or more to the point, a shorter distance. The best sprinters are those that get up to top speed the quickest AND hold that speed or lose less of it thru 100 or 200 meters.

So while I think that article was fantastic at illustrating the inaccuracies of the timing methods, I think there is at least an undertone of “no way these guys could hang with ben”…when we know this is not correct when we look at some of the OLY lifters who compared favorably to sprinters for short distances.

Again, great article though.

Not naming any names, but may I ask this arguement continues to please write in complete coherent sentences?

I’m reading both arguements; one of them is just a big run-on sentence and it’s hard to follow.

[quote]bigblue244 wrote:
doogie wrote:

But it is another Canadian, Ben Johnson, who is believed to have run 40 yards faster than any human in history. Johnson is best known for injecting copious amounts of steroids and winning the 100 meters at the 1988 Olympics in Seoul in 9.79 seconds, only to have his gold medal and world record stripped after failing a post-race drug test.

Timing officials have since broken down that famed race into 10-meter increments, and Johnson was so preposterously fast that he went through 50 meters in 5.52 seconds and 60 meters in 6.37 – both under the current world records at those distances. He went through 40 yards that day in 4.38 seconds.

He was running in spikes . . . on a warm afternoon perfectly suited for sprinting . . . with a slight tailwind . . . with years of training from arguably track’s top coach, Charlie Francis . . . with Carl Lewis and six others of the fastest men on the planet chasing him . . . with 69,000 people roaring at Seoul’s Olympic Stadium . . . with hundreds of millions of people watching on TV . . . with the ultimate prize in sports, an Olympic gold medal, at stake.

And, as we learned later, with muscles built with the assistance of the anabolic steroid stanazolol.

Four-point-three-eight seconds.

first of all, don’t talk to me like an idiot like i don’t know who ben johnson is. second, stop being a douchebag and maybe like, turn on ESPN or watch the NFL Network and you will see that each year there are dozens of NFL draft prospects that run sub 4.3s and sub 4.2s, two years ago, the punt returner for the Buffalo Bills ran a 4.18. Deion Sanders showed up late to the NFL combine, ran a 4.28, and left. the rest is history. also, if you knew anything about track and field, you would know that in the 100m dash, there are phases to your race, i.e. explosion phase, acceleration phase, drive phase, maintenance phase. running a 100m dash is extremely different than running a 40 yard dash.

now to explain it in laymen’s terms for you, the explosion phase, accleration phase, and drive phase of a 100m dash are much longer than a 40 yard dash because fo the distance so it takes more time. so if you take that 4.38 second 40 yard dash and do the math to figure out what that “pace” would be for the 100m dash (110 yards) you would get that his 100m dash time should have been 12.045 seconds. he ran a 9.79 because you build relative speed. he runs much faster as he builds speed.

next time you want to throw out some stupid shit at me, make sure u know what ur talking about. [/quote]

Uh, I believe the above is patently incorrect - you do not build any speed after I believe ( I may not nail it exact) 60 meters. No one is still accelerating that late…don’t know if I’m nitpicking b/c I agree with most of what you wrote but just pointing that lil fact out.

[quote]bigblue244 wrote:
doogie wrote:
bigblue244 wrote:

first of all, don’t talk to me like an idiot like i don’t know who ben johnson is.

First of all, dumbass, if you had clicked on the link you would have seen that I cut and pasted word for word from the article. I didn’t “talk” like anything.

second, stop being a douchebag and maybe like, turn on ESPN or watch the NFL Network and you will see that each year there are dozens of NFL draft prospects that run sub 4.3s and sub 4.2s, two years ago, the punt returner for the Buffalo Bills ran a 4.18. Deion Sanders showed up late to the NFL combine, ran a 4.28, and left. the rest is history.

Track coaches go to Pro Timing Days, and they see scouts starting their stopwatches with their thumb, which has a slower reaction time than the index finger. They see them crowding the finish line and anticipating – guessing, basically – when someone will cross it. They see running surfaces that weren’t professionally measured or leveled. They see no starter’s gun, no automatic timing device, no wind gauge.

