Food Guide Pyramid

[quote]therajraj wrote:
This diet won’t make 95% of the population obese. It just isn’t optimal.[/quote]

Correct.

I’m simply asking others how this is to blame for making us a bunch of physically degenerated sloths.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
The staircase should be located on the meat side. Everyone knows the grain side is a slippery slope :P[/quote]

This is pretty funny

Actually, if we were to break this down, we’d probably get a macronutrient spread looking something like:

50-65% CHO
15-25% P
20-25% F

That’s actually the breakdown of how MANY athletes eat, and they seem to be doing just fine! You know, like world records in some cases.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
Actually, if we were to break this down, we’d probably get a macronutrient spread looking something like:

50-65% CHO
15-25% P
20-25% F

That’s actually the breakdown of how MANY athletes eat, and they seem to be doing just fine! You know, like world records in some cases. [/quote]

I apologize for the earlier rant. Your breakdown may work for world class athletes, the pyramid is average joe and his fat ass wife jenny. Why isn’t blood work mandatory for people so they can get a better grasp on what they should eat instead of guessing and making one guide for everyone to follow?

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

50-65% CHO
15-25% P
20-25% F

That’s actually the breakdown of how MANY athletes eat, and they seem to be doing just fine! You know, like world records in some cases. [/quote]

I apologize for the earlier rant. Your breakdown may work for world class athletes, the pyramid is average joe and his fat ass wife jenny. Why isn’t blood work mandatory for people so they can get a better grasp on what they should eat instead of guessing and making one guide for everyone to follow? [/quote]

Personal responsibility perhaps? Who the hell wants to put the tax money in for something like that?

I’m kind of in agreement with dnlcdstn, I don’t really see any point to your recent posts bricknyce, just seems like your trying to start arguments but only care to hear your side.

I love the fact that people have different opinions, views, and beliefs, that’s what makes us human, but lately it seems like your (bricknyce) just posting to rile people up on the same issue. Everyone is aware of where you stand now, either bring something new to the table to discuss, or hold off.

Just my thoughts, not meant to be a personal attack.

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

50-65% CHO
15-25% P
20-25% F

I apologize for the earlier rant. Your breakdown may work for world class athletes, the pyramid is average joe and his fat ass wife jenny. Why isn’t blood work mandatory for people so they can get a better grasp on what they should eat instead of guessing and making one guide for everyone to follow? [/quote]

It’s OK; I don’t mind your rant. It’s just in my thousands of posts, I can only think of very few in which I’ve told people they’re wrong, and as of late, the only thing I call people out on is their ZERO amount of knowledge on what a dietitian’s training, education, and profession is, not to mention total lack of experience in dietetics in the first place!

I believe it will work for most physically active people, whether they’re world class or not.

I don’t recommend excessively high carbs for sedentary people as it’s been shown to be associated with hyperlipidemia, overweight, and cardiovascular.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

50-65% CHO
15-25% P
20-25% F

Personal responsibility perhaps? Who the hell wants to put the tax money in for something like that?
[/quote]

Have you seen the state of health care? Responsibility is a great idea in theory, in reality
not so much. This is a free enterprise nation and we can’t stop people from making shit or eating that shit. Fat ass people should be legally beaten just like drunks or any other abuser of substance (meaning food is also a substance).

Being in Canada I can see why you don’t want anymore taxes. That shit is brutal.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
I’m kind of in agreement with dnlcdstn, I don’t really see any point to your recent posts bricknyce, just seems like your trying to start arguments but only care to hear your side.

I love the fact that people have different opinions, views, and beliefs, that’s what makes us human, but lately it seems like your (bricknyce) just posting to rile people up on the same issue. Everyone is aware of where you stand now, either bring something new to the table to discuss, or hold off.

Just my thoughts, not meant to be a personal attack.[/quote]

The funny thing is that my current fitness and nutrition habits have absolutely nothing to do with this post. What would it?

And where do I stand on ALL things related to contemporary and sports nutrition. Despite my current habits, my view on sports and contemporary nutrition have not changed. So how do you know where I stand?

Do I not believe in the merits of high protein intake in some cases; carb loading or cycling; PSMF’s; and pre-contest prep dieting for bodybuilding competition? Do I still not beleive in specific manipulation of macronutrients to get a desired result?

