Food Guide Pyramid

[quote]
Is there any significant physiological difference between white bread and whole grain bread?[/quote]
Whole bread contains more protien, unsaturated fats and generally far more dietary fibre. Over here in Australia we have the same arguement, but if you break the diet down to its macros a diet with whole grains instead of processed cereals has sufficient amounts of CHO, protien and good amounts of unsaturated fats.

It is also recommended that atheletes and young trainees increase their intake of protien, although our “A guide to healthy Eating” only reccommends 1 serve of protien daily (my personal bugbear, for nuts are included in this category). The major problem is with general compliance, for the recommendatons are very general - categorising a handful of seeds as a serve of cereals; and is equivalent to 2 slices of {shitty} Wonder white.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
I think a lot of the points/topics Brick brings up on these forums are not of the concern of the people on these boards.

No one on these boards has any interest in following a food pyramid. We all strive to follow/figure out diets that work for us personally to help us reach our goals optimally. This thread is purely for entertainment and really has no value to anyone on these boards.

[/quote]

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
I think a lot of the points/topics Brick brings up on these forums are not of the concern of the people on these boards.

No one on these boards has any interest in following a food pyramid. We all strive to follow/figure out diets that work for us personally to help us reach our goals optimally. This thread is purely for entertainment and really has no value to anyone on these boards.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Then why follow me in my own threads?

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]

Then why follow me in my own threads? [/quote]

I agree, I’m just explaining to you why you get so much guff for posting this sort of stuff.

Raj, that wasn’t directed to you. You and I have very good discussion.

Brick, I feel like shit after eating oatmeal, whole grain pasta, and brown rice. I have found that my body composition and energy levels are much better when I consume white rice, white potatoes, regular pasta, etc. Am I an alien or something?

[quote]Elite0423 wrote:
Brick, I feel like shit after eating oatmeal, whole grain pasta, and brown rice. I have found that my body composition and energy levels are much better when I consume white rice, white potatoes, regular pasta, etc. Am I an alien or something?[/quote]

Hobbit. Definitely Hobbit.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
Actually, if we were to break this down, we’d probably get a macronutrient spread looking something like:

50-65% CHO
15-25% P
20-25% F

That’s actually the breakdown of how MANY athletes eat, and they seem to be doing just fine! You know, like world records in some cases. [/quote]

Yes, athletes who train for hours a day. Why would the average person be eating so many carbs if they are just going to sit around all day?

I’m sure the handful of photoshoppers here can alter this diagram to be more accurate.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
I’m sure the handful of photoshoppers here can alter this diagram to be more accurate.[/quote]

Diagrams are pointless. Everyones body is different and responds differently to types of fuel. Experiment and find out what works best for YOU.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
I’m sure the handful of photoshoppers here can alter this diagram to be more accurate.[/quote]

Diagrams are pointless. Everyones body is different and responds differently to types of fuel. Experiment and find out what works best for YOU.[/quote]

Diagrams always get me with the fancy arrays of colours and art. I can’t help it!

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
With all this talk about sedentary lifestyle, did ANYONE see PHYSICAL ACTIVITY listed in the diagram? [/quote]

I thought that’s what the stairs on the left represented…

I agree that following the food pyramid is not what caused people worldwide to become fatasses in just a few decades. By having a large grain section (obv this pyramid has a smaller section for grain than the old one) have facilitated an increase in processed grain foods, but that’s questionable. I suppose bottom line is that if you took an average person’s diet and used it to draw a pyramid it would look nothing like the one in the first post.

Postscript: I don’t see eggs listed and think they would be a good addition under milk/dairy.

[quote]EvanX wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
Actually, if we were to break this down, we’d probably get a macronutrient spread looking something like:

50-65% CHO
15-25% P
20-25% F

That’s actually the breakdown of how MANY athletes eat, and they seem to be doing just fine! You know, like world records in some cases. [/quote]

Yes, athletes who train for hours a day. Why would the average person be eating so many carbs if they are just going to sit around all day?

[/quote]

You’re right, and he said that the Food Guide is not optimal for sedentary people (as its carb rich) but that it is not the cause of obesity or health problems like many state.

[quote]BrianW wrote:
Postscript: I don’t see eggs listed and think they would be a good addition under milk/dairy.[/quote]

They are not dairy nor milk so why would you put them in the category?

We should just put a T-Nation slice on the chart, which covers the entire thing.

[quote]EvanX wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

50-65% CHO
15-25% P
20-25% F

[/quote]

Please see the left hand side of the chart.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:

Diagrams are pointless. Everyones body is different and responds differently to types of fuel. Experiment and find out what works best for YOU.[/quote]

I wish people would do this. Most of society are sheep and need everything laid out in front of them and follow whatever they see on tv. Because if it’s on tv it’s absolutely true and no profits are made from any commercials.

Cheap and extremely convenient… Looks a lot like someone wrote down the % and type of food which your average supermarket stocks over here, i.e. lots of carbs and milk products and little else.

I dunno man, given what most people consider exercise (i.e. some jogging or whatever), maybe they really don’t need that kind of carb-load? Might not be such a bad thing to keep insulin down a little via eating more fat? Then again, I don’t really know… That pyramid seems to be exactly how most people over here in the rural parts of Germany eat, and they’re all suffering from clogged vessels etc by age 40 etc, overweight or not, and most are not inactive or anything…

I know you don’t need to eat more protein as a regular guy, but why not do it anyway (unless money is a real issue)? Will hardly hurt them… I’d also go for a more even spread of fat cals vs. carb cals, and I don’t say that just to be all paleo or whatever.

How’s it going, brick?

My reply didn’t go through yesterday…Brick, your a knowledgeable guy. You used to be the one i looked for in the latest replies on the BB and Beginners section (along with PX, Stu, C_C etc…).

With your current profile picture and these threads your starting it’s hard to take you seriously anymore, it makes you look very one sided (not that you care what i think, but others are starting to think this too i’m sure). I would hate for you to get blown into obscurity like other members.

I’m glad your passionate on what lifestyle you choose, congrats, i think everybody should be full force with whatever they are doing. But, this is a Body Building website and this is the Supplement and Nutrition section of it. If you were still into “hardcore body building” you wouldn’t be starting threads like this.

Raj’s post hit the nail on the head.

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:

I wish people would do this. Most of society are sheep and need everything laid out in front of them and follow whatever they see on tv. Because if it’s on tv it’s absolutely true and no profits are made from any commercials. [/quote]

It IS necessary for society to be composed of sheep-like personalities. Mother nature made it so. Otherwise, not a goddamn thing would get done.

What matters most is that the people with the mechanisms of propaganda are good people, and this is not the case in modern times.

Please refer to book Propaganda by Edward Bernays (free online) and Propaganda by Jacques Ellul.

Propaganda is NOT bad as long as propagandists have the well being of who’s being propagandized to in mind.

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:
My reply didn’t go through yesterday…Brick, your a knowledgeable guy. You used to be the one i looked for in the latest replies on the BB and Beginners section (along with PX, Stu, C_C etc…).

With your current profile picture and these threads your starting it’s hard to take you seriously anymore, it makes you look very one sided (not that you care what i think, but others are starting to think this too i’m sure). I would hate for you to get blown into obscurity like other members.

I’m glad your passionate on what lifestyle you choose, congrats, i think everybody should be full force with whatever they are doing. But, this is a Body Building website and this is the Supplement and Nutrition section of it. If you were still into “hardcore body building” you wouldn’t be starting threads like this.

Raj’s post hit the nail on the head.
[/quote]

I am mostly in agreement with this.