Grizzled track coaches love to say that the “clock doesn’t lie.” Well, it does in football.

The accepted standard to convert a hand-timed event to its automatically timed equivalent is to round up to the nearest tenth of a second – in this case 4.4 – and add .24 seconds. Now you’re at 4.64.

Most football 40s don’t go on a starter’s pistol but on an athlete’s motion. The average reaction time among elite sprinters (from the gun to the moment they exert pressure on the starting block’s electronic pads) is about .15 seconds; for a football player with little track experience it probably would be closer to .2. Add that in, and you have 4.84.

also, if you knew anything about track and field, you would know that in the 100m dash, there are phases to your race, i.e. explosion phase, acceleration phase, drive phase, maintenance phase. running a 100m dash is extremely different than running a 40 yard dash.

That was a nice try, and you would have had a really good point if the following wasn’t also true:

Johnson was so preposterously fast that he went through 50 meters in 5.52 seconds and 60 meters in 6.37 ? both under the current world records at those distances.

His splits at 50 and 60 meters were both UNDER the world records for the 50 and 60 meters. Let that sink in before you try to respond.

you are comparing me to one of the fastest men to ever walk the earth. obviously i am not even in the same class as this man, nor did i have all of this sophisticated technology to time my 40 or whatever. i am just stating what a few guys timed me with watches. i never said it was accurate. i was just merely stating what my time was.

next time you want to throw out some stupid shit at me, make sure u know what ur talking about.

You know absolutely nothing about what I know. I’ll admit I have more of a football background than track.

You posted with pride about your school record 400m relay this year. What was that–42.50?

I tell you what, speedy. If you know so much about track, why are you at crappy a junior college instead of somewhere with a good track program?

To be clear, I didn’t just decide to call your track team crappy to be rude. I’m basing my assessment off of last weekends NCAA Division III New England Men’s Track and Field Championships. Your team placed 13th. For Christ sake, MIT placed third! MIT? Did they pull out the floppy javelins on you or what?

Not to be a total ass, but from what I can tell your best 100m time this season was 11.40. Your school had a HIGH SCHOOL meet on campus earlier in the year. You would have placed fifth in it. Also, from what I can tell, your best 200m time this season is 23.74. That would have earned you eigth place. In the high school meet.

To be fair, maybe the weather conditions that weekend were just absolutely ideal for track or something.

(Apr 22, 2006) In a typical reversal of early New England weather, rain and cold hampered many of those competing at the final session of the 2nd Annual Irv Black High School Invitational held at the Trinity College Track facility on Saturday.

Oops, I guess not.