What does this pyramid have to do with MY current habits of having 3 meals and 2 snacks a day and my loss of desire to be huge?

Where did I say anyone was wrong? Provide some posts in which I tell people they’re wrong other than when they denigrate my profession when they have no education or experience in it?!

How do you know I haven’t tried a “Paleo-like” diet approach before? I did, despite the fact that I wouldn’t consider it Paleo, rather it was simply a diet with zero grains, sparing amounts of beans, and plenty of fruits, veggies, and healthy oils. I did that when I needed to lose weight.

if people followed the food pyramid, obesity would decrease in amercia, but not by much.

criticisms:

1. the oils part is too small. many oils such as flax, olive and coconut are very healthy. olive oil in particular reduces ldl as it did with me, so increasing the oils might help reduce cholesterol in this country.

but…people might start gulping down some cheap vegetable oil.

1. i know this seems repetitive as many people say this, but sedentary people don’t need that many grains. the grains should be switched with fruits and vegetables which are whole foods as well and carbs just like the grains.

2. there should be more meat and protein sources in this. many athletes eat alot of carbs because they use it in their training sessions. sedentary people don’t need that many carbs. they don’t need protein as much as people like us do, so protein powder for a sedentary person is not needed but more meat is

but…people might use a larger meat section as an excuse to eat kfc everyday.

1. less milk. many people like myself get stomach problems from it. my parents do also but they still drink it because"you’re supposed to"

5.not really a criticism, but a rant. breakfast cereal and white bread should be vilified by rd’s. i can’t stand it when they tell people to eat this stuff. it’s better than no breakfast, but it’s refined carbs, the stuff that gives carbs a bad name. i personally went from 37%bf with high cholesterol, insulin and triglycerides to 19%bf with perfect blood work in 4 months by cutting those 2 things!

We need more yelling! I truly thought this thread would rival the not meant to eat thread.

But seriously, I would like to see more real life results like the dl500 post. We can read numbers off a piece of paper all day, but when we have walking, talking study it means so much more.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

Just my thoughts, not meant to be a personal attack.[/quote]

The funny thing is that my current fitness and nutrition habits have absolutely nothing to do with this post. What would it?

And where do I stand on ALL things related to contemporary and sports nutrition. Despite my current habits, my view on sports and contemporary nutrition have not changed. So how do you know where I stand?

Do I not believe in the merits of high protein intake in some cases; carb loading or cycling; PSMF’s; and pre-contest prep dieting for bodybuilding competition? Do I still not beleive in specific manipulation of macronutrients to get a desired result?

What does this pyramid have to do with MY current habits of having 3 meals and 2 snacks a day and my loss of desire to be huge?

Where did I say anyone was wrong? Provide some posts in which I tell people they’re wrong other than when they denigrate my profession when they have no education or experience in it?!

How do you know I haven’t tried a “Paleo-like” diet approach before? I did, despite the fact that I wouldn’t consider it Paleo, rather it was simply a diet with zero grains, sparing amounts of beans, and plenty of fruits, veggies, and healthy oils. I did that when I needed to lose weight.

[/quote]

I wasn’t referencing your current fitness habits, just the fact that you seem to be harping on how some people dislike grains. I in no way wish to force my diet and lifestyle habits on anyone, nor do I think anybody else should do the same.

I could care less who has tried the Paleo approach and who hasn’t, to each his own. I fully acknowledge that their are a variety of different diet and lifestyle approaches that work for people. I think the way you started this thread was fine, with a simply question.

It just seems that when some people post answers, you tend to question/criticise them if their answers aren’t what you were looking for or in line with your methods. If you ask a question, you should be ready for a variety of answers. That’s it, that’s all.

With all this talk about sedentary lifestyle, did ANYONE see PHYSICAL ACTIVITY listed in the diagram?

… be vilified by rd’s. i can’t stand it when they tell people to eat this stuff."

I associate and communicate with MANY RDs. NOT ONE would recommend processed junk or white bread to someone who has access to whole-grain varieties. What RD’s have you come across that suggest people eat Wonder Bread if they have access to something else.