4x100m relay

1 Odessa Permian 41.70

3 North Crowley 41.87

1. GARLAND ‘A’ 41.25
  2. TYLER ‘A’ 41.58
  5. LUFKIN ‘A’ 41.88

2 Alief Elsik HS 40.94
3 Spring Westfield 41.09
8 Baytown Lee HS 42.48

Region I–nope

Region II–nope

Region III–nope

Region IV–nope

the crappy junior college i go to is actually one of the best colleges, not junior colleges, in the country. it is ranked 24th in the nation for liberal arts. i am here to get an education not to go to the olympics. as far as my team goes, there are 30 members on the team and 4 that participate in field events. we are not a big team, and barely have any funding. we cannot compete with large teams due to sheer numbers. but aside from all of that, you are personally calling me out and decided to do some research on me to prove your points, which i must say is somewhat weird/stalker-ish. i usually don’t disrespect people because i absolutely hate when i am disrespected so i know how it makes other people feel and i assure you i am biting my fucking tongue right now from saying some shit to you that i think you absolutely deserve but will not stoop to your level. if you knew anything about me, i mean anything, you would know that i don’t like to get personal about myself for numerous reasons. you would also know that within the last two years, i was in an almost fatal car accident in which i lacerated my liver, lost 75% of my blood, and was in the hospital for 2 months due to surgery complications. doctors told me that i should not participate in contact sports, but i did anyways once i was better and tried playing football while wearing a flak jacket that severely prohibited my mobility. i then broke my hip in my third game back and had to have complete hip reconstruction surgery the summer before going into my freshmen year at college. what did this do besides make me go to a “crappy junior college” as you put it? well it took from me numerous scholarship opportunities at 1-aa and division 2 schools to play football because i was pretty good and people did think i was fast from my 40 times, even though as you say, they are shit. i am not a wealthy person nor do i live in a wealthy family so this was absolutely devastating that i could not go to the schools that would help with tuition. so what did i do? i worked my fucking ass off to get into Trinity which is a great academic school and will have me going places i never would have been able to if i went to a community college or what not, and am working during the year and 2 jobs during the summer because i am on financial aid and will have to pay off student loans. i also had to quit football, and learn how to fucking walk again after my hip surgery. but since i am a competitive person and love sports i decided to try track. after extensive rehab i came out and ran the 55m in 6.64 seconds, which if you look, isn’t that bad and had me 11th in D3 New Englands. then i pulled my left calf, missed the end of the season, came out for outdoor season, ran an 11.40 the first meet and pulled my right hamstring two meets later and just ran the 4x100 for the rest of the year until i pulled my right groin in the last leg of the 4x100 where we ran a 42.50 and would have ran much faster had i not pulled it. the reason for all my injuries is because after a hip surgery like the one i had, your body does too much to compensate for specific weaknesses so my body is completely off-whack and mis-aligned. but i don’t let that shit hold me back but i do not complain about it, i just love to compete. if i ever get healthy i guarantee you i will be one of the best sprinters in division 3, and i actually like people like you to doubt me because without them, i would have quit long ago, and also i would have no one to throw it in their face once i prove them wrong. i do not care what you think about me, because you don’t even know me, but i just want to let you know that i am sorry for personally offending you, for as you have pointed out i know nothing about you as well. i was merely trying to defend myself, and i guess looked like an ass in the process. if you still want to say that my 40 time is shit, that’s fine, and to the guy that posted saying ‘since when do you run the 40 yard against people?’ i didnt mean you actually race someone, i meant the people you are running them with at the time, hence you compare your times to them and to them your times are relative, so essentially you are running against them. i hope that clears everything up. if not then it’s whatever.

[/quote]

You sound like a GAMEDOG; you got my vote. Good luck to you and I hope you accomplish your goals.

Steve

[quote]Mediated Life wrote:
Not naming any names, but may I ask this arguement continues to please write in complete coherent sentences?

I’m reading both arguements; one of them is just a big run-on sentence and it’s hard to follow. [/quote]

Dear Mr. Mediated Life,

Unfortunately, unlike doogie, I did not have a few days to do research, develop a thesis statement, a clear argument, and conclusion for the said argument you have referenced.

That is due to the fact that I am still in class, and have these crazy things called finals. I have had more work to do in the last week than I’ve ever had to do in my entire life.

So, when I got back to my room after taking my Microbiology final and was taking a little break before my econ final an hour later, I came onto T-Nation because I find it relaxing to read about stuff I love, and proceeded to read doogie’s post (who by the way if you click on his profile is a “couch potato” with “too high a body fat for the years he has been training,” yet still has the right to call me out).

Upon finishing doogie’s post, I became frustrated and enraged at the audacity of some people and the sheer arrogance he displayed. It boggled my mind that some people, like doogie, could get such pleasure on bringing other people down, someone he doesn’t even know, to I guess make himself feel better? In fact, I don’t even know what he was trying to accomplish after looking at his myriad of research and quotations.

I didn’t even read half of it because I was so flabbergasted by the sheer conglomeration of his hatred that spewed out of his words. I was so intent upon defending myself, I (with the limited time I had before my final) proceeded to let my fingers fly and type out my emotions, hence a big run-on as you put it.

I’ll tell you the truth, it ruined the rest of my day. While taking my econ exam I just kept thinking about how stupid the argument was. I’ve never seen someone put so much effort into debunking a supposedly false claim just because I said a few coaches had me clocked at a 4.38 at the Holy Cross Combine two years ago. Big Fucking Deal. Grow up. Hell, with all the time and effort he put into telling me I was wrong, I hope for my sake and everyone elses that he joins the government or CIA and makes this world a better place with his linguistical and research skills.

I hope that was better. Also, there was no sarcasm present in my response.

Best Regards,
BigBlue

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:
bigblue244 wrote:
doogie wrote:

first of all, don’t talk to me like an idiot like i don’t know who ben johnson is. second, stop being a douchebag and maybe like, turn on ESPN or watch the NFL Network and you will see that each year there are dozens of NFL draft prospects that run sub 4.3s and sub 4.2s, two years ago, the punt returner for the Buffalo Bills ran a 4.18. Deion Sanders showed up late to the NFL combine, ran a 4.28, and left. the rest is history. also, if you knew anything about track and field, you would know that in the 100m dash, there are phases to your race, i.e. explosion phase, acceleration phase, drive phase, maintenance phase. running a 100m dash is extremely different than running a 40 yard dash.

Uh, I believe the above is patently incorrect - you do not build any speed after I believe ( I may not nail it exact) 60 meters. No one is still accelerating that late…don’t know if I’m nitpicking b/c I agree with most of what you wrote but just pointing that lil fact out.
[/quote]

I never said you built speed after 60 meters? I was merely stating that a the explosion and acceleration phase of a 40 yard dash is much shorter than that of a 100 meter dash. Hence, the reason why some guys can run faster 40 yard dashes and get smoked by someone else in the 100 who they may have beaten in the 40.

In the 100, you tend to not even rise until the 30m mark, signalling the end of the acceleration and drive phase. By that time, the 40 is already over. The top speed is reached at around 60 meters, and then maintenance phase til around 80 meters, and then end/hold phase until 100. I hope that clarifies what I meant to say.

bigblue244 wrote:
doogie wrote:
bigblue244 wrote:

you are comparing me to one of the fastest men to ever walk the earth. obviously i am not even in the same class as this man, nor did i have all of this sophisticated technology to time my 40 or whatever. i am just stating what a few guys timed me with watches. i never said it was accurate. i was just merely stating what my time was.

Oops, I guess not.