And I LAUGH at all this talk of obese RDs. People can take a visit to my Facebook page in which I have on my buddylist about 150 RDs who are not only overweight, but damn good looking and/or of normal bodyweight or VERY GOOD body composition. Most of the women in my photos there are RDs. At the most, you can point to ONE who is overweight, and that’s because she’s battled a REAL medical condition causing overweight. She was actually one of the most competent people I went to school with, proving that body composition has almost nothing to do with our job requirements. (Not once did I have to go shirtless on an interview with a manager or administrator of a nursing home or hospital.)

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

50-65% CHO
15-25% P
20-25% F

It’s OK; I don’t mind your rant. It’s just in my thousands of posts, I can only think of very few in which I’ve told people they’re wrong, and as of late, the only thing I call people out on is their ZERO amount of knowledge on what a dietitian’s training, education, and profession is, not to mention total lack of experience in dietetics in the first place!

I believe it will work for most physically active people, whether they’re world class or not.

I don’t recommend excessively high carbs for sedentary people as it’s been shown to be associated with hyperlipidemia, overweight, and cardiovascular.

[/quote]
What is excessively high carbs for sedentary people for you?

I think a lot of the points/topics Brick brings up on these forums are not of the concern of the people on these boards.

No one on these boards has any interest in following a food pyramid. We all strive to follow/figure out diets that work for us personally to help us reach our goals optimally. This thread is purely for entertainment and really has no value to anyone on these boards.

Just wanna throw this out there… At T Nation we pride ourselves on seeking the newest, most cutting edge technology concerned with muscle building and overall health. How may times have we read articles about how ass backwards studies are or how the old way of doing things is obsolete?

Not attacking you Brick, but SOME NOT ALL of the things people study are just wrong. I mean not long ago fat was a huge villain and eggs were cholesterol bombs. We constantly argue about how much protein one can ingest in a given time. 9 grams every hour or whatever. Soooo, what I’m saying is I don’t put as much trust into books as I do people who have done their own “studies” and yield results whether good or bad.

The FDA can suck my dick, wait no they can’t. They’re not good enough. Money has way too much influences on government. Lobbyist sway a lot of opinion. I love how cereal companies put “diets rich in plant based foods increase heart health” or something like that. Thing is those plant based foods are veges not processed grains.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
… be vilified by rd’s. i can’t stand it when they tell people to eat this stuff."

I associate and communicate with MANY RDs. NOT ONE would recommend processed junk or white bread to someone who has access to whole-grain varieties. What RD’s have you come across that suggest people eat Wonder Bread if they have access to something else.

And I LAUGH at all this talk of obese RDs. People can take a visit to my Facebook page in which I have on my buddylist about 150 RDs who are not only overweight, but damn good looking and/or of normal bodyweight or VERY GOOD body composition. Most of the women in my photos there are RDs. At the most, you can point to ONE who is overweight, and that’s because she’s battled a REAL medical condition causing overweight. She was actually one of the most competent people I went to school with, proving that body composition has almost nothing to do with our job requirements. (Not once did I have to go shirtless on an interview with a manager or administrator of a nursing home or hospital.)[/quote]

for one my rd, dr. shah, she gave me recommendations to eat more bread and cereal.
now, many rd’s do recommend whole grain, but mine said to not care and just eat more bread,
and she recommended lucky charms and fruit loops since their “kid freindly” cereals.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
With all this talk about sedentary lifestyle, did ANYONE see PHYSICAL ACTIVITY listed in the diagram? [/quote]
While encouraging physical activity is always good, most of America is sedentary. Would you make any adjustments to the food pyramid for people who are not interested in becoming physically active?

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

And I LAUGH at all this talk of obese RDs. People can take a visit to my Facebook page in which I have on my buddylist about 150 RDs who are not only overweight, but damn good looking and/or of normal bodyweight or VERY GOOD body composition. Most of the women in my photos there are RDs. At the most, you can point to ONE who is overweight, and that’s because she’s battled a REAL medical condition causing overweight. She was actually one of the most competent people I went to school with, proving that body composition has almost nothing to do with our job requirements. (Not once did I have to go shirtless on an interview with a manager or administrator of a nursing home or hospital.)[/quote]
Is there any significant physiological difference between white bread and whole grain bread?