4x100m relay

1 Odessa Permian 41.70

3 North Crowley 41.87

1. GARLAND ‘A’ 41.25
  2. TYLER ‘A’ 41.58
  5. LUFKIN ‘A’ 41.88

2 Alief Elsik HS 40.94
3 Spring Westfield 41.09
8 Baytown Lee HS 42.48

Region I–nope

Region II–nope

Region III–nope

Region IV–nope

the crappy junior college i go to is actually one of the best colleges, not junior colleges, in the country. it is ranked 24th in the nation for liberal arts. i am here to get an education not to go to the olympics. as far as my team goes, there are 30 members on the team and 4 that participate in field events. we are not a big team, and barely have any funding. we cannot compete with large teams due to sheer numbers. but aside from all of that, you are personally calling me out and decided to do some research on me to prove your points, which i must say is somewhat weird/stalker-ish. i usually don’t disrespect people because i absolutely hate when i am disrespected so i know how it makes other people feel and i assure you i am biting my fucking tongue right now from saying some shit to you that i think you absolutely deserve but will not stoop to your level. if you knew anything about me, i mean anything, you would know that i don’t like to get personal about myself for numerous reasons. you would also know that within the last two years, i was in an almost fatal car accident in which i lacerated my liver, lost 75% of my blood, and was in the hospital for 2 months due to surgery complications. doctors told me that i should not participate in contact sports, but i did anyways once i was better and tried playing football while wearing a flak jacket that severely prohibited my mobility. i then broke my hip in my third game back and had to have complete hip reconstruction surgery the summer before going into my freshmen year at college. what did this do besides make me go to a “crappy junior college” as you put it? well it took from me numerous scholarship opportunities at 1-aa and division 2 schools to play football because i was pretty good and people did think i was fast from my 40 times, even though as you say, they are shit. i am not a wealthy person nor do i live in a wealthy family so this was absolutely devastating that i could not go to the schools that would help with tuition. so what did i do? i worked my fucking ass off to get into Trinity which is a great academic school and will have me going places i never would have been able to if i went to a community college or what not, and am working during the year and 2 jobs during the summer because i am on financial aid and will have to pay off student loans. i also had to quit football, and learn how to fucking walk again after my hip surgery. but since i am a competitive person and love sports i decided to try track. after extensive rehab i came out and ran the 55m in 6.64 seconds, which if you look, isn’t that bad and had me 11th in D3 New Englands. then i pulled my left calf, missed the end of the season, came out for outdoor season, ran an 11.40 the first meet and pulled my right hamstring two meets later and just ran the 4x100 for the rest of the year until i pulled my right groin in the last leg of the 4x100 where we ran a 42.50 and would have ran much faster had i not pulled it. the reason for all my injuries is because after a hip surgery like the one i had, your body does too much to compensate for specific weaknesses so my body is completely off-whack and mis-aligned. but i don’t let that shit hold me back but i do not complain about it, i just love to compete. if i ever get healthy i guarantee you i will be one of the best sprinters in division 3, and i actually like people like you to doubt me because without them, i would have quit long ago, and also i would have no one to throw it in their face once i prove them wrong. i do not care what you think about me, because you don’t even know me, but i just want to let you know that i am sorry for personally offending you, for as you have pointed out i know nothing about you as well. i was merely trying to defend myself, and i guess looked like an ass in the process. if you still want to say that my 40 time is shit, that’s fine, and to the guy that posted saying ‘since when do you run the 40 yard against people?’ i didnt mean you actually race someone, i meant the people you are running them with at the time, hence you compare your times to them and to them your times are relative, so essentially you are running against them. i hope that clears everything up. if not then it’s whatever.

You sound like a GAMEDOG; you got my vote. Good luck to you and I hope you accomplish your goals.

Steve[/quote]

Thanks bro and thanks for your support, i really appreciate it. i’m not going to sit here and say that i have it worse than anybody else, and while i may be able to suggest that God dealt me a shitty hand, i just got to play with the cards i’ve been given and keep going.

no sense in complaining, just wastes time. hopefully this summer i won’t be breaking my hip or whatever and will be able to train. i’ll keep you posted with how everything goes.

bigblue

[quote]el magico wrote:
what a battle!!! if you guys are remotely in the same weight class would you consider meeting in the octagon?

i guess in the world outside of elite athletics any 40 time under 5 sec would mean you are doing something righ - fitnessly speaking[/quote]

i would meet this guy in the octagon any day of the week. it’s too bad he lives across the country. we could video-tape it, wouldn’t be a bad show.

according to this guy, and he is somewhat correct, the 40 time means nothing unless you have it systematically broken down by film with computers and robots. unfortunately 95% of the population doesn’t have that access or capability so we go with what is the norm, hand times. it’s all relative, but that’s what it is.

Very good article but the Ben Johnson analogy is a bit of sensationalism that skews the science of the article - implying that no way could these other world class athletes keep up with one of the world’s best sprinters who, oh by the way, was “juiced” (like all of them but I digress). Fact is, if there is any point during a “race” that another qualified athlete could “keep up” with the ben johnsons of the world, it WOULD be the first 40 yards, or more to the point, a shorter distance. [/quote]

The fact is Johnson’s 50m split was below the world record 50m time. No one in the history of the world has kept up with that. We are talking about the fastest 40 ever run.

Maurice Greene’s world record 50m time was 5.56 compared to Johnson’s 5.52 split. At that short of a distance, .04 is huge. If Maurice Greene is that far behind at 50m, there are very few GREAT athletes that would be within .2 seconds.

In the end, though, Lombardi knew it all:

“What the hell difference does it make? He gets in the end zone, doesn’t he? Fourteen seconds, I don’t know.” Vince Lombardi when asked about Paul Hornung’s 40 time.

This is a thread of epic proportions. Let’s review:

1. Complete hijack.
  2. Run-on sentences.
  3. Ben Johnson talk. (always fun)
  4. HUGE, emotionally charged posts.
  5. Challenge to a cage fight.

Lastly…
6) bigblue24 got OOGIED!

bigblue244,

I’ll offer a partial apology. I guess I haven’t been sleeping enough and am getting a little cranky. I shouldn’t have gone off on your track skills (and to be clear, that only took about 10 minutes of cutting and pasting). That was wrong, and I apologize. I have respect for the effort you and everyone else puts into bettering themselves.

I only did that because of the attitude you threw at the first guy who questioned your 4.38. If you had shrugged him off and acknowledged that there is no way in hell that you ran anywhere near a legitimate 4.38, I probably wouldn’t have responded at all.

As it was,though, I didn’t call you out at all in my first post. I just posted the Ben Johnson article with absolutely NO commentary on it. Instead of reading it and having a rational response, you came back with three quick semi-coherent responses written with shitty capitalization, accusations that I knew nothing about track or football, the inclusion of the third-grade phrase “ur just a hater”, and the use of “u” and “ur” in the same sentence in which you called ME stupid. Calling me doucebag was what really set me off. I copyrighted the use of “douchebag” a long time ago.

After those three posts, it was clear your panties were wadded up, and it seemed like too much fun to let it go. I admit I do enjoy arguing on the internet. However, I have a sense of reality.

Never would something written by someone I don’t know make me “frustrated and enraged.” It certainly would never ruin “the rest of my day.” Despite what you wrote, I don’t get pleasure from bringing other people down, but once you went off on me(and you did attack me first)I had no qualms about going all out.

I’m trying to wrap up a masters at night (while teaching during the day). I’m stuck in front of this computer for what feels like 50 hours a day. Ripping into you was just a nice 20 minute diversion. 10 minutes of research, 10 minutes of typing. Don’t take shit so seriously.

Actually, (from what I could gather from your long, rambling, unpunctuated response) we have a lot in common.

In high school I went into the hospital for a simple knee surgery. I ended up with a staphylococcus aureus infection. I’m allergic to penicillin, and when they gave me vancomycin it almost killed me. The doctors couldn’t kill the infection, researchers from Texas A&M came down and took all kinds of samples from our locker room, then sealed it off. I came within 36 hours of having my left leg amputated.

I was hospitalized for about three months and bedridden at home for about three more. Staph. destroys cartilage, so my knee was useless and my leg was bone thin. Long, hard rehab, blah blah blah… You know what it was like. I have complete respect for what you’ve gone through to come back from your injuries and accomplish what you have so far.

I know what you mean when you say you keep getting re-injured. I eventually ran track (poorly), played tennis, and football again. Because I never really fixed the imbalances, the injuries kept coming. After highschool, I played one year of DII football but had to have more work on both knees, and finally turned away from hopes of playing again.

You really are lucky to have found this site. There was nothing like this when I was your age. You should be picking the brains of Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson every day. I would annoy the shit out of them. Get yourself balanced out and get to nationals by your senior season.

Oddly enough, I also went to a little DIII liberal arts college up north for awhile (one of my high school coaches had gotten the defensive coordinator job), so that is something else we have in common. I know exactly what type of academic background is required to get in. That made attacking your track team even more unfair, I admit. To be fair, though, your first few responses did not indicate a real sharp mind at work. Having classes that involved sitting around a table with seven other students and the professor was priceless. I learned more in the time I spent there than I have the rest of my never ending academic career.

Good luck to you

Did you not at least think the floppy javelin comment was funny? Come on: http://www.houseofdiabolique.com/hall/lamar/jav.ram

[quote]oboffill wrote:

Lastly…
6) bigblue24 got OOGIED![/quote]

oogied by doogie, no less.

[quote]doogie wrote:
TheBodyGuard wrote:

Very good article but the Ben Johnson analogy is a bit of sensationalism that skews the science of the article - implying that no way could these other world class athletes keep up with one of the world’s best sprinters who, oh by the way, was “juiced” (like all of them but I digress). Fact is, if there is any point during a “race” that another qualified athlete could “keep up” with the ben johnsons of the world, it WOULD be the first 40 yards, or more to the point, a shorter distance.

The fact is Johnson’s 50m split was below the world record 50m time. No one in the history of the world has kept up with that. We are talking about the fastest 40 ever run.

Maurice Greene’s world record 50m time was 5.56 compared to Johnson’s 5.52 split. At that short of a distance, .04 is huge. If Maurice Greene is that far behind at 50m, there are very few GREAT athletes that would be within .2 seconds.

In the end, though, Lombardi knew it all:

“What the hell difference does it make? He gets in the end zone, doesn’t he? Fourteen seconds, I don’t know.” Vince Lombardi when asked about Paul Hornung’s 40 time.
[/quote]

Not to start another pissing contest but I’m sure you’re smart enough to understand my point - I WAS speaking of 40 yards - shorter than 50 meters as you are aware and the point was, if another world class athlete of another sport could hang in any portion of a “race” with a world class sprinter - it would be the shorter distance.

And the article skews this simple fact with the Ben Johnson undertone. And the foregoing is not my mere opinion - it’s been proven with world class OLY lifters and short sprint times…thus there is no doubt the “chasm” implied by the article between sprinters and qualified football players is simply not that great - not for 40 yards. That was my only point.

Otherwise, it was a great article and instructive post by you.

[quote]oboffill wrote:
This is a thread of epic proportions. Let’s review:

1. Complete hijack.
  2. Run-on sentences.
  3. Ben Johnson talk. (always fun)
  4. HUGE, emotionally charged posts.
  5. Challenge to a cage fight.

Lastly…
6) bigblue24 got OOGIED![/quote]

i don’t even know what that means, i’m guessing it means “owned.” hey, you win some you lose some, i just never go down without a fight…haha.

[quote]doogie wrote:
bigblue244,

I’ll offer a partial apology. I guess I haven’t been sleeping enough and am getting a little cranky. I shouldn’t have gone off on your track skills (and to be clear, that only took about 10 minutes of cutting and pasting). That was wrong, and I apologize. I have respect for the effort you and everyone else puts into bettering themselves.

I only did that because of the attitude you threw at the first guy who questioned your 4.38. If you had shrugged him off and acknowledged that there is no way in hell that you ran anywhere near a legitimate 4.38, I probably wouldn’t have responded at all.

As it was,though, I didn’t call you out at all in my first post. I just posted the Ben Johnson article with absolutely NO commentary on it. Instead of reading it and having a rational response, you came back with three quick semi-coherent responses written with shitty capitalization, accusations that I knew nothing about track or football, the inclusion of the third-grade phrase “ur just a hater”, and the use of “u” and “ur” in the same sentence in which you called ME stupid. Calling me doucebag was what really set me off. I copyrighted the use of “douchebag” a long time ago.

After those three posts, it was clear your panties were wadded up, and it seemed like too much fun to let it go. I admit I do enjoy arguing on the internet. However, I have a sense of reality.

Never would something written by someone I don’t know make me “frustrated and enraged.” It certainly would never ruin “the rest of my day.” Despite what you wrote, I don’t get pleasure from bringing other people down, but once you went off on me(and you did attack me first)I had no qualms about going all out.

I’m trying to wrap up a masters at night (while teaching during the day). I’m stuck in front of this computer for what feels like 50 hours a day. Ripping into you was just a nice 20 minute diversion. 10 minutes of research, 10 minutes of typing. Don’t take shit so seriously.

Actually, (from what I could gather from your long, rambling, unpunctuated response) we have a lot in common.

In high school I went into the hospital for a simple knee surgery. I ended up with a staphylococcus aureus infection. I’m allergic to penicillin, and when they gave me vancomycin it almost killed me. The doctors couldn’t kill the infection, researchers from Texas A&M came down and took all kinds of samples from our locker room, then sealed it off. I came within 36 hours of having my left leg amputated.

I was hospitalized for about three months and bedridden at home for about three more. Staph. destroys cartilage, so my knee was useless and my leg was bone thin. Long, hard rehab, blah blah blah… You know what it was like. I have complete respect for what you’ve gone through to come back from your injuries and accomplish what you have so far.

I know what you mean when you say you keep getting re-injured. I eventually ran track (poorly), played tennis, and football again. Because I never really fixed the imbalances, the injuries kept coming. After highschool, I played one year of DII football but had to have more work on both knees, and finally turned away from hopes of playing again.

You really are lucky to have found this site. There was nothing like this when I was your age. You should be picking the brains of Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson every day. I would annoy the shit out of them. Get yourself balanced out and get to nationals by your senior season.

Oddly enough, I also went to a little DIII liberal arts college up north for awhile (one of my high school coaches had gotten the defensive coordinator job), so that is something else we have in common. I know exactly what type of academic background is required to get in. That made attacking your track team even more unfair, I admit. To be fair, though, your first few responses did not indicate a real sharp mind at work. Having classes that involved sitting around a table with seven other students and the professor was priceless. I learned more in the time I spent there than I have the rest of my never ending academic career.

Good luck to you

Did you not at least think the floppy javelin comment was funny? Come on: http://www.houseofdiabolique.com/hall/lamar/jav.ram

[/quote]

doogie,

i already apologized but i will again. the only reason why i responded to that first guy in such a way is because i’ve had people doubt me constantly throughout my entire life, and i always feel slighted when people tell me i can’t do things. so when he was like i bet my left nut you don’t run a 4.38, i didn’t know he meant by systematic lazer systems and computerized timing sequences (because 99.9% of forty times are not timed that way). so i was like i bet i do, because i have no matter how unaccurate, and then all that shit started. i mean sure my time was realistically illegitimate, but like i have been saying all along it’s all relative. sure it’s probably closer to a 4.7-4.8 but i don’t have the luxury of actually knowing.

also, i did not know that everyone on this site was an english professor and a master in the use of grammar. i come here to escape my school-work and relax. if i had known that everyone needed a grammatically correct, spell-checked, final draft of my response, i would have posted as such.

furthermore, i became so angry about your response, even though as you said you are “someone i don’t know,” because you in fact you have no idea who i am. so when you first came out so intent on crushing my aformentioned forty time as undeniable falsehood, and then went through all that work to prove me wrong with stats and articles and whatever, i took that as a personal attack from someone that doesn’t have the right to do so. but i am sure you felt the same way about my response so i can’t blame you either.

regardless. apology accepted and i am sorry for being an incoherent and emotional run-on sentence asshole. do not shy away from arguments with me in the future, though, i will get you one of these days. also, i just want you to know i respect you even more from what you have said, because i sure as hell know what it’s like to be down-and-out more times than not.

and the whole floppy javelin, i didn’t even remember what it was from at first. now that i do, it’s hilarious. haha.

nice talk, see you out there.

bigblue

[quote]doogie wrote:

Four-point-three-eight seconds.[/quote]

Here is where I am lost in all this Ben Johnson talk. We compare his 50 METER split of 5.52, his 60 METER split of 6.37, yet the 40 comparison is 40 YARDS. Is that maybe an author error and maybe he ran a 4.38 40 METER not YARD?

[quote]snipeout wrote:
doogie wrote:

Here is where I am lost in all this Ben Johnson talk. We compare his 50 METER split of 5.52, his 60 METER split of 6.37, yet the 40 comparison is 40 YARDS. Is that maybe an author error and maybe he ran a 4.38 40 METER not YARD?[/quote]

The whole article is about the 40 yard dash. There isn’t an error. They looked at his 40 YARD time because that is the most commonly timed event for evaluating talent. They looked at the 50m and 60m times because there are world records at those marks.